2024 NBA draft - Bronny in the top ten?

closetohumping

Nobody wants to fuck with Klutch, so even if Bronny were a lottery pick level prospect, he’d be untouchable until the Lakers pick.

Looking forward to the day when these assholes aren’t ruining the NBA. 

Until then, I’m patiently waiting for the Cavs to trade Mitchell to Lakers for a bag of basketballs and some towels. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nobody wants to fuck with Klutch, so even if Bronny were a lottery pick level prospect, he’d be untouchable until the Lakers pick.

Looking forward to the day when these assholes aren’t ruining the NBA. 

Pfffft that's not how any of that works.

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From some critiques I watched, Bronny had a subpar day in the combine in the scrimmages. Lebron can get trainers to help Bronny succeed with jumping and shooting drills but his game is still not ready for heavy college minutes.

Slow ass release.  I’m not the only one that noticed

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Slow ass release.  I’m not the only one that noticed

You need to be exceptional at several skills to make the NBA at 6'1".  I'm unsure that Bronny is exceptional at anything. I will give him credit that a 40 inch vertical leap is in the upper level of most NBA players but he was average at best at the speed drills.  Short, slow SG who can jump out of the gym but may just be an average shooter.  That's the definition of the guy who is does well at the local gym.

Still I guess that he will be drafted because the team drafting him is basically drafting LeBron for a year or two. Or worst case, you draft Bronny and then immediately trade him for a player greater than the draft spot.  

1 hour ago, definitely not derka said:

I.e., the value of what in many other years is the 19th overall pick?

It'll be interesting to see in five years where this draft class actually ranks since, say, 2000. I know, right now, it's looked at as holistically deficient.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

"A poor man's Davion Mitchell".  Ouch. Basically like saying "a poor man's borderline NBA player"

That is crazy because Davion Mitchell was an absolutely awesome NCAA player. He was one of the most aggressive lock down perimeter defenders I have seen.  I thought he was going to do great in the NBA.  I still think he might do ok if he got out of Sacramento.  I wish San Antonio would trade for him.

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

At least ten teams have invited Bronny to work out.  He’s turned them all down accept the lakers and the suns. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seems like he really wants to live his life long dream of being a NBA player.

It's always been a sham and will be recorded in history as such.

53 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seems like he really wants to live his life long dream of being a NBA player sitting on daddy's lap in the locker room. 

• Haha 1

it’ll probably continue to be that way the current climate of american youth basketball. from players focusing on skill over being a competent, winning player, to what aau has done to player development, iq, and work ethic, to the fact that every 19 year old with a chance to get drafted is entering the draft these days, what you’re left with is a bunch of lesser known foreigners and 19 and 20 year old americans who may be a top five pick who’s already peaked, or a second round pick and future mvp. the talent level of draft classes is probably going to stink going forward.

13 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

it’ll probably continue to be that way the current climate of american youth basketball. from players focusing on skill over being a competent, winning player, to what aau has done to player development, iq, and work ethic, to the fact that every 19 year old with a chance to get drafted is entering the draft these days, what you’re left with is a bunch of lesser known foreigners and 19 and 20 year old americans who may be a top five pick who’s already peaked, or a second round pick and future mvp. the talent level of draft classes is probably going to stink going forward.

Disagree. You don't have to look any further than next year's class. It's loaded. I feel like the league from top to bottom is as talented as it's ever been and there's more parity because of it. It's never going back to the majority of players sticking around in college for 4 years, but that doesn't mean that the players coming out today won't be great pros, even if it takes them a little bit longer to get there. 

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Looking at bronnys game log sheet… his career high is 15 pts in a loss to Oregon state back in December.

Reached double digit scoring (11 & 10 pts respectively) 2 other times.

8 1 bucket games
6 0 bucket games
6 2 bucket games.

At this point I might actually be pulling for Bronny to make it. I don't think he will, but I'm a sucker for a riches to riches story. 

14 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

Tom Cruise What GIF

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Disagree. You don't have to look any further than next year's class. It's loaded. I feel like the league from top to bottom is as talented as it's ever been and there's more parity because of it. It's never going back to the majority of players sticking around in college for 4 years, but that doesn't mean that the players coming out today won't be great pros, even if it takes them a little bit longer to get there. 

At this point I might actually be pulling for Bronny to make it. I don't think he will, but I'm a sucker for a riches to riches story. 

Yeah you're basically taking all the talent and putting them on NBA teams and around NBA coaches at a younger age. They develop fine, and you can see the parity right now in the NBA. It isn't really possible to consolidate the talent and build a superteam because there's so much. 

Sucks for the colleges but now that they can pay players maybe more will go that route. I doubt it though because if I was a talented 19 year old basketball player I would want to just be about basketball without the facade of going to school and taking classes.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

well that’s why i said that the talent level of “draft classes” will probably stink going forward, and not the realized talent of players themselves. there will still be the occasional 19 year old who is ready to go, but the days of guys having any sort of polish to their game when they enter the draft are waning. the talent of players these days is off the charts, but on draft night you’re looking at drafting some 19-20 year old american kid who’s spent most of his life acquiring skill and not becoming a polished, winning player.

Edited by definitely not derka

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Tom Cruise What GIF

what’s not to understand? the days of tim duncan and grant hill entering the league as polished players is over. drafting is more about potential and less about who the player currently is than it’s ever been. i don’t think this take is even lukewarm, much less hot.

i mean what are we even talking about here?

IMG_6267.thumb.jpeg.f940b940b90c4d95037281e787d96cc6.jpeg

is that not the literal definition of what i just described?

i just went and looked at the drafts from 2015-2020 to see what some more recent drafts (so drafts that are more relevant than those of TD and G Hill) and even in these more recent drafts the guys being picked are all much more known commodities with well defined bodies of work than the kids getting drafted today. for example:

IMG_6270.thumb.jpeg.9a7db296508912075367cc5339240556.jpeg

none of those guys came straight from HS, none of those guys transferred during college, none of those guys played for the G League Ignite, and pretty much all of them played huge roles for competitive ncaa teams and/or blue blood programs. they were known commodities. this was just a few years ago and yet you can’t say that about the most recent/upcoming/future draft classes.

20 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

what’s not to understand? the days of tim duncan and grant hill entering the league as polished players is over. drafting is more about potential and less about who the player currently is than it’s ever been. i don’t think this take is even lukewarm, much less hot.

i mean what are we even talking about here?

IMG_6267.thumb.jpeg.f940b940b90c4d95037281e787d96cc6.jpeg

is that not the literal definition of what i just described?

Why did you cut off the two guys who completely go against your thesis?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, fellside said:

Why did you cut off the two guys who completely go against your thesis?

i must have missed the part of my own thesis where i said that literally every single player who will ever be drafted from now on will be a total unknown with no exceptions. we’re talking about the nba draft at large, not the 1% of generational talents who are tangential to the conversation.

now, would you care to disagree with or discuss anything i’ve actually posted, or was that all? look at the 2017 screenshot vs the 2023 screenshot and tell me again that my “thesis” is incorrect.

10 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

i must have missed the part of my own thesis where i said that literally every single player who will ever be drafted from now on will be a total unknown with no exceptions. we’re talking about the nba draft at large, not the 1% of generational talents who are tangential to the conversation.

now, would you care to disagree with or discuss anything i’ve actually posted, or was that all? look at the 2017 screenshot vs the 2023 screenshot and tell me again that my “thesis” is incorrect.

You said "the days of tim Duncan and Grant Hill entering the league as polished players is over." Those are your words. It was the begining of your argument that I quoted. Wembanyama and Miller looked pretty damn polished.

Derek Lively is the determining factor in the western conference playoffs right now.

If we want to say American players are slightly down, fine. But the improvement in talent from overseas more than makes up for it. The league is more talented right now than ever.

18 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

i just went and looked at the drafts from 2015-2020 to see what some more recent drafts (so drafts that are more relevant than those of TD and G Hill) and even in these more recent drafts the guys being picked are all much more known commodities with well defined bodies of work than the kids getting drafted today. for example:

IMG_6270.thumb.jpeg.9a7db296508912075367cc5339240556.jpeg

none of those guys came straight from HS, none of those guys transferred during college, none of those guys played for the G League Ignite, and pretty much all of them played huge roles for competitive ncaa teams and/or blue blood programs. they were known commodities. this was just a few years ago and yet you can’t say that about the most recent/upcoming/future draft classes.

I'm not sure I'm buying it. Markelle Fultz was a one and done. Huge bust, at least for a #1 pick. Lonzo Ball, Tatum, Josh Jackson (bust), Fox, Isaac, Markkanan, etc. were all one and done. I'm too lazy to go down the rest of the line, but that was a pretty good draft class overall.

None of the current draftees are straight from high school. This was the last year of ignite, they announced. Going forward, most of these guys are going to end up playing in college for at least one year, or will have to go overseas. NIL makes it much more palatable and it's honestly a better marketing tool for the league if they play in college. But they're still going to be one and done, because the guaranteed first round money is too much to pass up.

This year is just a down year for talent. I wouldn't read too much into it. There are busts every year even at the top of the draft and even guys who played for blue blood programs and never transferred. Cooper Flagg is likely going #1 next year and is playing for Duke. Rutgers (I know, Rutgers!) has two of the top players in Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper. VJ Edgecomb will be at Baylor. Tre Johnson is a projected lottery pick. I'm just not seeing it.

6 minutes ago, fellside said:

The league is more talented right now than ever.

of course it is. however, as has been stated and repeated, i am referring the players at the time they are drafted, not at the moment when they’ve realized their potential after many years in the league. 

so again, comparing last years draft (g leaguer, g leaguer, g leaguer, 18 year old role player who can’t shoot from a mediocre team, 18 year old role player from CUSA, 18 year old role player from CUSA) and compare it to recent drafts then there really is no argument that the players coming out today arent less polished than the traditional, historical draft classes were. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Lonzo Ball, Tatum, Josh Jackson (bust), Fox, Isaac, Markkanan, etc. were all one and done. I'm too lazy to go down the rest of the line, but that was a pretty good draft class overall.

all of those guys were more known commodities when they came out than the crop of g league players + anthony black, jarace walker, taylor hendricks, etc. were. all of those guys were role players who came and went without anyone hardly noticing. ask your friends who follow college basketball who they knew more about when they entered the draft, those guys, or jayson tatum, lonzo ball, josh jackson, de’aaron fox, etc. again, it’s really not even close. there is no comparison.

4 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

all of those guys were more known commodities when they came out than the crop of g league players + anthony black, jarace walker, taylor hendricks, etc. were. all of those guys were role players who came and went without anyone hardly noticing. ask your friends who follow college basketball who they knew more about when they entered the draft, those guys, or jayson tatum, lonzo ball, josh jackson, de’aaron fox, etc. again, it’s really not even close. there is no comparison.

What do  you say we go back even further, to 2013:

image.thumb.png.4aac205bbe3d29eca8b31a06641a07d2.png

You think a lot of people were fired up for Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter, Cody Zeller and Alex fucking Len? That was a bad, bad draft. And of course, at #15, a skinny Greek kid went to Milwaukee that nobody knew shit about. 

I see where you're going but I just think you're missing the forest for the trees.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You think a lot of people were fired up for Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter, Cody Zeller and Alex fucking Len? That was a bad, bad draft. And of course, at #15, a skinny Greek kid went to Milwaukee that nobody knew shit about. 

I see where you're going but I just think you're missing the forest for the trees.

You left out the french defensive juggernaut whos leading his team to the finals

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

if you check my posting history i’ve got beaucoup posts about how many terrible draft classes we’ve had, and there have been a ton of them. my point is simply that players are more unknown now when they enter the draft than they used to be, and again, i don’t think that’s a terribly controversial take. lottery picks used to be star players on star CBB teams that had high tourney seeds, with the exceptions being the obviously uber “gifted” (see: combine warriors, tall, long, athletic, etc) players and the occasional foreigner. these days it is routine for the top picks to largely come from either the international pool, or from 18-19 year old americans who were role players on teams that may or may not have been any good at all, eg anthony black, jarace walker, taylor hendricks, jett howard, etc. the due diligence that’s required these days to figure out if a guy is a winner, a great teammate, ready for the spotlight, etc, far exceeds what we’ve previously seen for decades. all we know is that they have talent and skills; for the most part, we don’t know who they are as a man, player, competitor, winner, etc.  it like we used to.

58 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

my point is simply that players are more unknown now when they enter the draft than they used to be, and again, i don’t think that’s a terribly controversial take.

That isn’t a controversial take, but it also isn’t what you originally said. 

On 5/28/2024 at 6:51 PM, definitely not derka said:

the talent level of draft classes is probably going to stink going forward.

I can buy that there is more variance in potential outcomes for any given player compared to the old days (which I think is the point you are trying to make), but the overall talent level will continue to be pretty great this year notwithstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So Bronny only works out for Lakers and Suns but Rich Paul says they are open to anyone? Then today he says they will not accept a two way contract that is pretty standard for second round picks. Basically if you aren’t the Lakers or Suns, you have to take him in the first round….or let’s finagle this so the Lakers or Suns can wait and take him late in the second round. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

So Bronny only works out for Lakers and Suns but Rich Paul says they are open to anyone? Then today he says they will not accept a two way contract that is pretty standard for second round picks. Basically if you aren’t the Lakers or Suns, you have to take him in the first round….or let’s finagle this so the Lakers or Suns can wait and take him late in the second round. 

And why the Suns?  Are they gonna trade for Bron or something?  I don't think Bron cares to play with Beal or KD

19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And why the Suns?  Are they gonna trade for Bron or something?  I don't think Bron cares to play with Beal or KD

Maybe Lebron thinks he can manipulate some sign and trade to Phoenix? I assume he doesn’t want to (1) play with his son and (2) win enough to opt out of his player option and sign with PHX for the vet minimum (which is the easiest way for him to play with Bronny). Trying to make some stupid super team is pretty on brand for him, and KD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

if you check my posting history i’ve got beaucoup posts about how many terrible draft classes we’ve had, and there have been a ton of them. my point is simply that players are more unknown now when they enter the draft than they used to be, and again, i don’t think that’s a terribly controversial take. lottery picks used to be star players on star CBB teams that had high tourney seeds, with the exceptions being the obviously uber “gifted” (see: combine warriors, tall, long, athletic, etc) players and the occasional foreigner. these days it is routine for the top picks to largely come from either the international pool, or from 18-19 year old americans who were role players on teams that may or may not have been any good at all, eg anthony black, jarace walker, taylor hendricks, jett howard, etc. the due diligence that’s required these days to figure out if a guy is a winner, a great teammate, ready for the spotlight, etc, far exceeds what we’ve previously seen for decades. all we know is that they have talent and skills; for the most part, we don’t know who they are as a man, player, competitor, winner, etc.  it like we used to.

How can we check your posting history? You just started posting here like a month ago…

Zip It Shut Your Mouth GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Haha 5