Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

Got Disu back. Get Hunter back for sure I hope. 
got the UVA transfer. Need to get Abmas. Holland is coming in. That’s pretty much our starting 5, right?  And it’s probably sweet 16 or better as far as quality goes?   
That makes the bench Brock and??? Seems like we probably need 3 more rotation players?  Who am I forgetting that’s coming back- anyone?  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Duke people were thinking he was a lock, nice

Just from scrolling 247 doesn't seem to be the case, when it was announced he was committing tonight their mods immediately said it wasn't them and the vibe seemed to be hoping that they'd aim higher

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Just from scrolling 247 doesn't seem to be the case, when it was announced he was committing tonight their mods immediately said it wasn't them and the vibe seemed to be hoping that they'd aim higher

Ah, was talking to a couple friends here in NC. Might be less terminally online.

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Very limited on available scholarships (2 i think?) and I assume he lost interest when Filipowski announced he was returning 

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Got Disu back. Get Hunter back for sure I hope. 
got the UVA transfer. Need to get Abmas. Holland is coming in. That’s pretty much our starting 5, right?  And it’s probably sweet 16 or better as far as quality goes?   
That makes the bench Brock and??? Seems like we probably need 3 more rotation players?  Who am I forgetting that’s coming back- anyone?  

Is Mitchell gone?

8 hours ago, Teryor said:

That sounds like sour gapes. 

The only big better than Shedrick that's available is Dickinson. My guess is he's going to Kansas or Kentucky based on whichever school gives him the biggest NIL deal. 

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Very limited on available scholarships (2 i think?) and I assume he lost interest when Filipowski announced he was returning 

Filipowski and Shedrick are completely different players. Also, will likely play different positions. 

The only big in the portal that's better than Shedrick is Dickinson and he isn't going to Duke. That's 100% sour grapes from the Duke mods. Shedrick was scheduled to visit Duke this week but what likely happened is Texas whipped out NIL funds and said "no more visits." 

My guess is they did the same thing with Abmas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IMHO The biggest get that Terry has booked so far is Disu. As I think his return does a couple things.  It shows other players that he believed that another year at Texas with Terry is his best chance of punching an NBA ticket. It also give Hunter another "return data point" on a teammate that probably had a similar NBA draft prediction outcome returning.  I think just like I thought for Disu, another year in development and raising his game would be better for Hunter. But who knows there?

Shedrick was a big get to be sure.  As the collective Longhorn nation was about to pass out from holding our collective breath hoping for some good news.  Get Holland on campus, get Abmas in the fold and have Hunter return?  You have a nice core group right there that could do well if they can all stay healthy.  One thing I think that Terry did down the stretch is he did cut some of the minutes for his starters when he could looking ahead to tournament time. But that also illustrates the need for a couple more key pieces, especially if Hunter does not return. Hunter's returning would cure a lot of ills.  

Anyhow have to like the way things are unfolding, despite the lack of positive info on the internet building to a level of near panic as the exodus list became the only news.  Like I said a few weeks back, hopefully we are are all grins and backslapping each other over next years roster when all the dust settles.   So far Terry looks like he is a piece or two away from having at least the pieces on paper to again have us watching BB later in March than we have become accustomed to!

• Hook 'Em 2

Disu is a big get because he's great in pick and roll which is what Abmas is also really good at. 

The biggest selling point for Abmas should be Disu. Just go put on film of Carr and Disu in pick and roll during the Big 12 and NCAA tournament. Abmas was able to get Oral Roberts to a Sweet 16 with a decent pick and roll big in Obanor. Disu is much better than Obanor. 

Abmas isn't going to find a better pick and roll pairing than Disu. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes. He entered draft for good with the thanks for all the fish finality of an announcement. 

I thought he still has the option of coming back if he doesn’t like the feedback he gets, though I doubt he will. 

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Everyone was freaking out about the portal but looked like Terry pushed all his chips in on one of the top 3 guards (Abmas) and one of the top 3 bigs (Shedrick). Looks like it's going to pay off instead of settling on some lower tier portal options. 

If Terry can land Abmas and get Hunter back then we have a very good top 6. He’ll still need to add at least a couple depth pieces, which is very doable. If he can pull all that off, then we could have a very strong roster next year and he’ll have the chance to stack back to back deep tournament runs and strengthen his resume to sell to future recruits and transfers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just a couple more and like Burt Macklin said- it helps bolster Terry's reputability going forward.  The only concern I had on Terry was could he sell when he was "the guy."  All signs pointed to this as a likelihood, but you never know and the Portal is a new X factor that makes things even more fluid.

Like I said a while back, the good news is we are going to get a quick report card on Terry.  Having an early exodus was/is especially scary, but if the recent rumors and press are true on Abmas then we have made great strides which also increases Terry's reputation.  Just a couple more pieces! Please, please, please!

4 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Any other transfer targets of note?

1 minute ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

Role players. 3 and D.  I don't have any names but I don't follow as close as some of y'all

We need another guard and probably a wing. This kid I mentioned the other day from UTA is one kid I know is on the radar. Athletic and a good 3 point shooter.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:50 PM, Lonestar88 said:

54 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

We need another guard and probably a wing. This kid I mentioned the other day from UTA is one kid I know is on the radar. Athletic and a good 3 point shooter.

Buddy who has connections at UTA says the kid is a stud and the coaching staff there is crushed and convinced he's a star at a bigger program.  FWIW.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Just look at who is after the UTA guard. The guy can obviously play based on who wants him. 

The issue is we now have to sell him on likely being the 3rd guard but 1) He's young so he can be the future and 2) "Come be the next Sir Jabari Rice" seems like a decent selling point. 

First guard off the bench getting 20-25 min?

Saw a tweet that said Weaver was 47% on corner threes this season. High school numbers are impressive too. He would be a perfect fit either as the third guard if they actually start three or in the sixth man Sir’Jabari role if they go with Abmas/Hunter/Holland/Disu/Shedrick.

Definitely good with three guards on the court at times, but that lineup w/ Holland at the 3 would be crazy with a bench of Weaver, Brock, Onyema, and a combo guard who would be good with around Arterio level minutes. If Anamekwe is ready then I’d love to see what he can do to help with additional depth. Not sure if Weaver can be a lead guard but if not, it feels like the last guy needs to be a third guy who can run the offense to take pressure off Abmas and Tyrese. I guess I wouldn’t be suprised to see Holland take the ball up though like Timmy did a bit this year.

Gerry seems to think the minutes are there for a really good player at guard even if Weaver/Onyema hop on board, and hinted that there are still some priority targets expected to hit the portal.

Love watching the team come together. Going to be an annual occurrence seemingly.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Recap on Abmas, plus prospects Texas is still recruiting.... Gerry and Bobby

Bobby kept calling Max "AB-mas" throughout, and, despite referring to his notes, repeatedly butchered Shedrick's name.  Finally he called him Shedrick Franklin ... lulz.

When John Travolta Called Idina Menzel "Adele Dazeem" | 12 Moments That Had  You Saying "WTF?" This Year | POPSUGAR Celebrity Photo 3

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Bobby kept calling Max "AB-mas" throughout, and, despite referring to his notes, repeatedly butchered Shedrick's name.  Finally he called him Shedrick Franklin ... lulz.

When John Travolta Called Idina Menzel "Adele Dazeem" | 12 Moments That Had  You Saying "WTF?" This Year | POPSUGAR Celebrity Photo 3

It's German! https://forum.orusports.com/index.php?/topic/12447-mystery-solved-a-possible-solution-for-the-unconventional-pronunciation-of-abmas/

Gerry seems to think we're in on some other guys that haven't entered yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

It's German! https://forum.orusports.com/index.php?/topic/12447-mystery-solved-a-possible-solution-for-the-unconventional-pronunciation-of-abmas/

Gerry seems to think we're in on some other guys that haven't entered yet. 

I figured out the “Aßmas” on my own two years ago, but then again I have traveled in Germany for about 6 total days over a 2 1/2 year period about two decades ago, so German is practically my third language. 

(Though if you add my time in German speaking Switzerland (24 hours), my time in Austria (at least 10 days), and I didn’t even mention two different train layovers in Köln for a few hours total over a 2 1/2 year period… my exposure to Deutsch (sp?) is really at the levels where I should be close to fluent. 

After you’ve seen one schloß, you start to get the idea that German likes curveballs.

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I figured out the “Aßmas” on my own two years ago, but then again I have traveled in Germany for about 6 total days over a 2 1/2 year period about two decades ago, so German is practically my third language. 

(Though if you add my time in German speaking Switzerland (24 hours), my time in Austria (at least 10 days), and I didn’t even mention two different train layovers in Köln for a few hours total over a 2 1/2 year period… my exposure to Deutsch (sp?) is really at the levels where I should be close to fluent. 

After you’ve seen one schloß, you start to get the idea that German likes curveballs.