88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

Wonder what the odds of passing are for Dade phelans new big bill talking about 5% annual caps on assessments, not just for homeowners but all property in the state. It would decimate the big metros with their reliance on commercial prop assessments, plus the big metros are behind on their values already. 

3 hours ago, bluto said:

Wonder what the odds of passing are for Dade phelans new big bill talking about 5% annual caps on assessments, not just for homeowners but all property in the state. It would decimate the big metros with their reliance on commercial prop assessments, plus the big metros are behind on their values already. 

Maybe  @BearSchlong has some insight into how this is 4D chess being played by a real Texan, like this is preferable to a property tax reduction for Anglo Baptists being proposed by Dan Patrick or something.  

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So is there a chance in hell any of these batshit bills pass or is this all performance art?

This is the silly season when stupid ideas actually make it into bills that are introduced.  Almost all of them will quietly die in committee.

That being said, some of these truly horrific ideas will make it as amendments to other bills.  So that's fun.

Finally, it was good of the Republicans to identify several websites that offer information on abortion.  Now all I have to do to a woman in need of such services is hand her a copy of proposed legislation.  No crime in that.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Maybe  @BearSchlong has some insight into how this is 4D chess being played by a real Texan, like this is preferable to a property tax reduction for Anglo Baptists being proposed by Dan Patrick or something.  

Not long after I posted the plaid asshole Patrick stepped to the very same mic phelan bloviated into and said caps ain’t happening. Fun times coming in Austin as patrick/senate ptax bill has all 31 senators on board

5 minutes ago, bluto said:

Not long after I posted the plaid asshole Patrick stepped to the very same mic phelan bloviated into and said caps ain’t happening. Fun times coming in Austin as patrick/senate ptax bill has all 31 senators on board

And that's going to be a real hinderance to the Lege passing a lot of this other nonsense.  I whole lot of their time is going to be taken up with $$$.

Senate also has Bettencourt who is THE property tax guy. For the caps to pass they’d need 2/3rds approval in both chambers, assuming that’s gop vote sweep then they need about 3 dem senators and 15 dem reps,  plus a (automatic) ballot vote. Gonna be high hurdles. 

7 hours ago, TexPx said:

54821aa63dfffa093cc95b715e66c688.jpg

Good that the part of Small Government and the 1st Amendment is trying to censor what Texans can read on the internet.

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

Used to be not a month would go by, and the not a week would go by, and now it's not a day goes by that it's not fucking embarrassing to be a former Republican.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Good that the part of Small Government and the 1st Amendment is trying to censor what Texans can read on the internet.

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

Used to be not a month would go by, and the not a week would go by, and now it's not a day goes by that it's not fucking embarrassing to be a former Republican.

They let 100’s of people freeze to death statewide, rigged the maps hardcore, and have been dominating most of the races in state since 2018 which gave some of them a close call.

the Texas gop can get away with murder now and they know it, so they’re going to do it. Not enough critical thinking and self aware Texans to stop them at the polls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

Patrick seems pissed that Phelan wants to undo his past work, and he’s still pissed about how even-handed Phelan was with the Dems who jetted off to DC last session.

Phelan’s family is a significantly large commercial and residential property owner, and they are known for a buy-and-hold investment strategy. I know plenty of people who have called Dade’s brother with offers that were met with indifference. Remember that they sold groceries on credit in exchange for oil royalties to wildcatters drilling for oil 120 years ago, so they are the kings of the long game.

We all know that the perception of Texas being a low-tax state is smoke and mirrors; they will limit the ad valorem assessments while hiking rates per $100 value to get their money. My gut tells me that the Texas GOP is focused on a short-sighted money grab. The voucher thing as well, the Phelans are a huge catholic family who sent their kids to parochial schools and has a practical knowledge of public/private educational dynamics.

The GQP loves painting PHELAN as a RINO, and I was a little shocked that Dade invoked the crooked orange man’s approval in his remarks.

I haven’t done the math, but I will call the guys in Dade’s ear to get their explanation. Guys whose grandfathers did real estate deals with my grandfather in the years after WW2.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

My gut tells me that the Texas GOP is focused on a short-sighted money grab. 

32 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

the Texas gop can get away with murder now and they know it, so they’re going to do it. Not enough critical thinking and self aware Texans to stop them at the polls.

They don't have to act this MAGA/Trumpy/Shitty to win.  They don't.  Hell, there's plenty of moderates that would happily vote straight-ticket (R) if the Texas GOP wasn't acting so shitty towards everybody.

It's easy to say "oh well we're a bunch of dumbfucks like Florida, just with oil and gas and farming and ranching" or "we've got our own MTGs and Boeberts, they just haven't went full idiot yet or don't have the TV cameras on them all the time".

But touching on what BearSchlong said on the short-sighted money grab, at times this really feels like the building is on fire and they are robbing the cash register on their way out the door - like they feel that whatever power they have to enact shitty legislation to reward this or that donor or group, they may not have it in a few years or a decade because of all of the changes in the state demographics.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They don't have to act this MAGA/Trumpy/Shitty to win.  They don't.  Hell, there's plenty of moderates that would happily vote straight-ticket (R) if the Texas GOP wasn't acting so shitty towards everybody.

It's easy to say "oh well we're a bunch of dumbfucks like Florida, just with oil and gas and farming and ranching" or "we've got our own MTGs and Boeberts, they just haven't went full idiot yet or don't have the TV cameras on them all the time".

But touching on what BearSchlong said on the short-sighted money grab, at times this really feels like the building is on fire and they are robbing the cash register on their way out the door - like they feel that whatever power they have to enact shitty legislation to reward this or that donor or group, they may not have it in a few years or a decade because of all of the changes in the state demographics.

I thought that a few years ago when the elections were pretty close in 2018, but Texas democrats got their clocks cleaned in 2020 and 2022. We need to show some strength at the polls again for me to get my hopes up. The rural retards keep not dying off, keep showing up en masse, and out voting us civilized city / suburb folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I thought that a few years ago when the elections were pretty close in 2018, but Texas democrats got their clocks cleaned in 2020 and 2022. We need to show some strength at the polls again for me to get my hopes up. The rural retards keep not dying off, keep showing up en masse, and out voting us civilized city / suburb folks.

For every rural retard that dies off, it seems two blue collar Trumpkins from Ohio or Michigan, or PA move here to work in the oil patch. The oilfield is one of the last bastions of high wage blue collar jobs in the US. As long as the oil and gas industry lubes the gears of Texas politics, this state will stay red. I've given up and am making exit plans for when my kids are off to college (hopefully outside of Texas...at least my daughter). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Let's not forget the rigged districts. It's not simply a matter of being outvoted.

Statewide it is. If the dems could turn Texas blue for a presidential cycle or win a coveted office like governor, lieutenant governor, or attorney general it would help energize the party to win those down ballot races, but the Texas gop seems to have the dems boxed in pretty good right now.

thank god things look promising with the Midwest blue wall ( minus Ohio) and still look good in Georgia / arizona.

• Hook 'Em 1

No way this passes right? Right? (I highlighted some of it). And then notice the vendor ban if ISDs are found in violation.

Text from SB1443 proposed by (I think) Senator Hall:

Sec.A33.023.AAPROHIBITED SCHOOL LIBRARY MATERIALS AND
CERTAIN PERFORMANCES; PARENTAL RIGHTS REGARDING SCHOOL LIBRARY
MATERIALS. (a) A school district may not include in the catalog of
a school library of the district a book, magazine, or publication
that contains:

(1)AAa depiction or description of:
(A) pederasty;
(B) pedophilia;
(C) any type of romantic or sexual attraction
between an adult and a minor;
(D) masturbation, including mutual masturbation;

(E) sadomasochism;
(F) bestiality;
(G) sodomy;
(H) fellatio;
(I) any type of romantic or sexual attraction
between individuals of the same sex;

(J) transvestism;
(K) gender dysphoria;
(L) transgenderism;
(M) sexual intercourse; or

(2)AAa referral to a website or material that contains
a depiction or description of a topic described by Subdivision (1).

---------

Sec.A33.024.AAPURCHASE OF LIBRARY MATERIALS FROM CERTAIN
VENDORS PROHIBITED. (a) If a school district or open-enrollment
charter school determines that a material in the catalog of a
school library of the district or school is in violation of Sec.
33.023, the district or school shall report to the agency as soon
as practicable the material and the vendor from which the district
or school purchased the material.
(b)AAThe agency shall maintain on the agency
’s Internet
website a list of vendors reported to the agency under Subsection
(a). The agency shall update the list not later than the 30th day
after the date the agency receives a report under Subsection (a).
(c)AAA school district or open-enrollment charter school may
not purchase materials from a vendor on the list described by
Subsection (b).

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I) any type of romantic or sexual attraction
between individuals of the same sex;

Oh yeah, it’s going to pass, based on that alone.  We are in a shitty timeline in a shitty state that is going to make a run at passing up Florida as the shittiest state.  

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

No way this passes right? Right? (I highlighted some of it). And then notice the vendor ban if ISDs are found in violation.

Oh, and that bill was written in such a way that if you oppose it for trying to ban books with characters who are gay, lesbian, etc., they will claim you are also supporting pedophilia.

I will admit the bit about bestiality is curious, since this would impact Bryan/College Station and much of East Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh yeah, it’s going to pass, based on that alone.  We are in a shitty timeline in a shitty state that is going to make a run at passing up Florida as the shittiest state.  

I'm still befuddled by M) No sexual intercourse.

Is the Senator unaware that there are libraries in upper grades beyond elementary schools?

No Bible nor many works worldwide that make up a great canon of literature.

And then once found, to remove that vendor from the list of places from which to obtain books? Guess that old Abeka curriculum is coming soon to a school near you. Apparently even Abeka had a book titled Sex, Love, and Romance which was to 'guide teens to adopt a biblical morality for themselves,' but it has been discontinued.

Texas going independent is our best chance of becoming Mexicans again and I endorse that. Our ability to handle our “border invasion” shows how well that would go.

US will probably invade immediately, but a man can dream

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

Texas going independent is our best chance of becoming Mexicans again and I endorse that.

Catholicism is the largest religious sect in Texas.  Texas is a minority-majority state and has been for over a decade, and Hispanics are about to pass up or have passed up whites/caucasians in population numbers in Texas.  Mexico has 130 million people, and even with their tiny military, it outnumbers the Texas National Guard by hundreds of thousands.  We would lose all federal security along the border, as well as all federal military (Texas won't have nukes either, and won't have aircraft or ships).  And the US would happily put the screws to us in terms of trade, and you can bet they'd make it too expensive for countries/companies to ship through Houston, which means all of that traffic shifts over to New Orleans and points east, or to the West.

The drug cartels would far outnumber our National Guard/DPS/etc. and would easily control the border towns without the US government around, as the Texas state government scrambles to figure out how to hire tens of thousands of agents/soldiers/etc. to put on the border.

I like to point that stuff out to the Texit idiots I know, and they get a little hesitant.  Some of them still don't even know that Texas is a minority-majority state.

But hey, Rick Perry can be brought back into state government service to secure our borders with the 12,000 employees of DPS, and he can personally patrol the border.

perry.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Imagine the exodus of people from cities and likely many corporations that are not O&G. Goddamn my state is dumb.

Yep, none of them want to be considered a "foreign" corporation, separate from the US (or they'd have already moved their HQs to another country).

And a fuckload of people would move, as their jobs move, and/or because they like being Americans with all of the security that is behind that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

It's going to be real awkward in those early presidential debates when someone asks hot wheels why he wants to be president when members of his own party are sponsoring bills to explore secession. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Catholicism is the largest religious sect in Texas.  Texas is a minority-majority state and has been for over a decade, and Hispanics are about to pass up or have passed up whites/caucasians in population numbers in Texas.  Mexico has 130 million people, and even with their tiny military, it outnumbers the Texas National Guard by hundreds of thousands.  We would lose all federal security along the border, as well as all federal military (Texas won't have nukes either, and won't have aircraft or ships).  And the US would happily put the screws to us in terms of trade, and you can bet they'd make it too expensive for countries/companies to ship through Houston, which means all of that traffic shifts over to New Orleans and points east, or to the West.

The drug cartels would far outnumber our National Guard/DPS/etc. and would easily control the border towns without the US government around, as the Texas state government scrambles to figure out how to hire tens of thousands of agents/soldiers/etc. to put on the border.

I like to point that stuff out to the Texit idiots I know, and they get a little hesitant.  Some of them still don't even know that Texas is a minority-majority state.

But hey, Rick Perry can be brought back into state government service to secure our borders with the 12,000 employees of DPS, and he can personally patrol the border.

perry.jpeg

Is that the Matamoros hostage rescue team?  

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's going to be real awkward in those early presidential debates when someone asks hot wheels why he wants to be president when members of his own party are sponsoring bills to explore secession. 

I'm sure that Abbott isn't happy about this being tossed out there, because not only has he never had a chance at the White House, but this kind of stuff could kill off whatever position he is angling for with 2024's run (cabinet position or whatever).  My guess is AG.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, we've discussed this at length.  But you take off your Texas hat, and you're "What the fuck with Abbott" confusion cap and you realize that---okay, there's a couple dozen other GOP governors not named DeSantis or Abbott.  Most of them are quietly leading their states, not trying to out-psycho one another.  What the fuck is it about Abbott?  A lot of governors, MOST governors, just term out or retire.  Maybe run for Senate, but that's fucking it.  But I guess they sense the end is coming.  I still think Abbott jockeys for a cabinet slot or 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.  But nobody is voting for a guy that's gonna be 69 at Inauguration after the two senile dipshits we've had lately.  You don't see McMaster or fucking Kay ivey jumping on in here.  

But Abbott is gonna spend this session and the three special ones he calls after it as an attention whore jockeying for the most bizarre shit you ever saw outta Texas.  and we just got done lynching people.  He's got one hail mary left in him and we're all gonna bear the brunt of it.  

I'm just morbidly curious what he and Dan Patrick do in 3 years besides a suicide-pact. 

Way to go Royse City, Greenville, Sulphur Springs, and Canton. You elected a kiddie diddler youth minister, whose wife is named after toilet paper, as your representative.

Born in Mineola, Texas, Bryan Slaton is a proud East Texan with values and principles that represent the great people of East Texas. These values were formed as he grew up regularly participating in church and family gatherings. Bryan attended Ouachita Baptist University, where he earned a double major in Youth Ministry/Speech Communication. He then attended Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and earned a Masters of Divinity with Biblical Languages. He served in the ministry as a Youth and Family Minister for 13 years.

Continuing his education, Bryan graduated from The University of North Texas, where he earned a Bachelor degree in Business Administration Accounting. Bryan now works at the family business.

Bryan Slaton is passionate about helping the people of East Texas obtain and maintain a Government that is transparent, protects liberty, defends the sanctity of life and fulfills the will of the sovereign people of Texas. 

Representative Slaton enjoys hunting and shooting.  Bryan and his wife, Sharmen, have been married for 3 years. They have a son, Maximus, and attend Fellowship Church - Royse City.

https://house.texas.gov/members/member-page/?district=2

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, we've discussed this at length.  But you take off your Texas hat, and you're "What the fuck with Abbott" confusion cap and you realize that---okay, there's a couple dozen other GOP governors not named DeSantis or Abbott.  Most of them are quietly leading their states, not trying to out-psycho one another.  What the fuck is it about Abbott?  A lot of governors, MOST governors, just term out or retire.  Maybe run for Senate, but that's fucking it.  But I guess they sense the end is coming.  I still think Abbott jockeys for a cabinet slot or 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.  But nobody is voting for a guy that's gonna be 69 at Inauguration after the two senile dipshits we've had lately.  You don't see McMaster or fucking Kay ivey jumping on in here.  

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But Abbott is gonna spend this session and the three special ones he calls after it as an attention whore jockeying for the most bizarre shit you ever saw outta Texas.  and we just got done lynching people.  He's got one hail mary left in him and we're all gonna bear the brunt of it.  

I'm just morbidly curious what he and Dan Patrick do in 3 years besides a suicide-pact. 

We kind of know that the West Texas fracking money that was backing Huffines had Abbott scared and veering hard right, but it's done, Abbott won, and he's smart enough to know he has no chance next year for the White House, outside of a cabinet position.

Fucking weird.  You can see it with Patrick - whole lot going on with that guy.  But yeah, Abbott, he's not doing anything to make anybody outside of Texas want to put him in their cabinet, and I doubt anybody wants to nominate all that many judges in their late 60s.

Agreed with all that.  And in this judicial climate, I'd agree but the way the White House ebbs and flows...even a GOP loss in 2024 for POTUS...Abbott can still run again in 2026 or hang back in 2025 after leaving office and just do foundational or higher ed work and still get a nod for 5th Circuit.  No way somebody would put him on SCOtUS, but if you look at the roster of 5th circuit, a GOP president in 2029 could easily squeeze him until the end of his life.  It wouldn't be a gambit for the 5th circuit based on party breakdown and ages back there.  

Dan Patrick is another question mark.  Maybe they work out something where Dan, as much as he loves running the Senate, takes over for Abbott in 2025 (I mean, runs and wins) or ascends to Governor if Abbott runs in 2026 and takes a GOP posting in 2029.  But remember even with those hips of a girl getting her first period at Lilith Fair, Dan Patrick will be 73 next month.  He'd be nearly 80 in January of 2029.  And then the other seat in this musical chairs game of sociopaths is Cruz and his seat/ascension plans.  Cornyn is running one more time in 2026 and then retiring.  That's all we truly now.  

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

he makes a very very good point ...

• Rage+1 2

On 3/2/2023 at 11:58 PM, BearSchlong said:

Patrick seems pissed that Phelan wants to undo his past work, and he’s still pissed about how even-handed Phelan was with the Dems who jetted off to DC last session.

Phelan’s family is a significantly large commercial and residential property owner, and they are known for a buy-and-hold investment strategy. I know plenty of people who have called Dade’s brother with offers that were met with indifference. Remember that they sold groceries on credit in exchange for oil royalties to wildcatters drilling for oil 120 years ago, so they are the kings of the long game.

We all know that the perception of Texas being a low-tax state is smoke and mirrors; they will limit the ad valorem assessments while hiking rates per $100 value to get their money. My gut tells me that the Texas GOP is focused on a short-sighted money grab. The voucher thing as well, the Phelans are a huge catholic family who sent their kids to parochial schools and has a practical knowledge of public/private educational dynamics.

The GQP loves painting PHELAN as a RINO, and I was a little shocked that Dade invoked the crooked orange man’s approval in his remarks.

I haven’t done the math, but I will call the guys in Dade’s ear to get their explanation. Guys whose grandfathers did real estate deals with my grandfather in the years after WW2.

Phelan is just another entitled douche bag living off the efforts of his great great great grands. No need to try to paint him as anything else.

If he has his eye on anything above state legislator, he will get on his knees and suck Trump off, just like the rest of them

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

he makes a very very good point ...

Did I miss a meeting?  We don't have statewide referendums in Texas, so how exactly does his mechanism work unless we first amend the constitution?  Oh wait, I forgot who we're talking about here.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Did I miss a meeting?  We don't have statewide referendums in Texas, so how exactly does his mechanism work unless we first amend the constitution?  Oh wait, I forgot who we're talking about here.  

This is the same asshole that wants to lower your taxes to zero if you have 10 kids and stay married, so...

blazing-saddles-gene-wilder.gif

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Agreed with all that.  And in this judicial climate, I'd agree but the way the White House ebbs and flows...even a GOP loss in 2024 for POTUS...Abbott can still run again in 2026 or hang back in 2025 after leaving office and just do foundational or higher ed work and still get a nod for 5th Circuit.  No way somebody would put him on SCOtUS, but if you look at the roster of 5th circuit, a GOP president in 2029 could easily squeeze him until the end of his life.  It wouldn't be a gambit for the 5th circuit based on party breakdown and ages back there.  

Dan Patrick is another question mark.  Maybe they work out something where Dan, as much as he loves running the Senate, takes over for Abbott in 2025 (I mean, runs and wins) or ascends to Governor if Abbott runs in 2026 and takes a GOP posting in 2029.  But remember even with those hips of a girl getting her first period at Lilith Fair, Dan Patrick will be 73 next month.  He'd be nearly 80 in January of 2029.  And then the other seat in this musical chairs game of sociopaths is Cruz and his seat/ascension plans.  Cornyn is running one more time in 2026 and then retiring.  That's all we truly now.  

Bathroom Dan said this is his last term…..thankfully. I heard it somewhere. As for Abbott,  it’s really annoying that our backwards political state doesn’t have term limits o8ke a lot of other states do.

On 3/2/2023 at 11:58 PM, BearSchlong said:

Phelan is an entitled POS. Plus he’s just weird.  Hope he is enjoying letting his kids skateboard around the capital at night living in his free apartment. The only reason he looks halfway sane is that he is compared to Danny Goeb and Hotwheels.  His family is why Beaumont was not allowed to grow and has become Port Arthur light. 

28 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Phelan is an entitled POS. Plus he’s just weird.  Hope he is enjoying letting his kids skateboard around the capital at night living in his free apartment. The only reason he looks halfway sane is that he is compared to Danny Goeb and Hotwheels.  His family is why Beaumont was not allowed to grow and has become Port Arthur light. 

Lol. Is that supposed to be a dig at Beaumont? Who'd want to be Port Arthur? Much less Port Arthur lite?