Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

there is a standard at Texas that has been set by rick barnes and chris beard, and shaka smart and now rodney terry have proven themselves incapable of reaching that standard. at great programs little shit like that matters. plays like that don’t happen in winning programs. not in february, in the back half of conference play. and in the rare instance when they do happen, the HC pops a blood vessel in his forehead as he invites a player or two to have a seat on the bench. 

this team is talented, and beyond that, they seem to slowly but surely be jelling. they simply are being let down by their coaches. and i know that’s not breaking news, but that play right there just hit me in the chest. i thought we were better than that. lack of effort like that is just inexcusable. it’s a really bad sign. it’s a big reason this team is so mercurial.

so yeah, i’ll issue a mea culpa on the way i expressed my anger, on the verbiage i used. i’m not out on this team. i will always support these players and root for them to win. that’s why you don’t see me trashing players like so many do in every single game thread. i support and root for the players. that play just really bothered me, and reinforced to me that our ceiling is lower than it should be. that’s upsetting and frustrating to me.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Chris Beard coached at Texas a sum total of 42 games. As far as standards go, he didn't set shit. 

of course he did. he set wildly new standards for fan attendance and give-a-shit, and he brought with him his standard for effort on the court at all times. before he got himself fired his team was playing like U of H defensively, just wildly aggressive and stifling defense with maximum effort. his first team here, while not as talented, also met that demanded level of effort, and in the process became greater than the sum of their parts. you being mad at him doesn’t change what he brought to this program.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any NBA honks want to weigh in on Disu's potential in the league?  A guy that size who is a very good (college) 3-point shooter would seem to have value.  Yes?  No?

he’s for sure going to get a chance to play, and in fact at this point i would worry about his health more than anything else. he’s got size, athleticism, and he can shoot. he’s a smart player and gives great effort too. i think he’ll play in the nba for sure, but that his shot development will determine whether or not he gets a second or third contract.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

When it comes to basketball at the University of Texas placing his name alongside Rick Barnes is ridiculous. He didnt contribute shit to this university. 

we’re talking about the standard of effort and discipline on the court, something that both of those coaches continue to instill at any program they’re in charge of. tennessee and ole miss both bring a more consistent product than this Texas team. again, you can hate beard all you want, but you don’t get to rewrite history or deny who he is as a coach and program builder.

i’m bringing this over from the game thread. i’m done with this team. and i don’t blame the players at all. but this team isn’t going anywhere as long as this coaching staff is in charge.
x/post-
(on this play disu got a dunk, ended up out of bounds, screamed at his teammates to get back on D, then sprinted down the court, passing all of his teammates in the process, and ended up being the first guy back on defense, just in time to watch wvu get an easy dunk)
IMG_8303.thumb.jpeg.410a55544ea54092cf30418030f4ab8d.jpeg
there are singular plays where a team shows you crystal clear what their identity is, and this was one of those plays. how do you look at this photo and reconcile that dylan disu ended up passing up every single one of this teammates getting back on defense, not to mention that wvu got an easy dunk out of it. who gives a shit if he was actually with the photographers or a full three feet closer to the court? this complete lack of effort and competence from our team is bullshit. i’m out on this team. this coaching staff has undone every single bit of what their predecessors built. i cannot abide by that lack of effort. period.
If you are done with the team, can we assume you're done posting as well?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i’m bringing this over from the game thread. i’m done with this team. and i don’t blame the players at all. but this team isn’t going anywhere as long as this coaching staff is in charge.

x/post-

(on this play disu got a dunk, ended up out of bounds, screamed at his teammates to get back on D, then sprinted down the court, passing all of his teammates in the process, and ended up being the first guy back on defense, just in time to watch wvu get an easy dunk)

IMG_8303.thumb.jpeg.410a55544ea54092cf30418030f4ab8d.jpeg

there are singular plays where a team shows you crystal clear what their identity is, and this was one of those plays. how do you look at this photo and reconcile that dylan disu ended up passing up every single one of this teammates getting back on defense, not to mention that wvu got an easy dunk out of it. who gives a shit if he was actually with the photographers or a full three feet closer to the court? this complete lack of effort and competence from our team is bullshit. i’m out on this team. this coaching staff has undone every single bit of what their predecessors built. i cannot abide by that lack of effort. period.

While I agree that was a stupid play sequence, this post may have been a little premature…

23 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nic Codie and Tre Johnson coming down for the game tomorrow, per Gerry

They got to see quite the show today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

While I agree that was a stupid play sequence, this post may have been a little premature…

bro the team could not have made that post look any worse lol. they immediately turned the game into an all star weekend dunk contest/three point shootout. maybe i should slam the team more often? lol. 

• Haha 3

As far as I'm concerned, our ceiling is unchanged from the start of the season... and that is Final Four.  However, our ODDS of reaching our ceiling are way lower than I thought at the start of the season.  And our floor is also way lower.

I'm not sure there is another team in the country with two better players than Disu and Abmas.  When both of them are clicking, we can string together big wins.  And both are pretty dang consistent.  But the other pieces are just too hit or miss.  Our odds of missing the tourney are probably better than us making the Sweet 16. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The number one roster issue with this team is not getting adequate defensive size on the wing to pair with Abmas. Hunter lacks the necessary size to be a consistent hindrance on the defensive end. A non rapey Arterio Morris to go alongside of Weaver would've helped a lot. Ron Hollad and AJ Johnson had the potential to cause havoc on the wing as well, but relying on freshmen for defensive consistency would've been a fool's errand. That being said that lack of defense consistency is the primary trait that makes this team schizophrenic and our lack of length on the wing is the ultimate cause of it. Wing size can mask a lack of athleticism. Nobody would mistake guys like Jabari Rice, Timmy Allen, or Brock Cunningham for athletic marvels but their size made us switchable on the wings and made initiating the offense more difficult. Most people like to harp on the offense regardless of how good or bad it is, but offense is nowhere close to being this team's issue. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

yeah our offense has been playing much closer to preseason expectations than the defense has, even knowing that defense would be the weaker of the two. our three point defense is as bad in person as it is on paper. opponents get wide open looks from three with regularity, and they’ve been knocking them down all year.

IMG_8345.thumb.jpeg.81417c80ad5b349d114e7cc798dcc1fb.jpeg

IMG_8346.thumb.jpeg.8d27ccb4e5ddf1bace9748c5cc3629e9.jpeg

no.236 in the country and no.14 in the league at defending the three. you cannot expect to win 3, 4, 5+ games in a row in march when every team you play is getting wide open looks all day long. our offense is fine, but our perimeter defense is a glaring deficiency.

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The number one roster issue with this team is not getting adequate defensive size on the wing to pair with Abmas. Hunter lacks the necessary size to be a consistent hindrance on the defensive end. A non rapey Arterio Morris to go alongside of Weaver would've helped a lot. Ron Hollad and AJ Johnson had the potential to cause havoc on the wing as well, but relying on freshmen for defensive consistency would've been a fool's errand. That being said that lack of defense consistency is the primary trait that makes this team schizophrenic and our lack of length on the wing is the ultimate cause of it. Wing size can mask a lack of athleticism. Nobody would mistake guys like Jabari Rice, Timmy Allen, or Brock Cunningham for athletic marvels but their size made us switchable on the wings and made initiating the offense more difficult. Most people like to harp on the offense regardless of how good or bad it is, but offense is nowhere close to being this team's issue. 

Holland was going to be the perfect wing on this team with its current construction.

Offensively, Mitchell is about the furthest thing from what you want as a wing player but we somehow have to make to work with him at the 4. Defensively he is solid but like you mentioned, there aren’t many others who defend good wing players. It’s beating a dead horse, but being unable to rely on 6’5 IT Horton has hurt us so much.

Devon Pryor should hopefully help with the wing issue too starting next year.

Johnson and Holland made absolutely stupid decisions. Johnson is not even on any draft lists anymore and Holland has fallen in almost every update mock I have seen. Now Holland does have a chance to recoup a lot of his momentum with a big show in the NBA AS weekend playing on the GLeague team. I agree with @Catdaddyhorn, those two on the wing with Abmas and this team is remarkedly better on both ends of the court.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Chris Beard coached at Texas a sum total of 42 games. As far as standards at Texas go, he didn't set shit. 

He did bite shit though

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i’m done with this team. and i don’t blame the players at all. but this team isn’t going anywhere as long as this coaching staff is in charge.

Great! Don't post again until after the season in that case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

But the same issues probably would have occurred at Texas. 18 year olds are rarely ready to play at this level. 

It depends. Given the talent level of Holland he'd probably be hitting his stride at this point in the season. He'd probably be eating into Cunningham and Shedrick's minutes and Horton wouldnt be on the roster. We would've probably ran even more than we do now. Johnson on the other hand, mostly likely would've been disappointed with his minutes, but there is the small chance that his talent would've shown through and he'd help us mitigate Hunter's lapses in play. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Given the talent level of Holland he'd probably be hitting his stride at this point in the season. He'd probably be eating into Cunningham and Shedrick's minutes and Horton wouldnt be on the roster.

100% this. i think he’d have developed into a really good player for us. barnes always said, “by february they aren’t freshmen anymore”, and holland is definitely one of those guys who you’d project to be playing much more like a veteran after getting 2-3 months of d-1 ball under his belt. jarrett allen and chet holmgren come to mind as recent-ish top recruits who started slowly but then were really good by the middle of conference play if their one year in college.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Johnson and Holland made absolutely stupid decisions. Johnson is not even on any draft lists anymore and Holland has fallen in almost every update mock I have seen. Now Holland does have a chance to recoup a lot of his momentum with a big show in the NBA AS weekend playing on the GLeague team. I agree with @Catdaddyhorn, those two on the wing with Abmas and this team is remarkedly better on both ends of the court.

We didn’t have our shit together with NIL for some reason with high school recruiting at the end of last season.  One of the two couldn’t qualify for school. 
I heard that Tito got us straight so it’s hoped that we can get them to sign.  The number I was told for one of them should be competitive with most other options at this point. 

I was under the impression that a lot of the NIL stuff for basketball players is through other means outside of school collectives and stuff like that. Like for instance someone like Tre Johnson may get a significant deal through a money manager due to the salary potential he could have down the road in the NBA. That's why playing in a city like Austin vs podunk college towns tends to be a better play for basketball players. Even a guy like Dillon Mitchell forecast to be a 7 figure player overseas so even if you're not a surefire NBA player there still significant potential for entities like the above. 

Does 8-10, 19-13 get us in assuming we win out at home, lose out on the road, and lose a 1st round game in the Big 12 tourney?  I just realized that the top 10 teams make the Big 12 tourney.  I'm perfectly fine to be corrected, but I feel like that would make the decision somewhat easy on the NCAA.  Take the teams that make the tourney unless the 9th or 10th seed loses badly in the 1st game.  I believe 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9.

22 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Does 8-10, 19-13 get us in assuming we win out at home, lose out on the road, and lose a 1st round game in the Big 12 tourney?  I just realized that the top 10 teams make the Big 12 tourney.  I'm perfectly fine to be corrected, but I feel like that would make the decision somewhat easy on the NCAA.  Take the teams that make the tourney unless the 9th or 10th seed loses badly in the 1st game.  I believe 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9.

8-10 should get us in, I think. But we may be sweating if we don’t win a big 12 tournament game 

Back to 33 in NET. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, CTC2 said:

We didn’t have our shit together with NIL for some reason with high school recruiting at the end of last season.  One of the two couldn’t qualify for school. 
I heard that Tito got us straight so it’s hoped that we can get them to sign.  The number I was told for one of them should be competitive with most other options at this point. 

Basketball NIL has had its shit together from day one. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Dont know the details about holland but apparently jones would’ve had trouble qualifying

If I cared enough, I could get stuff that folks wouldn’t want to put their name on about the ending with both of those guys, but I don’t. I remember it all being really stupid and depressing. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

8-10 should get us in, I think. But we may be sweating if we don’t win a big 12 tournament game 

Back to 33 in NET. 

Was looking at it and came to that same conclusion- I just can’t see us not getting in at 8-10. A couple good wins. No truly terrible losses. A couple of last second losses to really good teams. That’s a tournament resume for a name school. 

Holland would have helped big time. Anyone saying otherwise doesn’t know how much a wing would help right now-freshman or not. He made the wrong choice, he’s probably letting the emotions get the best of him, will see if he bounces back or continues to fall. You either keep digging or stop digging…hope he stops digging his hole and makes himself a good player. He was technically a longhorn..

after looking at kenpom, looks like ksu is our biggest game or tech depending on how the next few go. Ksu seems crucial, OSU is a must,8-10 is ok but 9-9 would be great and put us well in. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

All 14 teams make it; they just backed up the start by a day.  There’s a single evening session on Tuesday night for 11-14; the winners join 5-10 for an all-day session Weds, then Thurs/Fri/Sat is same as before…

• Hook 'Em 1

Iowa State is stone cold lock. 

Not sure how one can have TCU above Texas based on current metrics, but TCU does have a significant advantage in schedule the rest of the way (WVU twice, UCF, Kansas State, Cincy and Baylor at home. At BYU and at Tech are the only probable losses)

Edited by Hookem2147