Rodney Terry

HookEm

i'll go further than jj redick: you have to be an absolute moron who truly doesn't even grasp the simple, obvious fact that some coaches are better than others if you think it's even possible for rodney terry to coach as well as chris beard. i swear to god, this argumentative pro Terry crowd just cracks me up. like, if all coaches are just interchangeable, then why did the team perform one way for six straight years under shaka, and then overnight perform in a completely different way under chris beard? why has unc been worse under hubert davis than under roy? why has duke been worse under scheyer than they were under coach k? face it: you want us to hire RT because you literally don't even understand what it is that a coach does or how important they are to the team's success.

if a star player gets hurt and then the team gets worse, well then you guys are right on top of that. Player X got hurt and then the team got worse. pretty obvious, huh? but when the program suddenly loses a top 5 national coach, a guy who assembled this roster to his own personal coaching style, a guy who works 80-90 hour weeks running this entire program from top to bottom, when that happens, you guys just all go, "hey, no big deal, we'll just plug in the next coach on the bench and nothing will change. all coaches are the same! yeah! that makes sense! that's the ticket!" 

straight the fuck up for the rodney terry crowd: he's a wildly inferior coach to chris beard, he's inarguably an inferior coach to shaka smart, this team has *clearly* regressed since he took over (did anybody even watch the game last night?), and if you can't see that and/or you want him to be our next coach then i'm going to send tommy back there to beat you over the head with a tack hammer because you are a retard. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

You read the part where I said before this season?

I think we can put the surly posters on this board in two groups.

One is impressed by RT's record this year and wants to give him the job. They brush aside his historical performance and would argue that past performance matter less because he has taken Texas to better results than in recent past and they hypothesize that perhaps even Beard couldn't have done so well with this team (lol). They ignore the fact that CDC was brought in not just to try to exceed the results of our recent past. He has a mission to turn every program into a perennial top 10.

The second group will not be convinced by whatever RT does this year because they don't like his overall career record and how this veteran team has trended since Beard left. This group doesn't feel he can lead us to become a perennial top 10 program, but many in this group feel like he probably will force CDC's hands if he made a deep run in the NCAA tourney.

Given that neither of these camps is willing to change their mind, why do we keep rehashing the same things over and over again?

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Given that neither of this group is willing to change their mind, why do we keep rehashing the same things over and over again?

for me, here's why:

that's how i feel every time i see someone pop in here and say anything that has anything to do with Texas hiring Rodney Terry as it's next head coach. it's so unbelievably asinine that i just can't get over it, and i'm at the point where i'm ready to make a scene about it. i've gone full Brodie Man. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we've got a talented, experienced roster that's been considered a legit national title contender since we ran gonzaga out of the building last november. we should be good, and it's no huge surprise that this senior led, super close, super experienced group of players are still playing fairly well. but to paraphrase jj redick here, im sorry, but if you can't see that the product on the court under terry is clearly inferior to what it was under beard then you're just a casual who doesn't understand what you're watching. it's not even up for debate. the discipline, the shot selection, the sharpness, the defensive intensity, the three point defense, the long stretches without scoring, and on and on and on. it's really not close, and it's impossible not to see if you understand what you're watching.

I agree with this. The difference has been noticeable.  I’m just not sure who we have a shot at. If there’s not a slam dunk hire, I’d probably just keep Terry. It’s like you said, in CDC we trust 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I agree with this. The difference has been noticeable.  I’m just not sure who we have a shot at. If there’s not a slam dunk hire, I’d probably just keep Terry. It’s like you said, in CDC we trust 

I doubt CDC will settle for a meh hire instead of giving RT a shot if Texas reaches Sweet 16 or better. That's really not his style.

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

im sorry, but if you can't see that the product on the court under terry is clearly inferior to what it was under beard then you're just a casual who doesn't understand what you're watching. it's not even up for debate. the discipline, the shot selection, the sharpness, the defensive intensity, the three point defense, the long stretches without scoring, and on and on and on. it's really not close, and it's impossible not to see if you understand what you're watching.

I'm going to try to put this politely...

"I'm the person who knows the most about what I'm watching and you're just a dumb casual fan!" is one of the weakest, most arrogant arguments I've ever encountered. It's not even worth responding to. It's arrogant subjective self-important bullshit

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lololol. okie dokie. so now we're just making up wild hypotheticals and drawing conclusions to said hypotheticals based on our own butthurt feelings, and not anything that's actually real or substantive. great stuff.

Bro. You lack any bit of self-awareness if you think the idea of you writing a rambling 5 paragraph response is a "wild hypothetical"

It's your regular behavior.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'll go further than jj redick: you have to be an absolute moron who truly doesn't even grasp the simple, obvious fact that some coaches are better than others if you think it's even possible for rodney terry to coach as well as chris beard. i swear to god, this argumentative pro Terry crowd just cracks me up. like, if all coaches are just interchangeable, then why did the team perform one way for six straight years under shaka, and then overnight perform in a completely different way under chris beard? why has unc been worse under hubert davis than under roy? why has duke been worse under scheyer than they were under coach k? face it: you want us to hire RT because you literally don't even understand what it is that a coach does or how important they are to the team's success.

if a star player gets hurt and then the team gets worse, well then you guys are right on top of that. Player X got hurt and then the team got worse. pretty obvious, huh? but when the program suddenly loses a top 5 national coach, a guy who assembled this roster to his own personal coaching style, a guy who works 80-90 hour weeks running this entire program from top to bottom, when that happens, you guys just all go, "hey, no big deal, we'll just plug in the next coach on the bench and nothing will change. all coaches are the same! yeah! that makes sense! that's the ticket!" 

straight the fuck up for the rodney terry crowd: he's a wildly inferior coach to chris beard, he's inarguably an inferior coach to shaka smart, this team has *clearly* regressed since he took over (did anybody even watch the game last night?), and if you can't see that and/or you want him to be our next coach then i'm going to send tommy back there to beat you over the head with a tack hammer because you are a retard. 

LOL I hadn't even gotten here when I responded that 5 paragraph rants were your usual behavior.

I've been bending over backwards to be kind to you since you shared that you were struggling with your health. I'm not trying to pile on when a guy is struggling. That said, the constantly calling anyone who disagrees with you a "moron" because they dare disagree with the Great Derka Derka makes it very hard to be kind to you.

Please chill the fuck out and treat others the way you'd like to be treated.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm gonna contribute to the Groundhog Day theme of the thread:

Rodney Terry has been hired as the head coach of two programs, those being Fresno State and UTEP.  His record at those two powerhouses:

Fresno State:  126-108 (0.538)

UTEP:  37-48 (0.435)

Total:  163-156 (0.511)

Unless someone can convince me that both Fresno State and UTEP lacked advantages that other WAC, Mountain West or Conference USA teams had, I'm quite comfortable with the conclusion that he is not a stellar program builder.  I mean, if we're looking for objective data, there it is.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

He’s a semi finalist for the Naismith. I know all of the reasons for moving on from him so no need to rehash those. But if he wins 2 national coach of the year awards, how can they fire the guy? The talking heads would be shitting all over us

My answer:  who gives a shit?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

He’s a semi finalist for the Naismith. I know all of the reasons for moving on from him so no need to rehash those. But if he wins 2 national coach of the year awards, how can they fire the guy? The talking heads would be shitting all over us

He is not being "fired" from the job he never had. He is the interim HC. Second, Mark Adams won a national coach of the year and AP Big 12 coach of the year award last year. How did that work out for them?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm gonna contribute to the Groundhog Day theme of the thread:

Rodney Terry has been hired as the head coach of two programs, those being Fresno State and UTEP.  His record at those two powerhouses:

Fresno State:  126-108 (0.538)

UTEP:  37-48 (0.435)

Total:  163-156 (0.511)

Unless someone can convince me that both Fresno State and UTEP lacked advantages that other WAC, Mountain West or Conference USA teams had, I'm quite comfortable with the conclusion that he is not a stellar program builder.  I mean, if we're looking for objective data, there it is.

To keep the Groundhog Day going, looking at the overall records hides the inarguable fact that he made both programs better in his time there.

Fresno State was 14-17 the year before he came. Within a couple years he had them pretty consistently winning 20+ games a year. UTEP was 11-20 the year before he came. He had them above .500 after one year.

The "Rodney Terry can't build a program" argument overlooks the fact that he turned two programs around. Two programs with much fewer resources than the University of Texas at Austin.

Head coaching record[edit]

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Fresno State Bulldogs (Western Athletic Conference) (2011–2012)
2011–12 Fresno State 13–20 3–11 7th  
Fresno State Bulldogs (Mountain West Conference) (2012–2018)
2012–13 Fresno State 11–19 5–11 6th  
2013–14 Fresno State 21–18 9–9 T–5th CBI Runner-up
2014–15 Fresno State 15–17 10–8 6th  
2015–16 Fresno State 25–10 13–5 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2016–17 Fresno State 20–13 11–7 4th NIT first round
2017–18 Fresno State 21–11 11–7 T–4th  
Fresno State: 126–108 (.538) 62–58 (.517)  
UTEP Miners (Conference USA) (2018–2021)
2018–19 UTEP 8–21 3–15 14th  
2019–20 UTEP 17–15 8–10 11th  
2020–21 UTEP 12–12 8–8 5th (West)  
UTEP: 37–48 (.435) 19–33 (.365)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Given that neither of this group is willing to change their mind, why do we keep rehashing the same things over and over again?

You new here? This is what we do, my man! :)

Now let me tell you what I think about Rick Barnes...

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

To clarify, Coach of the Year means Coach of This Year.

People recognize that given the hand he was dealt (which includes a top-heavy experienced and deep team), Rodney Terry did a hell of a job this year, and if they want to give him a trophy for it, I’m not going to argue with that.

But that’s just a recognition for his accomplishment this year, and it’s not a substitute for the entirety of a coaching resume. And that alone does not put pressure on CDC to hire Terry for the permanent gig. A deep run in the tournament is a whole different conversation.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Two programs with much fewer resources than the University of Texas at Austin.

Oh for pity's sake.  Fresno State and UTEP weren't competing in the Big 12.  You have to assess their performance relative to their peers, and in that light, RT is completely average.  I mean, almost perfectly average.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

since shaka resigned this forum has had a ton of discussion as to whom should be the next HC at Texas, first discussing who would replace shaka, and now discussing who will replace beard. during that entire time, every single college coach that's been suggested as a replacement has been a head coach- except for one. why is that? what is so special about this one assistant coach that his name gets so much serious consideration around here? is he considered to be the top assistant in the nation? did he previously lead a different major program to sustained success, winning conference titles and making deep tourney runs? was he an nba coach before? has he been a serious candidate for other top flight coaching jobs and turned them down? is he a 35 year old wunderkind currently experiencing a meteoric rise through the ranks? what's that? he's literally just the guy who sits next to chris beard? he doesn't actually have any of the requisite qualifications to be seriously considered for this job, but he sits next to beard so let's just pick him? 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7qwaqv3eguewhstcf9d

• Rage+1 1

rodney terry had a team that shot under 40% from 2-point range for an entire season. 

rodney terry's average AdjO ranking over his 10 year head coaching career: 186.2 

but hey maybe he's gotten like wewaaaaayyyyyyy better over the last couple of months. if only there were a way for us to see what the texas offense looked like before he took over as HC and then after he took over as HC. maybe THEN we could see if RT has suddenly morphed into an elite tier coach. 🤔 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

since shaka resigned this forum has had a ton of discussion as to whom should be the next HC at Texas, first discussing who would replace shaka, and now discussing who will replace beard. during that entire time, every single college coach that's been suggested as a replacement has been a head coach- except for one. why is that? what is so special about this one assistant coach that his name gets so much serious consideration around here? is he considered to be the top assistant in the nation? did he previously lead a different major program to sustained success, winning conference titles and making deep tourney runs? was he an nba coach before? has he been a serious candidate for other top flight coaching jobs and turned them down? is he a 35 year old wunderkind currently experiencing a meteoric rise through the ranks? what's that? he's literally just the guy who sits next to chris beard? he doesn't actually have any of the requisite qualifications to be seriously considered for this job, but he sits next to beard so let's just pick him? 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7qwaqv3eguewhstcf9d

“Wild hypotheticals” 😂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm not sure a deep tournament run -- i.e., Final Four or at least Elite Eight -- would handcuff CDC.  But I agree that it's going to put an awful lot of artificial pressure on him to hire Terry.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that this Texas team will make it that far in the tournament (the last decade notwithstanding).  So, if we think Terry is the wrong choice in the long run (and I'm in that camp), are we in the awkward position of rooting for the Longhorns to get bounced in the first or second round?

I will gladly take an elite eight or final four appearance and risk a long Terry tenure. A bird in hand and all that.

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I will gladly take an elite eight or final four appearance and risk a long Terry tenure. A bird in hand and all that.

over which other coaches? over grant mccasland or jerome tang? yeah, sure. over tony bennett or mick cronin? no way. not for an elite 8. for a final four, hell yeah, bring on RT. but no, one elite 8 run is not worth giving up on hiring a great coach long term. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Bird is already in hand regardless of whether we hire him as the long-term coach or not. Hiring him next year has no impact on this season, so I am not sure this argument makes any sense. 

Edited by UTEE97

just went and did a little research on RT'a final season at UTEP in 2021. in his third year coaching at utep RT's miners finished 8th in conference usa, and the stats were not pretty.

EDC84456-3109-4040-81B2-E757CF2C4A8F.thumb.jpeg.02f93efc203abdf9a835b71b0457d669.jpeg

8FEDDA17-85A9-443D-9C1C-1028F686B753.thumb.jpeg.4581882a5139837f4821a5c83830ebbe.jpeg

whole lotta coaches who did better than RT. so, if you want RT, why don't you consider all of those other coaches as desirable candidates? why don't we hire eric konkol?

8E63E39D-C792-44A2-A641-47FFDADAC79B.thumb.jpeg.4dd082c50d656693b77189673a9f0d53.jpeg

why not andy kennedy?

77EB1D87-A2A1-409C-8B74-8D7612CD7017.thumb.jpeg.969e2902819737a931937aedf315de37.jpeg

if you think RT is the man for the job then you must be over the moon at the prospect of hiring grant mcasland and the worlds slowest offense:

F331A406-8891-48A0-8433-42C5C24A2C2F.thumb.jpeg.9e7b8e6f30d5d10a4c45a262ce6222d1.jpeg

or hey, we could hire rick stansbury:

02E05738-93AC-490B-B87D-689A1BE9BC59.thumb.jpeg.1a2645fc329e63aef849f8667d762329.jpeg

certainly these guys must all be at or near the top of CDC's list, since rodney terry, who's arguably not as good of a head coach than any of these guys (certainly not when comparing resumes) is such a great choice to be our next HC. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Pshaw. Look at the Astros winning it all and moving on from their GM. Embrace the hate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

what's that? he's literally just the guy who sits next to chris beard? he doesn't actually have any of the requisite qualifications to be seriously considered for this job, but he sits next to beard so let's just pick him? 

Perhaps he was sitting next to Chris Beard for a reason?

Your perspective seems to be that Chris Beard is a basketball genius and God except for he just picked some dumb chump to be his right hand man and associate head coach

Its really not a very logical take. You may see that if you were able to separate your emotions from the topic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sweet 16 is iffy. But to me if he makes the elite 8 then you hire him. We’ve advanced that far 4 times in the past 73 seasons. That’s a big enough accomplishment here that it doesn’t really matter how the next 3-4 years play out. 

So, you let him get the job based on being handed the keys to a sports car and not crashing it AND benefitting by comparison to our last, failed HC hire?

fuck-that-nah.gif

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Perhaps he was sitting next to Chris Beard for a reason?

Your perspective seems to be that Chris Beard is a basketball genius and God except for he just picked some dumb chump to be his right hand man and associate head coach

Its really not a very logical take. You may see that if you were able to separate your emotions from the topic.

Those are two different jobs. Every sport has numerous examples of excellent assistants who were mediocrities (or worse) as head coaches. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My answer:  who gives a shit?

The coaches you might try to hire. Shit, if I win COY I could still get fired. Not many coaches worth a shit are going to listen to the Texas pitch, other than to use it to get a raise at their current school.

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, you let him get the job based on being handed the keys to a sports car and not crashing it AND benefitting by comparison to our last, failed HC hire?

fuck-that-nah.gif

Nah, it's more like you are handing the keys, to the guy that rebuilt the engine of the sports car, and him not crashing it.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The coaches you might try to hire. Shit, if I win COY I could still get fired. Not many coaches worth a shit are going to listen to the Texas pitch, other than to use it to get a raise at their current school.

You can win a World Series and be pushed out as GM too, as you should know. Didn’t seem to deter good candidates for that job.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't get all the pro/con RT talk if they don't involve another candidate in comparison.  What RT has done matters only when comparing against another candidate.

And only CDC knows who those candidates are 

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

You can win a World Series and be pushed out as GM too, as you should know. Didn’t seem to deter good candidates for that job.

CDC should fire himself if Texas wins the title? Is that what you are suggesting? Because that is the more apt comparison.

35 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Those are two different jobs. Every sport has numerous examples of excellent assistants who were mediocrities (or worse) as head coaches. 

exactly. name all of the times historically where an elite coach was replaced by an assistant and the assistant ended up being awesome himself. it ain't a long list. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

That's hilarious.  Do you think the average high-D1 coach wouldn't understand why RT wasn't retained as head coach?  Seriously?  Do you think these guys work in a complete vacuum, with no understanding of his career trajectory or the circumstances of how he was hired?  We are talking about some of the most competitive, vain animals on the planet.

RT winning one or more feel-good awards awarded by media idiots means absolutely nothing.

• Like 1