2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are you comfortable with the depth at linebacker?

Sure. It's young, but they're high on all of them. They only trot two out there plenty of the time anyway.

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Gbenda or somebody stepping up would be great. We all love Hill but freshmen linebackers are trash. Derrick Johnson is the only good one Ive ever seen here and that's an impossible standard. Also Im pretty sure they even brought DJ along somewhat slowly with what they asked of him

Mack Brown was a pussy with freshman. Derrick Johnson made plays every time he was put on the field from game 1. Tyrone Jones, Everick Rawls and DD Lewis did nothing as well as he did when he was out there, and they all had years of experience. If Anthony Hill is in the same neighborhood of that ability, he needs to be starting from the jump. Gbenda has shown us nothing to merit further consideration if the freshmen look good. They're raving about Lefau as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sure. It's young, but they're high on all of them. They only trot two out there plenty of the time anyway.

Mack Brown was a pussy with freshman. Derrick Johnson made plays every time he was put on the field from game 1. Tyrone Jones, Everick Rawls and DD Lewis did nothing as well as he did when he was out there, and they all had years of experience. If Anthony Hill is in the same neighborhood of that ability, he needs to be starting from the jump. Gbenda has shown us nothing to merit further consideration if the freshmen look good. They're raving about Lefau as well. 

If all the hype about Lefau is there then he will be a really good replacement next year for Ford and what  the defense ask of that position. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

In sounding like a broken record, the only gap on this team that isn’t playoff quality is edge/DE. I’m less optimistic than CTJ about the position, but I’ve always been more pessimistic about Burke, Finkley and Tapp so it’s not surprising. If I’m wrong and I hope I am, this is a playoff team if we get the QB play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Well fuck me for trying to start a substantive discussion, I guess. Let me rename the categories and move Watts and Collins. I'll also throw Gbenda and Crawford in there. 

Re: Ewers, I think he's a first round pick next year, but I didn't have him in the locks category because there are conceivable scenarios where he returns. What if he tears his ACL in the fall? Another year could significantly improve his grade. Spencer Rattler went from projected first overall to undrafted in a year, so it's always possible, hence my hedging. Worthy would be a case of improving stock, but again, I think he's 99% gone next year. 

The third category was my bad. I meant guys that are seniors+, hence locks to go pro, but that they might not be drafted. I think Watts has his COVID year though.

Locks: Sweat, Ford, Jones, Barron, Collins, Sanders

Should be locks Will go pro barring disaster: Worthy, Ewers

I'd say locks but they might be UDFA Out of eligibility and probably UDFA: Robinson, Whittington, Watts

Theoretically could happen: Murphy, Sorrell, Brooks, Crawford, Gbenda

I think they'll have eligibility and questionable pro prospects: Majors, Thompson

?s: Catalon, Mitchell, Holmes

“What if he tears his ACL in the fall?” @Bodacious Bevo

By this logic nobody can be a lock. Just stop while you are behind. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hmmm, good question. There is nothing in his decision-making history to indicate that he might do whatever he can to leave a program prematurely and abruptly. Can’t figure out why anyone would think he’d do it either. 

So if he has an okay year, doesn't see himself drafted in the first few rounds, and has a kick-ass team coming back, he's definitely leaving anyway because fuck it, gotcha.

Just now, Irieguy said:

“What if he tears his ACL in the fall?” @Bodacious Bevo

By this logic nobody can be a lock. Just stop while you are behind. 

Look man, the two categories (lock vs. should be lock) were splitting hairs from the start. It was just my attempt to distinguish from guys who are definitely going to the NFL next year (mostly upperclassmen) from underclassmen that could conceivably entertain returning with a bad year, hence the Rattler example. I'm high on both guys and not really interested a pedantic argument. Not sure why you're so offended. 

I'll leave this at saying I'm expecting Quinn, X, and the rest of the team to ball out this year. Conference chip here we come. 

PS I appreciate that you tag me whenever you insult me. I would have missed the quote notifications. 

• Haha 2

Okay next topic of discussion 

season 9 meeting GIF

Sark mentioned there will be attrition at the end of spring. Anyone care to take a guess at who that might be?? As well as who might be coming in?? 

Burton thinks we will still be in play for another TE as well as a good DE prospect. 

as far as the ones that might leave 

I’m not sure,

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

season 9 meeting GIF

Sark mentioned there will be attrition at the end of spring. Anyone care to take a guess at who that might be?? As well as who might be coming in?? 

Burton thinks we will still be in play for another TE as well as a good DE prospect. 

I’m not sure,

There are always going to be 10-15 guys on the roster that are candidates to leave due to missed evaluation, lack of PT, injuries, or off the field transgressions. None of that hurts. There are multiple guys that are going to be encouraged to leave here shortly. Several were encouraged in the winter and surprisingly stuck around.

There will be attrition on the OL. We might not like part of it. 

There might be attrition at Edge. 

There will be attrition at S. 

There will be attrition at WR. I don't see Alexis coming back, at a minimum.

There will be attrition at QB. Any chance Charles Wright gets his undergrad this spring?

I won't surprised by attrition at LB. 

I won't be surprised by attrition that hurts a little bit after the spring beyond just the OL. Not crying in pain hurt, but hurts nonetheless.

Outside of TE, they will be watching for targets of opportunity, particularly if Red works out at the TB position.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know what he'll do, but the guy (and his dad) wanted to so badly grab the bag that he pushed all of his senior classes forward into summer sessions and left high school a year early. Then, when facing stiff competition, which should sound familiar, he and his dad negotiated a considerable NIL deal at Texas and left OSU after one semester. If you think he's going to stick around on campus if the NFL offers even a mid-round draft grade, you haven't been paying attention. If he's facing getting beaten out by Manning at Texas and someone is willing to give him more NIL dollars elsewhere in college, and you think he'll be staying, you haven't been paying attention.

Threading the needle of Ewers returning to Texas for 2024 is such a narrow premise that it feels absurd. He'd have to have clearly established himself as a starter over Manning for 2024 and also not had a strong enough season for the NFL to give him a mid-round draft grade. That only happens in the universe that is the random aggie mind.

Appreciate the real answer, which is that I haven't been paying enough attention. I must be caught up in the old way, because the idea that he'd bolt after a good-but-not-great year because he's scared of a redshirt freshman (even Arch) didn't enter my mind.

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Here's the deal. there are no locks, as far as NFL financial security.  How many guys have you seen that were "locks" wash the fuck out for whatever reason?   Now this is not to say you cannot certainly identify NFL level physiques and skill sets, but even for guys like Bijan shit has to fall into place.  What if  Sark had ridden him like a pony and worn his body down and created nagging injuries?  We would for sure have a better record, but Bijan might not be healthy.

I do think you can say absolutely certain guys are locks to get long looks by the NFL, and that's honestly all a young player can ask for.  Maybe you can play for a year or two, or maybe 10 if you are a bad ass.  But one of the great things about The University of Texas that if you use your head, you can parlay your game days into a healthy income outside the 3.3 years the average NFL player plays.  

Probably the single biggest factor for all the players as far as NFL consideration? WIN FUCKING GAMES!!!!  When you team wins a lot everyone looks better, the talent pool goes stronger, and in the eyes of NFL scouts this helps all boats rise on the tide.  Have a single break out season on a Natty contender and you are gonna get a sniff for sure.  Have that same season on an 8-4 team... and you won't get a sniff at all.  

Of course feel free to disagree, but winning and winning consistently is how you get more guys from individual classes into the big show.  We seem to be on the verge of having solid two deep talent.  We seem to be at point where the leadership of upperclassmen is where it needs to be to take the next step forward.  The more steps the team takes forward the more of the good guys get a real opportunity to earn a job in the NFL.  But if all of them were smart they would be pressing the flesh of UT alums as often as they can, because for the vast majority of our players that is where their earnings are going to come from.  

OR maybe the all save their NIL money, live conservatively, and have long NFL careers! 😉

@hornlife This might have been true 30 years ago but it isn’t anymore. With the Internet and increased scouting capabilities everybody gets scouted regardless of Division or win/loss record. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

There is probably some unspoken stuff going on where everyone expects Manning to be the QB in 2024.

I don't think it's even unspoken. The Mannings wanted a place where the recruit could redshirt without pressure, then start as a redshirt. Beyond that, they wanted a big market and school brand for obvious NIL reasons. They also wanted a credible QB coach on the staff. Texas checked every box. No one expects Ewers back in 2024. I mean, no one. Whether it's the NFL or something else.

• Hook 'Em 9

Hill also will have had a full spring and summer to get acclimated. It's not like he's just showing up in August trying to figure things out on the fly. Enrolling early gives him a big headstart. It makes what Banks did last fall seem even more impressive. 

A freshman lined up to another freshman is where you can get problems. A freshman mixed in with a bunch of experienced, solid guys is another deal. We are in pretty close to an ideal situation to insert an inexperienced LB. Lots of quality returning upfront. Experience next to and behind him.

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Threading the needle of Ewers returning to Texas for 2024 is such a narrow premise that it feels absurd. He'd have to have clearly established himself as a starter over Manning for 2024 and also not had a strong enough season for the NFL to give him a mid-round draft grade. That only happens in the universe that is the random aggie mind.

Fair points but over the last 13 years I've noticed that absurd things happen to Texas with unsettling regularity. 

• Rage+1 3

In sounding like a broken record, the only gap on this team that isn’t playoff quality is edge/DE. I’m less optimistic than CTJ about the position, but I’ve always been more pessimistic about Burke, Finkley and Tapp so it’s not surprising. If I’m wrong and I hope I am, this is a playoff team if we get the QB play. 

What would do it for you?

We created a considerable amount of pressure last year but struggled to get the QB to the turf. Part of that was the first half of the season in which the intermediate middle of the field was left open. Closing that up should hel the pass rush.

But if Sorrell gets double digit sacks and the leader on the opposite side gets 5, will that do it for you? Assuming pressure up the middle continues.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are always going to be 10-15 guys on the roster that are candidates to leave due to missed evaluation, lack of PT, injuries, or off the field transgressions. None of that hurts. There are multiple guys that are going to be encouraged to leave here shortly. Several were encouraged in the winter and surprisingly stuck around.

There will be attrition on the OL. We might not like part of it. 

There might be attrition at Edge. 

There will be attrition at S. 

There will be attrition at WR. I don't see Alexis coming back, at a minimum.

There will be attrition at QB. Any chance Charles Wright gets his undergrad this spring?

I won't surprised by attrition at LB. 

I won't be surprised by attrition that hurts a little bit after the spring beyond just the OL. Not crying in pain hurt, but hurts nonetheless.

Outside of TE, they will be watching for targets of opportunity, particularly if Red works out at the TB position.

The obvious guys to me would seem to be:

Jaden Alexis, Casey Cain, Sawyer Goram-Welch, Maalik Murphy, Braden Liebrock, Austin Jordan, Xavion Brice, Zac Swanson, Derrick Brown, Trevell Johnson

The maybe guys could potentially include:

David Gbenda, JMond Tapp, Malik Agbo, Kitan Crawford, BJ Allen, LTG, Jaydon Blue

The noooooooooo guys could include:

Neto, Cam Williams, DJ Campbell, Savion Red

And finally, the fuck you Tom Herman for this albatross scholarship that we can't catapult into the sun for two more years because of bmd parents:

Max Merrill

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

season 9 meeting GIF

I’m not sure,

review the grid put together by @AP101S

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1253781136

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Savion would be pretty weird. 

I was thinking Agbo. He may not get serious PT for a few years. 

Agbo seems to be the farthest down the depth chart, especially when Hutson comes back or if they move Cam inside to guard. If Cam displaces Campbell, then I could see a scenario where Campbell gets pissed and transfers. Savion seems pretty hot headed and could be prone to go Antonio Brown style decision making if he doesn't like what he sees.

Regarding practice reports, most of the feedback the writers not named Burton or Hamilton are getting is coming from the player side. That's specious data, to be kind. Kitan Crawford and Gbenda specifically are *not* getting the same reviews from the staff side that the guys playing beside them are offering. 
The staff is really happy with what they're seeing across the board, which wasn't true in either the '21 or '22 spring. 
Collins looks like he woke up and decided to play up to his perceived talent level.
Holmes is way better than they thought and they liked him enough to make him a priority in the portal.
The DL is going to be good. The D is going to be good. There's depth everywhere. Edge might not be a strength, but the floor is high and will be buoyed by the interior DL as a strength, as well as coverage in the secondary.
Ewers is going to have a great fall. You dipshits need to stop feeding the troll. Ghost of Shag shows up regularly with a machine gun loaded to the gills with hawt takes and just starts wildly firing them across the site.
Moore has amazing hands and Cook looks like he was worthy of the ranking and hype. If it isn't the best WR room in CFB, it's top 5 at worst.

So one the spectrum ranging from billowy assholes to gorilla boofing, where are we going to be?

Oh and pyrite is FeS2. So calling it iron pyrite is redundantly redundant.

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

The eternally injured TE from Arizona may be a blast at the Burnt Endz parties, but he needs to take a medical leave at a minimum. Unfortunate, but sometimes things don’t work out.

This already happened. He’s not on the roster, he’s just done with football. Bad shoulder and being able to slay pussy without needing to be on the team made this an inevitability.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Harold Perkins may have been the best player on LSU’s team last year, so freshmen 5-star linebackers sometimes can be difference makers in Year 1, a far cry from “trash.”

Perkins was excellent. LSU really did not ask much of him. He played outside. I have said Anthony Hill's upside is going to based on what the coaches ask of him. He will likely struggle, when he has to make reads. His talent will show when he can just go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I cannot believe the 9.95’ers write about Crawford and Gbenda suddenly getting it and playing like quality starters. Actually, I can. What I cannot believe is that there are still people who fall for that shit every year. You watch DeSaun Hales is going to shred up Big 12 secondaries this year! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This already happened. He’s not on the roster, he’s just done with football. Bad shoulder and being able to slay pussy without needing to be on the team made this an inevitability.

Thanks for the update, I looked and saw he was on the roster earlier this year and hadn’t heard he left the team. His Twitter says he’s a “Texas grad,” so good for BL. As the owner of two f’ed up shoulders, I know they are difficult to get right. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Harold Perkins may have been the best player on LSU’s team last year, so freshmen 5-star linebackers sometimes can be difference makers in Year 1, a far cry from “trash.”

If I’m not mistaken he didn’t really start coming on until a little ways into the season. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Hill also will have had a full spring and summer to get acclimated. It's not like he's just showing up in August trying to figure things out on the fly. Enrolling early gives him a big headstart. It makes what Banks did last fall seem even more impressive. 

Don’t forget the new contact rules for summer workouts as well that started last year. 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

So one the spectrum ranging from billowy assholes to gorilla boofing, where are we going to be?

Oh and pyrite is FeS2. So calling it iron pyrite is redundantly redundant.

Copper pyrite would like a word with you. (As long as we're being technical and straying briefly away from important topics like Futureman and 80s hype videos)

18 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Just quoting. So arch seems like the real deal so far? Obviously not good enough to supplant Ewers since he decided to get his stuff together but other than that?

Arch is the real deal, but playing behind the 2nd team line is causing him to have some freshman moments from what I have heard. Anyone thinking he was going to challenge QE year one is just wish casting or trying to generate headlines. 

9 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Ewers should be a lock? Do you guys understand the leap he would have to make in play to go pro after next season? He was atrocious. Some of the shittiest quarterback play I have ever seen.

The only practice reports I care about are the ones about Ewers and there hasn’t been much other than “he’s more serious” and “getting more vocal.”

The idea that he should be a lock to go pro is some widespread Surly narrative that only holds merit in fantasy.

Uhhhh these guys are considered top 10 locks for this years draft 

Will Levis and Anthony Richardson 

50FA65EE-77B2-4FC2-88FD-2D4A582A6835.jpeg

9272ACE3-ACD7-4178-8303-A82AAF357034.jpeg

It’s based on potential.  He’s got a cannon arm and will look great throwing in front of scouts during a pro day, combine setting.  He’ll get drafted strictly off that even if he doesn’t make a jump (which he will with the better line, weapons he has this year.)

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
  • Hook 'Em 4

Wow all the hype we hear on Holmes but Brooks is slated as the starter. I’m sure they all will get reps but hopefully this means Brooks is balling out and not just giving it up to Holmes 

Think it’s safe to say the CB position as well as others, we will definitely have a higher level of play.  When you know someone can come in and replace you those dumb mistakes tend to be at a minimum 

Edited by D3zii

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If we had some ham, we could have ham & eggs. If we had some eggs.

• Drool 2

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding practice reports, most of the feedback the writers not named Burton or Hamilton are getting is coming from the player side. That's specious data, to be kind. Kitan Crawford and Gbenda specifically are *not* getting the same reviews from the staff side that the guys playing beside them are offering. 

The staff is really happy with what they're seeing across the board, which wasn't true in either the '21 or '22 spring. 

Collins looks like he woke up and decided to play up to his perceived talent level.

Holmes is way better than they thought and they liked him enough to make him a priority in the portal.

The DL is going to be good. The D is going to be good. There's depth everywhere. Edge might not be a strength, but the floor is high and will be buoyed by the interior DL as a strength, as well as coverage in the secondary.

Ewers is going to have a great fall. You dipshits need to stop feeding the troll. Ghost of Shag shows up regularly with a machine gun loaded to the gills with hawt takes and just starts wildly firing them across the site.

Moore has amazing hands and Cook looks like he was worthy of the ranking and hype. If it isn't the best WR room in CFB, it's top 5 at worst.

Say it with me. Eleven win Esteban. Sarkawinalot. It’s happening. 
if it doesn’t he’s a huge liability, injuries were awful or the big 12 refs buttfucked us OSU in 2016 style 4 or 5 times on the way out the door. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Say it with me. Eleven win Esteban. Sarkawinalot. It’s happening. 
if it doesn’t he’s a huge liability, injuries were awful or the big 12 refs buttfucked us OSU in 2016 style 4 or 5 times on the way out the door. 

I'll take door number 3, Monty!

dfekn4z-b7c1bf9a-b2a5-4570-af98-fb7ace6af354.png

8 hours ago, horn4life said:

Here's the deal. there are no locks, as far as NFL financial security.  How many guys have you seen that were "locks" wash the fuck out for whatever reason?   Now this is not to say you cannot certainly identify NFL level physiques and skill sets, but even for guys like Bijan shit has to fall into place.  What if  Sark had ridden him like a pony and worn his body down and created nagging injuries?  We would for sure have a better record, but Bijan might not be healthy.

I do think you can say absolutely certain guys are locks to get long looks by the NFL, and that's honestly all a young player can ask for.  Maybe you can play for a year or two, or maybe 10 if you are a bad ass.  But one of the great things about The University of Texas that if you use your head, you can parlay your game days into a healthy income outside the 3.3 years the average NFL player plays.  

Probably the single biggest factor for all the players as far as NFL consideration? WIN FUCKING GAMES!!!!  When you team wins a lot everyone looks better, the talent pool goes stronger, and in the eyes of NFL scouts this helps all boats rise on the tide.  Have a single break out season on a Natty contender and you are gonna get a sniff for sure.  Have that same season on an 8-4 team... and you won't get a sniff at all.  

Of course feel free to disagree, but winning and winning consistently is how you get more guys from individual classes into the big show.  We seem to be on the verge of having solid two deep talent.  We seem to be at point where the leadership of upperclassmen is where it needs to be to take the next step forward.  The more steps the team takes forward the more of the good guys get a real opportunity to earn a job in the NFL.  But if all of them were smart they would be pressing the flesh of UT alums as often as they can, because for the vast majority of our players that is where their earnings are going to come from.  

OR maybe the all save their NIL money, live conservatively, and have long NFL careers! 😉

TLDR 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic