Tender Age Shelters

Hugo Stiglitz

DETROIT — A Marine veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder was held for three days for possible deportation before federal authorities learned that he was a U.S. citizen born in Michigan, lawyers said Wednesday.

Jilmar Ramos-Gomez, 27, lives in the Grand Rapids area. He was released on Dec. 17 from a detention center in Calhoun County after personal records were provided to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/ice-almost-deported-u-s-born-marine-veteran-says-aclu-n959516

• 2 weeks later...

I avoided this as long as I could stand.

I don't want to read the stories. I still did.

It's a black mark on our soul. This is what gets buried in the next generation's history. 

All they want is a life to live. A got dam job and three squares. 

El Norte. 32000 H2B is a drop in the bucket.

Babies. We are holding babies hostage. 

There ain't enough whiskey in Kentucky to drown this.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Don't forget Jeff Seesions. He played a founding role in this inhumane policy. 

Can't believe I forgot about him, just impossible to keep up with everyone who are ninth circle of hell level evil.

• 2 weeks later...
This is reason #1 why I will not vote Republican for the foreseeable future.   
Their silence in the face of this cruelty to children should stain them for generations. 

Well, when you realize that we’re the United States of Cruelty, it all makes sense.
Trump and the Trumpkins: creating a true “Shithole Country” right here at home.
This stain will never wash out. Nor should it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 10:39 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is reason #1 why I will not vote Republican for the foreseeable future.   

Their silence in the face of this cruelty to children should stain them for generations. 

Silence? They haven't been silent. They've cheered it on quite loudly.

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The US and state Governments imprisons parents for non payment of child support everyday. I see no crocodile tears for their children. 

When the US and state governments imprison the children for the crimes of their parents then get back to us. 

• Like 1

Who knew the federal government got involved in custody disputes, imprisoned deadbeat parents in the federal penitentiary, and then often imprisoned and/or lost their children to never see their parents again?  From the same Surly law school that teaches you that circumstantial evidence is inadmissible apparently.

• Like 2

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/After-cold-busy-month-at-border-illegal-13661974.php

Groups like this arrived again and again in February, one of the coldest and busiest months along the southern border in years. U.S. authorities detained more than 70,000 migrants last month, according to preliminary figures, up from 58,000 in January. The majority were Central American parents with children who arrived, again, in unprecedented numbers.

Across rural Guatemala, Martinez said, word has spread that those who travel with a child can expect to be released from U.S. custody. Smugglers were offering two-for-one pricing, knowing they just needed to deliver clients to the border - not across it - for an easy surrender to U.S. agents.

"If this continues, I don't think there will be anyone left in Guatemala," Martinez joked. The men from his village near the town of Chiquimula were all leaving, he said, bringing a child with them.

The problem, Homeland Security officials say, is that a growing portion of those who pass the initial screening never appear in court. They know asylum standards are tightening. Or, like Martinez, they have a prior deportation from the United States that all but disqualifies them from getting asylum.

Once released into the U.S. interior, some shed their monitoring bracelets and slip into the shadows to remain in the United States, a country where wages are 10 times higher than in Central America.

The saturation at the border means that it matters little whether a parent's story of persecution is sufficiently credible; the United States has just three detention facilities appropriate for families, with about 3,000 beds, and those are full. The pipeline backs up into Border Patrol stations that were never designed for long-term detention, let alone children, many of whom arrive sick after days in cramped quarters.

Is the status quo sustainable?

We need more transparency all the way around.  Real numbers, real costs help make real decisions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/After-cold-busy-month-at-border-illegal-13661974.php

Groups like this arrived again and again in February, one of the coldest and busiest months along the southern border in years. U.S. authorities detained more than 70,000 migrants last month, according to preliminary figures, up from 58,000 in January. The majority were Central American parents with children who arrived, again, in unprecedented numbers.

Across rural Guatemala, Martinez said, word has spread that those who travel with a child can expect to be released from U.S. custody. Smugglers were offering two-for-one pricing, knowing they just needed to deliver clients to the border - not across it - for an easy surrender to U.S. agents.

"If this continues, I don't think there will be anyone left in Guatemala," Martinez joked. The men from his village near the town of Chiquimula were all leaving, he said, bringing a child with them.

The problem, Homeland Security officials say, is that a growing portion of those who pass the initial screening never appear in court. They know asylum standards are tightening. Or, like Martinez, they have a prior deportation from the United States that all but disqualifies them from getting asylum.

Once released into the U.S. interior, some shed their monitoring bracelets and slip into the shadows to remain in the United States, a country where wages are 10 times higher than in Central America.

The saturation at the border means that it matters little whether a parent's story of persecution is sufficiently credible; the United States has just three detention facilities appropriate for families, with about 3,000 beds, and those are full. The pipeline backs up into Border Patrol stations that were never designed for long-term detention, let alone children, many of whom arrive sick after days in cramped quarters.

Is the status quo sustainable?

We need more transparency all the way around.  Real numbers, real costs help make real decisions.  

The southern border is a disaster and it’s only going to get worse, sigh. 

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

(SNIP)

(SNIP)

@hayden_horn, I believe you were a proponent of catch and release with the ankle monitoring bracelets(provided at no small expense by the US Government)?  Does it change your opinion to know that X amount are not honoring that privilege to be allowed in with the bracelet and are destructing it in the process?  Should they be refused asylum for not following the rules?