NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

I would never say a guy shouldn't get that kind of money, like Hurts, or anyone who is able to get that much. I do think it's crazy. I never say, "a guy is not worth it", because if someone is dumb enough to pay it a player would be a fool not to accept it. 

It will be very interesting now to see what the next step will be for the Ravens because that MVP season in 2019 seems so long ago.

I know there have been many issues with the Ravens but, they are 15-9 in the last 24 games Jackson has started.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
6 hours ago, cmontexas said:
I like how the Eagles seemingly have endless cap space and money

Their front office is light years ahead of Dallas. They actually have a vision and stick to it

They're gonna regret the fuck out of that contract at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess if you consider another QB getting the biggest contract in NFL history bad news, then OK

It’s not fully guaranteed, which has been Lamar’s primary sticking point. It’s 70% guaranteed which is in the standard range these days. Lamar was offered a contract that put him at the top in a couple categories and he rejected because it wasn’t fully guaranteed. Now the nfc champ QB has gotten huge fucking money even if he only makes the guarantee.

Hurts will likely get two more contracts if he stays healthy. Holy shit.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not for the next 4 seasons. They are all in right now. Which is smart in this sport. Build your team in a short window. This isn't baseball where you have a decade long plan. 694d3236cc2f4ea958bf6781392b0507.jpg

That's fair. But the Cardinals and Rams went all in for the short term and now have the worst rosters in the league.

Eagles didn't really have an option though. Every QB contract is nuts now. No one can avoid it.

If you carry the big money QB then it means you’re limited everywhere else. You can’t afford the AJ Browns and a pro bowl o line. You have to have a strong draft every year and find the udfas. The secret sauce for a while has been cheap Qb on rookie deal surrounded by top talent. The problem is no team can walk away from QBs so they sign them and cut the players that made them successful. Eagles have been better than most because they have been able to trade good players and make extra picks. That town should bow to Carson Wentz for that deal with Indy.

The Eagles gave franchise QB money to Carson Wentz after 2017 and he completely imploded shortly thereafter. Despite that, they were able to rebuild the roster and make it to the Super Bowl in 2022 and give Wentz’s replacement the largest deal ever. 

Howie Roseman may be a sneaky little shit, but the guy may be the best in the league at managing the salary cap. 

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

The Eagles gave franchise QB money to Carson Wentz after 2017 and he completely imploded shortly thereafter. Despite that, they were able to rebuild the roster and make it to the Super Bowl in 2022 and give Wentz’s replacement the largest deal ever. 

Howie Roseman may be a sneaky little shit, but the guy may be the best in the league at managing the salary cap. 

I think the circumstances of Hurts vs Wentz are completely different and that's not a good comparison.

16 hours ago, fellside said:

That's fair. But the Cardinals and Rams went all in for the short term and now have the worst rosters in the league.

Eagles didn't really have an option though. Every QB contract is nuts now. No one can avoid it.

At least the Rams won it all, though. So it absolutely paid off for them. As a Dallas fan, I'd love to go all in, win it all and then who the fuck cares about the next years. It's hard to build a long term roster in the NFL that will produce success. You have to be able to balance the short term windows and trying to have some sort of long term vision but it definitely needs to be weighted towards the shorter window. I can't fault a team for going all out even if it doesn't work out. Dallas does the opposite and just tries to tread water through the years. Which is why they never do shit except win a wild card game every 4-5 years. Eagles and Rams have both played the free agency game perfectly and benefited from it with Super Bowl rings and each another appearance. Both have also went to the Super Bowl with a different QB in the last years. Played the trade game great and got some good talent to surround their QBs. Eagles looked pretty meh a few years ago when Tampa smashed them in the wild card round. They went out and traded for a great WR in AJ Brown. Drafted Davante Smith. Got some good defensive pieces. Transformed them instantly. Not to mention trading Wentz to Indy. Also have the Saints pick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Former NFL defensive end Chris Smith has died, the Cleveland Browns and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, announced Tuesday. Smith was 31.

Smith was a member of the XFL's Seattle Sea Dragons this season.

The cause of death was not disclosed. 

"Chris was one of the kindest people, teammates and friends we've had in the organization," the Browns said in their statement.

Browns tight end David Njoku tweeted, "Hometown hero and a brother to everyone. Such a kind soul. This is Heartbreaking."

Smith spent eight seasons in the league, also playing for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cincinnati Bengals, Las Vegas Raiders and Houston Texans. He finished with 11 career sacks.

Smith started two games with the Browns during the 2018 season. During the 2019 season, Smith's girlfriend was struck and killed by a driver in a traffic accident. She was a passenger in Smith's car and exited the vehicle after it had a tire malfunction and hit the median. The two had just had a daughter together.

Smith made a comeback and returned to the NFL in 2020, playing eight games with the Raiders. 

Good chance it was suicide. Now the daughter has no parents. 

On 4/18/2023 at 7:22 AM, Duane Moore said:

From scouting to cap management, free agency, and creative schemes on both sides of the ball, the Eagles are the best-run franchise in the NFL….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm reading that Niners are listening to offers on Trey Lance. No idea what they can get for him

FWIW, I read an article in the Athletic a month or so ago where ‘anonymous NFL GMs’ speculated he could be had for a 3rd rounder this year and some shake next year. The Niners have zero leverage in a trade for him…

From scouting to cap management, free agency, and creative schemes on both sides of the ball, the Eagles are the best-run franchise in the NFL….

We’ll see how he manages living with the Jalen Hurts contract. It wasn’t that long ago Howie got shitcanned as the GM. He’s done well but he’s also made some big blunders.

18 hours ago, Ignatius said:

FWIW, I read an article in the Athletic a month or so ago where ‘anonymous NFL GMs’ speculated he could be had for a 3rd rounder this year and some shake next year. The Niners have zero leverage in a trade for him…

I can't remember what SF gave up to get him in the draft. I believed they gave up future draft capital to move up to get him. He played in a handful of games last year but didn't look that great at all. Had a pretty bad injury. I am guessing they saw enough to want to move on from him and have Purdy as their starter? Seems very quick to give up on a guy like that but they see him everyday in practice. I know it's better to give up on someone earlier to get more based on their potential than wait and the whole league knows he is damaged goods and you get pennies on the dollar.

We have all, justifiably, given AB some shit over the years.
I think he had Hall of Fame talent and squandered that but, the stupidity shown by the security guy is off the chart.
Also, I wasn't sure where to put this but since AB is former NFLer I put it here.

Fuck AB. He supposedly owns 95% of the team. His father played for the Albany Firebirds arena team in the 90’s. He will fuck this up like he has everything else he has touched. Fucking woman beater.
  • Hook 'Em 1

337286054_1508573123306039_8583519241056310223_n.png?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=pAIlMqDXAkIAX_E_Vy6&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AfCaobmsamzshAwOswBva8qLVy5b4UJaZVXfttGLOUcong&oe=64438738

Ravens home games were a party and, though being in the heart of a booze-centric town certainly plays a role, the tailgating is also prolific. Stumble South after the game and you run right into the Horseshoe and TopGolf, go East and you hit the college bars in Federal Hill, North you’ll hit strip clubs and the hotels… go West and you could end up dead, but 3/4 of your options lead to additional drinking opportunities within 1/4 mile.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Ravens home games were a party and, though being in the heart of a booze-centric town certainly plays a role, the tailgating is also prolific. Stumble South after the game and you run right into the Horseshoe and TopGolf, go East and you hit the college bars in Federal Hill, North you’ll hit strip clubs and the hotels… go West and you could end up dead, but 3/4 of your options lead to additional drinking opportunities within 1/4 mile.

No Texas teams, shame.

Fuck AB. He supposedly owns 95% of the team. His father played for the Albany Firebirds arena team in the 90’s. He will fuck this up like he has everything else he has touched. Fucking woman beater.

A Miami judge issued a warrant for AB’s arrest today for child support in arrears. Judge said he could pay $30k to get out. What a lowlife.

3 hours ago, Juicy said:

Great Job Jameson. although apparently he placed bets on the NBA from the team hotel which would have been allowed if he was on the sidewalk, but since he was in the hotel 6 games. 

He was apparently at the team practice facility….

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Why would tenn trade him?

They are likely going to tank as soon as they get a couple losses. Henry’s already mad to be playing on his 5th year option salary and wants an extension. If they get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him, it’s probably a win for 2024 and forward. 

They are likely going to tank as soon as they get a couple losses. Henry’s already mad to be playing on his 5th year option salary and wants an extension. If they get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him, it’s probably a win for 2024 and forward. 

Huh? He’s in the last big year of his $51m 2nd contract with a 2023 cap hit of $16.5 mil. That’s a lot for a soon to be 30 year old RB with 2100 touches that’s taken a lot of punishment. The nfl walls are 27 yo, and 1500 touches.

Titans need to unload him for what they can get as he’s still productive unlike zeke. I don’t want him with the eagles but I’d rather have him smashing us with Hurts for a year or two vs 7 or 8 with Bijan.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Huh? He’s in the last big year of his $51m 2nd contract with a 2023 cap hit of $16.5 mil. That’s a lot for a soon to be 30 year old RB with 2100 touches that’s taken a lot of punishment. The nfl walls are 27 yo, and 1500 touches.

Titans need to unload him for what they can get as he’s still productive unlike zeke. I don’t want him with the eagles but I’d rather have him smashing us with Hurts for a year or two vs 7 or 8 with Bijan.

You’re right, I was thinking of a different player and got them mixed up by the final year of contract. Point stands, as you made it. The only upside for Tennessee is if Henry is running pissed off hoping for his next contract. But if the Titans aren’t competitive, what was the point of one final hood season when they could get some future draft capital for him. 

On 4/21/2023 at 12:46 PM, Juicy said:

Great Job Jameson. although apparently he placed bets on the NBA from the team hotel which would have been allowed if he was on the sidewalk, but since he was in the hotel 6 games. 

Why are they staying at a Motel 6? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White