2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I got a slew of downvotes at the end of the 2010 Iowa State game when I posted my "Fuck you, Mack Brown!" rant thread. It was obvious then that we were completely rudderless and our recruiting fears had come true. I got called every name in the book for recognizing the truth by many longtime posters, including several who still post here.

spacer.png

One of my favorite thread titles I've ever written was "Punt on First Down" the week following the Iowa State 2010 game. Analyzing that game is still fucking hilarious. We were taking a snap inside the Texas 10 yard line late in the game, down by 7 and it was 4th and 15. The entire free world knows you're going to have to throw the ball more than 20 yards for any kind of prayer to be answered. Greg Davis called a ... play action pass. Hahahahahaha.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of my favorite thread titles I've ever written was "Punt on First Down" the week following the Iowa State 2010 game. Analyzing that game is still fucking hilarious. We were taking a snap inside the Texas 10 yard line late in the game, down by 7 and it was 4th and 15. The entire free world knows you're going to have to throw the ball more than 20 yards for any kind of prayer to be answered. Greg Davis called a ... play action pass. Hahahahahaha.

I was at that game, and the reaction from the people around me to that play call, mid-play, was hilarious. A mixture of groans and laughter. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This exact play caused me to get heckled by a gopher coworker the following Monday.  Do you have any idea how humiliating it is to  be laughed at in football by a Minnesota fan?  

25 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

This exact play caused me to get heckled by a gopher coworker the following Monday.  Do you have any idea how humiliating it is to  be laughed at in football by a Minnesota fan?  

At least Minnesota has won 4 AP national titles in football. I've been heckled in offices by Baylor and Texas Tech fans, sir, and I can tell you that I indeed understand the humiliation of living through the last 13 years of Texas football.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At least Minnesota has won 4 AP national titles in football. I've been heckled in offices by Baylor and Texas Tech fans, sir, and I can tell you that I indeed understand the humiliation of living through the last 13 years of Texas football.

I work with a bunch of Aggies who never say shit about football ever since Sumlin flopped. They wanted the banter in the Jonny football days and shortly after, but since then I swear they don't even fucking follow college football.

Broken pussy fan base. 

I go all in and get fired up every year even when Florida and Texas have been shitty I'm just looking for that ray of sunshine like when we hung 72 on Tech for my son's first in person football game. 

Fall camp is going to be excellent

We're gonna beat Alabama and win the big 12 in it's last year. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

It was Cal.  I looked it up.  He set the school total offense record and threw for more yards than Goff did in the game.  364 passing yards and 163 rushing.

Ah yes, that game and comeback was super fun until Nick fucking Rose shanked the tying PAT 

Heard's performance was an unfortunate casualty of my repression of that game. Was. 

• Rage+1 2

In the spirit of this fun thread I looked at the 2007 Rivals Texas top 100. Mack nabbed 12 of the top 20 in the state but a lot of those guys sucked. Earl, Keenan and Curtis Brown were the only good ones and Brown never played to his 5* rating. The best players on the state were 

Von 29

ET 19

Dez 7

Keenan 13

Tannehill 88

Foles 99

Mallett 1

Probably a case of rivals giving waaay to much deference to Mack and a lot of bad evals all the way around. Also I wonder what Brock Mansion is up to

21 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Britt Mitchell, face plant false start against aggy in 2010 is all I remember from 2010.

im still not sure how the beat #5 Nebraska 20-13 @ NEB in 2010.

Gilbert was 4/16 for 62 yards (and 41 of those came on one play, 3 of the 4 catches went to RB!), 11/71 rushing with 2 TDs

image.png.fb2ee1acb54089f0d6554d85b6d3dceb.png

28 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Because for whatever reason Nebraska is our bitch and nothing is going to change that. 

Would you honestly take Nebraska's roster over ours anytime after 2000?

Edited by Vertigo

On 5/25/2023 at 1:30 PM, Red Five said:

I was about to counter that with some of the offers we DIDN'T make from that era, but lets just all enjoy our Memorial Day weekend shall we. 

I have to work Monday, so just start the list already! 

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Really, it was Colt in particular that absolutely saved his ass.  I saw Colt play basketball in high school at the State Tournament, and the whole time during warmups I was convinced this bigger more athletic kid they had on their team must be Colt.  He wasn't even the best athlete on a 2A basketball team, and there is no fucking way Mack ever really expected him to be our starter during that recruitment.  Then he turns into one of the best, most accurate QBs in college football history.  Our 2008 and 2009 offenses would have blown goats like the 2010 offense if we had Jevan Snead instead of Colt F'n McCoy.

Just my attempt at summarizing what happened.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

im still not sure how the beat #5 Nebraska 20-13 @ NEB in 2010.

Gilbert was 4/16 for 62 yards (and 41 of those came on one play, 3 of the 4 catches went to RB!), 11/71 rushing with 2 TDs

image.png.fb2ee1acb54089f0d6554d85b6d3dceb.png

I was at that UCLA game…first time ever leaving a Texas game shortly after halftime 

Cross posting, FYI.

Sarkisian lands longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as special assistant to head coach

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Sarkisian lands longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as special assistant to head coach

Chip Brown

Steve Sarkisian has landed longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as a special assistant to the head coach for the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation confirmed to Horns247.

DeCamillis, 57, most recently was the special teams coach for the Los Angeles Rams when the Rams won Super Bowl LVI. DeCamillis, who also won a Super Bowl as the special teams coach of the Denver Broncos in 2015, was let go by the Rams in January.

Among the responsibilities given to De Camillis will be sharing ideas with Texas tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks, the source said.

DeCamillis was the special teams coach of the Dallas Cowboys from 2009-13 and suffered extensive injuries, including a fractured cervical vertebrae in his neck, when the Cowboys’ practice facility collapsed during a wind storm on May 2, 2009. DeCamillis recovered from the injuries following surgery.

DeCamillis spent the previous 31 years as an NFL special teams coach/coordinator, beginning as an assistant special teams coach for his father-in-law, then Denver Broncos head coach Dan Reeves, in 1991 and 1992.

DeCamillis has also served as the special teams coach for the New York Giants (1993-96); Atlanta Falcons (1997-2006); Jacksonville Jaguars (2007-08); Dallas Cowboys (2009-12); Chicago Bears (2013-14); Denver Broncos (2015-16); Jaguars (2017-20); and Rams (2021-22).

As Horns247 reported previously, Sarkisian also appears to have found his replacement for former TCU head coach Gary Patterson as a special assistant - Payam Saadat (pronounced PIE-um suh-DOT), a longtime defensive coordinator at schools including Portland State and Army who has specialized in unconventional defenses.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Nope said:

Yep, I was a UT student in 2010.

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Well, be thankful you missed it.

F alla y'all. 

I endured 5 win seasons wrapped around Shock the Nation. In exchange for graduating with no job, I got to cheer on a loss to Rice. 

I do not want to hear your bitching about route 66, or any other traumatic single loss. 

I lived that shit with my life. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/25/2023 at 5:30 PM, Zeus said:

I work with a bunch of Aggies who never say shit about football ever since Sumlin flopped. They wanted the banter in the Jonny football days and shortly after, but since then I swear they don't even fucking follow college football.

Broken pussy fan base. 

I go all in and get fired up every year even when Florida and Texas have been shitty I'm just looking for that ray of sunshine like when we hung 72 on Tech for my son's first in person football game. 

Fall camp is going to be excellent

We're gonna beat Alabama and win the big 12 in it's last year. 

Can I come work in your office? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

F alla y'all. 

I endured 5 win seasons wrapped around Shock the Nation. In exchange for graduating with no job, I got to cheer on a loss to Rice. 

I do not want to hear your bitching about route 66, or any other traumatic single loss. 

I lived that shit with my life

I knew a lot of the late 80s to early 90s guys and played football with a handful of them. It was pretty obvious we didn’t have the talent. We had a few guys like Tony Jones and Eric Metcalf, Kerry Cash, Shane Dronett, Giles, and Grady Cavness but had too many Omar Saleh, Jeff Boyd, Mark Berry, and Patrick McFarlan type guys.

Edited by Bevo

Cross posting, FYI.

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Chip Brown

Steve Sarkisian has landed longtime NFL special teams coach Joe DeCamillis as a special assistant to the head coach for the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation confirmed to Horns247.

DeCamillis, 57, most recently was the special teams coach for the Los Angeles Rams when the Rams won Super Bowl LVI. DeCamillis, who also won a Super Bowl as the special teams coach of the Denver Broncos in 2015, was let go by the Rams in January.

Among the responsibilities given to De Camillis will be sharing ideas with Texas tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Jeff Banks, the source said.

DeCamillis was the special teams coach of the Dallas Cowboys from 2009-13 and suffered extensive injuries, including a fractured cervical vertebrae in his neck, when the Cowboys’ practice facility collapsed during a wind storm on May 2, 2009. DeCamillis recovered from the injuries following surgery.

DeCamillis spent the previous 31 years as an NFL special teams coach/coordinator, beginning as an assistant special teams coach for his father-in-law, then Denver Broncos head coach Dan Reeves, in 1991 and 1992.

DeCamillis has also served as the special teams coach for the New York Giants (1993-96); Atlanta Falcons (1997-2006); Jacksonville Jaguars (2007-08); Dallas Cowboys (2009-12); Chicago Bears (2013-14); Denver Broncos (2015-16); Jaguars (2017-20); and Rams (2021-22).

As Horns247 reported previously, Sarkisian also appears to have found his replacement for former TCU head coach Gary Patterson as a special assistant - Payam Saadat (pronounced PIE-um suh-DOT), a longtime defensive coordinator at schools including Portland State and Army who has specialized in unconventional defenses.

I remember DeCamillas from back when I still gave a shit about the fightin' Joneses.

Great hire, guy was a trooper after the Cowboys practice facility (similar to our gotdam bubble) blew down in a storm and nearly killed him. He was back on the sidelines with a neck brace in no time at all..