2023 Texas Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

I'm warming up a bit more to Samples as WR coach based on this removal of coaches cap. That opens up a bit of a can of worms though. Is he WR coach in title only and is focused on recruiting only? How many coaches would be safe to allocate per position. I seem to remember at one point Carrington went on the road for us. Can anyone on staff be deemed one of the 10 that can go in home? I think gilbert did it for us for awhile as well. If you can stack that room with proven coaches rather than just Samples I don't see it as a bad thing. However then you get into the "well how many coaches would we realistically have on staff." A lot of moving parts I guess.

Ears to the street 

Spoiler

— My phone has been ringing off the hook with questions about who will be the next Director of High School Relations at Texas. Needless to say, it’s a job quite a few people want and many of them are trying to get their names out there however they can. I mentioned last week that the name Carlos Lynn was mentioned to me by a few sources. Lynn has a long history in the THSCA and holds a lot of respect from coaches within the state. In many ways, he’s cut from the same cloth as Chris Gilbert, but I’m not sure what type of recruiting impact he would bring. 

One other name I checked in on was Southlake Carroll head coach Riley Dodge. When I originally pitched my list of candidates, I mentioned that I was skeptical on Dodge taking an off-field job. In fact, I’ve heard in the past that Dodge has turned down on-field college jobs saying he envisions a specific fit for himself. A source I spoke to over the weekend told me that not only would Dodge take the job, he’s extremely interested in it. I’m told there has been some talk between both sides but nothing serious as of yet. We’ll continue to keep an ear to the ground on that front and bring you any news when we have it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Someone with a more informed opinion please correct me if I'm wrong, but to a dumbass like me Dodge seems like a home run hire for that role.

Hell, I think getting him in an on-field role would be a great move. The guy is a great football mind, young, energetic. Finding a way him in an off-field role would be a grand slam.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Someone with a more informed opinion please correct me if I'm wrong, but to a dumbass like me Dodge seems like a home run hire for that role.

Yeah - I just kind of assumed it was a 'semi-retirement' kind of position.  But if the scenario CTJ mentioned is a possibility that would surely make it more attractive to a coach like Dodge.

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I get Brian Hartline is a longshot, but there are two other guys you have to call and make them say no: Kyle Shanahan and Dameyune Craig

Kyle Shanahan for the WR coaching position? Seems like things would have to go terribly wrong for him to take this job 

44 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gary Patterson's convo with FCB about attending the National Championship tonight and if he will return to Texas next year

“It’s a veteran team,” Patterson told Horns247 on Sunday. “The average age of TCU’s starters is closer to 23, whereas our starters’ average age at Texas this past season was closer to 19. That makes a big difference.”

Patterson, who had a statue dedicated to him on the TCU campus in 2016, was fired during the 2021 season, finishing his time in Fort Worth with a 181-79 record (a .696 winning percentage).

“Some people think I went to work at Texas out of spite for TCU,” Patterson said. “But that wasn’t it. I just needed to get away.”

Patterson compared it to someone who gets divorced and needs to move out from the same house as their ex.

“If I went to work in the (TCU) chancellor’s office right after being let go, I think that would’ve been awkward,” Patterson said.

When I asked Patterson if he’ll remain as a special assistant to Sarkisian at Texas, he said, “I might. I really like Steve (Sarkisian), and I was a sponge. I think I learned more than I gave out.”

Patterson said he’ll take his time before deciding any next steps.

“After getting let go at TCU, I started working at Texas in January,” Patterson said. “So, Kelsey and I didn’t really take any time for ourselves. We’re doing that right now, even taking this trip to California. I’ve never had a bowl experience as a spectator. This is new.”

Patterson said it’s “bittersweet” to see TCU having a chance to win the national title one year after being let go as the Horned Frogs’ coach. But he said he and his wife, Kelsey, a Texas graduate, didn’t hesitate about making plans to attend the championship game against Georgia at Sofi Stadium Monday night at 6:30 pm CT

“Kelsey and I didn’t want to be a distraction,” Patterson said. “But a lot of these players were a big part of our lives, so it was the right thing to do for us to come out here and support them. They’ve put in a lot of work, and I’m happy for them.”

Damn classy of Coach P.  I hope he gives us one more year on the staff.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

It’s a veteran team,” Patterson told Horns247 on Sunday. “The average age of TCU’s starters is closer to 23, whereas our starters’ average age at Texas this past season was closer to 19. That makes a big difference.”

image.gif.681ba7b492fff436d79a3327007f4f1a.gif

Someone please alert the football board that it’s a lot easier to win 10+ games with 23 year olds who have played 3+ seasons than it is 19 year olds playing in their first and second seasons. 

And it’s unlikely for anyone to repeat such a roster once COVID seasons are gone 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gary Patterson's convo with FCB about attending the National Championship tonight and if he will return to Texas next year

“It’s a veteran team,” Patterson told Horns247 on Sunday. “The average age of TCU’s starters is closer to 23, whereas our starters’ average age at Texas this past season was closer to 19. That makes a big difference.”

Patterson, who had a statue dedicated to him on the TCU campus in 2016, was fired during the 2021 season, finishing his time in Fort Worth with a 181-79 record (a .696 winning percentage).

“Some people think I went to work at Texas out of spite for TCU,” Patterson said. “But that wasn’t it. I just needed to get away.”

Patterson compared it to someone who gets divorced and needs to move out from the same house as their ex.

“If I went to work in the (TCU) chancellor’s office right after being let go, I think that would’ve been awkward,” Patterson said.

When I asked Patterson if he’ll remain as a special assistant to Sarkisian at Texas, he said, “I might. I really like Steve (Sarkisian), and I was a sponge. I think I learned more than I gave out.”

Patterson said he’ll take his time before deciding any next steps.

“After getting let go at TCU, I started working at Texas in January,” Patterson said. “So, Kelsey and I didn’t really take any time for ourselves. We’re doing that right now, even taking this trip to California. I’ve never had a bowl experience as a spectator. This is new.”

Patterson said it’s “bittersweet” to see TCU having a chance to win the national title one year after being let go as the Horned Frogs’ coach. But he said he and his wife, Kelsey, a Texas graduate, didn’t hesitate about making plans to attend the championship game against Georgia at Sofi Stadium Monday night at 6:30 pm CT

“Kelsey and I didn’t want to be a distraction,” Patterson said. “But a lot of these players were a big part of our lives, so it was the right thing to do for us to come out here and support them. They’ve put in a lot of work, and I’m happy for them.”

And there it is. Patterson getting as much information as he can without giving out information to others. Exactly what you’d expect a fired ex head coach to say who has thoughts of coaching again.

I wonder if he means he’s freely shared information but learned more than he shared, or he held back information to make sure he wasn’t a free fountain of knowledge.  If the latter:

It would be interesting to know whether the staff got real value out of Patterson or not. Seems like it, but if they didn’t, they should probably cut him loose. If he’s purposely not sharing information his priorities are not aligned with the staff. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It would be interesting to know whether the staff got real value out of Patterson or not.

Our defense is vastly improved from the 2021 season.  But from the outside, it's hard to tell how much of that is Gary, and how much of that is PK adjusting to the Big 12 and deciding to no suck so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And there it is. Patterson getting as much information as he can without giving out information to others. Exactly what you’d expect a fired ex head coach to say who has thoughts of coaching again.

I wonder if he means he’s freely shared information but learned more than he shared, or he held back information to make sure he wasn’t a free fountain of knowledge.  If the latter:

It would be interesting to know whether the staff got real value out of Patterson or not. Seems like it, but if they didn’t, they should probably cut him loose. If he’s purposely not sharing information his priorities are not aligned with the staff. 

nana changing GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

From the IT Scoop:

Two candidates mentioned for the WR coach - Samples at ASU and Justin Stepp from South Carolina.  Stepp was Chad Morris' WR coach at SMU and then Arkansas before moving to join Shane Beamer at South Carolina after Morris firing at Arkansas.

https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/football/roster/coach/justin-stepp/

They say that both the WR coach position and the HR Relations position are in high demand with candidates reaching out to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Has never coached the position before. Do not want.

Yeah, but he does have a background in the secondary so he could help teach the WRs how the secondary is going to attack them & how to better take advantage of how the secondary is playing them. It may be worth the phone call just to gauge interest. The real money is on the offensive side of the ball & could you imagine learning under Sark while working with a pretty loaded WR room? He'd probably just use us for a raise, but it never hurts to ask.

8 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Riley Dodge would be an absolute grand slam hire. If you think his name doesnt carry any weight/ he cant recruit I20 then you dont know shit

I am open to taking a risk here on a young guy. Most the names that are familiar are going to be  lifer positional coaches, that are jags. Would love to see a up and coming guy. I would like at least some experience at WR, which is very limited in Dodge's case

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am open to taking a risk here on a young guy. Most the names that are familiar are going to be  lifer positional coaches, that are jags. Would love to see a up and coming guy. I would like at least some experience at WR, which is very limited in Dodge's case

They're talking about Dodge for Director of High School Relations and getting him on the Assistant AD track.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They're talking about Dodge for Director of High School Relations and getting him on the Assistant AD track.

My bad,. That is OK, but would prefer that position to come from one of the powerhouse programs that pump out recruits. Though East Texas isnt bad either, those guys are very tight knit. 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

That is OK, but would prefer that position to come from one of the powerhouse programs that pump out recruits. Though East Texas isnt bad either, those guys are very tight knit. 

With the rules as they currently are, if you hire a high school coach for Director of High School relations (an off-field position), you can't recruit that school for two years. So in theory, you probably don't want to hire a guy from a powerhouse program. If that's changed recently, mea culpa.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Some say Patterson worked harder than most on the staff. Could be rumors but is interesting if so. 

1 minute ago, TheBryMan81 said:

With the rules as they currently are, if you hire a high school coach for Director of High School relations (an off-field position), you can't recruit that school for two years. So in theory, you probably don't want to hire a guy from a powerhouse program. If that's changed recently, mea culpa.

Thanks, I was unaware of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1