88th Texas Legislature

atomheartbevo

On 2/19/2023 at 1:42 PM, CooterBrown said:

It’s to subsidize keeping the masses out of private schools.

True. But it's only a step toward keeping the masses out of any schools ... that are not run by Christian fascists. The long game is a fascist theocracy ruling the educational systems in Texas.

Edited by BevoAbyss
added sentence
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 5:01 PM, 1978horn said:

Bill introduced to prohibit polling locations on institutions of higher education.

https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB2390/2023

image.thumb.png.ad8b4daa13d7690ff2ac0747f6e84367.png

Carrie Isaac worked really hard on this!

Rep. Isaac told KBTX she filed HB 2390 for one main reason.

“I’ve knocked a lot of doors on the campaign trail, spoke with a lot of concerned parents about safety of their children,” she said. “Its going to be a hot topic this legislative session. Governor Greg Abbott made this an emergency item. I believe that all schools are target rich environments.”

Isaac said keeping the polls away from campuses is in the best interest of safety due to too many non-students and faculty visiting public campuses like Texas A&M’s during elections.

“Having these long, drawn out primaries, in Texas we have the longest voting period than any other state,” said Isaac. “There’s a lot of opportunity there for people to be places they shouldn’t be. I just know in this session this is going to be a topic we cover intensely, school safety. I just believe these are a couple areas we can improve on.”

I guess we should prohibit athletic events, too, in the name of keeping non-students off of campuses?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:04 AM, South Austin said:

Same, except my career sort of has me trapped in Austin.

Me too.  Already talked to my wife, and told her "them's the hazards of me choosing a career as a Texas trial lawyer."  Gotta play out my career string here.

But once it's done....may maintain a primary residence "base of operations" here just because of ease, but expect that we won't spend much time here.  And who knows, if one of the kids ends up back in the US, then maybe our base of operations will be there.  But if you'd have told me 25 years ago that I wouldn't dig deep into my roots and stay in Texas forever, I'd have told you that you were nuts.  But that was before my state decided to go full-on "just be a cruel dick whenever possible."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

image.thumb.png.ad8b4daa13d7690ff2ac0747f6e84367.png

Carrie Isaac worked really hard on this!

I guess we should prohibit athletic events, too, in the name of keeping non-students off of campuses?

Wait....as a member of the public....the campus of a public, state university....is a place I SHOULDN'T be?  These fucking clowns, their lies to support their evil aren't even fucking competent.  They're so fucking stupid, and the stupids keep voting for them.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What, you're not retiring the second your kids graduate high school? Clearly you're not tugging on your boot straps hard enough, sir. 

I don't know if this was directed at me...I don't think it was...but I work remotely, and I can work from anywhere. Not retiring when my kids graduate, I just don't have to live in their high school attendance zone, per the terms of my divorce decree. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't know if this was directed at me...I don't think it was...but I work remotely, and I can work from anywhere. Not retiring when my kids graduate, I just don't have to live in their high school attendance zone, per the terms of my divorce decree. 

I mean, it most certainly was not. Hence why I directly quoted South Austin in my actual post, sir. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, it most certainly was not. Hence why I directly quoted South Austin in my actual post, sir. 

No worries. He was quoting me saying I was thinking of leaving as soon as my kids graduated from high school, so I thought you might be under the impression that I was retiring...as if I'll ever be able to retire after getting divorced in my early 50s. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

No worries. He was quoting me saying I was thinking of leaving as soon as my kids graduated from high school, so I thought you might be under the impression that I was retiring...as if I'll ever be able to retire after getting divorced in my early 50s. 

Ha. No, I was more making a joke about his practice, and mocking the kind of right wing dipshits who probably think everyone should be wealthy enough to retire when their kids finish HS, regardless of age. It was obviously vague but I was going for a "let them eat cake" vibe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. No, I was more making a joke about his practice, and mocking the kind of right wing dipshits who probably think everyone should be wealthy enough to retire when their kids finish HS, regardless of age. It was obviously vague but I was going for a "let them eat cake" vibe. 

I'll have you know, sir, that I am not a dipshit of the right wing variety.

• Haha 2

Some dick named Bob Hall filed a bill to impose liability on health care providers and insurers who provide/cover gender-affirming care to anyone. Yes, ADULTS. And this means even hormone therapy. Fuck this state and its voters who keep voting for these extremists.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Isaac said keeping the polls away from campuses is in the best interest of safety due to too many non-students and faculty visiting public campuses like Texas A&M’s during elections.

Ummm, I guess prohibiting faculty from visiting the public campus of a public university for the duration of an election would make total sense to Aggie. I mean not like elections occur during class time or anything.

I get it though. Can't have those young folks voting. But using safety when they already allow guns on campuses is pretty stupid.

9 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Also, doesn’t voting take place at elementary/middle/high schools? This bill doesn’t address those children. Hmmmm…

And churches.  Seriously, all of the polling places near me are either schools or churches.  But those people?  Well, they can get fucked.  We REALLY need to, umm, protect university students from VOTERS being anywhere near them.

It's just another shameless disenfranchisement effort, and they aren't even bothering to come up with good lies.  She might as well say the reason for the legislation is that it will prevent gorings by unicorns.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'll have you know, sir, that I am not a dipshit of the right wing variety.

Don't sell yourself short, judge -- you're a tremendous slouch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Some dick named Bob Hall filed a bill to impose liability on health care providers and insurers who provide/cover gender-affirming care to anyone. Yes, ADULTS. And this means even hormone therapy. Fuck this state and its voters who keep voting for these extremists.

This son of a bitch is my state Senator.  He's a real pos.  I'm sure I'm on his condescending response list, because that's all I ever get out of him.  The district has a sliver of Dallas in it, my sliver, then a whole bunch of bum fuck east Texas with all that entails, including Bob fucking Hall. God I hate him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

solid pier though 

• Like 2

Again, at least the Republicans are being open about trying to control everybody.  Sure, Republican voters are fine with being controlled, because that’s what the GOP has been preparing them for, but it’s still interesting how openly the party of small government has become the party of invasive government.  

You would think the Republicans would at least try to slow-roll things so that people didn’t realize how Big Brotherish they are becoming, but maybe they’ve seen some polling data that has them rushing this stuff through now.

Me too.

A few weeks ago I was at a charity gala and found myself sitting next to my US congress critter, Randy Weber. During introductions my wife and I just glared at him, and didn’t shake hands. He focused on the other people, like my FIL, the regional head of DPS, and a genuinely good guy self-made philanthropist, and out of politeness to them I didn’t loudly proclaim what an unmitigated immoral unprincipled son of a bitch I think he is.

I regret my inaction.

But I wish Dade would run for statewide office, he is a real Texan, his great grandfather was at Spindletop, his wife has done a lot to help to help children through ad litum CPS advocacy, and his uncle is almost like a father to me, he is one of the most selfless, helpful people I’ve ever met.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas ban on firms that don't invest in firearms and fossil fuels is costing taxpayers.”

It’s part of a Republican backlash to environmental, social and corporate governance initiatives, known as ESG. Two years ago, Texas lawmakers passed bills to protect the fossil-fuel and gun industries by punishing financial firms that embraced certain ESG policies.

Last month, the Texas Office of the Attorney General “determined that Citigroup has a policy that discriminates against a firearm entity,” which meant Citi couldn’t conduct certain state business. When Citi was dropped from a $3.4 billion bond offering — a sale to raise money to pay costs from the February 2021 winter storm – Gov. Greg Abbott was eager to crow about it.

“Texas has a $2 trillion economy,” Abbott wrote on his personal Twitter feed on Feb. 10. “We won’t be bullied or discriminated against by woke ESG policies. We dropped Citigroup from the group of banks participating in [the] biggest-ever municipal-bond transaction from Texas.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/economy/2023/02/23/wide-open-for-business-texas-cancels-firms-over-guns-and-oil-and-the-public-will-pay/

Edited by Satchel
  • Like 1

Also, doesn’t voting take place at elementary/middle/high schools? This bill doesn’t address those children. Hmmmm…

This could be trouble. Behind the Pine Curtain middle schools are “ institutes of higher learning”

Actually I thought the bill was to outlaw drop boxes at Colleges. The polling place where I live that has the highest turnout is the Community College.
This sucks.

On 2/23/2023 at 6:12 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Republicans: OMG DEMOCRATS ARE CONTROLLING BIG TECH AND SUPPRESSING THE PEOPLE

Texas Republicans: Literally dictating what private health insurance companies and companies cover, trying to ban doing business with “woke” corporations, trying to ban or control what social media is allowed, cutting banks out of business with they state if they have pro-LBGTQ policies, etc., trying to prevent women from leaving the state for legal abortions, and threatening to prosecute them if they do, trying to prevent national corporations from mailing certain legal medications to customers, banning adult Texans from smoking pot or gambling, even though they can do it in Oklahoma or Louisiana, etc., trying to dictate how cities and counties are run at the local level, trying to prevent certain people from voting, trying to fuck over public education.

It really is fucking pathetic.  I always thought the liquor sale and auto sale restrictions in regard to times, etc. was dumbfuck, but this legislature is hell-bent on making us outdo Florida for stupidity.

And every week, I feel more and more embarrassed about having been a Republican.

It's a race to the bottom:  https://www.insideedition.com/gop-legislator-introduces-bill-that-would-eliminate-floridas-democratic-party-80073

The basis is not recognizing any party that ever in it's history supported slavery or forced servitude.  That covers a lot of Civil War era Dixiecrats that jumped ship to the Republicans starting in the Nixon years.

6 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

This was their answer to 9 out of every 10 kids born in Texas were minorities. 

Gives the biggest tax breaks to the biggest burdens.

But it seems to me that large families would pay much more out in sales tax than they would recoup in reduced property taxes.  I doubt very many are living in mansions.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 years ago, when considering retirement, we looked hard at Austin and Houston.  We had lived in Houston the prior four years and grew to enjoy it, but for retirement it wasn’t, uh, a beautiful solution.   Austin was too damn expensive for any premium property.   Long story short, Seattle was cheaper than Austin.  I can highly recommend western WA, for you poor folks trapped there in Texas.  It is run by normal, responsible people, and looks to be doing that for some time in the future.  That wasn’t among the selection criteria 11 years ago.  Now it would be at the top.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

11 years ago, when considering retirement, we looked hard at Austin and Houston.  We had lived in Houston the prior four years and grew to enjoy it, but for retirement it wasn’t, uh, a beautiful solution.   Austin was too damn expensive for any premium property.   Long story short, Seattle was cheaper than Austin.  I can highly recommend western WA, for you poor folks trapped there in Texas.  It is run by normal, responsible people, and looks to be doing that for some time in the future.  That wasn’t among the selection criteria 11 years ago.  Now it would be at the top.

Thought you were dead.

14 hours ago, pacman said:

She claims to be filing that one as well.

Yeah, she didn't think about K-12 until someone mentioned it to her.  Now she has plans to file that bill.

With all the forced open carry laws on public campuses you think they would be the safest place.