2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

The UT WR room is made of glass. Mitchell, Neyor, and Whittington have all missed all or most of at least one season, and several of those guys have missed most of 2. 

If they can stay healthy this season, they’ll be the 1st or 2nd best WR group in the country (Ohio State?) and through the sheer depth of talent be a far better group than those in 2008 or 2009. Now, sure, I’d trade a healthy Shipley and Quan for two guys from today, but Texas has 4 guys, not even counting freshmen, who can play at the Shipley/Cosby level or close enough to it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Might never have happened had we not resorted to calling a play with little reward and massive risk. I believe that would have been Davis. If Colt finishes the game, we win and there’s no need change offensive philosophy.

Colt survived the Nebraska hits when his o-line were double teaming air.  They were a far more robust unit than Alabama. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The UT WR room is made of glass. Mitchell, Neyor, and Whittington have all missed all or most of at least one season, and several of those guys have missed most of 2. 

If they can stay healthy this season, they’ll be the 1st or 2nd best WR group in the country (Ohio State?) and through the sheer depth of talent be a far better group than those in 2008 or 2009. Now, sure, I’d trade a healthy Shipley and Quan for two guys from today, but Texas has 4 guys, not even counting freshmen, who can play at the Shipley/Cosby level or close enough to it. 

Another thing to keep in mind is both Quan and Ship were pretty old for college players in 08/09. Ship should have been catching passes from VY as early as 04 if not for injuries  Quan played baseball for a few years before taking a snap at Texas. Despite their massive age advantage, neither Quan in 05 or Shipley in 06, were anywhere near what Worthy was in 21. And Worthy wasn't even at Texas for spring ball iirc.

Not taking Quan or Ship for granted, but comparing our current young guys to their last couple of seasons is hardly fair.

Edited by LateAughtsHorn

10 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

I get the affection we have around here for Colt and Ship, but we have a few receivers on our current roster that have first round potential, Ship wasn't that guy.  

Shipley was far ahead of Worthy you nonce.  anyone with a brain and half a dick would take Shipley’s junior year over whatever bullshit Worthy is about to shit out in 2023.  and if you think Worthy is a 1st round pick you should go fuck yourself. 

I get the affection we have around here for Colt and Ship, but we have a few receivers on our current roster that have first round potential, Ship wasn't that guy. Outside of Quan and Ship, who was our third best WR during that time period? Brandon Collins? Colt and Ship were special college players in the way they went about their business and brought consistency with them every single game, but when talking about generational talent, that's something entirely different.
Ewers probably won't be as locked in as Colt was in 08/09 (like the 2014 Spurs, Im not sure it's, humanly possible to be more efficient than Colt was those two years.), but he has more weapons at WR and should damn sure have a better line. He'll also probably make a couple of arm talent plays that Colt couldn't make. Then throw in Sark vs GD and it's pretty clear that on paper, our 23 offense should be miles ahead of 08, and especially 09.
That being said, until we actually win hardware, I will continue to expect us to lose 4+ games every year. I can only take so much disappointment. 

We have eyeballs. The 2008 and 2009 Texas teams were Top 3 back to back years. When Sark’s 2023 club fields a Top 10 performance, get back to us.

45 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We have eyeballs. The 2008 and 2009 Texas teams were Top 3 back to back years. When Sark’s 2023 club fields a Top 10 performance, get back to us.

I was attending Texas at that time, so I'm quite aware how good those teams were. I thought we were talking WR rooms only. This WR room has the potential to be deeper and more explosive than 08 or 09. Idk how this is a controversial statement.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, futureman said:

Shipley was far ahead of Worthy you nonce.  anyone with a brain and half a dick would take Shipley’s junior year over whatever bullshit Worthy is about to shit out in 2023.  and if you think Worthy is a 1st round pick you should go fuck yourself. 

Compare Shipleys 2008 stats after being in college for five years to Worthy's 2021 true fish campaign and tell me how I'm being unreasonable. I see your username, so I guess it's no use arguing with you, as you've clearly seen Worthy's 2023 season already. Do we blow out OU again? 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

There are two rules for all receivers.

1. When the ball comes to you, catch it. Do not even consider Rule 2 until after you catch the ball. AFTER, not WHILE.

2. After you catch it, run for a Touchdown or at least a First Down.

Ask your coaches if you're not sure whether you're a receiver or a blocker, or both.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Compare Shipleys 2008 stats after being in college for five years to Worthy's 2021 true fish campaign and tell me how I'm being unreasonable. I see your username, so I guess it's no use arguing with you, as you've clearly seen Worthy's 2023 season already. Do we blow out OU again? 

good lord with the stats fucking numbnuts.  you take worthy and I’ll take shipley and I’ll beat you 100x out of 100 as worthy gives up on or drops 70% of what is thrown to him.  and as far as OU this year we don’t blow them out but we do win. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, ousux said:

If there is any doubt we're in peak off season, the last few posts in this thread is all the proof we need. Kick off can't get here soon enough ffs

This is correct. I don't give a fuck what Mack, or even Saint Darrell, put on the field, or how our somewhat hypothetical team compares.

Let's have some talk about what - if anything - is going on now. I understand that coaches other than S&C are now allowed to work with players during the summers - is there anything being said about how things are going? 

6 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

This is correct. I don't give a fuck what Mack, or even Saint Darrell, put on the field, or how our somewhat hypothetical team compares.

Let's have some talk about what - if anything - is going on now. I understand that coaches other than S&C are now allowed to work with players during the summers - is there anything being said about how things are going? 

Nahlin did an article the other day. Said most of our starters are always watching film. Didn’t go in depth on the coaches and offensive/defensive installs but mentioned it happening. Neyor is looking good in 7on7 but wouldn’t be out there with full contact yet.

Fall camp starts August 2nd. Have a feeling the practice reports will be on another level this year and I cannot wait.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:57 AM, Eskimohorn said:

Colt and Shipley arent walking through that door. They were generational talents. Colt was the best player in college football in 08. We’re not sure if Ewers is the best QB on this team.

Staring George Costanza GIF

if you aren't sure if Ewers it the best (current) QB on the team and think that one of these guys who combined have 0 college snaps between them is better you need to watch more football

• Maalik Murphy
  • Charles Wright
  • Arch Manning
  • Joe Tatum
  • Cole Lourd

he is absolutely the best 2023 QB on the team and it really isn't close.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

... I cannot wait.

+1, but appaprently we'll have to wait, regardless.

A major part of the lack is that Sark insulates the entire staff from any sort of direct contact with the public. I don't know how prevalent this is throughout CFB - I think I saw that it came from Saban. It is probably a Good Thing, as far as the staff is concerned... 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2023 at 9:27 AM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Based on the spring game, which is the only thing I’ve really been able to see for myself, it seems AD Mitchell is by far our best wr and worthy will be in a #2 type role which suits him better anyway.

This

23 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Maybe the competition will be good for X. Push him and make him better.

and I really hope so.  Add in Sanders and Neyor and look the fuck out.

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

if you aren't sure if Ewers it the best (current) QB on the team and think that one of these guys who combined have 0 college snaps between them is better you need to watch more football

• Maalik Murphy
  • Charles Wright
  • Arch Manning
  • Joe Tatum
  • Cole Lourd

Maalik seems like he could do pretty good. Quinn is better though, but I wouldn't say it's just like we fall off hard from his God like abilities to shitters. All 3 at the top of the depth chart are better than what we've had since Sam, possibly even better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Based on the spring game, which is the only thing I’ve really been able to see for myself, it seems AD Mitchell is by far our best wr and worthy will be in a #2 type role which suits him better anyway.

Go back and watch how Sark used DeVonta Smith at Bama.  That's likely to be the 2023 blueprint for Worthy...

Here's a video to help yah get started

DeVonta Smith's National Championship Game highlights: 215 yards, 3 TDs — all in first half 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

• Maalik Murphy
  • Charles Wright
  • Arch Manning
  • Joe Tatum
  • Cole Lourd

People get excited when you throw a floater for a TD vs a walk-on CB in a glorified scrimmage, because it is exactly the same as playing a game vs Bama. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 3

If Worthy had Shipley's or Cosby's hands he would be DeVonta Smith.  If we we are talking about NFL potential, it's Worthy by a mile.  If we are talking about which receiver I would want the ball going to with the game on the line, it's not Worthy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hey man, I know you’re new here and all, but don’t quote the insipid dipshit that 90% of the board has on ignore. 

Probably for the best, tbh. I knew this place loved its booze, but I didn't realize it was apparently 24 hours a day for some posters. Then I remembered what program we've been supporting for the last decade...

• Rage+1 1

200.gif
  • Maalik Murphy
  • Charles Wright
  • Arch Manning
  • Joe Tatum
  • Cole Lourd

Sark did well to not bench Ewers last year. The passing game was atrocious last year. Ewers probably threw the most uncatchable balls in the country. We see another Oklahoma St Nuke Laloosh performance, I can envision either capable backup relieving him.

With that being said, its only his 2nd year and the ceiling is high. Maybe he’ll be comparable to Colt McCoy someday.

1 hour ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Probably for the best, tbh. I knew this place loved its booze, but I didn't realize it was apparently 24 hours a day for some posters. Then I remembered what program we've been supporting for the last decade...

uh, not probably. rule 1 around here should be to not quote that dumbshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sark did well to not bench Ewers last year. The passing game was atrocious last year. Ewers probably threw the most uncatchable balls in the country. We see another Oklahoma St Nuke Laloosh performance, I can envision either capable backup relieving him.

With that being said, its only his 2nd year and the ceiling is high. Maybe he’ll be comparable to Colt McCoy someday.

He should have been benched in the okie state game because he was injured. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

1) this year isn't last year.

2) he doesn't have Hudson Card on the bench this year, and even last year when he did...he didn't bench Ewers.

3) the rest of the QBs on the roster combined have taken zero snaps in a college game

4) Quinn Ewers is absolutely the best QB on the team and it isn't close. you may not think so but everyone else around the country and the guys who see them every day are completely and totally sure of it. going to go with literally everyone else on this vs you.

also, based on every advanced statistic out there, the offense was fine last year. top 20 in the country. the passing game was ok. it's almost like a guy who hasn't taken a real snap in college goes through some growing pains.

"most uncatchable balls in the country" - 79 players in the country attempted more passes. there are a handful of guys after looking at the stats for two seconds who attempted 100+ more passes than Quinn Ewers and had a lower completion %. Hell, the guy at UTEP went 164/315 and has a completion rate like 7 percentage points lower than Ewers.  Connor Bazelak who is the QB for Indiana evidently, attempted 130 more passes last year than Ewers and completed them at a lower rate. come on. don't make shit up.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1) this year isn't last year.
2) he doesn't have Hudson Card on the bench this year, and even last year when he did...he didn't bench Ewers.
3) the rest of the QBs on the roster combined have taken zero snaps in a college game
4) Quinn Ewers is absolutely the best QB on the team and it isn't close. you may not think so but everyone else around the country and the guys who see them every day are completely and totally sure of it. going to go with literally everyone else on this vs you.
also, based on every advanced statistic out there, the offense was fine last year. top 20 in the country. the passing game was ok. it's almost like a guy who hasn't taken a real snap in college goes through some growing pains.
"most uncatchable balls in the country" - 79 players in the country attempted more passes. there are a handful of guys after looking at the stats for two seconds who attempted 100+ more passes than Quinn Ewers and had a lower completion %. Hell, the guy at UTEP went 164/315 and has a completion rate like 7 percentage points lower than Ewers.  Connor Bazelak who is the QB for Indiana evidently, attempted 130 more passes last year than Ewers and completed them at a lower rate. come on. don't make shit up.

I didnt make up the catchable balls stats, but cant find link because I heard it on the radio. That stat was in reference to outside catch radius (so overthrows and underthrows). We were not Top 100 in overall catchable balls, including Card. Or maybe we were in the 90’s.

The offense relied on Bijan and the threat of Bijan and some nifty scheming. Bijan being our best back since Ricky in my opinion, even above Benson (who worked among a more talented offense). So it was a decent offense. But the passing game underperformed and could not be relied upon.

In context of my opinion that Ewers does not deserve to be compared to Colt since he’s not in the same ballpark as one of the greatest QBs in CFB history, I think its premature to compare the two and believe its not unthinkable that Ewers could be a bust and get benched. Is it likely? I hope not. But he hasnt done more than show flashes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I was just reading about new offensive analyst Paul Chryst and I have a question: how does Paul Chryst get fired from Wisconsin ---- WISCONSIN! ----  after going 67-26?

image_2023-07-10_144126053.png

IF I remember it was more about recruiting than anything

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I didnt make up the catchable balls stats, but cant find link because I heard it on the radio. That stat was in reference to outside catch radius (so overthrows and underthrows). We were not Top 100 in overall catchable balls, including Card. Or maybe we were in the 90’s.

The offense relied on Bijan and the threat of Bijan and some nifty scheming. Bijan being our best back since Ricky in my opinion, even above Benson (who worked among a more talented offense). So it was a decent offense. But the passing game underperformed and could not be relied upon.

In context of my opinion that Ewers does not deserve to be compared to Colt since he’s not in the same ballpark as one of the greatest QBs in CFB history, I think its premature to compare the two and believe its not unthinkable that Ewers could be a bust and get benched. Is it likely? I hope not. But he hasnt done more than show flashes.

a quick google doesn't say anything about it, or i can't find it.

who is out here comparing Quinn Ewers to Colt McCoy?! yeah that is a dumb comparison. idk who has said it but it's dumb.

it is absolutely unthinkable for Ewers to get benched for someone else in the QB room who has never taken a college snap. come on man.

he is far far far and away the best QB on campus right now. period.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

a quick google doesn't say anything about it, or i can't find it.

who is out here comparing Quinn Ewers to Colt McCoy?! yeah that is a dumb comparison. idk who has said it but it's dumb.

it is absolutely unthinkable for Ewers to get benched for someone else in the QB room who has never taken a college snap. come on man.

he is far far far and away the best QB on campus right now. period.

Guy sitting next to me at the spring game, after Arch hits a RB out of the backfield. "Now there's your starting QB right there!". 

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's what I recall reading.  Wisky's recruiting had started sliding downhill and the administration was concerned that Chryst had not been adapting to the changing recruiting landscape.

Apparently he flat out was not adapting at all. Had zero interest in it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Christ’s director of player personnel left and he didn’t hire a replacement for eight months. Seems like Wisconsin saw his ceiling, incoming decline, and Fickell sitting there so they made a move. 

Yeah, I'm not sure they shitcan Chryst if they thought they may have to hire an unproven asst coach or some coaching retread. But if they reached out to Fickell through back channels and he was receptive to the idea of coming to Madison, I bet most AD's would do the same. The only thing that is escalating faster than the ridiculous coaching salaries some of these chumps are getting are the unrealistic expectations for cfb playoff success currently harbored by about 90% of the P5 athletic directors. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Chryst’s director of player personnel left and he didn’t hire a replacement for eight months. Seems like Wisconsin saw his ceiling, incoming decline, and Fickell sitting there so they made a move. 

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yeah, I'm not sure they shitcan Chryst if they thought they may have to hire an unproven asst coach or some coaching retread. But if they reached out to Fickell through back channels and he was receptive to the idea of coming to Madison, I bet most AD's would do the same. The only thing that is escalating faster than the ridiculous coaching salaries some of these chumps are getting are the unrealistic expectations for cfb playoff success currently harbored by about 90% of the P5 athletic directors. 

giphy.gif

Getting Fickell was the key...

Chryst also sucked at recruiting and was not adapting to the transfer portal and NIL

Edited by LTtxfan

Worthy's best position would be in the slot. In that highlight package against OSU, we saw Smith run routes that both Whittington and Robinson run. There was only 2 deep shots, and one was against a LB. I think Ewers got impatient and because of injuries, Worthy had to play outside. If Mitchell and Neyor can stay healthy, the best grouping would be Neyor and Mitchell outside with Worthy in the slot. There isn't a defense in the country that could stop those 3, especially when you add in Sanders at TE.

• Hook 'Em 2