Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

"You want to bid on that lone hot dog sir?  It's been here since the Abe Lemons era, are you insane?" 

BiffTannen, "What?  It's a perfectly sane thing to bid on and eat!...Interesting texture." 

There's a 70% chance I'm gonna go in there and just grab some shit on Monday.  Hopefully I don't get in trouble.  

Edited by YGIFS

6 hours ago, RichUT said:

Oops. He couldn’t get out of his own way. It’s crazy to me to think about having such a bright future and pissing it away because you don’t understand how to treat women with respect.

Get and agree with your point, but you don’t even have to treat them with respect, just don’t be a felony-committing sociopath.

One time I think “Hope this kid gets some help”, second time “Keep this dude in a place where he won’t do it a third time”….

Some team updates from Gerry

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns regular season opener is just 29 days away with practices and preparation well underway.

Rodney Terry and staff are working to get everyone comfortable on both ends of the floor this month with seven new scholarship players on the roster.

The guards’ perimeter ability will be a strength of this team, along with added height, length and experience on the interior.

Inside Texas provides some of the latest heard about the Horns early on in practice.

High-end three-point shooting team

The Texas Longhorns could and should be the best three-point shooting team in over a decade in Austin. There are several reasons for that. One, the six players that will take the majority of the threes shot 36.3% last season. Those players are Max Abmas, Ithiel Horton, Tyrese Hunter, Brock Cunningham Chendall Weaver and Dylan Disu.

Texas will play three guards plenty this season, and that means Abmas, Horton and Hunter will be on the court a lot together. Those three players combined to hit 253 three-pointers last season. Abmas is a career 38.8% three-point shooter with 420 makes. Horton is a career 37.6% three-point-shooter with 225 makes. The duo will provide Texas the ability to his threes in bunches. There will likely be a game or three this season in which the duo combines for 11-12 threes in a game. Abmas can shoot it off the catch or in the ball screen game at an All-Big 12 First-Team level. Horton is very good from the wings and corners on the catch with a quick release at 6-foot-4. Those two will help open up the court for Hunter. Expecting Hunter to improve on his 33.7% from three last year is a given. A season of 35-36% from three is not out of question.

Brock Cunningham and Dylan Disu provide two forwards that can stretch the floor or help open up the floor even more. Cunningham shot over 40% from three last season, and that role will expand in 2023-24.

The ability to keep the floor open, provide space for Hunter and Abmas to work and create ideal wing attack angles off the bounce are all going to be predicated on the Horns being as good as expected from three. Should Texas shoot 37-38% from three as a team, they will be very difficult to defend with the parts on the roster.

Newcomer guards

Sophomore shooting guard Chendall Weaver and freshman combo guard Chris Johnson are impressing early on in practice, while also developing in different areas. Texas may not have had two young/first year guards to bring off the bench with this combination of size and athleticism in a while.

Weaver’s explosiveness shows up on defense and in transition the most. While he can make open shots and make plays around the rim, his ability with the ball in the half court will be key in his development long term. He will become a fan favorite with his winning traits.

Johnson, 6-foot-4.5, has terrific court vision and instincts. Training with T.J. Ford for several years has also helped in that regard. Johnson still has to not force things at times, and learn to take care of the ball more consistently at the Power 5 level. He’s putting in the time on the court, and then some. He’s a very basketball focused player that Texas will need to be a third playmaker at guard this season.

Freshman 6-foot-7 wing Devon Pryor turns heads every day in practice. He won’t likely be seen on the court this season unless there are a string of injuries. Remember this name in 2024-2025 and beyond. He’s got about as high of a ceiling as anyone in the program.

Big men remain on the mend

Transfer center Kadin Shedrick is taking part more and more in practice. He’s not all the way back 100%, but he’s on track to be ready to go for the regular season. He’s mixing into more team portions of practice now. His 6-foot-10.5 size with experience and basketball IQ is already seen as being impactful for the Texas team and program.

Dylan Disu is not expected to be ready for the start of the season. The question of if he will take the floor in late November or early December is the question to be answered in the next month.

Texas with Shedrick and Ze’rik Onyema will be an improved interior team defensively. More length, plus Onyema is a physical defender. Staying out of foul trouble will be key for Onyema.

Obviously, a healthy Disu with Shedrick and Onyema and year older Dillon Mitchell would give Texas a potent roster that can compete with about anyone when combined with the guards and Cunningham.

Best free throw shooting team in program history?

Bottom line, this team should be the best free throw shooting team in program history. The Texas roster that played college basketball last season shot 77.1% from the line. That is Abmas (91.9%), Hunter (80.0%), Horton (83.3%), Cunningham (87.1%), Disu (77.8%), Weaver (70.3%), Kadin Shedrick (79.4%), Dillon Mitchell (40.5%) and Ze’rik Onyema (55.7%).

The Longhorns are going to have the ability to put five players on the floor in late game situations that all shot 77.8% or better in 2022-23. Abmas, Hunter, Horton, Cunningham, Shedrick and Disu combined to shoot 85.0% in 2022-23.

The Texas Longhorns scholarship roster

The Longhorns 2023-24 roster has 12 scholarship players with a walk-on filling out the 13th scholarship spot.

PG Tyrese Hunter, 6-0.5, junior (10.3 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists)
CG Max Abmas, 6-0, super senior (21.9 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.0 assists at ORU)
SG Ithiel Horton, 6-4.5, super-duper senior (12.1 points, 3.7 rebounds, 1.6 assists at UCF)
SG Chendall Weaver, 6-3, sophomore (9.5 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.0 assists at UTA)
CG Chris Johnson, 6-4, freshman
SF Devon Pryor, 6-7, freshman
SF Alex Anamekwe, 6-5.5, sophomore (1.5 points, 0.7 rebounds)
F Brock Cunningham, 6-5.5, super-duper senior (4.6 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.4 assists)
F Dillon Mitchell, 6-8, sophomore (4.3 points, 3.9 rebounds)
PF Dylan Disu, 6-9, super senior (8.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks)
PF Ze’Rik Onyema, 6-8, senior (7.1 points, 4.4 rebounds, 0.5 blocks at UTEP)
C Kadin Shedrick, 6-11, senior (6.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.4 blocks at Virginia)

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's our best effort at the line all-time?

From Gerry in the comments of the article

On free throw shooting ... this could be easily the best team Texas has had in over two decades (maybe ever)

Best free throw shooting teams since the Final Four team in 2002-03:

2022-23 = 75.2% (Elite Eight)
2021-22 = 74.9%
2011-12 = 73.1%
2006-07 = 72.8%
2014-15 = 72.5%
2005-06 = 72.1% (Elite Eight)
2002-03 = 71.5% (Final Four)

This team shot 77.1% last season (the roster in college basketball last season). If Texas shoots 77-77.5% ... they will have a strong season.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Good that Disu could be back late November/early December instead of late December 

Skeptical it makes any difference.  The last time he had a long layoff it took him forever and a year to be himself again.  Maybe the foot thing will be easier to come back from than a knee, but not holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

We've been so bad from the line for so long I just don't believe it.  I have battered wife syndrome.

This is where I'm at with 3 point shooting as well. We've been worse at the line than we've been from deep, but I still struggle to think of the last team that really caused any of our opponents to guard us differently because we shot the ball so well. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

We've been so bad from the line for so long I just don't believe it.  I have battered wife syndrome.

My eyes say yes, but my memory says no.  It's like the mass effect of thinking Nelson Mandela had died long before he really did.  

Battered Mandela's Syndrome.  Is that a thing in Longhorn hoops?  

50 minutes ago, txhorns said:

55 out of 350+ is pretty good.  Especially when the statement was that we’ve been so bad for so long.

We have been so bad for so long.  Did you miss the "battered wife syndrome" part of my post?

Jesus, you people will parse anything.  Tell me, if you've been following Texas basketball for, say, more than 20  years, would you consider this a "good free-throw shooting program"?

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We have been so bad for so long.  Did you miss the "battered wife syndrome" part of my post?

Jesus, you people will parse anything.  Tell me, if you've been following Texas basketball for, say, more than 20  years, would you consider this a "good free-throw shooting program"?

20 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

From Gerry in the comments of the article

On free throw shooting ... this could be easily the best team Texas has had in over two decades (maybe ever)

Best free throw shooting teams since the Final Four team in 2002-03:

2022-23 = 75.2% (Elite Eight)
2021-22 = 74.9%
2011-12 = 73.1%
2006-07 = 72.8%
2014-15 = 72.5%
2005-06 = 72.1% (Elite Eight)
2002-03 = 71.5% (Final Four)

This team shot 77.1% last season (the roster in college basketball last season). If Texas shoots 77-77.5% ... they will have a strong season.

That's 7 seasons in the last 20 over 71 percent as a team. That's far from bad. 

There's been times they've had seasons that were below average but they haven't been anywhere near bad for so long. It's ok to just say "I remembered wrong" when hit with cold hard data that shows you're wrong.