2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently, they really like the fact that he’s a passionate hothead. I’ve heard it on multiple occasions. He’s an angry dickhead focused solely on winning football games and they are looking for more guys like that. 

He must post here, then.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some Saturday practice notes via Suchomel

Hide contents

--- Quinn Ewers had a long touchdown pass to Casey Cain. Ewers dropped it right in his bread basket off of his back foot. Perfect throw per one source.

--- As @Alex Dunlap reported earlier this week, Ethan Burke was getting some run with the 1s.

--- Malik Muhammad got some run with the 1s at corner when the defense was in the nickel package. 

--- Arch had a nice “high step” scramble for about 10 yards when he was able to elude some pressure.

--- I’m told Casey Cain had multiple nice plays. He had the long TD mentioned above, and then had another long catch and run where he juked the safety and would have a big gain. AD Mitchell was held out of the early portion of practice. One person told me Mitchell was in pads but was chilling on the sideline during the early part of practice but he came in later.

--- Morice Blackwell had an interception off of Maalik Murphy. The ball went through the WRs hands (believe it was DeAndre Moore) and Blackwell got the INT.

--- DJ Campbell had a couple really nice plays, per one source.

--- Savion Red continues to play well. Per one source, he had a nice run where he threw Justice Finkley off of him while Finkley tried to make the tackle in the backfield. Even the defense was impressed with that play.

--- Gavin Holmes had an interception off of Ewers on a ball that went off the TE’s hands. Gunnar Helm kind of lost the ball while it was in the air and Holmes turned around at the last minute and the ball was right there. It was actually a good throw, but the target didn’t really help Quinn out.

--- I didn’t get a ton of detail on Arch, but one person said he really showed off some arm strength on a perfectly-placed 15-yard out throw.

--- It sounds like both back-up quarterbacks got some work with the 2s and with the 3s.

--- Austin Jordan had an INT with the backups (I believe the 3s) that probably would have gone back for a pick-6 in live action.

--- Kitan Crawford continues to run with the 1s. One person told me when Crawford knows what to do, a case can be made that he’s the best safety on the team. The problem, he still has some occasional mental lapses.

--- Barryn Sorrell and Alfred Collins were working with the 1s at end.

--- Jordan Whittington and Jahdae Barron both made some plays. So did Jaylon Ford. Business as usual with those guys.

--- Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore both got work as punt returners

--- Kitan Crawford continues to run with the 1s. One person told me when Crawford knows what to do, a case can be made that he’s the best safety on the team. The problem, he still has some occasional mental lapses.

that seems like the most honest report I have seen on a player. The most physically gifted player in the secondary is good when he knows where to be, but the guy that looked completely lost last year still has mental lapses (at a position that you can’t have any)

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/1/2023 at 4:25 PM, closetojumping said:

Hawt take, right there, immamac. Like, that shit is hawter than whore in church level shit. 

It’s time for you to regroup and pull yourself together. Your vagina has been flapping all over this thread. 

Apparently, they really like the fact that he’s a passionate hothead. I’ve heard it on multiple occasions. He’s an angry dickhead focused solely on winning football games and they are looking for more guys like that. 

It has been 14 plus years since we had any angry dickheads focused on winning and wanting to inflict pain felt for generations. I’ll take it 

On 4/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, closetojumping said:

Hawt take, right there, immamac. Like, that shit is hawter than whore in church level shit. 

It’s time for you to regroup and pull yourself together. Your vagina has been flapping all over this thread. 

Winning programs need guys like Red.  That 2005 team had a “we’re gonna fuck you up” attitude and played like it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, closetojumping said:

they really like the fact that he’s a passionate hothead. I’ve heard it on multiple occasions. He’s an angry dickhead focused solely on winning 

On 4/1/2023 at 6:38 PM, Huckleberry said:

Winner. That's the definition of a winner. 

College Basketball Applause GIF by NCAA March Madness

On 4/2/2023 at 4:25 AM, closetojumping said:

Some people will never like him, and he will never give a fuck.

• Haha 4

On 4/1/2023 at 4:25 PM, closetojumping said:

they really like the fact that he’s a passionate hothead. I’ve heard it on multiple occasions. He’s an angry dickhead focused solely on winning football games

That describes everyone on the 85 Chicago Bears defense.

Some Bobby Burton thoughts. The math in the two sentences below made me laugh.

The Longhorns are officially two-thirds of the way through spring practice. They’ve completed nine of their 15 NCAA-allotted practices.

A few things to note:

– The receivers and DBs are legit. AD Mitchell gives Texas a one-on-one pass catcher down the field. That alone changes how defenses can attack the Horns. Plus, every major receiver from a year ago has returned and Isaiah Neyor is on the mend. Add in two quality freshman receivers who have been perhaps better than anticipated, and you have a WR room that is going to be one of the nation’s best.

In the secondary, Jahdae Barron, Ryan Watts and Jerrin Thompson are all proven, solid Big 12 defenders. Add in Gavin Holmes and Jalen Catalon, plus the ramp up of Terrance Brooks and you have a secondary that easily goes six deep. And that doesn’t include Kitan Crawford or perhaps Malik Muhammad who has drawn rave reviews to date.

At receiver and DB, the Horns have more depth than at any time in the last 10 years.

– Quinn Ewers is the starting QB. While Arch Manning has looked good in spots, Ewers has held down the no. 1 job from the start.

– Running back by committee. With Jonathan Brooks being treated with kid gloves while healing from surgery, it’s led to a variety of RBs getting a chance to show what they can do. But none of them have stepped up enough to be “the” guy ahead of, or even behind, Brooks. It looks like this is going to be a position to watch headed into summer.

– The Horns are light at TE. Beyond JT Sanders, the Horns need a bigger bodied TE that can help move piles. Gunnar Helm is one possible solution but they need another. Look for the portal to be a possibility.

– The OL is searching for 8 solid dudes to head into the season. They likely have that with the emergence of Neto Umeozulu, DJ Campbell and Cam Williams. However, Kyle Flood is still trying to figure out which piece goes where in the OL jigsaw puzzle. One thing: the Horns still need a back-up center.

– At linebacker, David Gbenda looks like the current starter opposite Jaylan Ford.

– Where is the pass rush going to come from? It looks like Ethan Burke is starting to distinguish himself somewhat. However, don’t be surprised if the Horns still attempt to find someone in the portal with more experience and more ability against the run.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I bet a guy like Goram-Welch ends up playing a bunch of tight end. I wonder what kind of moneyline one could get on him scoring >1 touchdown

you should definitely go check. I’m sure FanDuel has a .5 O/U on some guy like GSW scoring a TD this year. 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

– The OL is searching for 8 solid dudes to head into the season. They likely have that with the emergence of Neto Umeozulu, DJ Campbell and Cam Williams. However, Kyle Flood is still trying to figure out which piece goes where in the OL jigsaw puzzle. One thing: the Horns still need a back-up center.

FIFY

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

All these references to Ethan Burke do not give me a the warm and fuzzies about our pass rush, which I guess is to be expected. And before the Westlake Honks get pissy, I’m sure he’s a great kid from a great family who bleeds burnt orange. 

If it makes you feel any better they're saying that Kris Ross is starting to look really good at his new position.

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

All these references to Ethan Burke do not give me a the warm and fuzzies about our pass rush, which I guess is to be expected. And before the Westlake Honks get pissy, I’m sure he’s a great kid from a great family who bleeds burnt orange. 

I agree…if that’s the guy that looks like Thujone drew him

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am far from a westlake honk, but Burke has always been the guy at edge with the highest ceiling in terms of having rare athleticism at his size plus a ton of room to build out his frame. He also plays with a high motor and is not afraid to mix it up. If he can get his lower body to the point of being able to anchor against the run he could be a problem for opposing teams. 

Ditto.   He played "spy" late in the game last year and showed great speed making a tackle on the far sideline.   He does not look like a football player but he could end up as a good one.  

46 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

All these references to Ethan Burke do not give me the warm and fuzzies about our pass rush, which I guess is to be expected. And before the Westlake Honks get pissy, I’m sure he’s a great kid from a great family who bleeds burnt orange. 

Don’t be a pussy 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

All these references to Ethan Burke do not give me the warm and fuzzies about our pass rush, which I guess is to be expected. And before the Westlake Honks get pissy, I’m sure he’s a great kid from a great family who bleeds burnt orange. 

This aint Brecklyn Hager in Tom Herman's coaching staff. I'm sure these D coaches know what a real edge rusher is supposed to be. And if he's playing well against our All American left tackle, then I'm pretty sure he's more than a "Westlake Honk".

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This aint Brecklyn Hager in Tom Herman's coaching staff. I'm sure these D coaches know what a real edge rusher is supposed to be. And if he's playing well against our All American left tackle, then I'm pretty sure he's more than a "Westlake Honk".

how dare you disrespect one of the legends to wear #60

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If it makes you feel any better they're saying that Kris Ross is starting to look really good at his new position.

Really disappointed that I have not heard much on Tapp. He is far and away the best athlete at the spot with the highest upside. He was always raw, but I was hoping to hear a little more buzz about him. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Really disappointed that I have not heard much on Tapp. He is far and away the best athlete at the spot and the highest upside. He was always raw, but I was hoping to hear a little more buzz about him. 

I think his issues are more mental than physical.

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

You’re assuming these reports mean anything

It's the off-season, they mean EVERYTHING! haha

A healthy Hager as Edge would do great in this system. A one-armed end in a 3-4, he sucked.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I get that. Half the reports are nonsense. The 3rd string RB looks amazing, but they dont tell you that was vs the 3rd string defense filled with walk-ons (just an example). Still like a little kool-aid

24 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

A healthy Hager as Edge would do great in this system. A one-armed end in a 3-4, he sucked.

lol wut. Hager would've sucked in this system too. His problem wasn't being too small. It was shooting up field every play with no idea what he was doing and never thinking.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. Hager would've sucked in this system too. His problem wasn't being too small. It was shooting up field every play with no idea what he was doing and never thinking.

yeah he was pretty dominant in high school though. 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That wasn't required in the previous administration...

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Possible he was not coached & developed by the previous regime??

could’ve he been better with better coaching and development??

the world may never knowGIF by MLB

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I get that. Half the reports are nonsense. The 3rd string RB looks amazing, but they dont tell you that was vs the 3rd string defense filled with walk-ons (just an example). Still like a little kool-aid

IT guys mentioned that Red may be our best short yardage back so he has that going for him.

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Some Bobby Burton thoughts. The math in the two sentences below made me laugh.

The Longhorns are officially two-thirds of the way through spring practice. They’ve completed nine of their 15 NCAA-allotted practices.

Compromise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

We always seem to have reports of great QB/WR plays in the offseason, and then we can't make even the simplest of the catches during the season. Not going to drink any kool-aid this offseason. 

• Rage+1 1

As a sophomore, Hager had 6 sacks and 13.5 TFLs. That would have made him the Lawrence Taylor of our defense the past couple of years. He then switched positions for the 3rd time and played interior under Orlando, and with one arm. Given his pedigree, I think he’d been fine as a coached up Edge rusher.

LOL wut on your bad take.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

As a sophomore, Hager had 6 sacks and 13.5 TFLs. That would have made him the Lawrence Taylor of our defense the past couple of years. He then switched positions for the 3rd time and played interior under Orlando, and with one arm. Given his pedigree, I think he’d been fine as a coached up Edge rusher.

LOL wut on your bad take.

He was a human whistling bottle rocket.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic