2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

6 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Alright for the sake of discussion: guys that could be drafted after next year 

Locks: Sweat, Ford, Jones, Barron, Watts, Sanders

Should be locks: Worthy, Ewers

I'd say locks but they might be UDFA: Robinson, Whittington

Theoretically could happen: Collins, Murphy

I think they'll have eligibility and questionable pro prospects: Majors, Thompson

?s: Catalon, Mitchell, Holmes

Is it crazy to think we could be looking at 6-10 draftees? The most we've had since the turn of the century is 7 in 2007. Different era with COVID years and transfers, but this really speaks to the amount of talent we've got this year. Of course that cuts both ways with NIL incentivizing some guys to stay. Let's go win the damn thing. 

Do you watch the NFL at all? Ewers and Worthy are locks. Good lord. Idiotic to have them going undrafted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think they'll have eligibility and questionable pro prospects: Majors, Thompson

Is it crazy to think we could be looking at 6-10 draftees? The most we've had since the turn of the century is 7 in 2007. Different era with COVID years and transfers, but this really speaks to the amount of talent we've got this year. Of course that cuts both ways with NIL incentivizing some guys to stay. Let's go win the damn thing. 

Ewers should be a lock? Do you guys understand the leap he would have to make in play to go pro after next season? He was atrocious. Some of the shittiest quarterback play I have ever seen.

The only practice reports I care about are the ones about Ewers and there hasn’t been much other than “he’s more serious” and “getting more vocal.”

The idea that he should be a lock to go pro is some widespread Surly narrative that only holds merit in fantasy.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Ewers should be a lock? Do you guys understand the leap he would have to make in play to go pro after next season? He was atrocious. Some of the shittiest quarterback play I have ever seen.

The only practice reports I care about are the ones about Ewers and there hasn’t been much other than “he’s more serious” and “getting more vocal.”

The idea that he should be a lock to go pro is some widespread Surly narrative that only holds merit in fantasy.

If he has a year where he throws for 3k-4k yards and has 25+ TD's and 5 or less interceptions his arm is going to have scouts salivating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Worthy and Ewers are the most likely to get drafted of anyone on that entire list or team as a whole. that is a legit horrible take to have them in the "should be locks"

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Did you have your eyes sewn shut for the majority of the time about 2010- 2017? 

you know, sometimes i forget i am on the football board.

imagine watching Ewers and thinking "that was some of the shittiest quarterback play I have ever seen"

guess the guy hasn't been watching much Texas football for the last decade. here are the guys who have any real # of passing attempts since Colt left:

• Garrett Gilbert
  • Case McCoy
  • David Ash
  • Tyrone Swoopes
  • Jerrod Heard
  • Shane Buechele
  • Sam Ehlinger
  • Casey Thompson
  • Hudson Card
  • Quinn Ewers

Ewers isn't even the worst starting QB Texas has had in the last 2 years.

Spoiler

10802163.jpg

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Naturally you want 2-3 guys there you can rely on. 

I think you misunderstood. Based on what is coming out of camp, it does not sound like there is one complete player at the position the coaches can rely on currently. So you will have to match the players skills to the situation/team. Example would be Finkley starts vs KSU and Burke vs TTech. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I think you misunderstood. Based on what is coming out of camp, it does not sound like there is one complete player at the position the coaches can rely on currently. So you will have to match the players skills to the situation/team. Example would be Finkley starts vs KSU and Burke vs TTech. 

I think it's still too early to determine. Lets circle back at fall camp and see.

14 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Oh Yeah GIF

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

you know, sometimes i forget i am on the football board.

imagine watching Ewers and thinking "that was some of the shittiest quarterback play I have ever seen"

guess the guy hasn't been watching much Texas football for the last decade. here are the guys who have any real # of passing attempts since Colt left:

• Garrett Gilbert
  • Case McCoy
  • David Ash
  • Tyrone Swoopes
  • Jerrod Heard
  • Shane Buechele
  • Sam Ehlinger
  • Casey Thompson
  • Hudson Card
  • Quinn Ewers

Slow your roll on David Ash and Sam Ehlinger if your point is to fluff Ewers. As a true sophomore, Ash completed 67.3%, 2699 yards, 8.5y/a, 19 TD, 8 INT. Before he got hurt as a true junior, he went 60.9% completion, 8.7 y/a, 7 TD, 2 INT.

As a true sophomore, Sam completed 64.7%, 3292 yards, 7.7 y/a, 25 TD, 5 INT. As a true junior, he went 65.2%, 3663 yards, 8.1 y/a, 32 TD, 10 INT.

Quinn as RS-freshman was 58.1%, 2177 yards, 7.4 y/a, 15 TD, 6 INT.

Quinn has the talent go 1-1 in the NFL draft. But if he doesn’t make a big jump in production he won’t go that high, or may not even be a first rounder. He needs a big jump just to match Ash and Sam when they were the same age.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

JFC dude, he has a 1st round pick arm and everyone knows that. Should be a lock based on arm talent alone. 

Davis Mills played in 13 college games over three years while never having a season as good as Quinn's last year (not saying Quinn was good...) and was still a third round draft pick based mostly off of his high school recruiting ranking.

Ewers will be drafted.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Slow your roll on David Ash and Sam Ehlinger if your point is to fluff Ewers. As a true sophomore, Ash completed 67.3%, 2699 yards, 8.5y/a, 19 TD, 8 INT. Before he got hurt as a true junior, he went 60.9% completion, 8.7 y/a, 7 TD, 2 INT.

As a true sophomore, Sam completed 64.7%, 3292 yards, 7.7 y/a, 25 TD, 5 INT. As a true junior, he went 65.2%, 3663 yards, 8.1 y/a, 32 TD, 10 INT.

Quinn has the talent go 1-1 in the NFL draft. But if he doesn’t make a big jump in production he won’t go that high, or may not even be a first rounder. He needs a big jump just to match Ash and Sam when they were the same age.

I think he was just listing QB's in the date range the above poster said. 

David Ash
image.png.954e1d09e7bb3d4a9ef78dfcbe78b07a.png

Sam

image.png.504b9fedd101742d4cb2c8a63b31bda1.png

Quinn

image.png.7d876a09435d052899c7849fc3067b8f.png

Quinn outperformed the two guys you specifically mentioned in completion percentage, yards, YPA, TD, and threw few interceptions. I think we can expect Quinn to take a really good jump going into season two just as the other guys did. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Elhinger was 158-275 (57.5%), 7.0 per, 11 TDs and 7 Ints in year 1. 

Ash was 98-173 (56.6%), 6.2 per, 4TDs and 8 Ints in year 1. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Difficult to compare Sam to Quinn.   Sam had a shittier offensive line, but better WRs for part of his career.  Quinn had shittier WRs but a better offensive line.    

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Elhinger was 158-275 (57.5%), 7.0 per, 11 TDs and 7 Ints in year 1. 

Ash was 98-173 (56.6%), 6.2 per, 4TDs and 8 Ints in year 1. 

The post I replied to said Quinn was a better QB or better to watch than all QBs from 2010-2021. If I was building a Longhorn team, Ewers should be the top pick talentwise among those we’ve had since Colt left. 

I was stating their stats and performance relative to Quinn. If you are Quinn’s white knight, ok. But you can’t say his experience before his first start (in addition to being 5++++ star rated) was equivalent to Ash or Sam coming in as true freshmen. Is the new argument that RS-FR Quinn played slightly better than true freshmen Sam and Ash? Ok congratulations. Let’s anoint him the 2024 #1 pick. 

It probably hurt Quinn somewhat that for about half the season he could only throw downfield for some reason to a guy with a broken hand. 

Expectations for him got way out of whack in a hurry. I don't think a lot of people realized that he had played something like six games since his sophomore year of high school. Plenty of ups and downs but if you said in August that he'd throw 15 TDs and 6 INTs in an injury-shortened season, I'd have said that's probably about right. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The post I replied to said Quinn was a better QB or better to watch than all QBs from 2010-2021. If I was building a Longhorn team, Ewers should be the top pick talentwise among those we’ve had since Colt left. 

I was stating their stats and performance relative to Quinn. If you are Quinn’s white knight, ok. But you can’t say his experience before his first start (in addition to being 5++++ star rated) was equivalent to Ash or Sam coming in as true freshmen. Is the new argument that RS-FR Quinn played slightly better than true freshmen Sam and Ash? Ok congratulations. Let’s anoint him the 2024 #1 pick. 

I simply posted stats. I believe the argument was started by someone saying last year was some of the shittiest QB play a poster has seen. So I am not sure pointing out how bad the QB play has been at Texas the last 10 years is changing the argument, but perhaps you are reading a different thread. Not sure where the "Let’s anoint him the 2024 #1 pick." came from. It is hard to have discussion, when you are making up conclusions based on things that nobody has said. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Wrong. The NFL drafts of potential and routinely drafts 10 QBs a year. If he has a similar or slightly better year he will be drafted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Next year will be the most successful draft for UT in decades. I don't see Robinson or Whittington getting drafted. They both received late round/UDFA grades and they'll be another year older.

Collins is legitimately playing this spring like he's in a contract year. He'll be drafted if he stays healthy.

15 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I’m am not sure on Watts. He probably has to move to safety in the NFL. I would move Collins up. So talented, he will get drafted. Worthy is a lock. Mitchell is likely, if he can stay healthy. 

Watts is headed towards being the 3rd CB, quickly. I don't see him being drafted unless it is late. Holmes will get drafted. He's been the truth this spring, apparently.

14 hours ago, Had Enough said:

You forgot Gbenda.

I assume this is a joke, right?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

not saying they are trash, just was posting a list of the QBs who had any decent number of passes attempted since Colt left.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Holmes is way better than they thought and they liked him enough to make him a priority in the portal.

Just reading between the lines, it has seemed like what they would like to do is start Holmes and Brooks at CB. But, Watts was pretty good last year and I would imagine he is one of our best 11 on D. Guess the three will all end up getting close to starters snaps and it really doesn't matter. 

Well fuck me for trying to start a substantive discussion, I guess. Let me rename the categories and move Watts and Collins. I'll also throw Gbenda and Crawford in there. 

Re: Ewers, I think he's a first round pick next year, but I didn't have him in the locks category because there are conceivable scenarios where he returns. What if he tears his ACL in the fall? Another year could significantly improve his grade. Spencer Rattler went from projected first overall to undrafted in a year, so it's always possible, hence my hedging. Worthy would be a case of improving stock, but again, I think he's 99% gone next year. 

The third category was my bad. I meant guys that are seniors+, hence locks to go pro, but that they might not be drafted. I think Watts has his COVID year though.

Locks: Sweat, Ford, Jones, Barron, Collins, Sanders

Should be locks Will go pro barring disaster: Worthy, Ewers

I'd say locks but they might be UDFA Out of eligibility and probably UDFA: Robinson, Whittington, Watts

Theoretically could happen: Murphy, Sorrell, Brooks, Crawford, Gbenda

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Well fuck me for trying to start a substantive discussion, I guess. Let me rename the categories and move Watts and Collins. I'm also adding 

Re: Ewers, I think he's a first round pick next year, but I didn't have him in the locks category because there are conceivable scenarios where he returns. What if he tears his ACL in the fall? Another year could significantly improve his grade. Spencer Rattler went from projected first overall to undrafted in a year, so it's always possible, hence my hedging. Worthy would be a case of improving stock, but again, I think he's 99% gone next year. 

The third category was my bad. I meant guys that are seniors+, hence locks to go pro, but that they might not be drafted. I think Watts has his COVID year though.

I'd say locks but they might be UDFA Out of eligibility and probably UDFA: Robinson, Whittington, Watts

The thread police will take this under consideration and get back to you.  

10 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Well fuck me for trying to start a substantive discussion, I guess. Let me rename the categories and move Watts and Collins. I'll also throw Gbenda and Crawford in there. 

Let's cool it on saying "Ewers" and "Torn ACL" in the same sentence, please. The only things I can see derailing the 2023 season are injuries and Big 12 ref fuckery.

• Hook 'Em 4

Here's the deal. there are no locks, as far as NFL financial security.  How many guys have you seen that were "locks" wash the fuck out for whatever reason?   Now this is not to say you cannot certainly identify NFL level physiques and skill sets, but even for guys like Bijan shit has to fall into place.  What if  Sark had ridden him like a pony and worn his body down and created nagging injuries?  We would for sure have a better record, but Bijan might not be healthy.

I do think you can say absolutely certain guys are locks to get long looks by the NFL, and that's honestly all a young player can ask for.  Maybe you can play for a year or two, or maybe 10 if you are a bad ass.  But one of the great things about The University of Texas that if you use your head, you can parlay your game days into a healthy income outside the 3.3 years the average NFL player plays.  

Probably the single biggest factor for all the players as far as NFL consideration? WIN FUCKING GAMES!!!!  When you team wins a lot everyone looks better, the talent pool goes stronger, and in the eyes of NFL scouts this helps all boats rise on the tide.  Have a single break out season on a Natty contender and you are gonna get a sniff for sure.  Have that same season on an 8-4 team... and you won't get a sniff at all.  

Of course feel free to disagree, but winning and winning consistently is how you get more guys from individual classes into the big show.  We seem to be on the verge of having solid two deep talent.  We seem to be at point where the leadership of upperclassmen is where it needs to be to take the next step forward.  The more steps the team takes forward the more of the good guys get a real opportunity to earn a job in the NFL.  But if all of them were smart they would be pressing the flesh of UT alums as often as they can, because for the vast majority of our players that is where their earnings are going to come from.  

OR maybe the all save their NIL money, live conservatively, and have long NFL careers! 😉

10 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Here's the deal. there are no locks, as far as NFL financial security.  How many guys have you seen that were "locks" wash the fuck out for whatever reason?   Now this is not to say you cannot certainly identify NFL level physiques and skill sets, but even for guys like Bijan shit has to fall into place.  What if  Sark had ridden him like a pony and worn his body down and created nagging injuries?  We would for sure have a better record, but Bijan might not be healthy.

I do think you can say absolutely certain guys are locks to get long looks by the NFL, and that's honestly all a young player can ask for.  Maybe you can play for a year or two, or maybe 10 if you are a bad ass.  But one of the great things about The University of Texas that if you use your head, you can parlay your game days into a healthy income outside the 3.3 years the average NFL player plays.  

Probably the single biggest factor for all the players as far as NFL consideration? WIN FUCKING GAMES!!!!  When you team wins a lot everyone looks better, the talent pool goes stronger, and in the eyes of NFL scouts this helps all boats rise on the tide.  Have a single break out season on a Natty contender and you are gonna get a sniff for sure.  Have that same season on an 8-4 team... and you won't get a sniff at all.  

Of course feel free to disagree, but winning and winning consistently is how you get more guys from individual classes into the big show.  We seem to be on the verge of having solid two deep talent.  We seem to be at point where the leadership of upperclassmen is where it needs to be to take the next step forward.  The more steps the team takes forward the more of the good guys get a real opportunity to earn a job in the NFL.  But if all of them were smart they would be pressing the flesh of UT alums as often as they can, because for the vast majority of our players that is where their earnings are going to come from.  

OR maybe the all save their NIL money, live conservatively, and have long NFL careers! 😉

sir, this is an arby's

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Regarding practice reports, most of the feedback the writers not named Burton or Hamilton are getting is coming from the player side. That's specious data, to be kind. Kitan Crawford and Gbenda specifically are getting the same reviews from the staff side that the guys playing beside them are offering. 
The staff is really happy with what they're seeing across the board, which wasn't true in either the '21 or '22 spring. 
Collins looks like he woke up and decidedly to play up to his perceived talent level.
Holmes is way better than they thought and they liked him enough to make him a priority in the portal.
The DL is going to be good. The D is going to be good. There's depth everywhere. Edge might not be a strength, but the floor is high and will be buoyed by the interior DL as a strength, as well as coverage in the secondary.
Ewers is going to have a great fall. You dipshits need to stop feeding the troll. Ghost of Shag shows up regularly with a machine gun loaded to the gills with hawt takes and just starts wildly firing them across the site.
Moore has amazing hands and Cook looks like he was worthy of the ranking and hype. If it isn't the best WR room in CFB, it's top 5 at worst.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding practice reports, most of the feedback the writers not named Burton or Hamilton are getting is coming from the player side. That's specious data, to be kind. Kitan Crawford and Gbenda specifically are getting the same reviews from the staff side that the guys playing beside them are offering. 

The staff is really happy with what they're seeing across the board, which wasn't true in either the '21 or '22 spring. 

Collins looks like he woke up and decidedly to play up to his perceived talent level.

The DL is going to be good. The D is going to be good. There's depth everywhere. Edge might not be a strength, but the floor is high and will be buoyed by the interior DL as a strength, as well as coverage in the secondary.

Ewers is going to have a great fall. You dipshits need to stop feeding the troll. Ghost of Shag shows up regularly with a machine gun loaded to the gills with hawt takes and just starts wildly firing them across the site.

Moore has amazing hands and Cook looks like he was worthy of the ranking and hype. If it isn't the best WR room in CFB, it's top 5 at worst.

man prevails GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Watts is headed towards being the 3rd CB, quickly. I don't see him being drafted unless it is late. Holmes will get drafted. He's been the truth this spring, apparently.

FWIW there's guys on footballsfuture in love with Watts and his size.

Quinn either goes top 2 in next years draft or he's playing for South Carolina

14 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

that makes sense, I was just pointing out his future is probably at Safety in the NFL. Someone may draft him, but its always hard to predict guys that are likely to move positions.

Regarding practice reports, most of the feedback the writers not named Burton or Hamilton are getting is coming from the player side. That's specious data, to be kind. Kitan Crawford and Gbenda specifically are *not* getting the same reviews from the staff side that the guys playing beside them are offering. 

Collins looks like he woke up and decided to play up to his perceived talent level.

Quoting so people can see the key word I accidentally left out and have now added in. Gbenda and Crawford are typical spring iron pyrite. 

17 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

We’ll see how much they love when Brooks and Holmes are playing more snaps than he is. Good problem to have for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

Why does everyone assume Ewers will leave after his sophomore year? Just because he can?

Hmmm, good question. There is nothing in his decision-making history to indicate that he might do whatever he can to leave a program prematurely and abruptly. Can’t figure out why anyone would think he’d do it either. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Why does everyone assume Ewers will leave after his sophomore year? Just because he can?

I think it is based on his arm talent and the NFL's penchant for over-drafting any QB with a pulse. With a good season, he will likely sky rocket up the board. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

But you stated stats from their second year, not their more comparative 1st seasons. Just because Quinn is listed as a RS Freshmen doesn't mean anything....especially given the context of his path from Southlake to Ohio State, to Texas. Essentially he was a true freshmen out there.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Are you comfortable with the depth at linebacker?

Gbenda or somebody stepping up would be great. We all love Hill but freshmen linebackers are trash. Derrick Johnson is the only good one Ive ever seen here and that's an impossible standard. Also Im pretty sure they even brought DJ along somewhat slowly with what they asked of him

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic