2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

4 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Make Brian Hartline an offer he can’t refuse. At the very least make Ohio State pony up a shit ton more.

Dude's an Ohio State grad from Ohio with family and in-laws in Ohio. It'd be a really tough pull and the next-step title for him would be OC.

Edited by Reese Bennett

I’ve always felt Marion would only be here for a short period of time. One thing Mack Brown did well, or at least tried to, was to get assistants to commit to three years before moving on to create recruiting and coaching stability.

It didn’t always work, but stability is pretty important unless you’re as anal as Saban and have three ring binders of processes implemented.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Keary Colbert is connected to Sarkisian and he was the first rumored WR coach candidate when Seven Win Steve got the job at Texas. He’s at UF right now. That one wouldn’t surprise me. 

In a similar vein, would not be surprised if Tee Martin came up.

3 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Did Tee Martin get absolved from the Tennessee/Pruitt stuff? He was technically on that staff, but I cannot see that he was implicated in the scandal directly.

Also his son plays baseball for U of Miami.
Would absolutely love him in staff though.

Tee Martin is coaching for the Ravens in NFL

• Hook 'Em 1

Everyone knew Marion was here for the short term the day he took the job and like @texifornia said, the timing works out about as well as it possibly could have. I’m fine with it.

Marion was a really good recruiter, but as a coach, the WRs didn’t look particularly great this year. As long as it doesn’t affect the incoming recruits or Neyor, it works out. I’m not sure I even care anymore if it affects Worthy.

• Like 1

Lots of CFB coaches together next few days...

The 2023 AFCA Convention will be held January 8-10th in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Speakers:

• DABO SWINNEY, CLEMSON
  • BRET BIELEMA, ILLINOIS
  • MAURICE LINGUIST, BUFFALO
  • WILLIE FRITZ, TULANE 
  • JONATHAN SMITH, OREGON ST 
  • DAN CASEY, EPISCOPAL HS (TX),

(Yah happy @GreenspointTexas 😋)

Schedule

https://convention.afca.com/schedule/

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Is Jeff Scott still available?

That would be a home run hire. Give him a Co-OC title for pay and he’d be an extra set of eyes on the field for Sark. 

Malcolm Kelly would be a good hire as well. 

Obligatory mention of Tee Martin as is for all WR coaching searches 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

A- Hartline

B- Malcolm Kelly, Emmett Jones, Ra'shaad Samples, Dennis Simmons, Jeff Scott

C- Tyron Carrier, Holmon Wiggins

There are definitely more B and C options out there. 

Carrier went from WVU, to Houston, to sitting out of football for two years and then ending up at Texas A&M Commerce - there is something in his past that he is now paying for.

Sheesh people, Hartline is not making a lateral move anywhere. Doubt Simmons would move either.

I like Malcolm Kelly, Emmett Jones, Wiggins. Don't know much about Colbert but seems pretty solid.

Also, obligatory question - could Margin Hooks be a candidate? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Hooks posted this same thing 3 times (different articles). Maybe he's interested?

Not to bring this name up - but the only 'personal trainer' I'm aware of Texas hiring as a position coach is Jay Valai - but he had 1 year of experience coaching at Rutgers.  Is anyone aware of any other personal trainer hires Texas has made?

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not to bring this name up - but the only 'personal trainer' I'm aware of Texas hiring as a position coach is Jay Valai - but he had 1 year of experience coaching at Rutgers.  Is anyone aware of any other personal trainer hires Texas has made?

Valai came from Rutgers I thought. idk

Hooks also seems to be on an elite level as a trainer. Plus he has a lot of personal history with Sark. One thing is for sure - he'd instantly stock the room with tons of talent. Might be tricky for his non-pupils though.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd absolutely support Colbert. He's a USC grad who was there at the same time as Sark so it could have been tough pulling him a couple years ago, thanks Lincoln for cleaning house. WR was a big strength there despite Helton being a complete fuckup. He can definitely point to Drake London and Amon-Ra St. Brown as his dudes he developed there. 

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Hooks also seems to be on an elite level as a trainer. Plus he has a lot of personal history with Sark. One thing is for sure - he'd instantly stock the room with tons of talent. Might be tricky for his non-pupils though.

Not sure if it’s true, but Suchomel said Sarkiskan and Hooks barely crossed paths at BYU and the relationship is overblown.

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

I think they can definitely do better then a familiar, good recruiting RB’s coach for the next WR’s coach.  

I would say the #1 job of a WR coach is to recruit.

Like you said, the biggest concern with him is that he hasn’t coached receivers since he was an analyst at Texas back in 2019, but I don’t think that’s a deal breaker. Marion didn’t start coaching receivers until 2020. Spent the beginning of his career at RB and QB/OC

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

I would argue that while we all know Samples is a recruiting plus, based on production out of the WR room last year we should be looking for someone who can develop. We already have recruiting witches on staff.

That’s a fair argument. But I could also argue that no WR coach in America is going to look good trotting out Tarique Milton and Casey Cain as their #3 receiver option. If you get the Jimmy and Joes, that position becomes pretty damn easy to coach.

There are developmental aspects of that position but with the 7 v 7 stuff nowadays and personal trainers, these guys are coming into college more advanced than ever before.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That’s a fair argument. But I could also argue that no WR coach in America is going to look good trotting out Tarique Milton and Casey Cain as their #3 receiver option. If you get the Jimmy and Joes, that position becomes pretty damn easy to coach.

There are developmental aspects of that position but with the 7 v 7 stuff nowadays and personal trainers, these guys are coming into college more advanced than ever before.

I don't disagree with the lack of quality depth, but having arguably our best receiver regress once they're brought on to coach.. certainly leads to some hard discussions no?

• Hook 'Em 5

Since no one else has mentioned this:

I know I have harped on this before but the NCAA is voting (next week I believe) to basically formalize the removal on coaching caps. You are still limited in how many coaches can directly interact with recruits during games but there will be no caps on how many can be on the field or helping to coach the players during the week. It is essentially just making legal what Bama and some others have been doing for years already anyway. The reason I bring this up is because inevitably Samples is going to get floated for our opening and just as inevitably people will bring up concerns about his player development skills. While those concerns are valid it really just doesn't matter as much moving forward because the position coach simply needs to set a tone and recruit well; actual development and technique can be handled by elite specialized assistants that can now have free reign in practice and development. 

TLDR: Coaching limit change coming next week means you can hire a 'recruiter first' guy and not have to sacrifice development assuming you have the budget to afford quality assistants under them (spoiler: we do). 

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I would argue that while we all know Samples is a recruiting plus, based on production out of the WR room last year we should be looking for someone who can develop. We already have recruiting witches on staff.

I agree. Underrated but I also think we need a guy who brings some "energy" like Marion did. 

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Since no one else has mentioned this:

I know I have harped on this before but the NCAA is voting (next week I believe) to basically formalize the removal on coaching caps. You are still limited in how many coaches can directly interact with recruits during games but there will be no caps on how many can be on the field or helping to coach the players during the week. It is essentially just making legal what Bama and some others have been doing for years already anyway. The reason I bring this up is because inevitably Samples is going to get floated for our opening and just as inevitably people will bring up concerns about his player development skills. While those concerns are valid it really just doesn't matter as much moving forward because the position coach simply needs to set a tone and recruit well; actual development and technique can be handled by elite specialized assistants that can now have free reign in practice and development. 

TLDR: Coaching limit change coming next week means you can hire a 'recruiter first' guy and not have to sacrifice development assuming you have the budget to afford quality assistants under them (spoiler: we do). 

this is a good point, and an interesting concept. So the idea is we could hire someone like Samples as our WR coach for the recruiting implications, but also add a developmental candidate like hooks?, (i'll use hooks as an example, I can't think of anyone else here).

• Hook 'Em 2