Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The Consumer Confidence Index is its about as useful as the polling since Trump has been in the picture. Tons of people who vote for that dude don't participate in those things. 2016 and 2020 shoulda told ya.

Maybe.  I have no reason to believe this is true.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Two things can exist at the same time 

The UR is historically low at 3.7%. Inflation is down at 3.1%. Grocery Prices are back rising at long time average of 2.1%. GDP is 5.2% this year. These are Hall of Fame numbers 

if you bought a home before June 2022, and have a job. You are probably crushing it. (Most likely Boomers & Gen X)

on the flip side.

New rent contracts are declining in price but you probably locked in last year while it was high as fuck, and you don’t make enough to save shit. Not to mention home prices are 40% higher and interest rates are still at 6% so you can afford to buy.

If you don’t own a home or bought after June 2022, or just entering the job market. You are feeling the pain of years of corporate wage depression and price inflation (Probably Millennials and Gen Z)

Let me follow up with the political take since this is CR

Job Biden, the Fed, Buddha, Yahweh or whoever you want to assign credit, is doing an amazing job. The US is outperforming the G7 by a large margin. The numbers speak for themselves. If you’re above 40 and don’t believe it, you’re probably brainwashed by Fox News

If you’re below 40, and feel like the economy sucks. There is a long list of Republicans presidents that let the corporate world fuck you hard for years. And no amount of TikTok is going to reverse it 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not being obtuse.  You are.  Address the Consumer Confidence Index.  Either tell me you think it means shit or tell me why it's way higher than average?

By now you should be well aware that people are irrational. You’re both correct. Why’s that so hard to accept?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. Your income has tripled because you no longer work entry level jobs. However, young people entering the market are making what, roughly 12% more than that job payed decades ago while trying to buy goods that have doubled. Of course you can find a 2 bedroom in Houston under 2k. If you want to lower your life expectancy you can find one for under 1k. We are talking in decent ares. Yes, 25 year olds aren't buying loaded Suburbans but a KIA Telluride is 42-55k as well.

The point is there are swaths of people who know little to nothing about politics/economics but are upset with the high cost of living and expect the current president to do something about it. How the hell do you think MAGA got into office in the first place? He ran on draining the swamp and lowering costs for the layman. A hell of a lot of stupid people turned out to vote for that clown, and not all of them are Trumpers.

To the first point, duh, that's why your post was short-sighted. Do you know people working 20 years in the same job with no promotion or movement? A 3% COLA gets them nearly 2x salary during that timeframe. Most grads can double their wage in 5 years by getting new jobs.

If you think you need a 2,000 dollar 2 bedroom apartment to "feel" safe in Houston you are again exaggerating.  

A Honda Civic is 24k and is clearly a better example of what people would buy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Stock market has been on a tear this year but the 20s are probably not benefiting from it 

Exactly. The "good economy" which a lot of people equate to a) stock market growth b) low unemployment rate and c) jobs/wage growth, feels like fools gold to the middle class, from where I sit.

1) The middle class (especially the younger middle class) don't have a robust 401k to see the type of gains in a heater stock run that would emotionally satiate from the inflationary bleeding we've been having. Further, the middle class have had to decrease the % they are able to contribute in 401k and Employee Stock Purchase program from paycheck deductions to keep the same amount of free cash flow income/disposable income to support the status quo lifestyle. Lastly, credit card debt and 401k loans (both the volume and the dollar amount, ostensibly from the middle class) are at an all-time high, which is said to be a harbinger of further bad news for the middle class economy*.

The rich with their investment and savings vehicles are, of course, getting richer. And the poor are like "What is a 401k? You better give me my $40 for Monopoly Millions scratchoffs!"

2) "Everyone who wants a job can have a job" is not realistic for a lot of industries that have experienced a right-sizing and contraction this year. Unless you mean, take a lesser job to get by, you can get a job, but now you are really going to struggle. Low unemployment rate is great for the poor and lower middle class as a lot of service jobs and hospitality jobs have come back online as nobody cares about or is scared of dying from COVID anymore. The middle class are being squeezed on jobs this year.

3) See the above. The wage growth is not benefiting the middle class the last 12-18 months. By and large, we got our wage inflation during the COVID-19 gold rush and in a lot of industries and roles, are actually overpaid to the labor market now that it's rightsized. You are seeing this play out in both layoffs this year as well as a record number of middle class office workers hanging on to their jobs (again, because there aren't a lot of jobs out there for us and better to stay solvent where you are) which is negatively impacting the organic attrition models that companies benchmark against in normal cycles**.

*https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/10/more-americans-take-401k-loans-an-indicator-of-financial-stress.html

More retirement savers are borrowing from their 401(k) plan. Those are ‘leading indicators of economic stress,’ expert says

**https://www.wsj.com/business/the-new-headache-for-bosses-employees-arent-quitting-edca96a3

The New Headache for Bosses: Employees Aren’t Quitting: Just last year, companies were struggling to keep staff. Now, they say not enough people are leaving their jobs.

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

To the first point, duh, that's why your post was short-sighted. Do you know people working 20 years in the same job with no promotion or movement? A 3% COLA gets them nearly 2x salary during that timeframe. Most grads can double their wage in 5 years by getting new jobs.

If you think you need a 2,000 dollar 2 bedroom apartment to "feel" safe in Houston you are again exaggerating.  

A Honda Civic is 24k and is clearly a better example of what people would buy.

I don't know man. I think you are making my point for me in that IMO the middle class isn't feeling good about an economy where you have to drive a 2018 Honda Civic and live in a $1500 crapbox apartment in a bummer part of Houston. Especially so if you have kids.

That FEELS like you aren't doing well when everyone is telling you that, "well, actually, you are doing fantastic and the economy is better than it's been maybe ever. Check out these graphs and pie charts, see?"

Edited by BeardIP

Thatguy and you are not making the same argument, so I'm unsure why you would quote my response to him when you are talking about middle class (that you haven't defined) and he's talking about young people.

Your statement the middle class would have any kind of shame over driving a 5 year old car and having a $1500 apartment in Houston is hollow. Especially when I've shown there is plenty of volume of sub $1500 apartments in nice, low crime neighborhoods, not crapboxes, and not in bummer parts of town. You guys are coming up with the absolute worst examples and all it does it give credence to whoever posted earlier that ya'll are old and out of touch. I'm all for demanding conditions get better, but if you want to follow around good news on this forum and kneecap it at every turn you'll get a rebuttal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

1) The middle class (especially the younger middle class) don't have a robust 401k to see the type of gains in a heater stock run

They never have.

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I don't know man. I think you are making my point for me in that IMO the middle class isn't feeling good about an economy

They never have.

where you have to drive a 2018 Honda Civic and live in a $1500 crapbox apartment in a bummer part of Houston. Especially so if you have kids.

Same story, different verse.  Being "middle class", especially with kids, has never been a particularly easy financial row to hoe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They never have.

They never have.

Same story, different verse.  Being "middle class", especially with kids, has never been a particularly easy financial row to hoe.

So, “A tale as old as time”, as we like to say?

There’s a running joke at work that a specific middle management Director/VP job that people always think they want, is actually the worst job in the company. You get crapped on squeezed by out of touch SVPs/execs and you get the added pressure of your direct reports and when they suck you have to do their jobs as well. 

Reminds me of the middle class; the Atlas with the American economy on the shoulders.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Thatguy and you are not making the same argument, so I'm unsure why you would quote my response to him when you are talking about middle class (that you haven't defined) and he's talking about young people.

Your statement the middle class would have any kind of shame over driving a 5 year old car and having a $1500 apartment in Houston is hollow. Especially when I've shown there is plenty of volume of sub $1500 apartments in nice, low crime neighborhoods, not crapboxes, and not in bummer parts of town. You guys are coming up with the absolute worst examples and all it does it give credence to whoever posted earlier that ya'll are old and out of touch. I'm all for demanding conditions get better, but if you want to follow around good news on this forum and kneecap it at every turn you'll get a rebuttal.

I’m absolutely not saying there is any shame in any of the above. We all do the best we can do with our lots in life and every man and woman should be afforded the basic dignity to respect their station in life regardless.

That said we are talking about people’s emotions and how what they feel seems in direct contrast to the objective factual realities of the situation. Namely that people feel like we aren’t in a good economy when in fact we are.

I don’t think middle/upper middle class, college educated, typically democrat voters are thrilled with living in a mediocre part of Houston and driving that car and not vacationing etc etc because they think if the economy is good then they should be very comfortable. Maybe we’ve all been spoiled and have the wrong idea of “good economy” and falsely equate the ZIP bubble with good economy.

But yea tell a single earner with a college degree that he can’t afford to live in the hip trendy part of town but can afford a nice drab 1br 30 minutes from the party scene and tell an older middle class person they can’t afford even a modestly new 3bd/2ba in historically bummer places like Missouri city or Humble or Deer Park and they have to live in an apartment and that is not feeling good about a good economy 

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I saw that meme about a $15 quarter pounder with cheese or some such and I just dismissed it.  I don't know what was actually being referenced, but it ain't a McDonald's burger, and I haven't had a burger there since college.  Isn't it like $4 or so?

I don’t know what the single burger costs or the meme your referencing, but with coke and fries is about 11-12$. Same as whataburger. Same as chick fila.   Username yada yada but I get stuck in some small towns for work and unfortunately sometimes McD is their “best option”, which is some sad, sad shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Username yada yada but I get stuck in some small towns for work and unfortunately sometimes McD is their “best option”, which is some sad, sad shit. 

The Almighty Free Market has spoken. "Fuck them poors" is the most succinct translation, but the longer version is that its not profitable to sell decent food in those areas, so they don't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

I’m absolutely not saying there is any shame in any of the above. 

I don’t think middle/upper middle class, college educated, typically democrat voters are thrilled with living in a mediocre part of Houston and driving that car and not vacationing etc etc 

But yea tell a single earner with a college degree that he can’t afford to live in the hip trendy part of town but can afford a nice drab 1br 30 minutes from the party scene 

Actually you did shame it. How many times do I have to post you can find a place in Midtown, Montrose, the Heights, DT or EaDo for under 1300 and a 2 BR for under 2000 before it lands with you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Actually you did shame it. How many times do I have to post you can find a place in Midtown, Montrose, the Heights, DT or EaDo for under 1300 and a 2 BR for under 2000 before it lands with you.

EaDo is pretty much the only cheap place left in Houston. There's not much affordable left in Midtown or Montrose - the shit box efficiency my wife rented in her 1L year has gone from $800/mo back in 2017 to $1450/mo. For a 750sqft efficiency that still has dog shit coin-op washing machines. Hell, the 2/1 we were renting in midtown before we bought our house has gone from $1650/mo to nearly $2500/mo. 

You should really look at rent prices 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Apparently some in Dallas are not enamored of Dark Brandon.

Reveal hidden contents

This a photo of Clarence Thomas driving his RV.

image.thumb.jpeg.1abe8c6b6870a18586a30256ad3029f5.jpeg

Wonder who is bankrolling this. Went to the site (in incognito mode. lol) and there's no about page. The whois shows a proxy buyer, so no telling who is behind this. any guesses who thinks they're "America's Senator"? I have a guess

30 minutes ago, Captainant said:

EaDo is pretty much the only cheap place left in Houston. There's not much affordable left in Midtown or Montrose - the shit box efficiency my wife rented in her 1L year has gone from $800/mo back in 2017 to $1450/mo. For a 750sqft efficiency that still has dog shit coin-op washing machines. Hell, the 2/1 we were renting in midtown before we bought our house has gone from $1650/mo to nearly $2500/mo. 

So those are 7% - 10.5% increase per year, much of that time during the biggest housing price boom in Texas history.  I'm not particularly shocked.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

So those are 7% - 10.5% increase per year, much of that time during the biggest housing price boom in Texas history.  I'm not particularly shocked.

I think you are ignoring that the price increases have been driven by PE investment moving the housing market to be more expensive, at a rate far faster then inflation

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t know what the single burger costs or the meme your referencing, but with coke and fries is about 11-12$. Same as whataburger. Same as chick fila.   Username yada yada but I get stuck in some small towns for work and unfortunately sometimes McD is their “best option”, which is some sad, sad shit. 

i made a quadruple quarter pounder /w cheese  and it came to $15.58 supersized, $16.97 w/ tax. 

crazy that tiktok users don't say 'wtf' and check the mcdonalds app - if you use the $1 large fries that is always available a big mac with large fry/drink is $7.88 (don't order the combo that's for sucker)

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

but the longer version is that its not profitable to sell decent food in those areas, so they don't. 

Correct.  If they want to support their local restaurant they will. If they don’t/can’t, we’ll, it goes away. There’s typically one nicer diner but still. Part of the game to give up Michelin stars if you want to live in the country I suppose. 

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Correct.  If they want to support their local restaurant they will. If they don’t/can’t, we’ll, it goes away. There’s typically one nicer diner but still. Part of the game to give up Michelin stars if you want to live in the country I suppose. 

Grocery stores and food deserts aren't really the same convo as restaurants and service oriented food. But enjoy lying to yourself

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Grocery stores and food deserts aren't really the same convo as restaurants and service oriented food. But enjoy lying to yourself

Well, as you noted that wasn’t the conversation we were having. Sorry I couldn’t speak to the conversation we weren’t having but you wish we were?

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, as you noted that wasn’t the conversation we were having. Sorry I couldn’t speak to the conversation we weren’t having but you wish we were?

The lack of grocery stores and places to buy fresh produce is absolutely part of the problem and what drives people to buy fast food as a primary option. Your act of playing okeydoke stupid oilfield man is old

31 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The lack of grocery stores and places to buy fresh produce is absolutely part of the problem and what drives people to buy fast food as a primary option. Your act of playing okeydoke stupid oilfield man is old

How about don’t really give af guy?  As someone who has lived >5 years in a town of ~700 residents, and grew 17 years in a town of less than 3000, I would bet having actually lived it, I have a pretty good idea on small town restaurant and grocery options.   Don’t know how you pit lived experiences against what you’ve recently learned on tiktok, but you know, I feel pretty qualified to speak to it.   

LOL at an IT guy throwing shade at my industry while while parroting talking points from TikTok and the communist caller, then thinking anyone would give a fuck what you just learned. Gouging!! Hey y’all, don’t know if you’ve heard, we’ve got investors buying real estate!!1!!   Fucking stock buy backs and private equity and executive compensation, oh my. Just scares you to death.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

How about don’t really give af guy?  As someone who has lived >5 years in a town of ~700 residents, and grew 17 years in a town of less than 3000, I would bet having actually lived it, I have a pretty good idea on small town restaurant and grocery options.   Don’t know how you pit lived experiences against what you’ve recently learned on tiktok, but you know, I feel pretty qualified to speak to it.   

LOL at an IT guy throwing shade at my industry while while parroting talking points from TikTok and the communist caller, then thinking anyone would give a fuck what you just learned. Gouging!! Hey y’all, don’t know if you’ve heard, we’ve got investors buying real estate!!1!!   Fucking stock buy backs and private equity and executive compensation, oh my. Just scares you to death.  

Well, he's right.  Good luck on the yacht.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Grew up in Argyle, back when the population was less than a thousand. It was fairly affluent, in the 70s and early 80s, and we had grocery stores. Not all small towns are the same, psycho. Food deserts occur in poor towns just as they occur in poor areas of large towns. You don’t care? Fine. Stick your thumb in your ass, then suck it like a popsicle.

• Hook 'Em 4

49 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Your fixation on something I've never done - directly source and cite my information from social media - really undercuts your point. Please, tell me what talking point I'm parroting, if they're so obvious. Or is this just you doing another "people are saying" bit?

I can appreciate some actual factual shit talking, but you're simply lying through your teeth and acting like you're righteous. Incredibly aggy. 

39 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Grew up in Argyle, back when the population was less than a thousand. It was fairly affluent, in the 70s and early 80s, and we had grocery stores. Not all small towns are the same, psycho. Food deserts occur in poor towns just as they occur in poor areas of large towns. You don’t care? Fine. Stick your thumb in your ass, then suck it like a popsicle.

No shit. Tell that to captain antifa. Why would I pull my thumb out your girls ass to put it in mine?

SO wait, if they aren't legit food deserts, where the fuck we supposed to be lootin'?

Every fucking time, y'all make my ass commute long ways to do some green grocer stealin'.  Or not.  Either way.  Dammit, Kramer and I had something for this.  Fruit's a gamble, I know that going in...

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Argyle is pretty nice now, right? Seems kinda country and out there, but the sprawl is catching up to it for the most part. I went to a game at Liberty Christian Academy in Argyle this past fall and thought it was rather nice.

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

Not to explicitly ask if it's the chicken or the egg, but I remember reading about food desserts years ago and how Dollar Generals/Family Dollars dominate in poor areas, and read about how larger chains and healthier options can't survive in poor areas because poor people don't value and buy the same foodstuffs (fresh foods, etc.) at the volume, rate and margins as other economic demographic areas do.

So, do healthy/good options not exist in those areas because they need to be subsidized?

42 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Not to explicitly ask if it's the chicken or the egg, but I remember reading about food desserts years ago and how Dollar Generals/Family Dollars dominate in poor areas, and read about how larger chains and healthier options can't survive in poor areas because poor people don't value and buy the same foodstuffs (fresh foods, etc.) at the volume, rate and margins as other economic demographic areas do.

So, do healthy/good options not exist in those areas because they need to be subsidized?

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/12/the-case-for-grocery-stores-in-dallas-many-food-deserts/ The City of Dallas gave a $3M subsidy, but the store failed and then reopened recently.

Robert Wilonsky of the Dallas Morning News once wrote that “an H-E-B spokesperson told me in 2017 there just weren’t enough residents in targeted areas to support a big store. And, those who live there, south of the Trinity River, didn’t have enough money to make such operations sustainable.”

Data from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) retailer data shows that more than 82 percent of all SNAP benefits were spent at supermarkets or supercenters, even though they only make up 14 percent of the locations that accept SNAP and are rarely located in the food deserts where residents are more likely to use the benefits.

Edited by TwiceHorn

55 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Argyle is pretty nice now, right? Seems kinda country and out there, but the sprawl is catching up to it for the most part. I went to a game at Liberty Christian Academy in Argyle this past fall and thought it was rather nice.

It is citified. 

It’s been thirty years since the hayfields became subdivisions, and the thousand became a golf course which recreated famous holes on famous courses.

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

A recent John Oliver main story focused on Dollar stores.

Depressing af. 

Twice’s post suggests folks on assistance do spend at grocery outlets when available.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/12/the-case-for-grocery-stores-in-dallas-many-food-deserts/ The City of Dallas gave a $3M subsidy, but the store failed and then reopened recently.

Robert Wilonsky of the Dallas Morning News once wrote that “an H-E-B spokesperson told me in 2017 there just weren’t enough residents in targeted areas to support a big store. And, those who live there, south of the Trinity River, didn’t have enough money to make such operations sustainable.”

Data from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) retailer data shows that more than 82 percent of all SNAP benefits were spent at supermarkets or supercenters, even though they only make up 14 percent of the locations that accept SNAP and are rarely located in the food deserts where residents are more likely to use the benefits.

From a year later: https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2019/december/what-really-happens-when-a-grocery-store-opens-in-a--food-desert.html

recent research in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, co-authored by Hunt Allcott, an associate professor in the Department of Economics, raises questions about the efficacy of this approach. He spoke with NYU News about food deserts and how they may—or may not—improve nutrition.

How did you examine the impact of food deserts on nutrition—and the value of opening supermarkets in areas that lacked them?

Between 2004 and 2016, more than a thousand supermarkets opened nationwide in neighborhoods around the country that had previously been food deserts. We studied the grocery purchases of about 10,000 households in those neighborhoods. While it’s true that these households buy less healthy groceries than people in wealthier neighborhoods, they do not start buying healthier groceries after a new supermarket opened. Instead, we find that people shop at the new supermarket, but they buy the same kinds of groceries they had been buying before.

Your findings seem to challenge the conventional wisdom on this topic. How so?

These results shouldn’t be too surprising: basic economic logic of supply and demand had foreshadowed our result.

The food desert story is that the lack of supply of healthy foods in food deserts causes lower demand for healthy foods. But the modern economy is more sophisticated than this explanation allows for—grocers have become amazingly good at selling us exactly the kinds of foods we want to buy. As a result, our data support the opposite story: lower demand for healthy food is what causes the lack of supply.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

People are creatures of habit.  There has to be a desire to eat healthier food, AND when we're talking about poor people, the "cost per calorie" can't be higher, even if that food is suddenly available.  This isn't hard to understand.  These people are trying to keep the lights on, so they're not gonna suddenly buy more kale just because it's on the shelf.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 9:17 PM, TexasEd said:

Stock market has been on a tear this year but the 20s are probably not benefiting from it 

No they’re not but that is how it is and will always be. Your 20s-40s is about putting money into your retirement or brokerage accounts, and hopefully in your 40s-60s is about large growth. Obviously the younger people experience growth or losses and the older people still contribute funds but the material growth only occurs when your account gets to be a certain size, relative to your income/expenses.

But in the flip side, the young are protected against falling market in that the actual amount lost is low and they don’t need their retirement income for a long time. From that perspective, they should view it as an opportunity.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But in the flip side, the young are protected against falling market in that the actual amount lost is low and they don’t need their retirement income for a long time. From that perspective, they should view it as an opportunity.

Except for whenever markets fall, it's used as an excuse for layoffs which make it hard to justify saving up to reach that critical mass. Boomers and olds had the benefit of market and employment norms that provided significantly more stability and opportunity to take risks than current 20-40yo bracket. 

• Hook 'Em 3