2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

5 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Considering they were basically pre-internet( for me anyway) and there wasn't as much exposure and press conferences...............Yeah I guess I am. I was much more interested in chasing pussy and drinking beer in those days. Got my Longhorn Football fix from Dallas Morning News back then.

Back in those days you could call in and ask Mackovic when he was going to get a real defense? and get hung up on by the host while an upset coach ranted. Also, you could call Mack Brown and ask if he was the Mackovic of special teams and have him act confused. I liked those radio call in shows. One time I called in from DC during an internship and a friend told me he recognized my voice but they hung up on me because I was shit faced after a win against OU in 1991 I think. I can't remember calling in. Mack Brown put an end to them saying he did not want to talk to people he did not respect.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Ah, Thompson is a bummer.

Well he’s still underweight, we have a new WR coach, and he decided to run track this spring. Not exactly a recipe to earn snaps in the fall, he’ll need to go somewhere he’s clearly the best talent in the room.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Nope said:

Well he’s still underweight, we have a new WR coach, and he decided to run track this spring. Not exactly a recipe to earn snaps in the fall, he’ll need to go somewhere he’s clearly the best talent in the room.

100% choosing not to go through spring football was brain dead stupid decision. If he was good enough at football that is one thing but he was a project.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Back in those days you could call in and ask Mackovic when he was going to get a real defense? and get hung up on by the host while an upset coach ranted. Also, you could call Mack Brown and ask if he was the Mackovic of special teams and have him act confused. I liked those radio call in shows. One time I called in from DC during an internship and a friend told me he recognized my voice but they hung up on me because I was shit faced after a win against OU in 1991 I think. I can't remember calling in. Mack Brown put an end to them saying he did not want to talk to people he did not respect.

I’ve told the story before, but I once heard the LSU coach’s show with Gerry Dinardo after they’d had yet another embarrassing, humiliating loss. The host was actively and angrily taunting him and allowing callers to just fucking lambast the guy, call after call. He ended up crying during the show. 

Within a month, if memory serves, he was shitcanned and they hired Nick Saban. It’s still the greatest moment I’ve ever experienced as a radio listener, and I’ve heard Dave South’s Baylor call. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

100% choosing not to go through spring football was brain dead stupid decision. If he was good enough at football that is one thing but he was a project.

Chose track over football and now he’s bailing on both programs 

34 minutes ago, Nope said:

Chose track over football and now he’s bailing on both programs 

So if he's really gonna continue with track while playing football, might Brenen be a candidate for baylor or arkansas??

Tech, blOU, okie lite, tcu, k-state or jayhawks might also kick the tires on Brenen -- he may be a kid who needs to play closer to his hometown.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

Sorrell must suck if a true frosh LB is a better pass rusher. Damnit Edge is a problem again.

Sorrell is solid but he does not have the freakish physical gifts to be a truly elite pass rusher. Hill does. In that sense, I don’t think it’s a knock on Sorrell so much as gassing Hill up.

But also I’d take that with a massive grain of salt in general.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ideally, "Ethan Burke and J'Mond Tapp" are the answers there. 

Hill is going to play a lot. Still not buying the Gbenda stuff.

They are giving Gbenda the reps to give him the chance.  But its basically a lure to keep him out of the portal to secure needed experienced depth. 

Once the season starts, you wont see him barring injury. 

12 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I had lunch with mcwilliams every tuesday.  anybody could have, but i happened to work in the student union and wasn't all that keen on studying.   there was practically nobody there - maybe 20 people max. and it was open to the press, public, anybody that wanted to come.  times have changed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Just for context, Sark was asked about players that have made the most progress this spring as pass rushers, not who the best pass rushers are. So not holding it against Sorrell. 

I'ts pretty funny seeing this commentary considering Sorrell lead our team in sacks last season 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Just for context, Sark was asked about players that have made the most progress this spring as pass rushers, not who the best pass rushers are. So not holding it against Sorrell. 

Well, that is, unsurprisingly, completely different from the Statesman's headline. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

They are giving Gbenda the reps to give him the chance.  But its basically a lure to keep him out of the portal to secure needed experienced depth. 

Once the season starts, you wont see him barring injury. 

Fuck what y’all talking about I hope Gbenda is as good as what they’re saying. 

that means two things we’re better and we are now developing players!!! 

14 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Fuck if Playoffs here we come 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Um, his wrist injury lol.

Ya think? A handful of posters a few pages back were chalking it up to maturity issues and had Campbell penciled in the portal already. The well-known ability of this board to create a narrative out of absolutely nothing remains breathtaking, but not more so than the proclivity of certain troglodytes infesting these parts for responding to posts while missing the point entirely.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Within a month, if memory serves, he was shitcanned and they hired Nick Saban. It’s still the greatest moment I’ve ever experienced as a radio listener, and I’ve heard Dave South’s Baylor call. 

CSB:

When I lived in College Station, some aggy friends and I would always make the Wings-N-More RC Slocum call in show at the restaurant. The show prior to the Texas game in his final season will always be a favorite memory for me. Usually, people showed up early and requested to sit in the room with the show to hear coach pontificate about the previous game and how they would do in the next. They had beaten #1 OU at home 2 weeks earlier, only to lose to unranked Mizzou the following week, also at home. The writing was on the wall, but they still had to play Texas in Austin.

We showed up at our normal 30 mins before the show and it was packed with people. We got the 2nd to last table in the room, and it was relatively normal and just like every other time we'd gone. You could hear Dave South mumbling something to himself about getting the radio equipment ready and to start as soon as RC walked into the room. Then, RC walks in as if the mute button was pressed on the room. Quiet. Every person in that room had a red face and was staring daggers into RC as he deliberately made his way to the table with Dave. No handshakes or high-fives today. The restaurant has food out for RC and Dave to enjoy while this interview goes on, but neither touched their plates or drinks. Dave gives the introduction as if someone has just informed him that his favorite dog has died, most likely at the hands of RC, then asks a handful of the softest questions imaginable. RC begins to speak and the ambient temperature rises about 2 degrees with the end of every sentence. The show lasted about half the normal length of time, Dave sounded as depressed as when Zeigler caught the ball, and I was the only person smiling in the room. I'll never forget the feeling that room had and I respected the hell out of RC after getting through it. That room was pissed off and wanted to see RC fired on the spot and he knew it. As deafening as the silence was when RC arrived, the room was equally as deafening when he left. I haven't heard the word "fired" that much since The Apprentice marathon on CNBC. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 5

On 4/12/2023 at 11:22 AM, immamac said:

lol that was straight up a recruiting pitch and I don't think he was real about much in that interview. Says all the coach speak shit and tells some story that is pre-approved and packaged for consumption. It was good, well delivered and natural though. 

I am still not sold on ole steve.

Cheese and Rice Imma, go take a fucking nap..

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve told the story before, but I once heard the LSU coach’s show with Gerry Dinardo after they’d had yet another embarrassing, humiliating loss. The host was actively and angrily taunting him and allowing callers to just fucking lambast the guy, call after call. He ended up crying during the show. 

The worst football coach ever at each SEC school and who replaced them |  Sports | nola.com

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Droopy said:

CSB:

When I lived in College Station, some aggy friends and I would always make the Wings-N-More RC Slocum call in show at the restaurant. The show prior to the Texas game in his final season will always be a favorite memory for me. Usually, people showed up early and requested to sit in the room with the show to hear coach pontificate about the previous game and how they would do in the next. They had beaten #1 OU at home 2 weeks earlier, only to lose to unranked Mizzou the following week, also at home. The writing was on the wall, but they still had to play Texas in Austin.

We showed up at our normal 30 mins before the show and it was packed with people. We got the 2nd to last table in the room, and it was relatively normal and just like every other time we'd gone. You could hear Dave South mumbling something to himself about getting the radio equipment ready and to start as soon as RC walked into the room. Then, RC walks in as if the mute button was pressed on the room. Quiet. Every person in that room had a red face and was staring daggers into RC as he deliberately made his way to the table with Dave. No handshakes or high-fives today. The restaurant has food out for RC and Dave to enjoy while this interview goes on, but neither touched their plates or drinks. Dave gives the introduction as if someone has just informed him that his favorite dog has died, most likely at the hands of RC, then asks a handful of the softest questions imaginable. RC begins to speak and the ambient temperature rises about 2 degrees with the end of every sentence. The show lasted about half the normal length of time, Dave sounded as depressed as when Zeigler caught the ball, and I was the only person smiling in the room. I'll never forget the feeling that room had and I respected the hell out of RC after getting through it. That room was pissed off and wanted to see RC fired on the spot and he knew it. As deafening as the silence was when RC arrived, the room was equally as deafening when he left. I haven't heard the word "fired" that much since The Apprentice marathon on CNBC. 🤘

Didn't we go on to score 56 on them or something? 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Didn't we go on to score 56 on them or something? 

Texas won 50-20.

The best part, was my diehard aggy friend was still on RC's side until they showed the locker room speech he gave to his players before they went out on the field to play Texas. Verbatim..., "Men, I want you to go out there and savor this game like it's the last bowl of Blue Bell Ice Cream." The look on the player's faces and my buddy's as they heard that was priceless.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

IMO edge is better than it has been in 3 years.

You get no argument from me. I was just trying to fit in trying to find the negative in the situation. For Sorrell anything less than 8 sacks is disappointing. I’m actually thinking 10, but that might get Rimbo coming in to tell me I’m full of shit. Then when he gets 8 and Ryan Watts 2 more, he can rip me a new one saying how unrealistic that prediction was.

We don’t blitz LB much but maybe that’s cause we didn’t have that guy. If Hill is that good a rusher, I’d think he’s coming off the edge a lot. Probably reduces his thinking and allows him to attack. That’s where pass rushing LBs generally make their mark.

I’m not concerned about the edge guys. There will likely be mixing and matching, but that’s ok from my perspective. That rotation helps keep them fresh anyway. It sounds like Hill may get some run then the arguments can ensue about whether it’s 3 or 4 man front cause he’s a LB.

10 wins minimum.

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Didnt catch that one, so its Dave South for me.  Cochamps Jr and I were driving to Austin from DFW for a game, and aTm was playing early vs Va Tech.  VT runs a play from their own 33 yd line and the call goes silent, with no crowd noise either since its in Gomer Pyle.  After about a 2-3 minute dead period (I shit you not), South comes back and says "and the Hokies run it in from the one, touchdown Va Tech".  I had to explain to my 7 year old what had just happend.  We laughed our asses off.

• Hook 'Em 1