2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Definitely not buying into the off-season koolaid (yet) until I see at least some improvement in the WR room and DL with my own eyes. Hopefully we see something at the spring game.

It is nice to see some good news at RB and Quinn taking the off-season seriously. Been burned too many times by the 9.95ers to buy into the hype. Show me.

What fun is that shit?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Johntay Cook, Ant Hill Jr, and Kitan name coming up pretty much unanimously is good to hear.

Apparently the players and the coaches are 9.95ers.

We should hope that players get better the longer they are here. If not what are we paying the coaches to do?

17 hours ago, Red Five said:

I can imagine people leaving the spring game saying "Man we're gonna miss Tarique Milton and Aggy Hall a lot more than I thought...."

No, no, Red, pearland needs to see it with his own eyes. Don’t you get it? Until he’s evaluated this whole roster growth and change thing with his.own.eyes. there is no reason to believe a motherfucking thing about this team. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, no, Red, pearland needs to see it with his own eyes. Don’t you get it? Until he’s evaluated this whole roster growth and change thing with his.own.eyes. there is no reason to believe a motherfucking thing about this team. 

All this positivity from usually negative corners has me getting dangerously close to Wulaw territory. 

damn-fine-cup-of-coffee-twin-peaks.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Had we only added the guy who enjoys scoring touchdowns in playoff games, while also jettisoning the dregs of the WR room, we would have upgraded the position by about 40%. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Definitely not buying into the off-season koolaid (yet) until I see at least some improvement in the WR room and DL with my own eyes. Hopefully we see something at the spring game.

You won't. They don't care about the spring game. They just want to get it over with to start summer break. 

19 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

It is nice to see some good news at RB and Quinn taking the off-season seriously. Been burned too many times by the 9.95ers to buy into the hype. Show me.

It’s your brain, not your eyes that you need to use. You don’t think AD Mitchell and a healthy Neyor make the WR position better? Or the best WR recruit (who enrolled early) we have signed since I don’t know when will not improve that position? If you want to be skeptical of 9.95’ers pumping up players that just a few months ago were going to be processed from the program, fine. But that doesn’t mean you need to turn your brain off to the obvious with regards to the WR position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You don’t think AD Mitchell and a healthy Neyor make the WR position better?

They should make the WR's better plus,  if Quin and the O'line are improving as we have been led to believe,  the WR's should be fine.  

31 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It doesn’t matter who your WR is if your QB is afraid. 

I get what you're saying - Ewers did seem like he was seeing ghosts at time last year. But I don't think that's him being afraid at all. Our pass protection was pretty garbage and he took a lot of shots. In the Baylor game it seemed like he had someone in his face every time he dropped back. Yeah, the grounding-for-a-safety play was stupid, but it was the product of learned behavior after a season of collapsed pockets. When he's kept relatively clean, he doesn't play scared at all. 

Not saying he's perfect, but "afraid" is the wrong word. 

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

Johntay Cook II (#29 overall) is the best WR Texas has signed since Devin Duvernay (#37 in 2016) or Jake Smith (was #49 in 2019)

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

Worthy was #62 overall. Eagles was #61. Ryan Niblett was #64

Cook is the #32 all time highest Texas prospect. Baxter was #28. Arch Manning was #2 behind VY. Anthony Hill was #18. Devon Campbell was tied for #10.

Texas brought in a ton of high end talent in the last 2 classes.

So the last WR rated higher than Cook coming in was?? I'm assuming it was BJ Johnson followed in the same class by Roy Williams. They were like the #1 and #3 rated WRs in the country with Rogers (went to MSU and was a nut but crazy good, can't remember his first name and he eventually flamed out with something stabbing related, I think), Sloan Thomas at like #9 and a top 100 national guy as well. Tony Jefferies wasn't rated as highly but was in the same class. The Big 3 + 1. Good memories. 

Maybe Shipley was higher than #29 but I don't think so. Can't think of anyone else even in the same ballpark outside of what you already mentioned.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

Johntay Cook II (#29 overall) is the best WR Texas has signed since Devin Duvernay (#37 in 2016) or Jake Smith (was #49 in 2019)

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

Worthy was #62 overall. Eagles was #61. Ryan Niblett was #64

Cook is the #32 all time highest Texas prospect. Baxter was #28. Arch Manning was #2 behind VY. Anthony Hill was #18. Devon Campbell was tied for #10.

Texas brought in a ton of high end talent in the last 2 classes.

sylvester-stallone-fuck-shit-up.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So the last WR rated higher than Cook coming in was?? I'm assuming it was BJ Johnson followed in the same class by Roy Williams. They were like the #1 and #3 rated WRs in the country with Rogers (went to MSU and was a nut but crazy good, can't remember his first name and he eventually flamed out with something stabbing related, I think), Sloan Thomas at like #9 and a top 100 national guy as well. Tony Jefferies wasn't rated as highly but was in the same class. The Big 3 + 1. Good memories. 

Maybe Shipley was higher than #29 but I don't think so. Can't think of anyone else even in the same ballpark outside of what you already mentioned.

Charles Rogers 

I just tried to find the class rankings for 2000 and the idiots at Rivals have deleted them from their database. They did something idiotic and recent, because the search engines still flash results. I'm sure some dipshit wiped "old pages" recently, not understanding the stupidity of it. The only thing I could find besides that was Lemming's rankings that year. He had Rogers #1 and Johnson #9 nationally at any position. Roy was like #41. Lemming was always trash with his Notre Dame bias as well as his overranking of players north of the Mason-Dixon line. If he thought BJJ was #9, that dude was absolutely rated by Rivals around there too.

27 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Mike Davis?

Good call as these records haven't been deleted by Rivals or 247 year. It looks like he was a number 13 composite, so he'd be the right answer. I remember him being a top 100 guy, so I was surprised to see how highly-rated he finished.

Edited by closetojumping

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

tom sandoval GIF by The Hills

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

most recent WR rated higher than Cook was Mike Davis in 2010.

Top ~10 WR by 247 composite scores

• BJ Johnson, 2000 #7 overall
  • Mike Davis, 2010 #13 overall
  • Roy Williams, 2000 #18 overall
  • *John Chiles was an ATH, but in 2007 was #21 overall
  • Marquis Johnson, 2002 #24 overall
  • Johntay Cook II, 2023 #29 overall
  • Darius White, 2010 #27 overall
  • *Jordan Whittington was an ATH, but in 2019 was #34 overall
  • Sloan Thomas, 2000, #35 overall
  • Devin Duvernay, 2016, #37 overall
  • Dan Bucker, 208, #38 overall
  • DeSean Hales, 2008 #53 overall 

Jaxon Shipley was #92 overall, Jordan was #122

Cook is the highest rated WR since Jake Smith who was #49 in 2019 and #11 on the list above, 0.0004 behind Hales in "score"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I just tried to find the class rankings for 2000 and the idiots at Rivals have deleted them from their database. They did something idiotic and recent, because the search engines still flash results. I'm sure some dipshit wiped "old pages" recently, not understanding the stupidity of it. The only thing I could find besides that was Lemming's rankings that year. He had Rogers #1 and Johnson #9 nationally at any position. Roy was like #41. Lemming was always trash with his Notre Dame bias as well as his overranking of players north of the Mason-Dixon line. If he thought BJJ was #9, that dude was absolutely rated by Rivals around there too.

Good call as these records haven't been deleted by Rivals or 247 year. It looks like he was a number 13 composite, so he'd be the right answer. I remember him being a top 100 guy, so I was surprised to see how highly-rated he finished.

here are the individual player rankings: https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Board/120/Contents/Rivals-top-100-from-2000-and-2001-20824866/

BJ Johnson was #3

Roy was #15

Mock was #30

Adam Doloron was #37

Brock Edwards was #49

Stevie Lee was #56

Adam Black was #88

I knew Cook was going to be an immediate contributor/player when I saw the videos of him training with Evan Stewart and Cook looked just as good if not better in some aspects.   What has me even more excited is that many players have mentioned Moore as the standout freshman of the early enrollees.  Seems like Sark knows how to evaluate WRs and can get the elite ones on campus which is refreshing considering all the busts that have come through Texas the last decade with the exception of the 2018 year with CJ, LJH, and Duvernay.

• Hook 'Em 2

WR room looks loaded for sure. The only real question is health. Whittington has a terrible injury history. AD Mitchell missed most of the season at Georgia. Neyor is coming off ACL. Even Worthy played with a broken hand. As always, the most important ability is avail-ability. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

IT Humidor (Thursday and Friday practice)

Spoiler

Alrighty. Spring ball continued with back to back practices on Thursday and Friday. Not much was to be gleaned on Thursday as the team was in helmets. Friday was a bit more interesting due to scrimmage work, but there’s an important caveat we’ll get to regarding that.

The most interesting thing on Thursday was Cameron Williams got significant reps at right guard. Previously he’s dabbled at the position but this time he was more involved. It wasn’t a padded practice so it’s hard to glean how he looked, but much of O-line play is mental and technical, not just athletic and physical, so he got in some needed work. One source effectively stated it might be a race between DJ Campbell and Williams to see who ‘gets it’ first. It seems the staff really wants Campbell to grab the position by the horns but he hasn’t quite done that yet. Given Williams’ talent level, he’s not just token competition but a real threat to Campbell’s playing time. Cole Hutson, upon his return, will also be a real threat but he hasn’t been available this spring. 

If the staff had its druthers I believe the long term preference is Hutson (or Connor Robertson) at center, Campbell at guard, and Williams at right tackle. Williams is not much of a threat to Christian Jonesfor this season, however, and Hutson and Robertson have Jake Majors in front of them.

Moving on to Friday, the thud tempo scrimmage was largely 1s vs 2s and it went about as expected. “Whatever first string was in there did well. First team offense ran it down the second team defense’s throat.” This is where Cedric Baxterreally looked the part running downhill, aided of course by the O-line being able to move the line of scrimmage. Jaydon Blue and Savion Red both looked solid. They’re both good outside/cutback runners. Blue showed good feel and vision but needs to work on ball protection some.

Hayden Conner took some second team reps at center which opened the door for Neto Umeozulu to play left guard. As opposed to Thursday when Williams played the bulk of his reps at right guard, he was switching back and forth between tackle and guard. 

Quinn Ewers had a good, efficient day (again, 1s vs 2s). He was quick through his progressions which is something that has improved throughout camp. The offense was also able to confuse the second team defense some. Ewers had a nice red zone touchdown throw to Gunnar Helm on a scramble. 

Speaking of Helm, he’s being integrated into the passing game more. That’s more evidence of the team’s expected 11 personnel identity for 2023. If something happened to Ja’Tavion Sanders the coaches would need Helm having familiarity with Sanders’ role and on the same page with Ewers. 

Defensive playmakers on the day were Austin Jordan, who had an interception; Terrance Brooks, who forced a fumble; and, Anthony Hill who was violent and assignment sound in his run fits.

A few other sourced miscellaneous notes: 

— Ethan Burke is playing the run better. He still has a tall order versus Kelvin Banks and Jones, but he’s improved quite a bit. He’s looking like your starter at Buck.

— Twice now we’ve heard about Zac Swanson making some plays. Since he’s always been a longer curve player we haven’t discussed him much but he’s coming on. Good quickness, good motor, and he’ll battle. Only 260 pounds, though, so he’ll probably need this offseason and next to be ready for real snaps.

— Quinn is harnessing some of what Paul has called ‘positive insecurity’. Ewers thinks Arch Manning is right on his heels. That will make them both better. Based on what we’re hearing, Ewers leaving after this year isn’t really on his radar. He’s focused on the process of getting better and that’s it.

The book on Arch coming into Texas has been true to form. As a quarterback “he’s good at everything, very prepared, and though he’s fun and can be light-hearted, he’s very competitive.”

The team will return to workouts on Monday and the practice field on Tuesday for the final week of Spring ball. 

• Hook 'Em 9

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You might try using the Wayback Machine, a web crawler that archives websites. It's searchable by website address and will show years of archival. Can be hit and miss though, and if you try to use one of the archived site's search functions or several layers deep links, it often comes up dry. But, if that doesn't work, you can also try other websites which may have covered the rankings in articles. It's a bookmark worthy link I've made a lot of use of over the years.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think that's correct. I've always heard GH, Ketch, BobbyBurton, & Jeff Howe refer to the 2002 recruiting cycle as the 1st internet recruiting cycle. Plus I've been following CFB recruiting since during the 2004 recruiting cycle & I've NEVER seen any pre-2002 recruiting rankings, recruit profiles, or team rankings on either Rivals or Scout's websites.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I don't think that's correct. I've always heard GH, Ketch, BobbyBurton, & Jeff Howe refer to the 2002 recruiting cycle as the 1st internet recruiting cycle. Plus I've been following CFB recruiting since during the 2004 recruiting cycle & I've NEVER seen any pre-2002 recruiting rankings, recruit profiles, or team rankings on either Rivals or Scout's websites.

I think 2000 was the first internet recruiting cycle because that was the year they held the first army all american bowl and it was in dallas.  I went and I remember marcus spears was playing in it and I remember seeing his rivals recruiting profile on the internet.

Edited by futureman

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

1) username checking the fuck out. 

2) by “Wulaw territory” are you pondering driving an RV into a mountainside while gargling Seven Loss Steve’s balls? Don’t go there, sir. 

You are just jealous because we’ve made 2 bets ever and you’ve lost them both- PM incoming good sir.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic