2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

i unhid your comment for the first time since i blocked you because i assumed it would be some dumb post very easily disprovable and guess what! i was right.

he hasn't gone after a high school center in 2 cycles, a portal center in multiple portal cycles or successfully moved anyone who was on the team to take his place.

just to write it down so you can see how stupid this opinion is...Flood has had the following opportunities to replace Jake Majors at Center:

• Spring 2021
  • Summer 2021
  • Preseason 2021
  • 2021 full season where he started every game (12 games)
  • Spring 2022
  • Summer 2022
  • Preseason 2022
  • 2022 full season where he started every game (13 games)
  • Spring 2023
  • Summer 2023
  • ...soon to be Preseason 2023

but sure - that's it, he just hasn't had enough opportunities to replace him lol he's been around for 880 days and just hasn't found the time to replace him?

A high school center? Hutson, Campbell, Robertson, and probably Neto could all play center if the staff wanted them to. I believe Robertson was recruited specifically for center.

Edited by Atticus

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He did apparently look around to see if any top tier Cs would be amenable to a move, but they weren't, and it wasn't worth bringing in a JAG when Majors at least is experienced and knows the system.

2021 Depth Chart vs Kansas

image.png.f90dee95e5efd590bffa59f8f6572d50.png

Not having the bodies/talent to replace him in 2021 and in 2022 all those bodies were true freshmen that actually do have the talent to replace him. Hell in spring 2021 we couldn't even have a proper spring game due to lack of bodies on the OL. So technically this is the 1st year in which we have the bodies and talent to replace him.

image.png

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

A high school center? Hutson, Campbell, Robertson, and probably Neto could all play center if the staff wanted them to. I believe Robertson was recruited specifically for center.

as a reminder, we have a huge glut of dudes on the roster who can't find any playing time at guard but may at center - but how many have been moved over? how many have taken important/live game snaps?

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

2021 Depth Chart vs Kansas

image.png.f90dee95e5efd590bffa59f8f6572d50.png

Not having the bodies/talent to replace him in 2021 and in 2022 all those bodies were true freshmen that actually do have the talent to replace him. Hell in spring 2021 we couldn't even have a proper spring game due to lack of bodies on the OL. So technically this is the 1st year in which we have the bodies and talent to replace him.

image.png

so again, you are saying that in the last 880 days which covers 2 full off seasons, 2 recruiting cycles, multiple opportunities in the portal and shifting people over in the OL room...and he hasn't found the time to replace him or had an opportunity?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

as a reminder, we have a huge glut of dudes on the roster who can't find any playing time at guard but may at center - but how many have been moved over? how many have taken important/live game snaps?

so again, you are saying that in the last 880 days which covers 2 full off seasons, 2 recruiting cycles, multiple opportunities in the portal and shifting people over in the OL room...and he hasn't found the time to replace him or had an opportunity?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Aside from the 1st year where we didn't have enough bodies for a full spring game and our depth chart was hot ass? We have Angilau last off-season/fall before he tore his ACL. We have Conner working there now and was starting center for the team opposite of Majors this spring game. I'm sure we'll see him among others work there. I don't know why you continually try and defend Majors as if he's some great center. He's a liability and his inability to block certain parts of our offense hinders us tremendously. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Aside from the 1st year where we didn't have enough bodies for a full spring game and our depth chart was hot ass? We have Angilau last off-season/fall before he tore his ACL. We have Conner working there now and was starting center for the team opposite of Majors this spring game. I'm sure we'll see him among others work there. I don't know why you continually try and defend Majors as if he's some great center. He's a liability and his inability to block certain parts of our offense hinders us tremendously. 

I think the difference is you are talking in extremes. Majors isnt terrible. He is not great either. There are 5 positions on the OL. Last season the 2 biggest problems were at Guard. Majors struggles vs larger NTs in the run game. He has never seemed to develop that strong base. He is good on the move and I dont recall many issues in pass pro. He knows his assignments and is generally mediocre. In a perfect world Texas would replace him, but that is not reality. Texas needs to fix the guard positions first. You have not seen Flood throw bodies at the center position, because he is throwing a lot of young talent at guard right now. If Guard was solidified, you might have seen Campbell or Neto at center. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5

All 3 interior o-line positions were poor last season but, because of the importance of the role, an argument can be made that a mediocre Center is more harmful (and/or less easy to compensate for) than a poor Guard. 

Edited by Josef Pwag
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think the difference is you are talking in extremes. Majors isnt terrible. He is not great either. There are 5 positions on the OL. Last season the 2 biggest problems were at Guard. Majors struggles vs larger NTs in the run game. He has never seemed to develop that strong base. He is good on the move and I dont recall many issues in pass pro. He knows his assignments and is generally mediocre. In a perfect world Texas would replace him, but that is not reality. Texas needs to fix the guard positions first. You have not seen Flood throw bodies at the center position, because he is throwing a lot of young talent at guard right now. If Guard was solidified, you might have seen Campbell or Neto at center. 

21599aa7-f682-4214-9329-65d9b7fd997b_tex

19 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

All 3 interior o-line positions were poor last season but, because of the importance of the role, an argument can be made that a mediocre Center is more harmful (and/or less easy to compensate for) than a poor Guard. 

True, but Center is a spot that generally requires higher football IQ. You are not going to remove a 4 year starter at center, knowing you have youth at the Guard positions. You need someone that is able to make the calls. Last year you had true Freshman (Banks) , Soph 1st time starter (Conner), 3 year starter (Majors),  true Freshmen (Hutson), 2 year Starter (Jones). You can throw in a first year starter at QB, so who was going to make the line calls? Remember OL is all about consistency. If all 5 guys get a C grade on every block in a game, the offense will likely score 40+. You cant have confusion and missed assignments, it only takes 1 missed assignment to wipe out the benefit of 4 great blocks on the OL. 

Edited by Codaxx

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

True, but Center is a spot that generally requires higher football IQ. You are not going to remove a 4 year starter at center, knowing you have youth at the Guard positions. You need someone that is able to make the calls. Last year you had true Freshman (Banks) , Soph 1st time starter (Conner), 3 year starter (Majors),  true Freshmen (Hutson), 2 year Starter (Jones). You can throw in a first year starter at QB, so who was going to make the line calls? Remember OL is all about consistency. If all 5 guys get a C grade on every block in a game, the offense will likely score 40+. You cant have confusion and missed assignments, it only takes 1 missed assignment to wipe out the benefit of 4 great blocks on the OL.

stop making so much sense here!

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How did Angilau do at Oregon?

he blew out his ACL in practice 1 last year and transferred in sring maybe? he committed in December 22

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

I think there are two arguments to be had. Center really has two roles, one is brains, the other is braun. Majors is a quality starter from an above the neck perspective. He gets guys into the right calls and knows the system. His biggest drawback is that he is just not good enough or big enough to handle powerful 0 and 1 techniques by himself. I thought he played the game of his life against Bama, but that was just because he didn't get pushed into Quinn's lap all day. He never created any movement in the run game. 

Angilau had overtaken him last fall prior to injury, my bet is that Conner supplants him this fall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So we really believe the coaches would have rolled with Angilau at center last fall with Hutson at RG instead of Majors at C and Angilau at RG if everyone was healthy?

I don't. 

Hutson and Conner were both worse than Majors last year. It appears both were dealing with injuries so that might explain some of it, but they need to improve their own play before we talk about them taking other people's jobs.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I think there are two arguments to be had. Center really has two roles, one is brains, the other is braun. Majors is a quality starter from an above the neck perspective. He gets guys into the right calls and knows the system. His biggest drawback is that he is just not good enough or big enough to handle powerful 0 and 1 techniques by himself. I thought he played the game of his life against Bama, but that was just because he didn't get pushed into Quinn's lap all day. He never created any movement in the run game. 

Angilau had overtaken him last fall prior to injury, my bet is that Conner supplants him this fall. 

Angilau didn't catch the eyes of Hand or Flood at Center when he was put there.  He was a good OG, that's it

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:06 AM, Josef Pwag said:

Flood & Sark have been completely opposed to signing any interior offensive linemen in three offseasons. If they get to the Big 12 title game this year, their strategy will be 100% vindicated. I will admit that.

Wat

• Hook 'Em 1

Bringing in an above average lineman is pretty tough when you have a solid 2 deep. It isn't impossible but I figure that it is more important to keep Neto, Campbell, and Williams than bring in a JAG. So, it would have to be the ideal guy to make the juice worth the squeeze.

On 6/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, NoName said:

The new "Zach Shackleford isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "Dominic Espinoza isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "David Snow isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "Chris Hall isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Which was the new "Lyle Sendlein isn't that good and player X should replace him at C this year”

Whoever said that about sendlein should get kicked in the nuts for eternity. Lol

On 6/12/2023 at 2:06 PM, Josef Pwag said:

Flood & Sark have been completely opposed to signing any interior offensive linemen in three offseasons. If they get to the Big 12 title game this year, their strategy will be 100% vindicated. I will admit that.

Jenn-Loss.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

24 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

He’s a new destructive back

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There really should be a position named that

Good name for whatever it was Dylan Haines did

• Rage+1 1