Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

chris beard told his team this week that tonight’s game was for their tournament life. they know where they stand. even thinking about making the tournament as a goal for this season would have been absurd. that was never realistic for this team. this tweet acts like they’re dunking on beard and ole miss for their weak non-con schedule as if it’s coming back to haunt them now, when that schedule was exactly what that team needed. acting like this is news, or something to diss ole miss for is odd.

That's where Beard is at this point.  People expect him to take a train wreck to the tournament in one year.  they aren't gonna make it this year but I bet they are in next year(if he is not somewhere else).

In this era of NIL and transfer portal, there is really no excuse for a top tier coach not making the tournament, even in year 1. 

Beard was hired March 13. That gave him the entire transfer portal to build a team - and the entire offseason to coach it up.  And he wasn't coaching in March, so he could immediately get to recruiting those transfers.  This season is ending up as a mild failure IMO. 

If Coach K, Bill Self or Roy Williams took over Ole Miss in this era, everyone would expect them to be ultra competitive immediately.  And top-tier players would have been transferring there from day 1.  Beard signed the #12, #78, #106, #108, #132, #137 portal players.  That is good, but not great.  

He had a lot of advantages at Texas, but I also think the staff he put together was a great group of recruiters - including Rodney Terry.  We'll see what year two looks like, but I'm not ready to declare that he is going to own us in the SEC.  

• Hook 'Em 2

15 of their 19 wins are against Q3 and Q4 opponents.

I’ve poked fun at Ole Miss all year for being a smoke and mirrors team as people back in December where like “omg look at them they are 14-0.” No one is going to think any less of him for not taking Ole Miss to the tournament in year 1 but if he had just scheduled a little tougher, which seems to be a Chris Beard staple, they would be in. A 1 point win against Detroit Mercy and 3 point win against Sam Houston State aren’t helping either. If you are going to schedule soft you need to be blowing people Q4 opponents out by 30 for NET purposes like Iowa State.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In this era of NIL and transfer portal, there is really no excuse for a top tier coach not making the tournament, even in year 1. 

Beard was hired March 13. That gave him the entire transfer portal to build a team - and the entire offseason to coach it up.  And he wasn't coaching in March, so he could immediately get to recruiting those transfers.  This season is ending up as a mild failure IMO. 

If Coach K, Bill Self or Roy Williams took over Ole Miss in this era, everyone would expect them to be ultra competitive immediately.  And top-tier players would have been transferring there from day 1.  Beard signed the #12, #78, #106, #108, #132, #137 portal players.  That is good, but not great.  

He had a lot of advantages at Texas, but I also think the staff he put together was a great group of recruiters - including Rodney Terry.  We'll see what year two looks like, but I'm not ready to declare that he is going to own us in the SEC.  

He’s also recruiting to Mississippi. At least with Tech, he had the Texas high school basketball scene at his disposal. At most, he can try to recruit kids out of Memphis, but wanting to play at Mississippi? You’re not getting D/FW kids for that. I’m surprised Lane can get Texas kids to go there. Who the fuck would ever want to go there?

• Hook 'Em 1

Ole Miss is within 300 miles of Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Little Rock and all the medium and small towns in between.  There are 27M people within that 300 mile radius.

Lubbock is within 300 miles of DFW, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque.  There are 14M people within that 300 mile radius. 

Gonzaga is pretty remote and they seem to do ok.  

15 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Ole Miss is within 300 miles of Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Little Rock and all the medium and small towns in between.  There are 27M people within that 300 mile radius.

Lubbock is within 300 miles of DFW, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque.  There are 14M people within that 300 mile radius. 

Gonzaga is pretty remote and they seem to do ok.  

Tech has had history of good basketball teams.. i can't remember Ole Miss having a good team

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Tech has had history of good basketball teams.. i can't remember Ole Miss having a good team

It is a basketball wasteland.  That's why the jumped at the chance to hire Beard.  South Carolina is probably the only SEC program that is worse historically.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

He’s also recruiting to Mississippi. At least with Tech, he had the Texas high school basketball scene at his disposal. At most, he can try to recruit kids out of Memphis, but wanting to play at Mississippi? You’re not getting D/FW kids for that. I’m surprised Lane can get Texas kids to go there. Who the fuck would ever want to go there?

Not basketball related but a lot of the kids from Dfw who couldn’t get into Texas go to ole miss, Bama , Auburn and Arkansas 

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not basketball related but a lot of the kids from Dfw who couldn’t get into Texas go to ole miss, Bama , Auburn and Arkansas 

Yes, I know that. I taught at a community college in the suburbs of nawfwest Houston. 

99% of those kids are White and affluent. You’re not getting a bunch of kids from Duncanville, DeSoto, or Souf Oak Cliff going to the university of fucking Mississippi just because. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Yes, I know that. I taught at a community college in the suburbs of nawfwest Houston. 

99% of those kids are White and affluent. You’re not getting a bunch of kids from Duncanville, DeSoto, or Souf Oak Cliff going to the university of fucking Mississippi just because. 

I’d actually say it’s the opposite. Why would rich kids want to hang out at ole miss?   Kids from **any economic background will go anywhere for a scholarship and nil money.  

Edited by closetohumping

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’d actually say it’s the opposite. Why would rich kids want to hang out at ole miss?   Kids from the hood will go anywhere for a scholarship/nik

I work in higher ed. It’s not the opposite. No kids from the hood will not go anywhere for a scholarship, and that’s a racist ass statement.

But getting this thread back on track…

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I work in higher ed. It’s not the opposite. No kids from the hood will not go anywhere for a scholarship, and that’s a racist ass statement.

But getting this thread back on track…

Yea.  Changing my post.  It does come off as racist.  

That being said, high school athletes will go anywhere they have to to get a scholarship and follow their dreams.  Tuscaloosa ain’t a hot place to live either

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Not defending Beard to the stake here but are these guys also coming in with nuclear DV headlines with their name in it? Had he left Texas clean to take OM over he would have gotten better assistants, portals, and recruits. Heck Pitino needed a conference tournament run to make the field his first year at Iona before settling in to win the conference the last 2 years. 

I do think his stock is forever tainted from his departure here and will hold him back from getting back to Tech/Texas levels. But calling year 1 at Ole Miss a failure is a little much for a program with 5 tournament wins all time. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Not defending Beard to the stake here but are these guys also coming in with nuclear DV headlines with their name in it? Had he left Texas clean to take OM over he would have gotten better assistants, portals, and recruits. Heck Pitino needed a conference tournament run to make the field his first year at Iona before settling in to win the conference the last 2 years. 

I do think his stock is forever tainted from his departure here and will hold him back from getting back to Tech/Texas levels. But calling year 1 at Ole Miss a failure is a little much for a program with 5 tournament wins all time. 

nobody but this board even talks about it anymore.  the charges were dropped.

23 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Um, no.

That is just a wish by certain Texas fans. 

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Um, no.

That is just a wish by certain Texas fans. 

LOL right.  He will be at Louisville, Michigan, Indiana next year, or if he holds out, Kentucky or Kansas within 5 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

That's where Beard is at this point.  People expect him to take a train wreck to the tournament in one year.  they aren't gonna make it this year but I bet they are in next year(if he is not somewhere else).

He took Arkansas Little Rock to the tournament in his one year there, and they were 13-18 the year before without the benefit of the portal. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

He took Arkansas Little Rock to the tournament in his one year there, and they were 13-18 the year before without the benefit of the portal. 

well ALRU isn't in the SEC.  My guess is Chris Beard coached circles around the other guys in that conference.  SEC is going to be a different story.  He's a damn good coach but there are a lot of damn good coaches in the SEC right now that have programs running full tilt.

58 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure a school like Michigan would look at him. 

Indiana is interesting with his Bobby Knight relationship.

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s pretty jarring to see a Chris Beard coached team give up more than 80 points 8 times in a season while playing at a tempo that ranks 235th nationally.

Maybe Randi was the brain behind the defense this whole time.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

That was supposedly their most important game of the year last night, against the conference leader, and the stands were a third empty and not very vocal.

I thought he was the best salesman and program builder in the history of college basketball?!?

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I thought he was the best salesman and program builder in the history of college basketball?!?

1. He needs to get with freshwater and understand how to work NIL and get non rich athletes to come to the Sip

2. if you can do it in Little Rock, you can do it in Oxford 

3.  If you’re a top five coach you should be able to turn it around pretty quickly. Let’s see how he does next year

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

wow.  didn't realize Mizz is 0-15 in the SEC.  trying to beat the dynamo for first win.

They used to be a semi-perennial powerhouse of sorts at least when they were in the 12. I haven't really heard much at all from that basketball program since they moved.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

They used to be a semi-perennial powerhouse of sorts at least when they were in the 12. I haven't really heard much at all from that basketball program since they moved.

RT’s current top assistant frank haith pulled off this good news/bad news job for mizzou in 2012:

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

oof, that was a rough year for Tech:

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0058.jpeg

IMG_0059.jpeg

also TIL that one of the greatest strikers of our generation actually played basketball for TTU in 2012:

IMG_0060.thumb.jpeg.159ae14b46da969ed4c316b3d81b8d58.jpeg

Yeah and the abuse allegations on top of all that. Locking a player in the bathroom stall, the story about a player cutting his hand because he had to dunk the basketball a bunch of times etc.