2023 Dallas Cowboys "We Suck Again" Off-Season Thread

LTtxfan

59 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nobody...... nobody should fucking ever believe the owners don't have enough money...... fuck that.   They have more than enough money to pay both. 

this isn’t baseball, there’s a hard cap.  micah is gonna get $40MM/year or he’ll probably leave.  we need to allocate money to pay him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone posted a video on YouTube of the cowboys running “2min drill”. It looked like we are running a dink and dak offense with occasional deep balls over the top. I hope that’s not how our offense feels this year, but it seems very believable.

We should all be prepared for having a loaded roster and fantastic defense then get wasted by a bunch of aggravating 3rd down non-conversions effectively turnovers.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

this isn’t baseball, there’s a hard cap.  micah is gonna get $40MM/year or he’ll probably leave.  we need to allocate money to pay him. 

Seeing as how the highest paid edge rusher in the league makes 28 a year now that would be a bad decision. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The dumbest man in football opening up his mouth when he should have it nailed shut..... 

Nobody...... nobody should fucking ever believe the owners don't have enough money...... fuck that.   They have more than enough money to pay both. 

Seinfeld What GIF by HULU

He’s talking about the salary cap. Any idiot should be able to reason that out.

Edited by lilMAC25

Yeah but Jerry is basically saying we can’t pay one of our best players what he’s worth right now because we have to pay other players what they are worth right now. 

and these guys don’t think in terms of longer contract means probably underpaid by the end of it, because of how often contracts get reworked or extensions added. 

football contracts seem like messes anyway, with the guaranteed money being the only money that can be counted on. 

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Seeing as how the highest paid edge rusher in the league makes 28 a year now that would be a bad decision. 

micah will become the highest-paid edge rusher. 

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

SIAP did not realize this

fcd4e9067e1974a364e2385cd715d808.jpg

longest-tenured overrated loser. 

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

Seinfeld What GIF by HULU

He’s talking about the salary cap. Any idiot should be able to reason that out.

Of course he is..... and we're currently 20m under.  Don't be a simpleton.  If you're on the same side of the argument as futureman, then you'll always been on the wrong side of the argument.  Be better.  I'm sure it will all be taken care of but Jerrah doesn't need to open his fucking mouth, but he always does.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Of course he is..... and we're currently 20m under.  Don't be a simpleton.  If you're on the same side of the argument as futureman, then you'll always been on the wrong side of the argument.  Be better.  I'm sure it will all be taken care of but Jerrah doesn't need to open his fucking mouth, but he always does.

tell me you don't know how the salary cap works without telling me you don't know how the salary cap works.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You cannot be serious.

Unused cap $$ rolls over into the next season’s cap. That means that if Dallas makes it through the 2023 cap year without reducing that $19.xMM cap space, Dallas can use that $$ toward paying Parsons.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

As of today, for 2024 Dallas only has $9MM in cap space

Edited by lilMAC25

That 2024 number includes a $59.5m cap hit for Dak. ($61 dead cap if you cut him) He will get restructured. They should have redone Zack before this season.

I believe Micah will be the top paid defensive player in history, at least for a little while. If TJ Watt is on a 4 yr /$112m deal with $80 mill guaranteed, I expect 11 will get at least 4 yr/$120m/$90m guaranteed.

7 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

You cannot be serious.

Unused cap $$ rolls over into the next season’s cap. That means that if Dallas makes it through the 2023 cap year without reducing that $19.xMM cap space, Dallas can use that $$ toward paying Parsons.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

As of today, for 2024 Dallas only has $9MM in cap space

Okay, even if you believe they're trying to roll over cap space for a player, who will have 2 years left on his rookie deal and who's extension will almost surely be majority new and future money, not in 2024, and as stated they'll almost surely extend Dak who's number will become much more cap friendly along with either out right cutting DLaw or extending him for less cap hit.  Not only this, but competing teams don't generally rollover cap money more than 3m or so.  But even if you don't believe all that and the Cowboys are saving money for some sort of strange one year hit for a 4th year player, Jerrah certainly doesn't need to open his mouth and possibly alienate his 2nd best (arguably) player, which is the main point of which I was objecting to..... So if you want to live in fantasy land, let's fantasize together of Jerrah shutting the fuck up.

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Okay, even if you believe they're trying to roll over cap space for a player, who will have 2 years left on his rookie deal and who's extension will almost surely be majority new and future money, not in 2024, and as stated they'll almost surely extend Dak who's number will become much more cap friendly along with either out right cutting DLaw or extending him for less cap hit.  Not only this, but competing teams don't generally rollover cap money more than 3m or so.  But even if you don't believe all that and the Cowboys are saving money for some sort of strange one year hit for a 4th year player, Jerrah certainly doesn't need to open his mouth and possibly alienate his 2nd best (arguably) player, which is the main point of which I was objecting to..... So if you want to live in fantasy land, let's fantasize together of Jerrah shutting the fuck up.

I haven’t addressed Jerry opening his mouth.

I addressed the very stupid idea that “Jerry has enough money to pay player X whatever player X wants”.

That is puerile logic.

aside from that, there are multiple scenarios other than the single one I gave as to why they might not want to cut into the $19.X MM they have under the cap right now. 

Edited by lilMAC25

I mean, he does though. "But salary cap" i know, but that is one of the most hilarious tricks that the oligarchs have pulled over the normals that watch this sport, this idea that there just isn't enough money to go around while simultaneously jacking off to the fact that the NFL is the most popular American sport where profits do nothing but go up. You can't have it both ways.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I mean, he does though. "But salary cap" i know, but that is one of the most hilarious tricks that the oligarchs have pulled over the normals that watch this sport, this idea that there just isn't enough money to go around while simultaneously jacking off to the fact that the NFL is the most popular American sport where profits do nothing but go up. You can't have it both ways.

Players should have been better at collectively bargaining that a salary cap shouldn’t be a part of the league structure. I personally don’t like the salary cap.

However, let’s be honest, the player’s salaries (and, IIRC, percentage of profit) are also doing nothing but going up as well.

As it stands, there is a hard cap and teams have to operate within that cap or suffer real penalties (loss of draft picks and big fines).

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

Without a salary cap the league would quickly turn into more have/have not than the beauty of parity. Right now practically every team and their fans have a glimmer of hope their team can go worst to first with a few breaks. No cap and it’s going to be 6 teams running the thing.

The union has negotiated a strong NG contract. The rookie cap works for extending veteran journeymen players, who would be served better by having a singular minimum at three years tenure.

These aren’t coal miners in Appalachia. Team owners have a right to make profits from their business. The cap goes up every year and the players get their chunk of it. The NFLPA could take the approach of the owners and become the disperser of funds. Here’s your $7.1b; you decide how to split it up, or let each team do that. If you want to pay every player the same then go for it.

On 7/30/2023 at 3:37 AM, Hermanator said:

That doesn't look real, is it edited at all? I remember him being small at KSU but not that small. He looks like the photoshopped Kyler

Maybe its the camera angle? Because I agree, he's never looked that small at KSU.

Edited by 'stache

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

He costs them nothing to keep right now. He’s a camp body. There will be plenty of decent dudes available if needed. Can Rico and Malik step up to relieve Pollard.

Has Malik learned how to pick up the blitz during the offseason?

23 hours ago, 'stache said:

Maybe its the camera angle? Because I agree, he's never looked that small at KSU.

it's a combo of that extra helmet padding and that he is really fucking short.

RE: the Martin holdout.  Jerry (although he never does) should just shut his glory hole.  You think a player holding out wants to hear that you cannot pay him because you have to pay another player?  Is that logic going to make Zach think, 'OK, i'm cool with another player getting my money.  I guess i will head to camp now'?  FFS, Jerry.

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Generally if you can pick it up you can pick it up. If you can’t you won’t ever. It’s the reason most of the Maliks of the league stay Maliks. RB3 or 4. PS. Out.

But in Dallas he'll be able to carve out a nice 5 or 6 year career as a practice squad guy who gets called up for one or two games a season. This franchise loves 27 year old "prospects".

Nothing wrong with that at all. A team needs players that accept those roles and make good money for a few years, hopefully qualify for a pension, and maybe have a few plays to show the grandkids before coaching or whatever.

Some players can accept they are in the top 1% yet a bit short of being in the top 0.3%. Others cannot and have to move on.

Had a buddy who got his tour card back in the 80’s. He was about a quarter stroke a round avg short of making money on tour to pay his backers and support his family. A phenomenal ball striker. This was before all the sub tours where he could have made money. He quit and started a very successful business. Playing a round with him was a bit intimidating. He’d play like Tin Cup, hitting left handed, or on his knees, or like a baseball.

Dak is better than Goff, Tua, and probably tied with Herbert. For all the sucking off Herbert gets he's done absolutely nothing to elevate that team of underachievers. Tua cant stay on the field. Goff had 1 good year last year but can he repeat it?

The Super Bowl loser usually has a big regression year the next year. Now that they've paid Hurts big money and are having a lot of roster turnover and are up near the top in dead cap money I'm not sure they can repeat what they did last year. Hurts is another guy like Goff who had 1 really good season but now needs to prove he can repeat it with lesser talent around him. They lost 5 defensive starters including a guy with 11 sacks and the guy who led the NFL in interceptions last year and lost a couple of offensive linemen. Hurts is a QB who relies more heavily on running and having an elite OL than QBs like Rodgers, Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen. 

The NFC has never been weaker and more wide open in the last 40+ years. The NFC south and north look to be horrible divisions. 

• Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

it's a combo of that extra helmet padding and that he is really fucking short.

Watching that video it's absolutely astonishing that little dude, not Bijan or anyone else, led all of college football in rushing yards and yards per scrimmage from 2000 to 2002. At Kansas State. 

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

There isn’t a single GM outside of JJ that would take Dak over Herbert. That’s a ridiculous comment.

No because Herbert should be the better QB but as far as players right now there isn't much difference. They both put up good numbers and underachieve. Now he's only 3 seasons in so he should get better but when he's been needed in big games down the stretch to make the playoffs or last year down the stretch in the playoff game he's failed to deliver. Trevor Lawrence tore his ass up in the 2nd half of that playoff game while Herbert scored all of 3 points in a very Dak like performance against a defense not anywhere near as good as the one Dak lost to last year.

Until he shows he can handle the pressure of elevating his team to wins when it matters most he's really no better than Dak. They both have that problem right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

There isn’t a single GM outside of JJ that would take Dak over Herbert. That’s a ridiculous comment.

Disagree Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island

the browns are still the browns, the cardinals are pretty fuckin stupid, and up until recently the commanders were just as dumb haha. I agree with you though, Herbert has a way better chance of being better overall. 

16 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Dak is like a Romo clone,  

please.  Romo was at least talented.  fuck outta here with this stupid bullshit.

12 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Watching that video it's absolutely astonishing that little dude, not Bijan or anyone else, led all of college football in rushing yards and yards per scrimmage from 2000 to 2002. At Kansas State. 

2000-2002, eh?

• Hook 'Em 1

It's funny to see the Romo love now. Didn't ever see that when he was playing.

20 hours ago, Hermanator said:

No because Herbert should be the better QB but as far as players right now there isn't much difference. They both put up good numbers and underachieve. Now he's only 3 seasons in so he should get better but when he's been needed in big games down the stretch to make the playoffs or last year down the stretch in the playoff game he's failed to deliver. Trevor Lawrence tore his ass up in the 2nd half of that playoff game while Herbert scored all of 3 points in a very Dak like performance against a defense not anywhere near as good as the one Dak lost to last year.

Until he shows he can handle the pressure of elevating his team to wins when it matters most he's really no better than Dak. They both have that problem right now. 

If Dak did what Herbert did in that game he'd be dragged. Herbert is younger and still has time though.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

please.  Romo was at least talented.  fuck outta here with this stupid bullshit.

2000-2002, eh?

woody harrelson GIF

Show me on the doll where mean ole Dak touched you. Romo was a choke artist who put up good stats, Dak is also that. I don’t give a shit about their 40 time or shuttle or pretty spiral. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-has-mirrored-tony-romos-playoff-struggles-as-cowboys-seek-to-break-conference-title-game-drought/amp/

Edited by WinningIsHard
Furk