Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

Maybe if Beard would’ve scratched and clawed a little bit more Ole Miss would be off the bubble. Seemed like he had a stranglehold on a bid just a few weeks ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 hours ago, MrX said:

Maybe if Beard would’ve scratched and clawed a little bit more Ole Miss would be off the bubble. Seemed like he had a stranglehold on a bid just a few weeks ago. 

they were always on the edge until the L's to MSU and Souf Carolina at home basically sunk their season.  win those and he's 9-9 in the SEC with a decent shot of getting in.  will be interesting to see if he can improve next year.

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

there is a legitimate chance that ole miss makes the tourney next year while texas misses out. its way too early to bet on it, but its absolutely feasible. 

When you’re ready I’d be happy to chat.  I lose often and pay often. Lmk

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, MrX said:

Bill Self is the best coach in basketball, then it’s a group that includes Beard, Bennett, Lloyd, Few, Hurley, and Sampson.  Pitino is a wild card because he’s at a shitty St. John’s program and he’s old.  Not sure where to put him.   Then Izzo, Cronin, Drew, Hubert Davis, Cal, Barnes?  The Iowa State coach is working his way into this convo. 

Here are the resumes of the guys you listed.  You really have two sets... the end of career coaches and the mid-career coaches.  Barnes and Samson are pretty similar in that they always have solid teams, but don't really have the hardware to show for it.  Mark Few only has 2 Final Fours, but fourteen top-10 finishes.  Calipari has a great resume but seems to have lost his fastball with NIL and the portal.

• Bill Self (61) - 2 Title + 2 FF + 7 EE + 3 S16, 15 top-10 finishes
  • Tom Izzo (69) - 1 Title + 7 FF + 2 EE + 5 S16, 10 top-10 finishes
  • Rick Pitino (71) - 2 Title + 5 FF + 5 EE + 1 S16,  12 top-10 finishes
  • Mark Few (61) - 0 Title + 2 FF + 2 EE + 7 S16, 14 top-10 finishes
  • John Calipari (65) - 1 Title + 5 FF + 6 EE + 3 S16, 14 top-10 finishes
  • K. Sampson (68) - 0 Title + 2 FF + 2 EE + 3 S16, 4 top-10 finishes
  • Rick Barnes (69) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 2 EE + 5 S16, 6 top-10 finishes

For the mid-career guys, I have a hard time saying Hurley, Beard or Bennett are better than Scott Drew.  He has a title plus more elite 8s and more sweet 16s. And he started from absolute zero at Baylor.  Also hard to put Beard above Bennett who beat him for a title and has better tourney success and top-10 finishes.  Need to see more out Hurley who never even made a Sweet 16 before last year.

• Scott Drew (53) - 1 Title + 0 FF + 2 EE + 2 S16, 4 top-10 finishes
  • Dan Hurley (51) - 1 Title + 0 FF + 0 EE + 0 S16, 1 top-10 finish
  • Tony Bennett (54) - 1 Title + 0 FF + 1 EE + 1 S16, 5 top-10 finishes
  • Chris Beard (51) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 1 EE + 0 S16, 2 top-10 finishes
  • Mick Cronin (52) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 0 EE + 3 S16, 2 top-10 finishes
  • Hubert Davis (53) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 0 EE + 0 S16, 0 top-10 finishes (only 3 yrs)
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Here are the resumes of the guys you listed.  You really have two sets... the end of career coaches and the mid-career coaches.  Barnes and Samson are pretty similar in that they always have solid teams, but don't really have the hardware to show for it.  Mark Few only has 2 Final Fours, but fourteen top-10 finishes.  Calipari has a great resume but seems to have lost his fastball with NIL and the portal.

• Bill Self (61) - 2 Title + 2 FF + 7 EE + 3 S16, 15 top-10 finishes
  • Tom Izzo (69) - 1 Title + 7 FF + 2 EE + 5 S16, 10 top-10 finishes
  • Rick Pitino (71) - 2 Title + 5 FF + 5 EE + 1 S16,  12 top-10 finishes
  • Mark Few (61) - 0 Title + 2 FF + 2 EE + 7 S16, 14 top-10 finishes
  • John Calipari (65) - 1 Title + 5 FF + 6 EE + 3 S16, 14 top-10 finishes
  • K. Sampson (68) - 0 Title + 2 FF + 2 EE + 3 S16, 4 top-10 finishes
  • Rick Barnes (69) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 2 EE + 5 S16, 6 top-10 finishes

For the mid-career guys, I have a hard time saying Hurley, Beard or Bennett are better than Scott Drew.  He has a title plus more elite 8s and more sweet 16s. And he started from absolute zero at Baylor.  Also hard to put Beard above Bennett who beat him for a title and has better tourney success and top-10 finishes.  Need to see more out Hurley who never even made a Sweet 16 before last year.

• Scott Drew (53) - 1 Title + 0 FF + 2 EE + 2 S16, 4 top-10 finishes
  • Dan Hurley (51) - 1 Title + 0 FF + 0 EE + 0 S16, 1 top-10 finish
  • Tony Bennett (54) - 1 Title + 0 FF + 1 EE + 1 S16, 5 top-10 finishes
  • Chris Beard (51) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 1 EE + 0 S16, 2 top-10 finishes
  • Mick Cronin (52) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 0 EE + 3 S16, 2 top-10 finishes
  • Hubert Davis (53) - 0 Title + 1 FF + 0 EE + 0 S16, 0 top-10 finishes (only 3 yrs)

Good post. I agree you can’t rank Beard over Bennett but can group them in the same tier.  Tough to rank anybody beyond Self imo. “Who is the second best coach in college basketball?” would field a ton of different answers. 

18 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m too lazy to look it up but Beard’s record in conference tournaments has to be awful, especially at the 3 P5 schools he has been at.

Because conference tourneys are stupid.  He treated them like the bullshit that they are.

Moneytime starts  a week later. 

I wouldn’t trade our Big 12 conf title from last year for much. That was fun. Good coaches use that momentum going into the tournament and take them to the Elite 8. Other coaches use a Big 12 tournament title to lose to ACU in round 1

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I wouldn’t trade our Big 12 conf title from last year for much. That was fun. Good coaches use that momentum going into the tournament and take them to the Elite 8. Other coaches use a Big 12 tournament title to lose to ACU in round 1

Which I think is further proof of how stupid they are. Of course I would rather win than lose, but there is little evidence that playing well in the conference tourney leads to ncaa tourney success. Just like playing poorly doesn’t always mean an early exit a week later.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Yeah agree, but was going for simplicity.  Nobody really talks about that as much as Final Fours anyway.

Yep. It's Titles, FFs, EEs, and SSs, not CG appearences. Maybe it meant something when they used to play the 3rd place game.

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Because conference tourneys are stupid.  He treated them like the bullshit that they are.

Moneytime starts  a week later. 

I agree they are stupid, but his typical one and done ensured he will be nowhere close to Moneytime.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Our run last year got Disu going and he would have likely carried us to the FF without injury.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Unless you are UConn 

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at how the last 10 national champions did in their conference tournaments:

2023 Uconn- Lost in Semis

2022 Kansas- Won it 

2021 Baylor- Lost in Semis

2019 Virginia- Lost in Semis

2018 Nova- Won it

2017 UNC- Lost in Semis

2016 Nova- Lost in the championship

2015 Duke- Lost in Semis

2014 Uconn- Lost in the championship

2013 Louisville- Won it

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at how the last 10 national champions did in their conference tournaments:

2022 Kansas- Won it 

2018 Nova- Won it

2017 UNC- Lost in Semis

2015 Duke- Lost in Semis

2013 Louisville- Won it

No one and dones?

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No one and dones?

Not for the champions. Beard's 2019 Tech team that made the Final Four lost to 10-seed WVU in the quarterfinals. That might be the last final-four team to bow out before the semis in their conference tournament. 

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

2022 Kansas- Won it 

2018 Nova- Won it

2017 UNC- Lost in Semis

2015 Duke- Lost in Semis

2013 Louisville- Won it

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

we got our asses kicked by a crappy ttu team in round 1 of the 2003 league tourney, and had we not run in to that freak of nature Melo i’m certain we still could have won the whole thing. i’ve always viewed it as a nice momentum thing if you win it, but i’ve never cared too much about losing early either. a shitty performance will irk me on the day, but losing early mostly just lets me breathe a sigh of relief that we weren’t going to lose a disu or an abmas to injury in what is a mostly meaningless game/series of games.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

The portal has changed everything. These majors schools don’t want to continue playing and cut into their recruiting time. My prediction is the NIT and CBI won’t even be around within the next 5 years. ESPN won’t want to pay money to show 15-15 Idaho State play 16-14 South Dakota.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

2022 Kansas- Won it 

2018 Nova- Won it

2017 UNC- Lost in Semis

2015 Duke- Lost in Semis

2013 Louisville- Won it

Just came across this 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

The portal has changed everything. These majors schools don’t want to continue playing and cut into their recruiting time. My prediction is the NIT and CBI won’t even be around within the next 5 years. ESPN won’t want to pay money to show 15-15 Idaho State play 16-14 South Dakota.

The Bengals dream for the mediocrity of a 15-15 season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's certainly cool to win a tourney like that but the trade off is risking injuries before the Big Dance for tourney hardware that nobody really cares about in the end. That said, with the round robin gone I'd kinda be in favor of the conference tourney deciding the conference champ now.

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we got our asses kicked by a crappy ttu team in round 1 of the 2003 league tourney, and had we not run in to that freak of nature Melo i’m certain we still could have won the whole thing. i’ve always viewed it as a nice momentum thing if you win it, but i’ve never cared too much about losing early either. a shitty performance will irk me on the day, but losing early mostly just lets me breathe a sigh of relief that we weren’t going to lose a disu or an abmas to injury in what is a mostly meaningless game/series of games.

That Melo game in the semis was ridic. Of course it had to happen to us. 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, MrX said:

That Melo game in the semis was ridic. Of course it had to happen to us. 

That Syracuse team had gumby arms.  They were so hard to deal with on defense.  Felt like they cut off every pass to the interior.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

that and the 2008 memphis games were the two worst matchups that two of our best ever teams could have faced. melo was on another planet against us in 03. 

Did Memphis stop shooting FTs yet?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

They seemed to have a lot of long teams  back then.   Gerry McNamara was annoying that night

We shot 43 percent from the field and 48 percent from 3 (13 makes) which against that team was pretty awesome. Ivey had a bad game and Mouton was inefficient but Ford pretty much did what we needed to do to break down the zone (13 assists). 

Problem was Cuse shot 58 percent from the floor and that Texas team could defend across everything and it didn’t matter. Melo destroyed us and that was that. 

• Like 1

Melo, McNamara, Warrick ... that Syracuse team was young but talented, and we caught them on a night they couldn't miss.

In contrast, as good as our '08 team was, I don't think we ever had a shot to beat the Derrick Rose-lead Tigers. That team was a terrible matchup for us and we could've played them 10 times and lost all 10, even if Memphis had returned to form and not converted 83 percent (30 for 36) of its free throws.

Funny thing is, that Texas team would've had a good chance at beating Chalmers and KU if it had been our 'Horns against them in the finals. Instead, Memphis suddenly remembered that free throws were their Achilles heel and choked it away at the line.

• Hook 'Em 1

The NIT is on life support after the recent changes combined with the portal.

Mississippi declining isn’t a big deal and isn’t shocking. I believe Indiana has come out and declined as well. 

We are probably seeing the last of the NIT unless they correct heir recent changes. 

winning the NIT under shaka was so weird. i went to the opening game and sat courtside with my dad and a bunch of his old media/SID buddies, and there was maybe 1,500 people in the building. i’ve been to a pflugerville girls HS game at the FEC where the lower bowl was completely full and folks were sitting in the mezzanine. very strange experience to be playing NDSU or whoever and to literally be able to have conversations with their players during the game, which i did lol.

then when we won, i was really happy for our guys, as we had a really likable team who all wanted to play and win for each other (andrew jones, courtney ramey, roach, osetkowski, etc), and watching them celebrate on the court was a really nice moment. two seconds after that i was over i was all:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7x9gdtj918lcxg2uyuy

the title meant/means nothing to me. my local HS team winning state would mean more to me. there really is no point to that tournament anymore. it was a big deal 50 years ago, but at this point it really serves no purpose.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, MrX said:

We shot 43 percent from the field and 48 percent from 3 (13 makes) which against that team was pretty awesome. Ivey had a bad game and Mouton was inefficient but Ford pretty much did what we needed to do to break down the zone (13 assists). 

Problem was Cuse shot 58 percent from the floor and that Texas team could defend across everything and it didn’t matter. Melo destroyed us and that was that. 

It quit mattering years ago, and probably wouldn’t have mattered that night, but with 43 seconds left we were down by 5 and Syracuse was inbounding on the sideline, and their inbound guy took three lateral steps, which should have been our ball.

tl;dr - that loss sucked but that year was fun as hell…

Edited by Ignatius

On 3/15/2024 at 11:31 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

as good as our '08 team was, I don't think we ever had a shot to beat the Derrick Rose-lead Tigers.

I loved that 2008 team and was at the game in Houston when we played Memphis. 

DJ Augustin was a great college basketball player that year. Averaged 19 PTS, 6 AST.  1st Team All-American, 1st Team All-Big 12.  Wooden Finalist.  Bob Cousy Award.  Great player. However...

The chasm between Augustin and Derrick Rose was as big as the Grand Canyon. Augustin looked like a JV player going up against him.  Rose was much bigger, faster, more athletic, better in just about every way.  Within the first five minutes of that game I knew we had no shot.  It was depressing because we were really good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1