2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

52 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I used to walk 15 miles uphill both ways just to get a copy of the Statesman’s fab 55. If a player wasn’t on that list no one knew their name until the first game when it was on their jersey. 

I walked from campus to Leander just to scout a player in person. Then I walked back 12 hours later. I couldn't walk for more than 15 minutes without my knees hurting for like a month after that. True story...except for the "scouting a player" part.

31 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Pressley was good for recruiting updates back in the dialup age. The only time in my life I had insider info was Quentin Jammer.  Roommates girlfriend’s father was his hs principal.  He was like don’t sweat this shit, he’s going to Texas.

Dark Helmet Father GIF

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I used to walk 15 miles uphill both ways just to get a copy of the Statesman’s fab 55. If a player wasn’t on that list no one knew their name until the first game when it was on their jersey. 

The day after signing day I'd tell my mom I couldn't take the bus home because I had to go to the county library after school, then walk to the library after school just to look at the AAS 55.  Ok, I just looked it up and it was only .4 miles but still.

This was in 81 or 82 and even my young mind could tell there was a shitload of OU, SMU, TCU and Aggy on that list and not much Texas.  I just figured we were Texas and it was our God given right to always be good, we didn't need no stinkin' blue chips 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

From what the UT 9.95ers have said over the years, pre-2002 recruiting cycle you kept up with recruiting through newspapers, magazines, local/regional high school sports shows, & etc.

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

247 launched during the 2011 recruiting cycle. So I gotta assume that 247 used old magazines & old articles to fill in the 247 composite ratings for these recruit profiles from UT's 2000 class seeing as Rivals & Scout's websites have never had pre-2002 ratings or rankings since I've been following recruiting.

Why are you still posting this? It has been explained to you by at least a dozen posters over the last two pages. Both of these posts are wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

With Red emerging, Blue showing signs of life, and Baxter living up to the hype, I bet that keeps Sark from looking in the portal for another RB. I'm sure that would change if an all conference back were to put his name in. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, Blue was the number 1 back in the country before he was kicked off his team right? Blue, Baxter, Gibson would be a helluva heater. 

Did you forget about our actual top two RBs on the depth chart; Brooks and Robinson?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Not a cat said:

The day after signing day I'd tell my mom I couldn't take the bus home because I had to go to the county library after school, then walk to the library after school just to look at the AAS 55.  Ok, I just looked it up and it was only .4 miles but still.

This was in 81 or 82 and even my young mind could tell there was a shitload of OU, SMU, TCU and Aggy on that list and not much Texas.  I just figured we were Texas and it was our God given right to always be good, we didn't need no stinkin' blue chips 

Same, except a few years later.  The Dallas Morning News would have a Top 100 National, State, and Local list.  We'd have, maybe, 1 on the National list. I got really, really excited right before my freshman year at Texas because we actually signed a Top 100 player from D.C. - Lovell Pinckney.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/8/2023 at 9:56 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Savion Red isn’t a walk-on, he’s one of the top stories of the spring. And since Murphy was the QB, it was backups (3rd team?) perhaps vs. twos, and they scored on a long run that probably doesn’t happen very often. I’m glad they have emotion and support their teammate. Plus, it’s a good sign how his teammates reacted to Red, he’s known to have a strong personality, so it’s probably accepted by the team rather than frowned upon.

I don't know anybody's practice jersey number (or real jersey number on most days).

My point wasn't that it was a walkon... It was that it looked like excitement for a walk on.

It was a straightforward scrimmage play that was well executed by the offense and pretty poorly by the defense.

Hooray?

On 4/8/2023 at 9:34 AM, MuellerHorn said:

There is an enormous chasm between your average bj and a fantastic one. Some of y'all probably haven't had a woman (or someone - nttawwt) who truly knows what they're doing.

However, I agree with you that they're not comparable to great sex.

It's fun to get a blow job when you're watching TV.   Something to look forward to when the show is over.

36 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I don't know anybody's practice jersey number (or real jersey number on most days).

My point wasn't that it was a walkon... It was that it looked like excitement for a walk on.

It was a straightforward scrimmage play that was well executed by the offense and pretty poorly by the defense.

Hooray?

Coaches said the guys can have a pizza party on Friday if they score on this play.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ousux said:
17 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:
I used to call the AAS recruiting hotline 50 times a day.  

Yeah, I’m old.  

So back when Kurt Bowels was still a kid working in the mailroom

They probably made him a writer because no one in the mailroom could stand being around him any more.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, GTJ1982 said:

I used to walk but now I'm fat. 

Was blind, but now I see

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear

and grace my fears relieved

Might have to write a "contemporary" new verse to Amazing Grace.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

Jerry Scarbrough's TruOrange was the old school analog GOAT. A weekly newsletter/email riddled with spelling and grammatical errors. But his info was very solid. He correctly called Hicks to Texas in 2010. I don't really remember getting his emails after that. 

Dementia sucks. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jerry Scarbrough's TruOrange was the old school analog GOAT. A weekly newsletter/email riddled with spelling and grammatical errors. But his info was very solid. He correctly called Hicks to Texas in 2010. I don't really remember getting his emails after that. 

Dementia sucks. 

My late FIL always received a copy of Jerry Scarborough’s newsletter. He was in constant amazement that I already knew much of the information. It took him a few years to realize that there was this website, Hornfans, where a bunch of us were acquiring this supposed insider knowledge that he had to pay for. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 6

On 4/8/2023 at 6:08 PM, TheMailBox357 said:

247 launched during the 2011 recruiting cycle. So I gotta assume that 247 used old magazines & old articles to fill in the 247 composite ratings for these recruit profiles from UT's 2000 class seeing as Rivals & Scout's websites have never had pre-2002 ratings or rankings since I've been following recruiting.

You should change your user name to The Shoveler.

• Haha 5

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Considering that there is compelling supporting evidence that TheMailbox is actually Geoff Ketchum over here sniffing for recruiting intel, it actually tracks that he wouldn't know jack shit about the history and timline of recruiting and the internet. 

Let's not jump to conclusions. It is pretty obvious to me that Anwar knows far less than Ketchum about recruiting. 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:36 AM, Slacks said:

Hooray?

Sassy Office Space GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Haha 2

On 4/9/2023 at 10:36 AM, Slacks said:

Hooray?

jimmy-butler-yeah-right.gif

How is that possible for a football fan?  

2 hours ago, ryskey said:

With the spring game this weekend, I clicked on the thread called 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread hoping to see some player updates, how the early enrollees are doing, and maybe some speculation on how the staff will adjust after the losses to the draft/graduation.  

Last 2 pages = 

Boat Poop GIF

first time GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I never knew where people in college got recruiting info from. I would be having a beer with someone that would tell me about Corey Redding or Nathan Vasher and where they went to high school and I just pretended to know what the fuck they were talking about. I used my precious dial up Internet time in my apartment to download music on napster and look at pictures of naked women. Everything I learned about the team I learned from reading the Daily Texas on the bus ride to school. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I never knew where people in college got recruiting info from. I would be having a beer with someone that would tell me about Corey Redding or Nathan Vasher and where they went to high school and I just pretended to know what the fuck they were talking about. I used my precious dial up Internet time in my apartment to download music on napster and look at pictures of naked women. Everything I learned about the team I learned from reading the Daily Texas on the bus ride to school. 

Few students were paying for subscriptions. Most of the info back then was probably from Dave Campbell's. I had the magazine memorized by the time the next edition arrived.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wasn't Catalon's shoulder given a clean bill of health before he got here? I'm pretty sure he practiced one day and was then shelved the rest of the spring. 

They probably are taking it easy on him til Fall Camp begins..maybe?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think on the last IT podcast with Bobby and Justin that Justin mentioned some issues with Campbell. Like, maturity and attitude problems that were ongoing. I take this as a pretty bad sign - maybe Campbell has already told them he's going to the portal? Maybe he's pissed that he's still competing for reps? Justin was pretty definitive that as soon as Hutson comes back that he is starting at either G or C.