2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, Gourmand said:
And yet, where would we be without Dubon's slappy heroics this year?

Let him play 3 times a week giving our team full of carlos correas a break and he can PH in clutch situations, which he has done well at hitting in this year.

love this quote, gawdamn, this team has been full on rattlesnake bit with injuries, its really incredible

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The fact we are only 3 games back should show if we get healthy and make some good trades we should win the division by 3-5 games. I fully believe with no injuries we would be up right now by 3-5 games and would win the division by 10 games. 

Good Luck Fuckers !

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

You also don't want Alvarez and Tucker back to back to make things easy on lefty relievers (yeah I know how they're hitting lefties right now but still).

Are you playing Dubón in LF there? DHing Yordan? I think best bet there is rotating DH between Yordan, Altuve, and Peña to keep them healthy.

Yordan eats lefties for lunch

i'm not sure i'm happy with one aspect of our team right now (sp, rp, offense) and we're 10 games over, 3 games back and currently in the playoffs.

the offense gets solved by yainer playing over maldy, and altuve/pena/yordan coming back.  adding someone is gravy.  if abreu can just be average the rest of the way, we're fine on offense.

the sp gets better when urquidy gets back and javier gets his shit right.  not sure what's going on with him, but he's not his usual self.  framber is great, france has been solid.  otherwise, we're all over the place.  need hb to get his head out of his ass.

rp - i have no idea.  i think we need to add 1-2 arms just because, but there's no guarantee that anyone is better than who we have if who we have get their shit together.  we used to have 5 guys i trusted and maton wasn't one of them.  i'll settle for 3 + pressly but it would be nice to know who those 3 are.  need abreu to get back to being abreu.

need to go 5-1 this week.  i can't decide if i'm happy or pissed we went 2-1 over the weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

The bullpen has been used too much.  Last year the starters went 6 or 7 a lot of the time.  This year anyone outside of Frambler is lucky to go 5. Adding arms is the only way to fix it or the top of the bullpen will be completely spent by the end of the season.

Edited by kevwun

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The bullpen has been used too much.  Last year the starters went 6 or 7 a lot of the time.  This year anyone outside of Frambler is lucky to go 5. Adding arms is the only way to fix it or the top of the bullpen will be completely spent by the end of the season.

we need to bring a AAA arm, now just to eat innings. Enoli ?

we haven’t been in many blown out games, we’re constantly in high leverage situations 

39 minutes ago, kevwun said:

JP is averaging between 5.2 and 6 innings right now. Ronel has gone at least 5 in every start. Bielal is averaging between 5.1 and 5.2 innings.

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Outside of one 10-game winning streak early in the season, the 2015 Astros were a .500 team.   

You are absolutely right.  More was talking in the playoffs, but honestly that was more a fake memory.  They were bad in Sept 11-16 that year.  I guess I remembered it differently.  How about the 2023 Phillies then 

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the offense gets solved by yainer playing over maldy, and altuve/pena/yordan coming back.  adding someone is gravy. 

need hb to get his head out of his ass.

Might be selective memory, but I feel like Yainer replacing Maldy will unfuck Hunter. Feel like Brown was rolling until Dusty insisted on mixing things up. Feel like Javier is just tired. He doesn’t throw overly hard, but has good carry. Feel like when he starts to lose that, he becomes fairly hittable.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Jaworsky, Ochoa, and Huezo is a big haul of HS talent considering where Houston was picking.  I also like Will Bush, the 19 yo JUCO C they picked.  Those guys combined with the dudes in the complex leagues has me really excited about Houston’s farm over the next couple years.  They lack top end pitching prospects but they have a shitload of exciting position player prospects all up and down the system and great depth pretty much everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Jaworsky, Ochoa, and Huezo is a big haul of HS talent considering where Houston was picking.  I also like Will Bush, the 19 yo JUCO C they picked.  Those guys combined with the dudes in the complex leagues has me really excited about Houston’s farm over the next couple years.  They lack top end pitching prospects but they have a shitload of exciting position player prospects all up and down the system and great depth pretty much everywhere.

Let the system work them into something 

Edited by tx 3 putt

11 hours ago, Rip76 said:

I had no idea we were off tonight.

They let Dusty pick the night off...  "Hey let's do it after we played 3 games in 7 days. Guys get tired."

Edit.  Scraps beat me to it.  Scary.

Edited by slorch

Dropped the pod last night- we did a rant about Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers in general, checked in on our over under predictions from a couple months ago and tackled some new over unders. Check it out- Houston’s new favorite niche Astros podcast measured now in hundreds of listeners instead of merely tens or dozens of listeners!  As always, thanks to all who listen. 

Spotify:

apple:

Amazon:
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1