Anybody driven in England?

Augustus

I've been researching flight/hotel prices for a trip to Europe in March, and I've been looking at flying to Munich then visiting Berchtesgaden and Venice.  The thing is, I've wanted to explore England my entire life--every inch of it, but beginning with York (some history I want to explore) and the Lake District (some beauty I want to explore).  

Every time I book a trip to Europe I'm thinking to myself "I'll visit England next year but I want to see ______ on the continent first."  I finally realized part of the reason I keep postponing England is because I'm really worried about driving on the wrong side of the road in a car they misplaced the steering wheel in.  No matter where I go I rent a car so I can explore whatever I want on my own schedule, and I'll be doing to same in the UK, so I decided to stop letting this apprehension keep me from visiting a place I've been wanting to see forever.

I've read tons of websites online with suggestions for Americans driving in England for the first time, but I wanted to hear from some folks who aren't promoting travel to England or their own website.

There have to be a bunch of you who've driven over there.  Any comments about your experience would be most welcome.

I don't want to be over there driving around like Otto, the former CIA operative turned jewel thief.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

It takes about 10 minutes to adjust and then you’re fine. It quickly becomes 2nd nature. The biggest annoyance is that you activate the windshield wipers instead of your turn signal out of habit. Haven’t driven in England but I have in Australia and New Zealand. I have ridden in a car in England and some of the roads are narrow enough that 2 cars may not make it traveling opposite directions. 

I wouldn’t even consider driving in London. When I drove in France, we took a train outside of Paris and rented a car there.

Definitely get an automatic.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

It takes about 10 minutes to adjust and then you’re fine. It quickly becomes 2nd nature. The biggest annoyance is that you activate the windshield wipers instead of your turn signal out of habit. Haven’t driven in England but I have in Australia and New Zealand. I have ridden in a car in England and some of the roads are narrow enough that 2 cars may not make it traveling opposite directions. 

I wouldn’t even consider driving in London. When I drove in France, we took a train outside of Paris and rented a car there.

This.  If you are traveling with a female, I would gave some consideration to her stress level when you are in the car over here.  My very limited experience tells me at will be 10x worse over there, and the wiper/blinker thing does not help that situation.  We ended up ditching the car while in the city, and using it in the country.  Stress level was greatly reduced once the traffic went away.  This was in South Africa, not England, and I strongly suspect that orher drivers were a little more aggressive there than they will be in England, but I would think the same principles apply.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This.  If you are traveling with a female, I would gave some consideration to her stress level when you are in the car over here.  My very limited experience tells me at will be 10x worse over there, and the wiper/blinker thing does not help that situation.  We ended up ditching the car while in the city, and using it in the country.  Stress level was greatly reduced once the traffic went away.  This was in South Africa, not England, and I strongly suspect that orher drivers were a little more aggressive there than they will be in England, but I would think the same principles apply.

Good advice. My wife was freaking out every time we entered a tunnel because she though that I was too close to the wall. She didn’t drive at all for the entire 2 weeks. Just remember to look to the right at roundabouts because you are veering left.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I've driven across France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.  I absolutely loathe driving in Paris and won't do so again unless it's completely unavoidable.  

Didn't even occur to me to think about the wiper/turn signal deal.

I'm greatly encouraged by the responses.  Much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Good advice. My wife was freaking out every time we entered a tunnel because she though that I was too close to the wall. She didn’t drive at all for the entire 2 weeks. Just remember to look to the right at roundabouts because you are veering left.

Xanax is a helluva drug, unfortunately the wife used a 2 week supply on the drive from the airport to the hotel.  At that point I decided that Uber was probably a good idea for that leg of the trip.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Disagree in part w/the feel of the car point, agree with most of the rest. Just got back from a week in UK, plus have driven numerous times in British-cultured countries (i.e. Caribbean). One thing apparently new, some cars now have blinkers on left side/wipers on right as we're used to (my car did), especially rental cars made in other countries.

It doesn't take long to get the basic feel of the car, but driving there has a variety of conditions and unusual stuff. Plus, no matter what, it takes most Americans a lot more focus to keep the car centered on the left side - being used to driving on the right, most of us are pretty much unconscious about that. But in Britain, you are constantly thinking about it, taking up brainpower that normally is used for 2nd-level functions in an American car.

The dreaded roundabouts are okay especially if you're used to any kind of traffic circles in the States (flowing clockwise though of course in UK), but there are some harrowing situations. One is that many of the "A" routes (usually 2 lane or 4 lane undivided) where you're going 65 suddenly end in a large roundabout, with medians between the lanes within the circle! This means you have to get into the exact lane you want or else just end up going the wrong way. The only way to overcome this is sheer familiarity - knowing the road exactly. 1-2 times over it will solve the problem usually. Also, most routes have the directions painted on the roadway, which gives little notice and often the writing is worn off. Yes they do have signs but often they're plied with a diagram of the roundabout, with as many as 3-4 routes marked and a list of destinations under each - it's like a page from War and Peace at times. Fortunately most roundabouts are smaller and less crowded with signage and traffic. The major routes (the "M"s), equal to interstates, are easy to drive but the flow is reversed - faster lanes towards the right, not left, and 90% of on/off ramps are on the left of the main highway.

You are correct about the roads being narrow - and in fact most of them are much narrower than here (again the "M"s are wide though). Many roads have to waft through Medieval towns and so the lanes are very narrow.  It does take a little practice to get used to the turns - right turn is across traffic while left is a direct turn. That's not too hard but yes there are some places you might not easily be able to see the lanes (British markings are a little rough sometimes).

Driving isn't too hard and can actually be fun there. But make no mistake - it takes a lot more energy and concentration than in the States, mostly because you can't afford to relax and go "brain dead" as you can do here, being so used to it. The main thing is start out on unbusy roads, get the feel, and then work up into traffic only after being VERY comfortable with the car's handling. But it can be done without much struggle. BTW they still rent out (and drive) far more sticks than automatics... they're getting more in the rental car stocks, but it might cost extra (I always drive a stick and it's a lot of fun, plus it keeps me focused more than an automatic).

Don't worry about driving in London - you pay a fee to be able to do so (congestion fee). Great idea. For most big cities, the speeds are slower so you have more time, but the worst enemy for an American driving in Britain - the dreaded one-way street - lurks. The #1 cause of accidents is thinking you're going the "British" way turning on a street but it's one way, or you come out of a one-way where traffic suddenly has 2 ways (and is often not well marked). But that's fairly rare, though worth mentioning.

All in all, driving in Britain can get fun but for Americans you really can never let up. It takes more out of you but as long as you stay focused, it's fine - and weirdly differently enjoyable. It's also sinful and evil, but that's another story.

Edit: The comments about wives/passengers going batshit cray with stress is spot on. It's VERY tough sitting in the passenger seat constantly watching the car get way too close to curbs and shit on their side (the left). My wife had a terrible time and frankly hated it even though she said I drove well (well except the one time I hit a low curb sticking out at night on an unfamiliar Oxford road!). Be sure each person smokes a peace pipe - driver says I won't yell at passenger for looking horrified, and passenger promises not to mother-in-law it to shout comments like "you're too far over!" or "watch it" and whatnot. Passengers unused to UK driving probably get much more stressed out than drivers, who are at least doing something and have some control over it!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Rented a car for a few weeks in Scotland.  I actually thought driving in the  towns was easier in a way---when I was out in the country it was easy to subconsciously get more into old habits and start driving toward the right side of the road.  In traffic, it was much easier just to see what everyone else was doing and follow them.  I'm sure driving in London would be a nightmare, though.  Also, I recommend getting an automatic.  Rented a manual, thought it would be no problem since I've had tons of stick shift cars, but shifting with my left hand was one extra thing to think about, in addition to all the other differences of driving on the left.

It's as easy as following the car ahead of you. The only caution, other than to say that you don't want to drive in London proper but that's just because of traffic and the many better alternatives to driving, is to avoid renting a manual. The rest is easy and once you've driven for a few minutes you'll be adjusted to it.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I identify with this thread. I don't like diving on vacation because i like to drink. Almost killed my family by turning into the train lane in Ulm, Germany. Fuck driving in city centers in Europe.

Going to Scotland in 3 weeks. Not renting a car.

Drive between destinations.  Uber when you get there.  Driving through the countryside in a foreign country is wonderful.  You get a feel for a country that you wouldn’t get skipping between cities via train or plane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

The dreaded roundabouts are okay especially if you're used to any kind of traffic circles in the States (flowing clockwise though of course in UK), but there are some harrowing situations. One is that many of the "A" routes (usually 2 lane or 4 lane undivided) where you're going 65 suddenly end in a large roundabout, with medians between the lanes within the circle! This means you have to get into the exact lane you want or else just end up going the wrong way. The only way to overcome this is sheer familiarity - knowing the road exactly. 1-2 times over it will solve the problem usually. Also, most routes have the directions painted on the roadway, which gives little notice and often the writing is worn off. Yes they do have signs but often they're plied with a diagram of the roundabout, with as many as 3-4 routes marked and a list of destinations under each - it's like a page from War and Peace at times. Fortunately most roundabouts are smaller and less crowded with signage and traffic. The major routes (the "M"s), equal to interstates, are easy to drive but the flow is reversed - faster lanes towards the right, not left, and 90% of on/off ramps are on the left of the main highway.

Couldn't help but wonder if there aren't youtube vids that might help.

Youtube Search:  "A route roundabouts in UK"

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Disagree in part w/the feel of the car point, agree with most of the rest. Just got back from a week in UK, plus have driven numerous times in British-cultured countries (i.e. Caribbean). One thing apparently new, some cars now have blinkers on left side/wipers on right as we're used to (my car did), especially rental cars made in other countries.

It doesn't take long to get the basic feel of the car, but driving there has a variety of conditions and unusual stuff. Plus, no matter what, it takes most Americans a lot more focus to keep the car centered on the left side - being used to driving on the right, most of us are pretty much unconscious about that. But in Britain, you are constantly thinking about it, taking up brainpower that normally is used for 2nd-level functions in an American car.

You are correct about the roads being narrow - and in fact most of them are much narrower than here (again the "M"s are wide though). Many roads have to waft through Medieval towns and so the lanes are very narrow.  It does take a little practice to get used to the turns - right turn is across traffic while left is a direct turn. That's not too hard but yes there are some places you might not easily be able to see the lanes (British markings are a little rough sometimes).

Driving isn't too hard and can actually be fun there. But make no mistake - it takes a lot more energy and concentration than in the States, mostly because you can't afford to relax and go "brain dead" as you can do here, being so used to it. The main thing is start out on unbusy roads, get the feel, and then work up into traffic only after being VERY comfortable with the car's handling. But it can be done without much struggle. BTW they still rent out (and drive) far more sticks than automatics... they're getting more in the rental car stocks, but it might cost extra (I always drive a stick and it's a lot of fun, plus it keeps me focused more than an automatic).

Don't worry about driving in London - you pay a fee to be able to do so (congestion fee). Great idea. For most big cities, the speeds are slower so you have more time, but the worst enemy for an American driving in Britain - the dreaded one-way street - lurks. The #1 cause of accidents is thinking you're going the "British" way turning on a street but it's one way, or you come out of a one-way where traffic suddenly has 2 ways (and is often not well marked). But that's fairly rare, though worth mentioning.

All in all, driving in Britain can get fun but for Americans you really can never let up. It takes more out of you but as long as you stay focused, it's fine - and weirdly differently enjoyable. It's also sinful and evil, but that's another story.

Edit: The comments about wives/passengers going batshit cray with stress is spot on. It's VERY tough sitting in the passenger seat constantly watching the car get way too close to curbs and shit on their side (the left). My wife had a terrible time and frankly hated it even though she said I drove well (well except the one time I hit a low curb sticking out at night on an unfamiliar Oxford road!). Be sure each person smokes a peace pipe - driver says I won't yell at passenger for looking horrified, and passenger promises not to mother-in-law it to shout comments like "you're too far over!" or "watch it" and whatnot. Passengers unused to UK driving probably get much more stressed out than drivers, who are at least doing something and have some control over it!

Good luck with your edit.  Fun drill, when you rent a car for the first time in a country who drives on the other side of the road, take a walk around the lot and look at all of the wheels on the left side of the car.  Take pictures and document the road rash on the wheels, because it will exist on most cars on the lot.

Drive between destinations.  Uber when you get there.  Driving through the countryside in a foreign country is wonderful.  You get a feel for a country that you wouldn’t get skipping between cities via train or plane.
Yeah, love driving in the countryside. Hate driving in city centers. Learned real quick to set navigation to the nearest parking garage. I'll pass on driving in Europe unless it is necessary.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Yeah, love driving in the countryside. Hate driving in city centers. Learned real quick to set navigation to the nearest parking garage. I'll pass on driving in Europe unless it is necessary.

My wife damn near had a mental breakdown when we tried to drive around Cape Town.  In her defense, the drivers there are fucking crazy.  After our time there we headed east for a few days, left at 5:00 a.m. to make it on time to our shark cage diving appointment, so no traffic in the morning, doubled back a few days later toward Cape Town with a stop in the wine country.  The airport in Cape Town is east of the city so we didn’t really have to deal with traffic again.  City=Uber.  Country=rental. I think this probably applies to any country.

• Like 1

I had a bit of an adventure driving in Australia earlier this month.

I spent a week in Australia at the beginning of October,  including 2 days in Perth where I rented a Car.  I could have used public transportation and Uber,  but I'd never driven in a wrong-side-of-the-road country before and wanted to try it.    Phdhorn hit the nail on the head in post #7.  It's not hard, but it takes more of your focus.    I was able to drive through the morning commute to the Central Business District (i.e. downtown) in a city twice the size of Austin without any problem, but I was completely focused on driving and Google Maps.  

On my last night there, I was heading back to my hotel near the beach/coast after an exhausting day and decided to get a fast food snack a few files from the hotel.  At about 1AM,  I pull away from the drive thru with my food and start to make a right-turn in to the near lane.  With virtually no traffic to remind me of the flow, and clearly not enough focus, auto-pilot took over.  I probably only got half way through the turn onto the road before I realized my mistake and backed up...then turned right into the far lane.  No blood, no foul, right?  Ah, no.    About a minute down the road I got lit up by cop lights. Fuck. I've been pulled over for tickets before in the US, but I know what US laws are, and I know what cops can and can not do.  It never occurred to me to research that for Australia.

They were pretty chill, but they told me that based on my driving I was going to need to go with them to the station for a breathalyzer.   I wasn't sure if it was a request I could refuse, or an order that I had to comply with.  I've since looked it up, and it was an order that there was no option of saying no. 

A ride in a Police Van, a breathalyzer, and an hour of my time later it was all sorted and I was back at my hotel, and as an added bonus, they didn't give me a ticket for initial turn into the wrong lane.   

• Like 1

Spent almost two weeks driving in Scotland. I'm echoing what others have said (especially @phdhorn in #7)

1. LOOK RIGHT

2. Get an Automatic

3. The Roads are shockingly narrow.

4. Your passenger has to be able to warn you about drifting in a calm, collected way.  Grabbing the oh shit handle and screaming is not acceptable.

Check out the local DUI laws.  Some countries have acceptable BACs so low, you may have to skip even a glass of wine with dinner.

EDIT: Really inspect your care before you pull out.  I ended up negotiating with SIXT for months about Road Rash that was not mine. 

Edited by Bateshorn

learn the way you're supposed to use blinkers for roundabouts.  if you figure that out you can find cars that have the same exit and follow them so you're in the correct lane.  trust google maps, even if it doesn't look right.  driving stick there is really fun.  don't worry about being in the city, you'll be fine.  just follow traffic and allocate an extra 20 minutes in case you get lost. it's not that bad.

24 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

2. Get an Automatic

EDIT: Really inspect your care before you pull out.  I ended up negotiating with SIXT for months about Road Rash that was not mine. 

#2 is bolded for emphasis.  The wheels on the left side of the car get abused in these countries.  I took pictures before we left the airport because there was no way I could do more damage than was already there, which made me feel better when I brushed up against the curb in the hotel parking lot.

the way, i always checked myself is, my body should be positioned - as related to a 2 lane road - in the middle and not the shoulder.

any half decent driver will get adjusted to driving on the left hand side pretty quickly. I wouldn't fret about it at all.

agree with the blinker vs. windshield wipers.. but my last experience was 20 years ago. Cars may have changed.

Edited by yoladu

A couple of people mentioned alcohol, so I'll just chime in with don't even think about having a single drink and then driving. You need to concentrate on the road and they take DWIs very seriously there. Plus, you'll be in England so you'll always be within walking/stumbling distance of a pub.

And to just echo what everyone else has said, it'll take a day or two to adjust, but you'll be fine. After a couple of days driving through Ireland, I could have outrun Jason Bourne in a car chase around Dublin. OK, maybe not, but I felt like I could.

• Like 1

A couple things not mentioned:

1) You're really acclimated to looking up and to your right for your rear-view mirror.  That's a tough habit to break.  It took me several days.  Until then, I was reliant on my right-side mirror and doing a bit of using the Force to change lanes.

2) Outside of Central London, signage really sucks.  Google Maps ameliorates that to a large degree.  But street signs are going to be on the sides of buildings or non-existent.  So don't expect you're going to see street signs where you would expect to see them in the United States.

By about the third or forth day of driving, you'll be perfectly acclimated.  Particularly in the countryside, it quickly becomes no big deal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

The biggest annoyance is that you activate the windshield wipers instead of your turn signal out of habit

So irritating. And some native always happens to be in the car with you to make sure you get laughed at. 

driven in uk and a/nz.  it's not a big deal.  you just (1) follow other cars.  or (2) its a single-lane country road anyway.  or (3) its dual-lane but low trafficked anyway.

im a life-long manual driver so that wasn't any different, but many modern cars in europe are now auto equipped so wouldn't be hard to find.

lots of hedged roads get really narrow, so if you dont need a large car, downsize.

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/30/2022 at 6:41 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I’ve never had any issues with it.

My experience was that drivers in the UK are much more polite than US drivers. However, when walking or shopping behind a grocery cart those brits will try to plow right over you. Kind of the opposite from the US except for perhaps NYC, though there you expect sidewalk issues due mostly to tourists. That was all my perhaps somewhat odd observation though. And it may have changed naturally over time or maybe as economic frustration has grown in the UK.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:37 PM, 52-80 said:

driven in uk and a/nz.  it's not a big deal.  you just (1) follow other cars.  or (2) its a single-lane country road anyway.  or (3) its dual-lane but low trafficked anyway.

im a life-long manual driver so that wasn't any different, but many modern cars in europe are now auto equipped so wouldn't be hard to find.

lots of hedged roads get really narrow, so if you dont need a large car, downsize.

Everything I've driven in Europe, with the exception of 2 weeks in Provence, it's been a manual.  Until I bought my Stinger in 2018, I had a manual.

On 10/31/2022 at 9:28 AM, Bateshorn said:

Spent almost two weeks driving in Scotland. I'm echoing what others have said (especially @phdhorn in #7)

1. LOOK RIGHT

2. Get an Automatic

3. The Roads are shockingly narrow.

4. Your passenger has to be able to warn you about drifting in a calm, collected way.  Grabbing the oh shit handle and screaming is not acceptable.

Check out the local DUI laws.  Some countries have acceptable BACs so low, you may have to skip even a glass of wine with dinner.

Same. Fought with SIXT from 2016-2017 over a left front wheel scrape from a London shitbox Vauxhall rental, charged to my Citibank Visa. Citi eventually took their side, one of several reasons I will never give them a dime ever again.