Religion, weaponized religion, and the separation of church and state

Patricio Swayze

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Houston Pastor Ed Young calls Biden 'godless' in anti-immigration sermon

On Sunday morning, Pastor Ed Young once again appeared to lead a political gathering under the guise of a religious service at Houston's Second Baptist Church, receiving applause from congregants while blasting President Joe Biden as "godless" for supposedly allowing "countless millions" of migrants into the United States and for declaring Easter to now be Transgender Day of Visibility.

During Young's message, delivered hours after Israel faced attacks from Iran, the 87-year-old Southern Baptist told his predominantly white, conservative-leaning congregation that they're "in the most critical moment perhaps ever in the history" of the U.S. "Our godless president and his entourage has led in countless millions into our land without having an idea of who they are, where they come from," Young said. "Except we know that thousands and thousands come from countries that are determined to destroy us in any way shape that they can use."

The pastor then suggested that Iran refers to Israel as "little Satan" and the U.S. as "big Satan" and said Iran would attack Americans if possible. "How many cells are all across our land?" Young asked. "Nobody knows because we have an administration who has turned their back on the security of their land with the idea that we want to keep power at any price, at any cost, therefore we'll change the whole demographics of America whatever it cost in human life."

Standing on stage at his megachurch, Young parroted rhetoric from the Trump campaign and other Republican politicians in claiming that Biden had "blasphemed" and "attacked" Christianity for issuing a "proclamation" celebrating transgender people on Easter (Transgender Day of Visibility has been recognized on March 31 since 2009, and the date just happened to coincide with this year’s Easter Sunday.) Young told an applauding crowd that he would pray for "those in the middle of dysphoria who think they have to make a decision as to whether I'm a male or whether I'm a female—which is contrary to everything scientifically, biologically, or according to God's creative order of creating male and female."

Young also criticized medical professionals for having "bought into this godlessness" of gender affirmation surgery. "By presidential proclamation, Joseph Biden selected this past Easter as a time in which there is a coming out of—whatever that means—and I guess honoring and affirming those who feel like God made a tragic mistake when they were brought into this earth as male or as female," Young said. "I've never known a more godless attack on Christianity by the president of the United States in all the history of our land."

Young's anti-immigration and anti-LGBTQ rhetoric has been typical at Second Baptist Church services in recent months. During a February sermon, the pastor referred to people crossing the U.S.-Mexico border as "undesirable," "garbage" and "raff" as he added that America "is lost through foolishness." A few weeks later, Indivisible Houston, a nonpartisan progressive organization, called for Young's resignation while projecting the message "Jesus was a migrant" on the grounds of Second Baptist Church's Woodway campus.

Despite the backlash, Young, the former SBC president whose been leading the local church since 1978, continues to reign as one of the most popular and influential religious figures in Texas. His congregation of about 18,000 members includes Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who earlier this week joined Young for an on-site luncheon organized by the American Renewal Project, a group recruiting and training conservative pastors to run for political office.

"Today, it is a battle of darkness and light," Patrick said at the private meeting. "There are people who pray to God, believe in God, raise their families in God's work and there are people over here who don’t believe in God and want to kick God out. They hate God. That’s the battle we're in."

https://www.chron.com/culture/religion/article/ed-young-biden-godless-19402656.php

Starts at 29:50 if anyone cares to watch, last about 5 mins, he straight up lies saying Biden picked Easter as the day to celebrates transgender and of course talking politics from the pulpit. Isn't this a violation of the Johnson amendment?

Edited by Smax
  • Rage+1 7

1 hour ago, Smax said:

https://www.chron.com/culture/religion/article/ed-young-biden-godless-19402656.php

Starts at 29:50 if anyone cares to watch, last about 5 mins, he straight up lies saying Biden picked Easter as the day to celebrates transgender and of course talking politics from the pulpit. Isn't this a violation of the Johnson amendment?

I've posted extensively on this topic over the past couple of years, in various threads, because I live in Houstona and I see this shit first hand. He's been violating the laws of the Johnson act and tax exampt status qualifications for a long fucking time, but the last 2-3 years it has been FLAGRANT. No one does shit. 

• Rage+1 7

1 hour ago, Smax said:

He left out:

image.png.3e13402c6589d95724773592ebc36c40.png

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Any member of this charlatan's "church" is most likely a MAGAt anyway. They've heard way worse bullshit. 

But fuck him and his congregation.

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Any member of this charlatan's "church" is most likely a MAGAt anyway. They've heard way worse bullshit. 

But fuck him and his congregation.

Well, you're not familar with Houston, I take it. It's the second biggest church in Houston, behind only Lakewood, w/ over 25k or so members. At least two very massive campuses. And one very massive private school complex in the heart of Tanglewood in Houston, which is a very expensive neighborhood. 

It's not that they have heard worse, it's how many people we're talking about and the sway they hold. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Well, you're not familar with Houston, I take it. It's the second biggest church in Houston, behind only Lakewood, w/ over 25k or so members. At least two very massive campuses. And one very massive private school complex in the heart of Tanglewood in Houston, which is a very expensive neighborhood. 

It's not that they have heard worse, it's how many people we're talking about and the sway they hold. 

Not disagreeing with anything you said. I know who Ed Young is. We lived in Dallas and had friends who were regulars at his son's, Ed Jr, "church" in Grapevine. We have "friends" who are in Olsteen's flock. Ed Youngs website clearly details what type of bullshit christianity that he preaches. I doubt anyone who goes there is voting for Biden. Same for Ed Jr's flock, same for Olsteen's flock. They are exactly the type of "christians" who have perverted the Republican party.

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Not disagreeing with anything you said. I know who Ed Young is. We lived in Dallas and had friends who were regulars at his son's, Ed Jr, "church" in Grapevine. We have "friends" who are in Olsteen's flock. Ed Youngs website clearly details what type of bullshit christianity that he preaches. I doubt anyone who goes there is voting for Biden. Same for Ed Jr's flock, same for Olsteen's flock. They are exactly the type of "christians" who have perverted the Republican party.

I know we're on the same page here. And yes, you're right, those fucks were never voting for Biden. The problem is, if they have 25k members, that probably makes 100k general adherents and people who just attend church there every week. Now imagine 100k and their no doubt brainwashed children out there spreading that poison at every opportunity. That is...an insanely large number of people. Lakewood Church has over 40k members. Toss in another 150-175k crazies. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know we're on the same page here. And yes, you're right, those fucks were never voting for Biden. The problem is, if they have 25k members, that probably makes 100k general adherents and people who just attend church there every week. Now imagine 100k and their no doubt brainwashed children out there spreading that poison at every opportunity. That is...an insanely large number of people. Lakewood Church has over 40k members. Toss in another 150-175k crazies. 

That doesn't phase me one bit.

Trump got 10 fucking million more votes in 2020 than in 2016. 10 fucking million people who didn't vote for Trump in 2016 saw the complete bullshit that was his presidency and thought, "Gee golly, I'm mad that I didn't vote for him last time but I want 4 more years of chaos, pettiness, lying, and racism."

That broke me for the future of this country. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

That doesn't phase me one bit.

Trump got 10 fucking million more votes in 2020 than in 2016. 10 fucking million people who didn't vote for Trump in 2016 saw the complete bullshit that was his presidency and thought, "Gee golly, I'm mad that I didn't vote for him last time but I want 4 more years of chaos, pettiness, lying, and racism."

That broke me for the future of this country. 

Well, I've got some semi-good news for you!  This country has no future!

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've posted extensively on this topic over the past couple of years, in various threads, because I live in Houstona and I see this shit first hand. He's been violating the laws of the Johnson act and tax exampt status qualifications for a long fucking time, but the last 2-3 years it has been FLAGRANT. No one does shit. 

Sooo where or who would a concerned citizen report this too?

Not that said citizen expects anything to happen, especially in Texas but just curious

11 minutes ago, Smax said:

Sooo where or who would a concerned citizen report this too?

Not that said citizen expects anything to happen, especially in Texas but just curious

I've been using this:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-08-13.pdf
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

Filing a Complaint A referral of an exempt organization may be made by submitting Form 13909, TaxExempt Organization Complaint (Referral) Form, downloadable from IRS.gov. Form 13909 and any supporting documentation may be submitted in a variety of ways. They can be sent via: • Mail to IRS EO Classification, Mail Code 4910DAL, 1100 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75242-1198, • Fax to 514-413-5415, • Email to eoclass@irs.gov, or • Telephone by calling the TE/GE toll-free number: 877-829-5500.

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s sanctioned by a Supreme Court who believes that separation of church and state means the state separates itself and allows the church to do itself whatever it wants.

They all walked into a public arena. In the daytime. With signs for the Stronger Mens Conference plastered everywhere. Gotta say, they're already stronger than me. No way I'd be able to do that. That's even a few steps above walking through the parking lot of a strip club on the corner of a busy intersection at 11am with your head held high. Very strong. Or maybe just shameless.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They all walked into a public arena. In the daytime. With signs for the Stronger Mens Conference plastered everywhere. Gotta say, they're already stronger than me. No way I'd be able to do that. That's even a few steps above walking through the parking lot of a strip club on the corner of a busy intersection at 11am with your head held high. Very strong. Or maybe just shameless.

Clueless. They're clueless. 

Mad respect for the dudes rolling out of the strip club at 9 am. 

12 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Not gonna lie that looks awesome.

It's like a Dude Perfect tour but for grown ups instead of pre-teen boys. Looks like wholesome fun to me.

This can’t be a serious post. I mean come on. 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:46 PM, Pancho said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952opciw5fodavgrqykmkj

12 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Not gonna lie that looks awesome.

It's like a Dude Perfect tour but for grown ups instead of pre-teen boys. Looks like wholesome fun to me.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952opciw5fodavgrqykmkj

• Haha 6