2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

Someone asked a few pages back, but Brooks may or may not go pro at the end of this year. He is debating it but a lot of it will depend on his draft status and injuries. He's not giving a lot of thought to it right now, though.

35 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Someone asked a few pages back, but Brooks may or may not go pro at the end of this year. He is debating it but a lot of it will depend on his draft status and injuries. He's not giving a lot of thought to it right now, though.

thanks for that hard-hitting info

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

thanks for that hard-hitting info

Yeah, not informative, other than it came directly from him. Since there were comments earlier about him going pro, it might be good to know where things stand: The problem is that he really doesn't know what he is going to do so he is just focusing on the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That's one loaded RB room in 2024, even without him. Baxter, Gibson, Clark, Red.... who knows with Blue and Wisner. It may be similar to the Ewers situation, where it's probably best to assume this is the last year. 

Brooks isn’t on any draft outlooks that I’ve read. I assume that, if he actually left for whatever reason, it would be to transfer for starter’s minutes because of the competition in the room. He looks like a fine back, but he’s not going on day one or day two without going off ridiculously. 

I’ve always understood him to be pretty happy at Texas though. I know he’s had NIL support, from this very site, even. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/30/2023 at 7:30 PM, CashMcCoy said:

Texas section from Bill Connelly’s Big 12 preview article today on ESPN:

Hide contents

Is Texas back? (For real this time?) Ah, where does time go? It's already been almost five years since Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger, celebrating after a Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia, said "We're baaaaaack" to Holly Rowe and the nation. After just one ranked finish in the eight years after losing the 2009 BCS championship, Tom Herman's Horns finished 10-4 and ninth in the AP poll. This felt like a turning point.

It was. For Georgia. The Dawgs have since gone 49-5 with two national titles; Texas has gone just 28-20. After two solid but unspectacular seasons, Herman was fired. Replacement Steve Sarkisian has gone just 13-12.

Texas is indeed not yet back. But 2022 was still a step forward. Texas went 6-0 in games with multiple-score differentials, enjoying wins of 55-14 over Kansas, 41-20 over Conference USA champ UTSA and, of course, 49-0 over a briefly spiraling OU. The Horns played three SP+ top-10 teams and got outscored by a margin of just 64-63. Breaking even with top-10 teams insinuates you are one; predictive ratings certainly thought so: Texas finished fifth in FPI and seventh in SP+. Per SP+ the offense improved from 36th to 18th, while the defense charged all the way from 106th to 15th.

If you were a top-10 team on paper, and you return your leading passer (Quinn Ewers), three leading receivers (led by Xavier Worthy), most of your offensive and defensive lines and a veteran-heavy secondary, then it would stand to reason you'll probably start the next season in the top 10, too, huh?

The Horns have some legitimately impressive players in the trenches now, from sophomore left tackle Kelvin Banks Jr. to 355-pound senior defensive tackle T'Vondre Sweat. The secondary has a disruptive star in nickel Jahdae Barron. Cornerback depth could be an issue, but dominant play up front (and some injury luck) can paper over cracks like that.

It's a glass-half-full situation on offense, especially in the skill corps. Veteran receivers Worthy and Jordan Whittington and tight end Ja'Tavion Sanders all return, and Wyoming transfer Isaiah Neyor is a big-play threat if he is 100% fit after last year's preseason knee injury. There is a Bijan Robinson-sized hole to fill at running back, but that's generally an easier position for finding replacements, and youngsters like Jonathan Brooks and freshman Cedric Baxter Jr. have loads of potential.

So why were the Horns so bad in close games last year? Their turnover luck wasn't particularly bad. Their offense was decent on fourth down. Their special teams unit wasn't amazing but wasn't a liability.

Considering they had Robinson, though, they were awfully mediocre in the red zone (65th in red zone TD rate), and the defense had a nightmare season on fourth downs (87th in conversion rate, 115th in points allowed after conversion). And while Ewers had plenty of good moments, he ranked 97th in raw QBR in the fourth quarter and 104th on third downs. Texas outscored opponents by 179 points in the first three quarters but was outscored by 12 in the fourth quarter and OT. In theory, the weaknesses were far enough out of character -- good on most plays, bad in very important and specific ones -- that they could be fixable. But we're five years past "We're back," and both Sarkisian and Texas bear the burden of proof. So does Ewers; if he continues to falter at the wrong times, the buzz for replacing one former all-world recruit with another (freshman backup Arch Manning) will get louder and louder.

Usually like Connelly, but this was lazy. I understand not being 100% confident that Texas actually plays to the level he projects them to be at, but c’mon man show some balls. Not sure how corner depth is the biggest issue on defense when it’s one of the deeper positions on the team IMO. Edge and LB (besides Ford) seem to be much bigger question marks. No mention of impact transfers like AD or Catalon. Cap it all off with calling Arch the backup and inventing the fallacy that any reasonably intelligent UT fan wants another true freshman starting at QB.

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

Connelly talks about how shit we were on 4th down defense rate and it makes me wonder if anyone has done any studies about how that correlates to skill level/experience at positions. I would almost bet you money that having shit at S and most of the LB positions is a much bigger impact of that rate than a meh Edge group…

There was so many times that having just one competent safety or LB could have shut down a simple pass tree by having basic recognition skills last year…

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Brooks isn’t on any draft outlooks that I’ve read. I assume that, if he actually left for whatever reason, it would be to transfer for starter’s minutes because of the competition in the room. He looks like a fine back, but he’s not going on day one or day two without going off ridiculously. 

I’ve always understood him to be pretty happy at Texas though. I know he’s had NIL support, from this very site, even. 

Yeah, he is happy at UT. But, he rooms with Sweat who will be gone. And the running back room is loaded and his minutes aren't going to go up the year following this year. His best bet, IMO, is to get enough carries this year to get drafted. I don't think transferring after the season would make a ton of sense unless he loses the starting role this season.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, he is happy at UT. But, he rooms with Sweat who will be gone. And the running back room is loaded and his minutes aren't going to go up the year following this year. His best bet, IMO, is to get enough carries this year to get drafted. I don't think transferring after the season would make a ton of sense unless he loses the starting role this season.

If he is transferring that means Baxter (or potentially Blue but that seems less likely) has moved into at worst the 1b spot at RB, which would outstanding. I think he is going to surprise some people with his numbers running behind the big boys up front and he has enough athletic measurable to get some looks as a late day 2 early day 3 guy if his testing at the combine check out.  Hes listed at 6 foot 204 and if he can run a decent 40 and continue to show pass catching ability, hes got a decent shot at the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Connelly talks about how shit we were on 4th down defense rate and it makes me wonder if anyone has done any studies about how that correlates to skill level/experience at positions. I would almost bet you money that having shit at S and most of the LB positions is a much bigger impact of that rate than a meh Edge group…

There was so many times that having just one competent safety or LB could have shut down a simple pass tree by having basic recognition skills last year…

This is not a surprise. Texas has not looked like DBU for a long time. I do believe Texas is starting to turn the corner and may be a year or 2 away, but the secondary has lacked NFL speed for quite some time. 

52 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

One of the keys to success in 23 will be playing up on receivers on 4th or 3rd and short.  When you play off 10 yds on 3rd & 5, that is like shooting ducks in a barrel.  jmo.

I think we have the guys to press, but will PK do it?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I can't even imagine having to share living quarters with a dude that big. The snoring must be off the charts

Lots of fucking laughs - The funny thing is that according to his GF, this is absolutely true.

50 minutes ago, cochamps said:

One of the keys to success in 23 will be playing up on receivers on 4th or 3rd and short.  When you play off 10 yds on 3rd & 5, that is like shooting ducks in a barrel.  jmo.

I think we have the guys to press, but will PK do it?

I nearly have an aneurysm every time this happens live.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin said Hutson has been working exclusively at center this summer and Majors will have a battle on his hand. Staff doesn't like Majors size...

Unless there was another quote I missed, he said that Hutson and Campbell are splitting reps at guard, and Majors and Hutson are splitting reps at center.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Unless there was another quote I missed, he said that Hutson and Campbell are splitting reps at guard, and Majors and Hutson are splitting reps at center.

How do you work at guard in the summer?

Just now, Red Five said:

i thought that they said that Hutson was taking reps at C vs "splitting reps" which to me insinuates splitting first team reps

didn't he take reps at C last year basically as the backup C in the fall?

Here's the whole thing.

If you’ve been longing for good news on sophomore offensive lineman DJ Campbell this might be the update for you. As you know, the coaches are able to work with the players a couple of hours per week so any changes in the depth are of note. Currently Campbell is splitting reps with Cole Hutson at right guard and Hutson is also splitting reps with Jake Majors at center. Hutson also gets snaps with the third team so he can get as much work as possible. Essentially there’s real competition at guard and center, which isn’t surprising given the parts Kyle Flood has to work with. Plus, we believe Majors would have had competition last season had Junior Angilau not been hurt.

Can Hutson win center from Majors? It’s very possible but far too early to know for sure. We’ll need intel from August camp to have a better idea. With all his experience Majors isn’t going to go quietly. 

After missing the Spring with injury, Connor Robertson is working his way in going with the twos at times.

One thing to watch for is Flood going to potentially more rotation on the offensive line. So even if someone technically loses a job they’re still likely to play. Flood thinks he has a good 7-8 to work with right now and competition could extend into the season. 

Cameron Williams is the swing tackle but he may also become the biggest tight end since Baylor had LaQuan McGowan. This is the role Andrej Karic played last year. We’ll see how much they deploy this package but apparently they still like it. When Hutson is at center and Williams is at tight end, that’s a big position group.

An added bonus to all this competition and potential rotation is keeping some players happy. Even offensive linemen, once accustomed to waiting their turn to play, are getting more itchy for immediate playing time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Cameron Williams is the swing tackle but he may also become the biggest tight end since Baylor had LaQuan McGowan. This is the role Andrej Karic played last year. We’ll see how much they deploy this package but apparently they still like it. When Hutson is at center and Williams is at tight end, that’s a big position group.

Oh My God Wow GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Does anyone have any intel on Sark's or Flood's history for/against displacing established starters when better talent became experienced enough to win the job? Sorry if it is already around here and I've missed/forgotten it. I'm trying to decide whether to let my hopes even think of getting up for an upgrade this season at C.