2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I don’t think that it’s that Verlander wants Dubon in center it’s that he absolutely wants nothing to do with Meyers in center. I don’t remember the exact game but I do remember a game where Verlander looked like he was about to lose it after watching noodle arm misplay a ball in center. After that he was done with him. I don’t think he ever played center again behind Verlander. I think I’m remembering that correctly. 

irony is Meyers catch yesterday essentially save the game. 

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

at some point, he's gonna need some experience to get better there

and this here is the best argument for him playing every day. I'm not Team Maldy, I just repeat what has been reported and said by pitchers and insiders about Machete being the staff's QB and whatnot and how Diaz has to learn how to prepare to call games etc but he's getting there yadda yadda yadda. Diaz can only do this by playing more, not less. You cannot put his bat on the bench with Kessinger's in the lineup. 

Fuck it, call up Singleton if you need to give Abreu a day off. 

Look- Diaz has 61 AB’s against LHP. His hard hit percentage is 50%. He’s not striking out at an extreme rate. I think it’s imminently reasonable to say he’s not bad against LHP he’s just been unlucky. Reverse splits over a long enough period of AB’s to matter are almost unheard of. It’s likely not a thing with him. 
would it be shocking if he went 15/40 or something against lefties and got his average up to 260 against them?  Not to me it wouldn’t. 
remenber at the beginning of the year when his numbers sort of sucked but his expected stats were great and I kept saying- he’s just unlucky?  And then the balls started dropping and it became clear he’s a really good offensive player?  Pretty sure that’s probably the deal against LHP with him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

and this here is the best argument for him playing every day. I'm not Team Maldy, I just repeat what has been reported and said by pitchers and insiders about Machete being the staff's QB and whatnot and how Diaz has to learn how to prepare to call games etc but he's getting there yadda yadda yadda. Diaz can only do this by playing more, not less. You cannot put his bat on the bench with Kessinger's in the lineup. 

Fuck it, call up Singleton if you need to give Abreu a day off. 

Went to the Space Cowboys game last night.  Singleton was 2-4, I believe, with a double.  Both down the line to right.  Looks like he's seeing the ball really well and doing what he wants with it.  Maybe he's one of those guys who perform to their ability when it's their absolute last chance.  I hope he gets a call-up. Would like to see what he can do against MLB pitching. Would be a nice story.

Edited by Ojo Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Happy JV personal CF day!

We wouldn't want to get too close to the lineup that put up 7 yesterday.

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

Is there really going to be a huge dropoff between Kessinger and Abreu?

Yeah, I don't really mind that one

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I get sitting Diaz vs a LHP, don’t really understand why JV likes Dubon in CF but if that what he want then fine, I guess. But playing Kessinger is inexcusable. 

The idea that Diaz can't hit LHP is small sample size nonsense

• Hook 'Em 3

Damn the Yankees team batting avg suck

whoever hired their last batting coach should be banned for life. He was very much - batting averages don’t matter, just hit hard balls. Sub .200 against breaking balls is just horrible 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I get sitting Diaz vs a LHP, don’t really understand why JV likes Dubon in CF but if that what he want then fine, I guess. But playing Kessinger is inexcusable. 

“Scheduled off day” for Abreu I’m sure….

that can’t be adjusted when your pitcher wants Maldy and Dubon…

35 minutes ago, WBT said:

The idea that Diaz can't hit LHP is small sample size nonsense

This made me go look for his minor league splits. Baseball reference has them on year by year basis but not cumulative. I didn’t want to do the work to add it all up but a quick glance confirms what you’re saying. He was fine against LHP in the minors.