Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

lol at PilotsError being a little bitch and negging posts from a week ago.   Go root for Ole Miss, if you love that sawed-off rage monger so much.

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

why do we even post this shit?

like they don’t know what’s coming:

IMG_6378.thumb.jpeg.966b0f7046724f591a46e1ba6b6adc28.jpeg

What's coming? 

Edited by Samson's Wig

On 1/12/2024 at 11:21 AM, YGIFS said:

Neither athletic dept. has that down yet, but I do see it on the flagship website, so thank you.  Gonna take my BiL to the game and I guess some breakfast tacos and get him liquored up at 9:00a for the early tip.  

Sucks that it'll be so early that we won't have a raucous crowd but all students will be back on campus so that should help.  Holiday break games are a fucking beating, even in the Moody Center with so little noise.  

It’s officially 11am 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The problem is once losses start piling up there are going to be transfers. It already looks like Hunter has completely quit on the team. 

Oh well. Shedrick, Disu, Mitchell, Abmas and Horton were already set to depart anyway. And if dudes like Chris Johnson could do anything they would be getting minutes.

If Hunter is our one 'oh no' deflection then so be it.

on the season, baylor is no.2 in the country in three point shooting (behind ole miss 😡), however during big xii play they are 13th in the league, shooting only 25.6% from deep thus far. now here comes Texas, 178th in the country against the three ball, and 13th in the league at defending it during league play. looks like a slump buster if i’ve ever seen one. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oh well. Shedrick, Disu, Mitchell, Abmas and Horton were already set to depart anyway. And if dudes like Chris Johnson could do anything they would be getting minutes.

If Hunter is our one 'oh no' deflection then so be it.

I'm not really worried about the roster with a good coach. 

See what Beard did in year 1 with the portal after all the roster turnover and see what Sark is doing in the portal. NIL seems like it's a major advantage for us with the right coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm not really worried about the roster with a good coach. 

See what Beard did in year 1 with the portal after all the roster turnover and see what Sark is doing in the portal. NIL seems like it's a major advantage for us with the right coach. 

beard and sark kill the portal because they win a lot and they’re great salesmen. coaches like that aren’t just sitting out there waiting to be hired. there’s no guarantee that our next coach kills it in the portal just because two of our best coaches did so.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

beard and sark kill the portal because they win a lot and they’re great salesmen. coaches like that aren’t just sitting out there waiting to be hired. there’s no guarantee that our next coach kills it in the portal just because two of our best coaches did so.

Every major program at Texas is recruiting at insane levels (both portal and HS recruiting).

RT has no real accolades as a head coach and he has the #6 recruiting class in '24 and brought in a couple top 25 transfers this last cycle. It will take a huge failure to find a coach that can't recruit at Texas right now. 

Also, Sark had not been "winning a lot" prior to this year. He's done a damn good job of maximizing the advantages he has with NIL so I give him credit for that. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Every major program at Texas is recruiting at insane levels (both portal and HS recruiting).

RT has no real accolades as a head coach and he has the #6 recruiting class in '24 and brought in a couple top 25 transfers this last cycle. It will take a huge failure to find a coach that can't recruit at Texas right now. 

Also, Sark had not been "winning a lot" prior to this year. He's done a damn good job of maximizing the advantages he has with NIL so I give him credit for that. 

killing it in the portal isn’t just signing the top rated guys but signing the right guys for your system/program. it’s a lot harder to actually fit the players in together and help them all thrive than it is to sign them. i have no doubt that we will sign highly rated classes, but it’s mot a given that our next coach will know what to do with said players, a la barnes and beard, and unlike shaka and RT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In all the major sports, I would say they're all recruiting at a top 5ish level (HS recruiting and portal combined). Football for sure, volleyball for sure, women's basketball for sure, softball for sure, and men's basketball is definitely around that when you consider what Beard/RT have added the last couple of years.

The weakest recruiter out of all the major sports is probably David Pierce and damn even he's seeing the advantages of the new landscape (I.e. the #4 recruiting class in '24 and #2 recruiting class in '25). 

It would take a huge failure to not be able to recruit at Texas right now. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

killing it in the portal isn’t just signing the top rated guys but signing the right guys for your system/program. it’s a lot harder to actually fit the players in together and help them all thrive than it is to sign them. i have no doubt that we will sign highly rated classes, but it’s mot a given that our next coach will know what to do with said players, a la barnes and beard, and unlike shaka and RT. 

Well yeah, you still need a good coach. 

But Disu, Carr, Allen, Hunter, and Bishop were all highly-rated transfers. It's not like Beard went out there and recruited a bunch of nobodies from the portal and prioritized fit. He added legit studs from the portal. 

Of course you also need a coach that knows how to make those studs fit together. 

I’d slow the ball down. We aren’t talented enough offensively to run. 

offensively we should run everything through Disu and Abmas. Run double screens for open looks (AJ Abrams O) and Disu iso/p&r. Everyone else crash the boards and play D.  Play the bench and sub frequently. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

In all the major sports, I would say they're all recruiting at a top 5ish level (HS recruiting and portal combined). Football for sure, volleyball for sure, women's basketball for sure, softball for sure, and men's basketball is definitely around that when you consider what Beard/RT have added the last couple of years.

The weakest recruiter out of all the major sports is probably David Pierce and damn even he's seeing the advantages of the new landscape (I.e. the #4 recruiting class in '24 and #2 recruiting class in '25). 

It would take a huge failure to not be able to recruit at Texas right now. 

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Tre Mitchell was as coveted as any of the transfers as well.  Huggins and Calipari both took him in subsequent years even after he screwed around and quit on us before the season even ended.

Beard's transfer haul his first year isn't likely to be replicated by just anybody - he signed arguably the top 4 players in the portal plus a couple of other good pieces - but I agree it would take a really bizarre set of circumstances for Texas not to recruit at an elite level with the NIL and other advantages we have.  The coach would have to purposely go after lower ranked guys or just be the world's biggest asshole.

Just to build on/confirm the sentiments around what a basketball coach at Texas *should* be able to do in the portal and in recruiting - they should be able to get whoever they want. Unlike all of the work left to be done in football - due to scale, and in a few of the smaller sports - due to focus, or in baseball (a little) - due to LSU/Marucci, the basketball program is set. That's also why I wonder about the future for a coach versus any presumed analogs from the past. It's up or out time with no excuses in basketball. For Terry or anyone else. He's not going to have many friends if he embarrasses the school with all of the resources at his disposal. I am guessing he makes it for another season even at 6-12 in conference, but 2-16 or 3-15 might get dicey. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Agreed, but first you need a coach with an actual system, or at least a plan.  

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I’d slow the ball down. We aren’t talented enough offensively to run. 

offensively we should run everything through Disu and Abmas. Run double screens for open looks (AJ Abrams O) and Disu iso/p&r. Everyone else crash the boards and play D.  Play the bench and sub frequently. 

run the picket fence at 'em.  don't get caught watchin' the paint dry

seriously though, we need an offensive identity to slow the ball down and be well coached in the fundamentals to get people open.  We don't have a ball handler.

Unfortunately RT knows this and his best bet is to run and hope we get a) easy transition buckets and b) open 3's because the D isn't set.

TLDR: we're fucked.

29 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

So we should root to lose?

death.gif

The only time I ever rooted for Texas to lose at anything was in the second half of the KU game that Chuckles lost. Everything was so fucked at that point and the guy was coming back if he won that game, even if he lost to TCU the following week. Once it was obvious that Texas was truly at risk of losing to that clown program, I was like "Okay, fuck it then, pull the bookshelf on top of yourself, you fucking idiot" and I still felt dirty witnessing it. 

So, to each their own, but I'm praying for a miracle and and something resembling a 9-9 conference finish. 

Just checking the schedule, we could seriously be 1-9 in conference play when WVU comes to Austin on 2/10. And winning that game isn’t a given. 

If you go by what we’ve witness thus far, you could argue we may not win another conference game on the schedule. I can’t believe I’m typing that. Holy shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The only time I ever rooted for Texas to lose at anything was in the second half of the KU game that Chuckles lost. Everything was so fucked at that point and the guy was coming back if he won that game, even if he lost to TCU the following week. Once it was obvious that Texas was truly at risk of losing to that clown program, I was like "Okay, fuck it then, pull the bookshelf on top of yourself, you fucking idiot" and I still felt dirty witnessing it. 

So, to each their own, but I'm praying for a miracle and and something resembling a 9-9 conference finish. 

If Terry somehow gets this team to 9-9, that would be amazing. Everything would have to go right in a big way from here on out. That would require Disu suddenly going for 25 per game and the defense clamping down and basically just being an entirely different team than what we have seen.

Terry could get this team playing at a much higher level, do some really great coaching, and still finish 5-13. That is just how tough this league is and why losing to UCF, Tech, and WV was so devastating. We just had to start 4-0, we had to.

As it is we are headed to a last place finish with ugly blowout losses. This is going to be a humiliating season.

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Just checking the schedule, we could seriously be 1-9 in conference play when WVU comes to Austin on 2/10. And winning that game isn’t a given. 

If you go by what we’ve witness thus far, you could argue we may not win another conference game on the schedule. I can’t believe I’m typing that. Holy shit. 

Yeah. If we are 2-8 at that point I will be pleasantly surprised. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We play in the hardest league in America. We aren’t finishing 9-9.

Well, it wasn't a prediction. I called it a miracle. Leave me my fantasies, sir.

30 minutes ago, Pancho said:

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If Terry somehow gets this team to 9-9, that would be amazing. Everything would have to go right in a big way from here on out. That would require Disu suddenly going for 25 per game and the defense clamping down and basically just being an entirely different team than what we have seen.

Terry could get this team playing at a much higher level, do some really great coaching, and still finish 5-13. That is just how tough this league is and why losing to UCF, Tech, and WV was so devastating. We just had to start 4-0, we had to.

As it is we are headed to a last place finish with ugly blowout losses. This is going to be a humiliating season.

I've thought about what I think the even odds record to finish the conference would be for Texas. It's got to be around 5-13/4-14.

34 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I'm thinking there is enough talent to catch fire and get lucky a few times but you aren't wrong.

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah. If we are 2-8 at that point I will be pleasantly surprised. 

A perfectly rational statement and yet laughable.

I've been wondering if we could do 2-8 with no coach.  Just guys playing, subbing themselves.  I think we might.

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

5-12 against the spread so far. Fading Texas is a nice little business venture this season. It's like 2010 football when Vegas couldn't figure out the program was a raging trash fire.

Isn't it always good to fade Texas because so many idiots just want to bet on/with Texas the lines are always suspect?

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Isn't it always good to fade Texas because so many idiots just want to bet on/with Texas the lines are always suspect?

I think that is largely a myth. Books are in the money-making business and their lines have heavy input from models/algorithms then maybe a little manual adjustment so they can take action from both sides. They don't care if the money is from Texas fans, Texas haters, or Santa Claus. 

Plus a sport like college basketball isn't bet as heavily as CFB, NBA and the NFL so I don't think it gets the attention we think it might. Basketball and baseball are the hardest sports to handicap.

Funny enough I believe our football team went exactly 7-7 vs the spread this year which is Vegas' dream.

Edited by Hookem2147

56 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think that is largely a myth. Books are in the money-making business and their lines have heavy input from models/algorithms then maybe a little manual adjustment so they can take action from both sides. They don't care if the money is from Texas fans, Texas haters, or Santa Claus. 

Plus a sport like college basketball isn't bet as heavily as CFB, NBA and the NFL so I don't think it gets the attention we think it might. Basketball and baseball are the hardest sports to handicap.

Funny enough I believe our football team went exactly 7-7 vs the spread this year which is Vegas' dream.

Oh I know what books are in the business for and that the lines are mainly from models but the manual adjustment seems to push lines towards Texas because of more "I'm bettin' on Texas, hur dur!" money and they need to balance it out. I'm sure there is data on CBB and CFB on Texas v the spread for the last decade or so.  It certainly could show I'm wrong.

back to Texas basketball.  5-12 v spread today.  will be interesting to see where they end up.