2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

1000% wrong. This roster has sucked most the season. The vets are finally coming around 

we’re winning this division 

Continuing to sit Chas and play Maldy over Diaz almost every day (when Yordan was in)…those are Dusty’s decisions. He actively chooses to play lesser players over Chas very often. He actively chose to play a lesser player at catcher very often and only began regularly using Diaz once there was a need at DH.

• Hook 'Em 4

Tucker is playing at an all-star level and it's pretty crazy he isn't on the roster.

Robert, Yordan, and Adolis’s resumes are far and away better. Of the reserves, Hays is the only debatable one I guess, and they’re similar enough that when it comes to the final OF spot I’m fine giving it to a first timer. (And if it wasn’t Hays, I’m not even sure Tucker has the best case of everyone snubbed.)

48 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Continuing to sit Chas and play Maldy over Diaz almost every day (when Yordan was in)…those are Dusty’s decisions. He actively chooses to play lesser players over Chas very often. He actively chose to play a lesser player at catcher very often and only began regularly using Diaz once there was a need at DH.

The Maldy thing really really pisses me off. Meyers at least looks like a better outfielder to the naked eye than McCormick. But if you actually watch Maldonado behind the plate right now he's lazy as hell. Framing efforts are sloppy, all the dropped pitches. He doesn't even look like a good defensive catcher anymore, it's purely "he's a veteran and used to be good" for Baker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Diaz has grounded  into 9 DPs in like 43 starts.- just going off memory of last night's stats.

That's not good.

Edited by slorch

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The Maldy thing really really pisses me off. Meyers at least looks like a better outfielder to the naked eye than McCormick. But if you actually watch Maldonado behind the plate right now he's lazy as hell. Framing efforts are sloppy, all the dropped pitches. He doesn't even look like a good defensive catcher anymore, it's purely "he's a veteran and used to be good" for Baker.

You have to play the guy who's bled for the program, even if there's a younger, better option.

Damn amazing stats ….

The @astros have the lowest Team ERA in baseball

37% of Astros games have been started by rookies

One THIRD of innings pitched have been pitched by rookies

Astros Rookie pitching stats:

45 G
31 GS
245.1 IP
3.93 ERA
249 K
95 BB

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Damn amazing stats ….

The @astros have the lowest Team ERA in baseball

37% of Astros games have been started by rookies

One THIRD of innings pitched have been pitched by rookies

Astros Rookie pitching stats:

45 G
31 GS
245.1 IP
3.93 ERA
249 K
95 BB

That's what I love about these rookies, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Maybe Drew is finding his stroke ?

He's healthy.  I don't know why they played him through the elbow injury for a month but that's all that was going on down there. He's not overmatched by the league or not ready or any other nonsense.  He was hurt and they decided I guess they'd rather him see pitches for his development and gut it out then go on the DL. 

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Diaz has grounded  into 9 DPs in like 43 starts.- just going off memory of last night's stats.

That's not good.

No it's not.  He is a couple walks a week and raising his launch angle a little bit from being an absolute super star.  Otherwise, he hits lots of ground balls, he's sort of slow, and he hits the ball hard so that's a recipe for a bunch of DP's.  Also- that cannot be continued.  The all time record is 36- so yeah, that's going to come down on it's own.  Jim Rice holds that record.  

Yeah- uh, remember last year when I said Brantley wouldn't play another game in MLB (in like June I said this)? Or this offseason when I said it was a criminally stupid signing to give him $12M?  Just a dumb fucking front office this offseason.  So so so so so dumb.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

That's fine. I'd prefer Meyers to Maldonado but that's probably worth what- 1/10th-2/10ths of a run per game.  As far as Dusty usual bullshit related to lineup only starting the game 1/10th of a run from optimal is cause for celebration.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Jon SIngleton is raking for Sugar Land. 

8-for-20 with 2 doubles, 2 HR, 6 BB, 6 RBI and 7K in 6 games played.

I'm going to wait to see what Bud Norris thinks before I draw any conclusions

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- uh, remember last year when I said Brantley wouldn't play another game in MLB (in like June I said this)? Or this offseason when I said it was a criminally stupid signing to give him $12M?  Just a dumb fucking front office this offseason.  So so so so so dumb.  

We were the biggest Brantley is done honks on this site. Somewhat ridiculed for it.

• Hook 'Em 1