2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

Talked to Sweat and Sydir after the game. Sweat seems like he is 6'5" but I think he is listed as 6'3". Sydir was taller than Sweat. Oh, and I think I may have shrunk because I was friends with a decent number of NFL linemen back in the day and Sweat and Sydir seemed bigger than I remembered Mathews, Munchak, Steinkuhler, Chilton and Dawson. And maybe he isn't s tall as Hackemack but he is a lot thicker. Although Hackemack has filled out nicely. That's his dad in the pic I think,

No photo description available.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

17. Deandre Moore had a tough day, but I am still excited about him. Johntay was really good, but his long TD catch was against a walkon in 1 on 1 coverage, so I am not really giving that too much weight. 

Who dropped the TD pass right before Cook's catch?

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I have watched the game through a couple of times so far. Here are my thoughts:

1. AD Mitchell is exactly what Quinn needed. His body control is freaky and he adjusts well to the ball in the air with soft hands.

2. We tend to forget how good Worthy is because of the struggles last season, then we see him running wide open all over the field and I was thinking "Oh yeah, there he is."

3. Aaron Bryant is going to be really valuable in the DL rotation, he just doesn't go backwards very much.

4. Maalik Murphy was excellent, he gave himself a nice cushion heading into the summer for that #2 role.

5. Arch looked like a freshman, but he made good decisions with the ball running for his life behind that line. Maalik got a much cleaner pocket behind the same guys for whatever reason.

6. I found myself very impressed with Conner Stroh. He looks like he can be a guy in that 2 deep if needed next year.

7. Cam Williams has Mike Tyson level punch when he gets his hands on guys. He picked one guy up and threw him a yard or two in the air. He did really well at guard and tackle.
8. Kelvin Banks just erases whoever he is lined up against. Total mismatch.

9. Byron Murphy was showing a little more disruption than last season, but I am still not going to pencil him in for 5 sacks next year.

10. Sorrell, Burke, and Vasek were the three edge guys that stood out. Vasek blew by a tackle on more than one occasion and sacked Arch once that wasnt called. Burke can be a major problem if he stops reading so much and pins his ears back and crashes down. He also recorded a sack on Quinn, but he still gets moved in the run game too much. Finkley looks like a fire hydrant out there but physics is not on his side. Tapp looks either lost or unmotivated. Portal candidate.

11. Loved some of the coverage from the dbs. Brooks, Watts, Barron, Muhammad, and Holmes all had really nice plays. 

12. Safety was meh. BJ Allen got abused by Worthy all day.

13. Gbenda looks to be spring ball bluster, he was fine but I don't see him keeping Hill off the field. Hill is just too rangy and gets through the wash much more effectively.

14. Sydir Mitchell is going to be a monster when he grows up.

15. I would not pencil Jake Majors in at starting center yet. His ceiling is just so much lower than the guys around him.

16. Lefau had a couple of nice plays, but he needs some more time.

17. Deandre Moore had a tough day, but I am still excited about him. Johntay was really good, but his long TD catch was against a walkon in 1 on 1 coverage, so I am not really giving that too much weight. 

18. Blue looked pretty good with a couple of nice runs between the tackles. His TD would have been tackled well before he scored had Barron not had a green jersey on. Red was really intriguing, I can see him giving some less athletic teams like K State or Iowa State some real problems. Baxter showed a couple of nice things, but he looks like he may need a little time to be the guy.

I thought Arch played well given the circumstances. Sark did not set him up for success. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was Sark’s way for dampening the media flames on Arch 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I thought Arch played well given the circumstances. Sark did not set him up for success. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was Sark’s way for dampening the media flames on Arch 

I would actually be rather surprised if Sark was intentionally sabotaging his crown jewel recruit in the spring game.

• Hook 'Em 5

43 minutes ago, NevaLost said:

I would actually be rather surprised if Sark was intentionally sabotaging his crown jewel recruit in the spring game.

You mean the recruit that it’s well known wants to red shirt and some media members (Adam Schefter if I remember) have said he is giving Ewers a run for his money? It’s not sabotaging him. It’s just stacking the table. Just pointing out that Arch spent the game running for his life. Rick Neiheisel (Sp?) admitted doing this and said coaches do it all the time. They know the results they want and can call plays and structure teams to get those results 

Edited by Codaxx

I would actually be rather surprised if you were not wearing a tinfoil hat sitting in front of a vintage Dell desktop monitor from 2005.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Murphy played with and against the exact same personnel. Murphy won the day pretty handily. That isn't necessarily a bad omen, it just may mean that the Mannings might know what the fuck they are doing wanting to give Arch a redshirt year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Hope the next few months before fall camp, these players work their asses off on strength and conditioning.

I was surprised to see players ask out after only a few plays today, and both our lines need to get a lot stronger...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Murphy played with and against the exact same personnel. Murphy won the day pretty handily. That isn't necessarily a bad omen, it just may mean that the Mannings might know what the fuck they are doing wanting to give Arch a redshirt year.

Murphy did not have the same pressure on him that Arch had. I am not saying Arch is better, but let’s not make up things and say they faced the same pressure. By the way, if I remember correctly Arch’s first pass was a completion to a guy named Thatcher. I am doubting your contention that the personnel was the same. 

Edited by Codaxx

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hope the next few months before fall camp, these players work their asses off on strength and conditioning.

I was surprised to see players ask out after only a few plays today, and both our lines need to get a lot stronger...

It was hot as shit on the field. Probably the first day of the year where it felt like August.

35 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Murphy did not have the same pressure on him that Arch had. I am not saying Arch is better, but let’s not make up things and say they faced the same pressure. By the way, if I remember correctly Arch’s first pass was a completion to a guy named Thatcher. I am doubting your contention that the personnel was the same. 

They rotated on the same squad with Johntay, Moore, and an army of walkons at WR. Their OLines were the same. They played against the same guys on defense at various times. But by all means, keep going.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

They rotated on the same squad with Johntay, Moore, and an army of walkons at WR. Their OLines were the same. They played against the same guys on defense at various times. But by all means, keep going.

Is it possible that the defensive staff selectively dialed up more pressures when Arch was on the field vs Maalik? I agree that it was all the same personnel, but my impression on first watch was that Arch was given significantly less time in the pocket.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I really can not take anyone serious that can not admit that Arch faced way more pressure than Murphy or Ewers. Don’t have to believe me, you can believe Bobby and Gerry’s reactions on the subject

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Crosspost

Spring Game Reactions | Who Stood Out? | Injury Notes | Arch Manning | Quinn Ewers | Texas Football

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy9lMDM2N2M4L3BvZGNhc3QvcnNz/episode/NTIxNzdjY2MtOWYxYS00MDM3LWJkODctNGU4MTE4ZDU3YTI0?ep=14

Upside: scipiotex breaks down the offense in the spring game

Downside: he is joined by Ian Boyd

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Viper said:

I appreciate that Scipio told Boyd to shut the fuck up and let him finish at the beginning of the podcast though. Reigned in some of the signature Ian Boyd word vomit. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vertigo said:

1. AD Mitchell is exactly what Quinn needed. His body control is freaky and he adjusts well to the ball in the air with soft hands.

2. We tend to forget how good Worthy is because of the struggles last season, then we see him running wide open all over the field and I was thinking "Oh yeah, there he is."

3. Aaron Bryant is going to be really valuable in the DL rotation, he just doesn't go backwards very much.

4. Maalik Murphy was excellent, he gave himself a nice cushion heading into the summer for that #2 role.

5. Arch looked like a freshman, but he made good decisions with the ball running for his life behind that line. Maalik got a much cleaner pocket behind the same guys for whatever reason.

6. I found myself very impressed with Conner Stroh. He looks like he can be a guy in that 2 deep if needed next year.

7. Cam Williams has Mike Tyson level punch when he gets his hands on guys. He picked one guy up and threw him a yard or two in the air. He did really well at guard and tackle.

9. Byron Murphy was showing a little more disruption than last season, but I am still not going to pencil him in for 5 sacks next year.

10. Sorrell, Burke, and Vasek were the three edge guys that stood out. Vasek blew by a tackle on more than one occasion and sacked Arch once that wasnt called. Burke can be a major problem if he stops reading so much and pins his ears back and crashes down. He also recorded a sack on Quinn, but he still gets moved in the run game too much. Finkley looks like a fire hydrant out there but physics is not on his side. Tapp looks either lost or unmotivated. Portal candidate.

11. Loved some of the coverage from the dbs. Brooks, Watts, Barron, Muhammad, and Holmes all had really nice plays. 

13. Gbenda looks to be spring ball bluster, he was fine but I don't see him keeping Hill off the field. Hill is just too rangy and gets through the wash much more effectively.

15. I would not pencil Jake Majors in at starting center yet. His ceiling is just so much lower than the guys around him.

18. Blue looked pretty good with a couple of nice runs between the tackles. His TD would have been tackled well before he scored had Barron not had a green jersey on. Red was really intriguing, I can see him giving some less athletic teams like K State or Iowa State some real problems. Baxter showed a couple of nice things, but he looks like he may need a little time to be the guy.

You seem normal and well reasoned. What the fuck are you doing on the Football board?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Good post, but I hope you’re wrong on Tapp. We need him to be a dude. 

• Hook 'Em 2