Rodney Terry

HookEm

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Holy shit, we aren't paying $7M for a basketball coach. The only guy worth that much already makes $10M and had a heart attack today.

Not saying they will pay that but I think you underestimate the commitment they have to basketball.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, I just laugh at stupids who keep posting this, considering Texas last played in the S16 in 2009. 

and? you think cdc will just automatically hire a coach who he knows is not good enough to perform the job simply because, "haven't been to the S16 in a long time"? what has cdc ever done to make you think he has such low ambitions, or more, that he sucks at his job. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

if chris beard was arrested for felony assault not in december, but the day after Texas's last game of the season (i'm guessing that's somewhere between an elite 8 loss and a national championship win), how many people here, or on espn, or in the nation nominate rodney terry for the job? zero. the only time his name gets mentioned is when we wonder aloud if beard's replacement will keep rodney terry on staff as an assistant, or whether terry would be free to go coach at an HBCU or a mid major, or go be an assistant somewhere else. a lot of you need to get this basic fact through your heads.

CDC is not going to hire terry unless the PR hit would be too massive to overcome, aka choosing not to hire him after a very deep run and instead hiring someone totally unproven/uninspiring, which i just cannot see happening. im sure cdc has plenty of contacts who can help rodney terry- the sporting news's NCOY- find a soft landing spot. i don't see why UGA, or South Carolina, or a similar school wouldn't be excited to hire him. i'm sure RT will het an interview, and will be considered for the position, but barring CDC completely striking out on all more proven candidates, he is not going to just automatically hire rodney terry because we went to the sweet 16.

2 hours ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

DESTINATION JOB,  not good or great or top-echelon-the ultimate job in the profession. (OK, I’ll give you golf. 😉). 

To your credit, Georgetown Law is a premier authority in what does not constitute a destination law school.

2 hours ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

You don’t seem to grasp the concept of “destination” job. There aren’t “6-19” (?) better jobs. 3 or 4 maybe. 
As Texas fans we are often too myopic in our viewpoints and understanding of the sport and wider culture beyond our cloistered experience.  

Really digging deep into the thesaurus for this one.  Much like legal writing, shitposts should be in plain English.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

Much of what you say is true but it doesn’t make it the ultimate destination. Not saying it isn’t a great job, but the ultimate job, “destination” position it just isn’t.  At one point the football coaching job was, but no longer is.
You forgot a little thing called “tradition”. Texas has only a mediocre historical basketball history, no one outside of the Longhorn incubator, would ever think of it as such. 

People don't leave their destination job for another gig on their own. Name one football or basketball coach who left on their own for a better job.

Edited by UTEE97

9 hours ago, GeorgetownLaw said:

You don’t seem to grasp the concept of “destination” job. There aren’t “6-19” (?) better jobs. 3 or 4 maybe. 
As Texas fans we are often too myopic in our viewpoints and understanding of the sport and wider culture beyond our cloistered experience.  

Great recruiting base, facilities , city, and pay.  Less pressure than you would have at a blue blood. Several articles have it listed as a top ten job. 

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

our shot selection under terry has been markedly worse then it was under beard, and our shooting tonight is particularly horrific. it reminds me of shaka ball, with guys just throwing up one awful three after another, not even attempting to run offensive sets. this is a prime example of why/how we've regressed, and why Terry is not a serious candidate for this job as of today. 

Didn't Texas lead the Big XII in scoring as well as several other offensive catagories?

it's not about scoring average, or even numbers. it's about discipline, shot selection, and running the offense that beard had us practicing. under beard our offense looked crisp, well functioning, and offensive possessions often ended with our guys getting up shots that were essentially practice reps- mitchell gets the drive and dish for the two handed slam, timmy comes off the curl and takes a 15 footer from the elbow, carr takes a catch and shoot three from the wing after overloading the opposite side, etc.

under Terry, it looks like we roll the ball out there and say, "just don't turn it over- other than that do whatever you want." those practice reps are gone, the discipline is gone, anyone can shoot any shot at any time, and since terry has taken over we've seen more prolonged scoring droughts on offense than we did during beard's reign at the helm which lasted 3x longer than RT's current stint. don't look at some numbers, look at the screen. it's night and day. Beard's team would be a 7+ point favorite against rodney's team on a neutral floor, and it's all the exact same players.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

CDC is not going to hire terry unless the PR hit would be too massive to overcome, aka choosing not to hire him after a very deep run and instead hiring someone totally unproven/uninspiring, which i just cannot see happening.

I'm not sure a deep tournament run -- i.e., Final Four or at least Elite Eight -- would handcuff CDC.  But I agree that it's going to put an awful lot of artificial pressure on him to hire Terry.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that this Texas team will make it that far in the tournament (the last decade notwithstanding).  So, if we think Terry is the wrong choice in the long run (and I'm in that camp), are we in the awkward position of rooting for the Longhorns to get bounced in the first or second round?

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm not sure a deep tournament run -- i.e., Final Four or at least Elite Eight -- would handcuff CDC.  But I agree that it's going to put an awful lot of artificial pressure on him to hire Terry.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that this Texas team will make it that far in the tournament (the last decade notwithstanding).  So, if we think Terry is the wrong choice in the long run (and I'm in that camp), are we in the awkward position of rooting for the Longhorns to get bounced in the first or second round?

Fuck that. This is our best team in a long time, and our best chance at a deep run. We need to enjoy this while it’s here because regardless of the coach next year, we’re probably not going to be as good. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Fuck that. This is our best team in a long time, and our best chance at a deep run. We need to enjoy this while it’s here because regardless of the coach next year, we’re probably not going to be as good. 

I’ll root for us to go far and hope someone like Bennett says yes and he’s the guy 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Since Tech is also searching for a new basketball coach, what is it specifically about Rodney Terry that makes you not want him to be your head coach going forward?  Recruiting?  X's and O's?  A little of both?

His resume 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Since Tech is also searching for a new basketball coach, what is it specifically about Rodney Terry that makes you not want him to be your head coach going forward?  Recruiting?  X's and O's?  A little of both?

I think the predominate feeling is that we should be able to find someone who is a proven commodity in both coaching and recruiting. 
I haven’t encountered anyone who does not like RT it’s just that his head coaching record before this season is roughly .500 and it is not proven that he can recruit as the head coach. 
Speaking for myself, I just don’t believe that we should have any head coach who hasn’t proven themselves somewhere else before they are hired.  
Much like Coach Vic. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Nothing. This is the perfect solution for everyone. I love this plan. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’ll root for us to go far and hope someone like Bennett says yes and he’s the guy 

Sure.  But I was posing an either/or.  We make it so far in the tournament that CDC feels compelled to hire Terry.  Or we don't make it past the second round, and CDC looks to hire someone else. 

And I get that no matter who we hire, Terry or Calipari (lulz) next year is going to be rough.  But is an Elite Eight or Final Four appearance enough for you to accept Terry for another 3-4 years beyond that, or would you want to start the rebuilding next year with a coach who might be better long term?

Fair point, Hank.  I was just posing an interesting question I had in my head this morning.

I tend to think we'll be better off with someone other than Terry in the long run.  But when it comes down to it, I don't think my burnt orange instincts would have me rooting for the Longhorns to do anything other than win each round in the tournament.

16 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I think the predominate feeling is that we should be able to find someone who is a proven commodity in both coaching and recruiting. 
I haven’t encountered anyone who does not like RT it’s just that his head coaching record before this season is roughly .500 and it is not proven that he can recruit as the head coach. 
Speaking for myself, I just don’t believe that we should have any head coach who hasn’t proven themselves somewhere else before they are hired.  
Much like Coach Vic. 

Pretty sure his record since taking over this team is something like 17-5.

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Fair point, Hank.  I was just posing an interesting question I had in my head this morning.

I tend to think we'll be better off with someone other than Terry in the long run.  But when it comes down to it, I don't think my burnt orange instincts would have me rooting for the Longhorns to do anything other than win each round in the tournament.

I actually have a similar question. Would we rather win the Big12 tournament, or have a few extra days rest before the NCAA? I’ll be rooting for the win and there’s a shot at a 1 seed, but I’m not sure which is better

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sure.  But I was posing an either/or.  We make it so far in the tournament that CDC feels compelled to hire Terry.  Or we don't make it past the second round, and CDC looks to hire someone else. 

And I get that no matter who we hire, Terry or Calipari (lulz) next year is going to be rough.  But is an Elite Eight or Final Four appearance enough for you to accept Terry for another 3-4 years beyond that, or would you want to start the rebuilding next year with a coach who might be better long term?

Basketball as a sport is setup for programs that have advantages to bounce back pretty quickly. With consistent roster turnover, NIL, transfer portal, etc, a new coach in year 1 can build a talented roster from scratch and compete. That's not the case is football, where a couple of bad seasons can start a bad spiral.

So long answer to say, yes, if we get a final four this year (first in 20 years), I'll definitely take that for 3-4 years of Terry as head coach. If he doesn't perform up to standards, a new coach in 3-4 years has a chance to rebuild the roster and hit the gas from the start. 

Plus there is no "gotta get him now" coach out there. Every coach on our list won't be more unobtainable in 3-4 years. And there might even be more names that coach their way onto our wanted list.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I actually have a similar question. Would we rather win the Big12 tournament, or have a few extra days rest before the NCAA? I’ll be rooting for the win and there’s a shot at a 1 seed, but I’m not sure which is better

Feels like we need a few other things to go our way for a 1 seed, so I’d take the 2 and some rest 

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

our shot selection under terry has been markedly worse then it was under beard, and our shooting tonight is particularly horrific. it reminds me of shaka ball, with guys just throwing up one awful three after another, not even attempting to run offensive sets. this is a prime example of why/how we've regressed, and why Terry is not a serious candidate for this job as of today. 

We're 18th in adjusted offense and 11th in adjusted defense. The only teams that beat us in both categories are Houston and Connecticut.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

it's not about scoring average, or even numbers. it's about discipline, shot selection, and running the offense that beard had us practicing. under beard our offense looked crisp, well functioning, and offensive possessions often ended with our guys getting up shots that were essentially practice reps- mitchell gets the drive and dish for the two handed slam, timmy comes off the curl and takes a 15 footer from the elbow, carr takes a catch and shoot three from the wing after overloading the opposite side, etc.

under Terry, it looks like we roll the ball out there and say, "just don't turn it over- other than that do whatever you want." those practice reps are gone, the discipline is gone, anyone can shoot any shot at any time, and since terry has taken over we've seen more prolonged scoring droughts on offense than we did during beard's reign at the helm which lasted 3x longer than RT's current stint. don't look at some numbers, look at the screen. it's night and day. Beard's team would be a 7+ point favorite against rodney's team on a neutral floor, and it's all the exact same players.

So it's not about any objective metrics? It's just about your subjective opinion?

Because I guarantee if Beard was still the coach and someone made a negative subjective comment about him you would immediately bury them with 5 paragraphs full of advanced statistics

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I go back and forth on this question all the time. I've seen teams ride a conference tournament win to NCAA tournament success (WVU in 2010) and also shit the bed immediately after winning the conference tournament (Texas in 2021).

I'd love to see some statistical analysis on this question. It's a true toss up in my mind at the moment.

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I go back and forth on this question all the time. I've seen teams ride a conference tournament win to NCAA tournament success (WVU in 2010) and also shit the bed immediately after winning the conference tournament (Texas in 2021).

I'd love to see some statistical analysis on this question. It's a true toss up in my mind at the moment.

The year we went to the Final Four, I think we lost to Tech in the first round of the Big 12 tourney by about 30 points. 

I don't think we'll get a 1 seed even if we win the tournament, and a 2 is already locked up. Allen is out and Carr played 39 minutes last night. I'm not saying I want us to lose tonight, but....

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

Well since we've gone to true round robin - (Big 12 only)

2013 KU - Sweet 16 loss
2014 ISU - Sweet 16 loss
2015 ISU - first round loss
2016 KU - Elite 8 loss
2017 ISU - second round loss
2018 KU - Final Four loss
2019 ISU - first round loss
2021 Texas - first round loss
2022 KU - NCAA champs

Winning doesn't seem to give anyone a huge advantage - 2022 KU was already an elite team - and 3 times the Big 12 tournament champ shit the bed and lost in the first round (2x ISU and Texas). 

I'd probably prefer the rest, honestly. 

But damn, we have only been a 1 seed once in our history, it's so tempting to want to do it again.  This should be our third 2 seed in history. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, MotownHorn said:

I hear you guys. I'm fundamentally incapable of rooting for Texas to lose but the conference tournament is the one time I don't really care if they lose.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to matter.  Drew doesn't put a lot of stock into it and neither did Beard when he was at Tech.  KU's teams are just too good, they can half-ass it and win 1, 2 or even the whole thing without even trying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

We're 18th in adjusted offense and 11th in adjusted defense. The only teams that beat us in both categories are Houston and Connecticut.

we've got a talented, experienced roster that's been considered a legit national title contender since we ran gonzaga out of the building last november. we should be good, and it's no huge surprise that this senior led, super close, super experienced group of players are still playing fairly well. but to paraphrase jj redick here, im sorry, but if you can't see that the product on the court under terry is clearly inferior to what it was under beard then you're just a casual who doesn't understand what you're watching. it's not even up for debate. the discipline, the shot selection, the sharpness, the defensive intensity, the three point defense, the long stretches without scoring, and on and on and on. it's really not close, and it's impossible not to see if you understand what you're watching.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

If we beat Kansas in the championship game I don’t know how they could keep us out of the 1 seed, but I think rest may be more valuable.

12 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I hear you guys. I'm fundamentally incapable of rooting for Texas to lose but the conference tournament is the one time I don't really care if they lose.

This is where I’m at 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

So it's not about any objective metrics? It's just about your subjective opinion?

Because I guarantee if Beard was still the coach and someone made a negative subjective comment about him you would immediately bury them with 5 paragraphs full of advanced statistics

lololol. okie dokie. so now we're just making up wild hypotheticals and drawing conclusions to said hypotheticals based on our own butthurt feelings, and not anything that's actually real or substantive. great stuff.

again, if you can't see the difference in this team under terry vs under beard then you just don't have a clue what you're watching.