2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From the IT Scoop:

Two candidates mentioned for the WR coach - Samples at ASU and Justin Stepp from South Carolina.  Stepp was Chad Morris' WR coach at SMU and then Arkansas before moving to join Shane Beamer at South Carolina after Morris firing at Arkansas.

https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/football/roster/coach/justin-stepp/

They say that both the WR coach position and the HR Relations position are in high demand with candidates reaching out to Texas.

Does anyone have the running list of candidates talked about by our 995ers?

11 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Patterson worked his ass off. Patterson and Bo Davis got really close this year because they felt like they were the only coaches who were really full of “fire” consistently. Bo has told plenty of people that GP would be more upset at practice than actual position coaches and that was a major concern. People “believe” he could have been used even more than he was this year and they hope he comes back next year. 

To be fair to the other defensive coaches, they don't seem like screamers, and all Gideon has to do is stare. I think for sure the secondary coaches should be on thin ice, and I think Patterson absolutely helped Gideon, who is a young coach and probably needs the input. Hopefully we get Catalon and the defense takes another step forward next year by turning the elite number of pressures into game changing sacks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Our defense is vastly improved from the 2021 season.  But from the outside, it's hard to tell how much of that is Gary, and how much of that is PK adjusting to the Big 12 and deciding to no suck so much.

We'll never know for sure, but the times when the defense looked the best this year were when we played aggressive and used a lot of quarters, i.e. when we looked more like a Patterson defense than a PK defense. I think it's safe to say he played a pretty big role in the defensive improvement. PK still has a tendency to play very soft, off coverages when he isn't sure how to counter the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

Bo has told plenty of people that GP would be more upset at practice than actual position coaches and that was a major concern. 

I don't know the rules on this, but isn't he in an "off-field" position. he can be on the practice field?

10 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

I don't know the rules on this, but isn't he in an "off-field" position. he can be on the practice field?

There is new NCAA legislation to "allow" off-field coaches to work with players in practices, but it's being mostly laughed at because it's general knowledge that off-field coaches absolutely coach in practices at every school in the country

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

There is new NCAA legislation to "allow" off-field coaches to work with players in practices, but it's being mostly laughed at because it's general knowledge that off-field coaches absolutely coach in practices at every school in the country

Isn't this something that Michigan self reported or something? Or maybe thats an "analyst" that coached rather than an off the field role? I'm not well versed on the differences.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

To be fair to the other defensive coaches, they don't seem like screamers, and all Gideon has to do is stare. I think for sure the secondary coaches should be on thin ice, and I think Patterson absolutely helped Gideon, who is a young coach and probably needs the input. Hopefully we get Catalon and the defense takes another step forward next year by turning the elite number of pressures into game changing sacks.

He’s not talking specifically defense with what he says. He’s talking about all coaches including Sark….at least if he’s heard the same stuff I did 

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We'll never know for sure, but the times when the defense looked the best this year were when we played aggressive and used a lot of quarters, i.e. when we looked more like a Patterson defense than a PK defense. I think it's safe to say he played a pretty big role in the defensive improvement. PK still has a tendency to play very soft, off coverages when he isn't sure how to counter the offense. 

Imo we didn’t have the secondary depth needed to keep methodically playing more press and physical. I think next year while young we have higher floor and more depth at the secondary. 

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

Blake will forever be grateful to GP. GP invested a lot of time into Blake and hopefully continues to do so. The safety room was night and day different this year compared to last. 

GP’s main issue this year was he thought the scheme would get to soft at times. He too wanted to see more press looks and coverages versus some of the games where we let them have free five yard hitches and outs all game long. 

Ok, I’ve been noticing your posts and they seem to indicate some real knowledge of the situation. And because that knowledge aligns with my own preconceived biases, I’m going to give these posts a much heavier value than others. YES, this defense sometimes plays too soft on coverage!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

New posting on the UT Athletics website:

https://utaustin.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UTstaff/job/UT-MAIN-CAMPUS/Special-Assistant-to-the-Head-Coach_R_00017767

Is this Gary's position - or a new one?

It is the same as Gary's job. Makes sense to have the posting up so you can hire anytime, but disconcerting nonetheless. 

• Hook 'Em 2

IT 

*We’ll start with the WR coaching search. A name we haven’t mentioned but should is Baylor running backs coach Justin “Juice” Johnson. Though he’s running backs coach for the Bears, he played receiver at U of H under Kevin Sumlin and coached the position at Kansas. Admittedly, on the surface this would seem to be an odd choice but there would certainly be more than meets the eye that we would need to learn about.

15 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Emmett Jones off the board

Good hire for blowu. I kind of wanted Jones, but we already have such a strong DFW presence it would not surprise me to want someone with some Houston ties for recruiting. Venables got his ass kicked in DFW last cycle, not only by us, but by TCU as well. This would help them there.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Good hire for blowu. I kind of wanted Jones, but we already have such a strong DFW presence it would not surprise me to want someone with some Houston ties for recruiting. Venables got his ass kicked in DFW last cycle, not only by us, but by TCU as well. This would help them there.  

I mean, we had a strong DFW presence when Gilbert was on staff. Now, at this very moment? Not so much. TBD depending on the hire at WR and at Gilbert's position. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT 

*We’ll start with the WR coaching search. A name we haven’t mentioned but should is Baylor running backs coach Justin “Juice” Johnson. Though he’s running backs coach for the Bears, he played receiver at U of H under Kevin Sumlin and coached the position at Kansas. Admittedly, on the surface this would seem to be an odd choice but there would certainly be more than meets the eye that we would need to learn about.

Nahlin added that he would say Johnson is the favorite right now.

• Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT 

Sark hiring a RB coach for WR??? 

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Sark hiring a RB coach for WR??? 

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

I think the most important question is 'can he coach?'.  If he can, then whether its RB, WR, or TE I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference.  Obviously there are nuances to each position - but most of these coaches have come up through the ranks coaching different positions - and most players nowadays have personal trainers/coaches.  I'm not too worried about whether or not he's coached at a certain position for 'x' number of years.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think the most important question is 'can he coach?'.  If he can, then whether its RB, WR, or TE I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference.  Obviously there are nuances to each position - but most of these coaches have come up through the ranks coaching different positions - and most players nowadays have personal trainers/coaches.  I'm not too worried about whether or not he's coached at a certain position for 'x' number of years.

True!! I just want our WR play to improve!!! Idc who we get, as long as our WR get better tracking the deep ball, catching in traffic and getting open not relying on scheme alone 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bobby Burton

There has been talk behind the scenes that Gary Patterson would be unlikely to return to Texas this next season.

Time away from home was said to be a major factor.

While I can’t and won’t report that he is officially leaving, I would be unsurprised if he did.

Where is his home?  Ft Worth or Austin?  I was under the impression that he moved to Austin so I'm confused how time away from home is such a factor.