2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

40 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Potential loses

Murphy and Collins

Gone: Sweat

If they all leave it is probably Trill, Bryant, and Mitchell, Bledsoe if he puts on some weight. Broughton would  need to make a magical transition, to be relied on. It gets real sketchy in 2025, if Murphy, Collins, and Sweat leave. 

Collins needs a slightly better year than 2022 to be drafted in the NFL Draft Day 2 range. Safe bet.

I believe he has a Covid year (?). Maybe he comes back to improve his draft stock and play in the SEC. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Collins needs a slightly better year than 2022 to be drafted in the NFL Draft Day 2 range. Safe bet.

I believe he has a Covid year (?). Maybe he comes back to improve his draft stock and play in the SEC. 

Gerry seems to think he is likely to leave. He is similar to Overshown. He is going to do well at the underwear Olympics and likely to get drafted above his production, based on athletic talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Gerry seems to think he is likely to leave. He is similar to Overshown. He is going to do well at the underwear Olympics and likely to get drafted above his production, based on athletic talent. 

Agreed. Not counting on Collins. Need to paper Murphy’s apartment with hundred dollar bills to get him to stay for 2024.

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

lol wut. He’s nowhere near a Day 2 pick right now. He had 1 sack and 3 TFLs in 12 games last year. He’d have to take a huge step forward to get to that range in next year’s draft. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol wut. He’s nowhere near a Day 2 pick right now. He had 1 sack and 3 TFLs in 12 games last year. He’d have to take a huge step forward to get to that range in next year’s draft. 

He’s going to test well at the Combine. He could sneak into the third round. It happens every draft with big, athletic dudes with poor numbers. Every NFL coaching staff thinks they can “fix” them. 

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

How so? What position has he been in that's not conducive to his talents?

A backup to Coburn and Ojomo for the 2 previous seasons. Remember what he did against Colorado? 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but that's what some NFL team will say and that's the point being made. Especially so seeing as he'll once again (presumably) be 2nd string this season. 

On 7/11/2023 at 4:00 PM, TheMailBox357 said:

His definition of a super blue chip:

ketch inventing new measures is fucking dumb.

what is a "high 4 star" definition? why wouldn't he just say "top 200 players"?

what about "consensus elite transfer"? why wouldn't he just say "its a 5 star transfer based on transfer portal rankings"

it's amazing that this fucking clown finds ways to be lazier at every single opportunity that comes up.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s going to test well at the Combine. He could sneak into the third round. It happens every draft with big, athletic dudes with poor numbers. Every NFL coaching staff thinks they can “fix” them. 

He’s really not though. That’s only for absolute freak athletes. Collins doesn’t fit the bill. He lacks explosiveness. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Feldman / Athletic: After an offseason of change, Quinn Ewers is ready to lead Texas football

[Ford]: “I think the haircut represented to him that he was still the same guy he thought he was from high school. He didn’t realize how much growth was really there for him and how much maturity he really needed to improve on, and that’s with all of just — not just him but he’s a QB so the spotlight’s always on him and you see it more.”

Ewers doesn’t disagree with that characterization.

“I was ready for it to go,” he said. “I was tired of it. It was just a lot to keep up with, and it was time to grow up.”

text:

Spoiler

After an offseason of change, Quinn Ewers is ready to lead Texas football

Jul 12, 2023; Arlington, TX, USA; Texas Longhorns quarterback Quinn Ewers is interviewed during Big 12 football media day at AT&T Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
By Bruce Feldman
5h ago

ARLINGTON, Texas — The mullet is gone. So are almost 20 pounds. You probably wouldn’t recognize Quinn Ewers these days. Truth is, a lot of people don’t. The former five-star Texas quarterback said it’s kind of nice. Now when he goes to the grocery store most people don’t notice him.

They will once the Longhorns start playing, especially if Ewers performs as well as folks inside the UT program expect in 2023. At Wednesday’s Big 12 media days at AT&T Stadium, Ewers displayed a dramatically different look, but more than his hair it was his body that really was a significant change.

Ewers told The Athletic he’s gotten down to 200 pounds from 218 at the end of last season.

“I probably haven’t been this light since my sophomore year of high school,” he said. “I lost some bad weight and gained some good weight back. I really focused on my eating habits; getting in the playbook more; I want to be comfortable, on and off the field, if that makes sense, physically and mentally.”

He’s cut out fast food, focusing on eating healthier. He rarely snacks and doesn’t eat past 8 p.m. The toughest thing to give up was Chick-Fil-A. His go-to was two chicken sandwiches and a cobb salad, “and the tea there is phenomenal.”

Ewers began to change his diet at the start of the Longhorns’ winter conditioning program, telling the staff — “Do whatever. I’m fully bought in. I’m ready to go.”

What the 20-year-old realized is he doesn’t just feel leaner and quicker in the pocket, he also feels sharper.

“It was just the way my body felt,” he said. “I didn’t feel healthy. And since I have been eating better, I’ve noticed I don’t have that pressure on my joints. My back feels amazing.  Since I have been eating better, I’ve noticed it also helps me mentally. I didn’t think that it clogged my head as much as it did, but it really did. It’s cool to see what’s been going on. That’s what I was looking for and I’m glad I’ve done what I’ve done.”

Ewers had an up-and-down debut season for the Longhorns in 2022. He threw for 2,177 yards and 15 touchdowns and just six interceptions in 10 games. Against Alabama, he backed up the massive hype he arrived in Austin with, dicing up the Bama defense for almost a half, going 9 of 12 for 134 yards before being forced out of the game with a shoulder injury. Later in the season after he returned, he often looked like a freshman quarterback trying to find his way. He went 19 of 39 and threw three picks in a loss at Oklahoma State. He was just 17 of 39 with a pick in a 17-10 home loss to TCU a month later. For the season, he completed 58 percent of his passes. But he looked much improved this spring.

Ewers described 2022 as “a roller coaster” particularly in the middle of the season. “It was definitely hard, but I’m kind of glad it happened because it showed me what I need to do better.” Most notably, the small things. “Like taking better care of my body; getting in the playbook more, understanding the defenses more, and ultimately understanding how you treat the small things is how you treat everything else.”

USATSI_20470007-scaled.jpg

Quinn Ewers finished 16 of 23 passing for 195 yards and a touchdown in Texas’ spring game. (Scott Wachter / USA Today)

His teammates said they think Ewers’s transformation started a little after him changing his diet — when he cut his mullet in early February.

“The biggest change I think was actually when he cut his hair,” said UT defensive star Jaylan Ford. “You could see from that moment on he started focusing on him as a person and that what happened last year was not how he wanted it and he’s taken it upon himself to change it.

“It’s just been amazing to see with how it’s happened right in front of me. From the moment he came in to now, he talks more. He was shy and timid when he came here. He’s matured. He’s started focusing on how he looks and his body composition, and just doing the small things that really show that he’s becoming a pro. That’s his goal and you can tell with the way he’s going about his business. He’s becoming a leader and he understands his role and his position. He’s embraced it, and I feel like he’s thrived in it.

“I think the haircut represented to him that he was still the same guy he thought he was from high school. He didn’t realize how much growth was really there for him and how much maturity he really needed to improve on, and that’s with all of just — not just him but he’s a QB so the spotlight’s always on him and you see it more.”

Ewers doesn’t disagree with that characterization.

“I was ready for it to go,” he said. “I was tired of it. It was just a lot to keep up with, and it was time to grow up.”

The strong-armed QB has had to grow up fast over the past two years. He skipped his senior year of high school at powerhouse Southlake Carroll right before their year was about to kick off to enroll at Ohio State so he could collect a reported $1.4 million in NIL endorsement money he wouldn’t have been able to receive due to Texas state law at the time. In Columbus, Ewers was buried on the depth chart and left four months later. He told The Athletic he wouldn’t re-do his decision to bypass his senior year of high school even if he could.

“The only reason I’d say no is because of how much I learned from that whole process of going to Ohio State early,” he said. “It was obviously hard leaving my good friends who I grew up playing football with. It was a really tough decision but I don’t think I would go back and change a thing even if I could just because of what I learned. I definitely learned a whole bunch about football but also about myself. I had to grow up really fast. I had to make that decision if I was going or staying within a week and a half, and then going up there and jumping right into fall camp, it was really tough for me. This was a lot, but I’m glad it worked out.”

With a more mature Ewers running the offense, the Longhorns are the preseason favorite, according to the Big 12 media, to win the conference in Texas’ final season in the league before heading to the SEC. Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said Ewers has “earned the respect of his teammates,” adding that coaches and players alike have noticed him speaking up in team meetings and on the field, and that if “things go the way we think they can go, the pundits are probably right — he’s a first-round quarterback.”

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

People underestimate how hard it is to be a draft pick above the final 2 rounds. 

Collins’ biggest issue is his motor, he’s not the most explosive guy but he moves well for his size. That doesn’t show up nearly often enough for it to be a positive.
When your 4 year college career highlight happens as a freshman, that’s not a good thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Atticus said:

People underestimate how hard it is to be a draft pick above the final 2 rounds. 

Collins’ biggest issue is his motor, he’s not the most explosive guy but he moves well for his size. That doesn’t show up nearly often enough for it to be a positive.
When your 4 year college career highlight happens as a freshman, that’s not a good thing. 

Yes. He has always been a 5 star talent with a 3 star motor. I am rooting for him and Murphy to be drafted. I dont think Texas wins the Big 12 without it. Collins is the kidn of guy that it only takes 1 season to get drafted. That said Gerry Hamilton has called for a breakout, since his senior year. He has finally given up on mentioning Collins this year. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Yes. He has always been a 5 star talent with a 3 star motor. I am rooting for him and Murphy to be drafted. I dont think Texas wins the Big 12 without it. Collins is the kidn of guy that it only takes 1 season to get drafted. That said Gerry Hamilton has called for a breakout, since his senior year. He has finally given up on mentioning Collins this year. 

soph year

On 7/11/2023 at 5:00 PM, TheMailBox357 said:

His definition of a super blue chip:

EDIT: Should've kept reading, NoName beat me to the exact same thoughts an hour ago.

-------------------------------

That's the opposite of a definition.

What's a "high" 4-star? Top 50? 100? 200? Top half of all 4 stars?

What's an "elite" transfer? All conference? Previous recruiting rankings? Transfer portal recruiting rankings?

What's "consensus"? The recruiting services? Media members? Coaches in the conference? Message board sychophants?

That "definition" is vague AF and leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I think Collins would probably make more and get valuable playing time here for his covid season than competing for a practice squad spot and moonlighting in the USFL

Do you think a guy with a C- motor at best is really dying to play more college football?

19 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Has Texas at #7. Skip to 19:20.

That was solid. Spent so much time raving about the offense that he had to rush through the defense. I wanted to hate McElroy at first but he’s one of the best CFB guys at ESPN now. Imagine they’re grooming him as the Herbstreit replacement down the line.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

That was solid. Spent so much time raving about the offense that he had to rush through the defense. I wanted to hate McElroy at first but he’s one of the best CFB guys at ESPN now. Imagine they’re grooming him as the Herbstreit replacement down the line.

Still looks douchy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Anyone recall when UT moved from KVET to The Horn? Were we still on KVET in 2005?

Not sure... Did find this quote

Since 2016, games were carried on Genuine Austin Radio’s “The Horn” KTXX (104.9), which plans to drop its sports format on Aug. 1. The company will continue a sports talk format on KTAE (1260) and its corresponding FM translator, the Round Rock-licensed K270CO at 101.9, both of which currently simulcast KTXX. It’s unclear what will air on the KTXX signal.

https://www.insideradio.com/free/texas-longhorns-move-to-iheart-as-ktxx-drops-sports-format/article_58c12dae-21ad-11ee-86ab-eb43ca7151c7.html

Bobby Burton goes on a huge rant tonight at beginning of Livestream... 😂😂😂😂😂😂

IMG_20230713_192508_kindlephoto-6143119.thumb.jpg.1b904fb7d6b39c57dbe77a525b48e829.jpg

Longhorn Livestream | Big 12 Deputy Commissioner Puts Foot in Mouth  

FUCK THE BIG 12 !!!  🤘

EMBRACE THE HATE

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

When the fuck did Bobby become a longhorns fan.   He's going off on the big 12s deputy's comments On Texas Football's live stream right now.   I've never heard him so fired up. Hands down, his best rant ever

Bobby Burton is a 1992 alum of the University of Texas  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, nineliveslost said:

I always thought Bobby Burton was straight up about Texas. I am actually about to sign up for his stuff since I enjoy his info so much. 

I watch his stuff.  But I've never seen him so pissed off as he's been this year at the Big 12.  He's liable to throat punch the deputy commissioner if they end up in an elevator together.  

• Hook 'Em 3

comes across as the girl that got dumped but then criticizes the boyfriend for his faults. She "says" she doesn't want him anymore and she'll spend hours telling you why not.  .  . but will still eagerly fuck him again if she could. 

for clarification, the deputy commissioner is the girl 

Edited by nineliveslost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

His what, 15 minute rant is well worth the watch.  It covers the sentiment around here towards the Big 12 to a tee. 

Agree... pretty funny that Weiser used k-state and iowa state as his examples.  Texas beat both k-state and iowa state in 2022. 😋

IMG_20230713_192508_kindlephoto-6143119.thumb.jpg.054cc327b75f62a16ece389b5d83511f.jpg

Longhorn Livestream | Big 12 Deputy Commissioner Puts Foot in Mouth

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2