88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

Phelan is an entitled POS. Plus he’s just weird.  Hope he is enjoying letting his kids skateboard around the capital at night living in his free apartment. The only reason he looks halfway sane is that he is compared to Danny Goeb and Hotwheels.  His family is why Beaumont was not allowed to grow and has become Port Arthur light. 

(Baffled, oh yeah, I’m in CR)

Phelan is just another entitled douche bag living off the efforts of his great great great grands. No need to try to paint him as anything else.

If he has his eye on anything above state legislator, he will get on his knees and suck Trump off, just like the rest of them

Yeah nah. But it is CR, so I’ll allow it.

Phelan is an entitled POS. Plus he’s just weird.  Hope he is enjoying letting his kids skateboard around the capital at night living in his free apartment. The only reason he looks halfway sane is that he is compared to Danny Goeb and Hotwheels.  His family is why Beaumont was not allowed to grow and has become Port Arthur light. 

Man that is an interesting take. Probably the most indirect borderline racist post I’ve ever seen.

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Yeah nah. But it is CR, so I’ll allow it.

What has he accomplished that wasn’t a direct result of his family ties?

and he’s the highest ranking legislator of the party that has taken away the rights of women in this state and is trying its damnedest to make opposition voting impossible. Fuck him

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Man that is an interesting take. Probably the most indirect borderline racist post I’ve ever seen.

You must have guilty conscience. What’s racist about pointing out that Port Arthur has had a collapse of all its institutions? Schools are terrible, crime is high, no economic opportunity and they can’t even get trash picked up. It used to be a thriving place.  Are you telling me that you actually think that Beaumont is as nice a place as it was twenty years ago?

His family owned all the land surrounding the city and refused efforts over the decades to have it expand or bring new industry. 

Your buddy Dade is a putz. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Sir, I'll have you know I was born and raised in Port Arthur and.......Yea, okay...carry on. 

If you grew up there any time before 1990 it probably wasn’t that bad a place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

You must have guilty conscience. What’s racist about pointing out that Port Arthur has had a collapse of all its institutions? Schools are terrible, crime is high, no economic opportunity and they can’t even get trash picked up. It used to be a thriving place.  Are you telling me that you actually think that Beaumont is as nice a place as it was twenty years ago?

His family owned all the land surrounding the city and refused efforts over the decades to have it expand or bring new industry. 

Your buddy Dade is a putz. 

To clarify my comment should have been reverse racist but I'd like to apologize and retract that comment.

Pray tell, what other industries were begging to move to SETX? "Silicone Bayou" doesn't really resonate.  And it's not like the Broussard's Dishman's, Leger's, and Parigi's didn't have land to sell.

Beaumont and Port Arthur thrived when company ownership and management was local, before they all moved to Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Doha.

Port Arthur survives on federal grants and whatever tax revenues it can shake loose from Valero and Motiva.

I've said all along that if Texas has to be red, then whew, good, at least I know the speaker isn't a raging MAGA asshole.  I came up when Mark Stiles was my rep and Jack Brooks was my congressman and so I'm predisposed to vote D.

Unfortunately, the local democrats are so inept that the lady they trusted with their bank account is sitting in Jefferson County Jail for trying to blackmail and extort Joe Deshotel.

36 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

To clarify my comment should have been reverse racist but I'd like to apologize and retract that comment.

Pray tell, what other industries were begging to move to SETX? "Silicone Bayou" doesn't really resonate.  And it's not like the Broussard's Dishman's, Leger's, and Parigi's didn't have land to sell.

Beaumont and Port Arthur thrived when company ownership and management was local, before they all moved to Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Doha.

Port Arthur survives on federal grants and whatever tax revenues it can shake loose from Valero and Motiva.

I've said all along that if Texas has to be red, then whew, good, at least I know the speaker isn't a raging MAGA asshole.  I came up when Mark Stiles was my rep and Jack Brooks was my congressman and so I'm predisposed to vote D.

Unfortunately, the local democrats are so inept that the lady they trusted with their bank account is sitting in Jefferson County Jail for trying to blackmail and extort Joe Deshotel.

Fair points. The old timers can fill you in on how tight they were with the land west of town. 
If Brooks had not rerouted I10 from its original plan to follow what is now Hwy 73 the two cities might just as well switched places. 
It just seems like a low bar to say that Phelan has some redeeming value because he is outwardly not MAGA.  Let me tell you, he is as MAGA as they come when it serves his interests. 
Never was impressed with him before I even knew what his politics were.  He does not really believe in things that are truly beneficial to his constituents. The greatest trick the republicans have pulled is convincing lower to middle class voters to vote against their self interests. 
And yes, trusting Mary Bond with money was not a good idea.  My impression is that politics divides down racial lines down there for the most part but I could be wrong. 

Edited by CTC2

On 3/8/2023 at 10:58 AM, hookemATL said:

Port Arthur gave us Janis, so they got that going for them...which is nice.

On 3/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, WBT said:

And Jamal Charles 

On 3/8/2023 at 12:36 PM, CTC2 said:

Don’t forget GW

All y'all forgot to add...

Bbun-B.png

Fuck all y'all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

That's not going to get a bunch of innocent Texans of Hispanic descent arrested or killed.
200.gif

Yep. Can’t WAIT till family members of mine on their way to the Mall de las Aguilas get detained by a posse of high-strung heavily armed Cleti down there playing army on “suspicion of being wetbacks! Show us yer papers, wets!” That’ll go well.
  • Rage+1 1

Ways/means hearing on hb2 (appraisal caps) yesterday. when it was brought up that it would severely hinder revenues of jurisdictions, the retort was they just need to spend less…. Looking like 5% annual appraisal caps on ALL real property will get through the house, but senate isn’t keen on the idea. 

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Senate unveils power grid bills targeting renewable energy (dallasnews.com)

Legislature, with Abbott's and Patrick's support, are going after renewable energy, including restrictions on new construction, etc.

And going back-assward at high speed brought to you by the sexual predator and drunk driver Charles Schwertner. Actual criminals fucking up our future. All gas no brakes.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The provision to force renewable energy producers to buy NG-derived electricity to replace what they don’t produce on cloudy/ no wind days is just the chef’s kiss of fuck you to everybody.

wait... is this correct?

that's so ridiculous it's almost unbelievable. almost.

i feel like i've said that a lot the last 8 years 😐

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2023 at 12:17 PM, tx 3 putt said:

W/r/t deputizing citizens for border security- Eventually they will come around to a notion of restricting gun rights to people who live in the city limits of cities over 700k in the name of law and order and preventing access by illegals in  so-called “sanctuary cities”, and basically decent guys like @fattyflattie will still manage to twist themselves into a pro-2A reason to vote for the party. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, troph said:

This is super intense stuff, and it causes a lot of pain and fear.

Which is why they do it, and why it's a central part of their playbook.

Still can't tell if this is just them getting some success with abortion and deciding to floor it and see how far they can go, or if they are worried that they will lose power in the next 5-10 years and so are trying to be as horrible as possible on the way out the door. 

I also think they are seeing how far they can go, as a part of the effort to lay the groundwork for going after contraception and interracial marriage, among other Supreme Court cases that they want overturned.  If they can turn the screws on a really marginalized, underrepresented, and discriminated population like the LBGTQ population and get away with it, they will test those waters.  This is literally a case of "first the came for...then they came for...and finally they came for..."

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

Anybody else notice how in the last few weeks, people of all political stripes have started conflating contraception and interracial marriage into the same political discussions?  People have misguided opinions on abortion, gay marriage, and birth control.  But have you taken note that we're already talking about birth control pills and interracial marriage in the same sentence as if they have jackshit to do with one another?  Think about how weird that is when you open a newspaper article tomorrow.  I know, like Roe v. Wade, they've been longstanding pillars of progress.  But think about how they actually don't have anything to do with one another, but are conjoined in bills and policy and media right now.  Pretty fucked up.  

• Hook 'Em 1