2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jon Singleton has a slash line of .160/.344/.400/.744 in 19 games. In those 19 games, he has 4 SO and 7 walks.

That’s all wrong. Doesn’t include tonight.  And he was in 9 games for us before tonight not 19.

he’s now been in 10 games with us.

.143/.314/.357/.651  6 Ks, 7 BBs.

but I ain’t mad at him.

I’m mad at Dusty for his nonsense “guy is scratched so I have to put his replacement in the same spot in the lineup” and/or affinity for alternating LRLR resulting in Singleton batting 5th in place of Tucker instead of sliding McCormick up.

our first guy to reach is diaz in the 2nd and erased on a Singleton GIDP.

next two guys on base reach ahead of Singleton who strikes out to end the inning.

Next guy to reach is Diaz. Singleton K’s behind him (Chas popped out after that so didn’t do much better).

The you’re left with trying to cobble together a rally in the 9th.

look, offense was abysmal so not fair to put it all on Singleton, but him at 5th tonight sure didn’t help.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

This keeps getting posted and needs to stop

it’s more foolish than the Angels FO thinking they should be buyers instead of sellers at the trade deadline 

Bookmarking this post come late September. Mariners are legit

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, mycox said:

Bookmarking this post come late September. Mariners are legit

That’s fine. I’ll own it if it happens.

depends on which M’s team is real.

the one that was 4 under .500 at the end of June or the one that is 16 over since.

Their starting rotation is legit. Their bullpen doesn’t scare me. Their lineup is top heavy but will get much deeper when Crawford returns soon and Kelenic sometime in Sept.

I’ll give you they could very well still be right in the thick of things heading in to the final 10 games, 3 against us sandwiched between 7 against the Rangers.

I just want to see us field our best lineup night in and night out but I guess that’s asking too much given what we’ve seen for the first 4.5 months of the season.

Lol at anyone blaming Singleton for him being him or Dusty for playing him or anyone else. Dana fucking Brown has had all year to improve this team and done nothing but claim shit off waivers. I got crucified on Twitter before the deadline for saying he was waiver wire Dana but that’s all he is. We needed offense we got Jon Singleton. Lap it up. They don’t want to win. Crane wants rings every 5 years. Have to make money off the last one before you win another one. Winning two in a row is not maximizing profits. Look at the bottom of our lineup tonight and our bench and honestly ask yourself who in the fuck would want that shit on their team or expect to win with it. No one. That’s who. It’s Oakland As quality at best. If you consider them a major league team. I didn’t even watch the game tonight because I was celebrating my friend getting a second chance at life while the Astros die the slow death of false hope.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Now I'm more concerned about the Mariners catching us than us catching the Rangers. fuck

Im confused as to why this post is catching flak. If you aren’t concerned you’re a fanboy with head in the sand. Look at the schedules. Theirs is easy with a shitload of games against us and Texas. Seattle will decide who wins the division . 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

What is the ideal line up that you would play? Then include day game.

Altuve/Yordan/Bregman/tucker/Chas/Diaz/singleton(Abreu- it would be a platoon when he’s healthy)/pena/meyers. 
That’s the best lineup we can play and in the proper saber-friendly order. 

If Brantley comes back then he and Meyers platoon for me- Meyers against LHP and Brantley against RHP. 

If we start Framber/JV/Brown and JP in a 7 game series with that lineup I like our chances against anyone. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Altuve/Yordan/Bregman/tucker/Chas/Diaz/singleton(Abreu- it would be a platoon when he’s healthy)/pena/meyers. 
That’s the best lineup we can play and in the proper saber-friendly order. 

If Brantley comes back then he and Meyers platoon for me- Meyers against LHP and Brantley against RHP. 

If we start Framber/JV/Brown and JP in a 7 game series with that lineup I like our chances against anyone. 

Chances of seeing that lineup with that rotation?

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t understand why everyone is upset about Singleton. For one, he’s living up exactly to what should have been everyone’s expectations. For two, @TonyTexas wants you all to remember that .107 with 2 hrs is still 2 hrs, you fucking haters. 

He shouldn't be on the fucking team.

It was preventable.  That's all...

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t understand why everyone is upset about Singleton. For one, he’s living up exactly to what should have been everyone’s expectations. For two, @TonyTexas wants you all to remember that .107 with 2 hrs is still 2 hrs, you fucking haters. 

I think we both jumped to conclusions a little early.  Admittedly, right now it’s trending in your direction. See how you do that?

Edited by TonyTexas

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

He’s probably not worse than Abreu against RHP?  Which is about the most damning. With faint praise any human being can come up with in the year of our lord 2023? 

• Haha 1

Nobody is mad AT Singleton, they are mad at Dusty for not recognizing his limitations (as well as many other players) and putting him 5th in the order last night. I think everyone would rather have Chas ahead of him. Probably Dubon and Pena too. The sad thing is they could have had Yuli as the backup 1b/DH for like 1 year and 2 million this year to help fill out the bench. He's not doing exceptional with the Marlins, but he's better than the jags they've been rotating from in from the minors. 

• Like 1

The dropoff from Yuli's defense to Abreu has been jarring.  Not having gold glove defense there has had a big negative impact on the infield.  If a throw was even close with Yuli it got caught, now perfect throws aren't a guarantee.  The Astros have now allowed the 2nd most earned runs last I saw.  That's terrible for a team that has been so good defensively for so long.

Edited by kevwun

Singleton isn't the current problem...i mean he isn't helping, but Pena sucking major asshole all the time, and Yordan (hey i love yordan for life) needs to pull his head out of his ass.

He has hit 2 homers this month and has 5 rbi

You know who else has done that....jon fucking singleton....yes the guy we all know is garbage. That is the level Yordan is on right now during this stretch.

12 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Dana fucking Brown has had all year to improve this team and done nothing but claim shit off waivers. I got crucified on Twitter before the deadline for saying he was waiver wire Dana but that’s all he is. We needed offense we got Jon Singleton. Lap it up. They don’t want to win. Crane wants rings every 5 years. Have to make money off the last one before you win another one. Winning two in a row is not maximizing profits. Look at the bottom of our lineup tonight and our bench and honestly ask yourself who in the fuck would want that shit on their team or expect to win with it. No one. That’s who. It’s Oakland As quality at best. If you consider them a major league team. I didn’t even watch the game tonight because I was celebrating my friend getting a second chance at life while the Astros die the slow death of false hope.

While I haven’t been optimistic about the 2023 Astros since roughly last December, I’m not sure how much Brown has contributed to the problem.

The off-season roster management was a disaster, but Brown wasn’t around for most of that.

Dusty’s indefensible lineup decisions and insistence on consistently playing his worst players are big problems. The team simply enters too many games without giving itself the best chance to win. Over an entire season that matters, whether those game are in April or June or September. I can’t understand why it is allowed to continue, and if Brown is cool with it, then yeah, it’s on him too.

I did not like the Graveman trade (because I think Lee should have gotten you a better pitcher), though many here disagree and that’s fine. It wasn’t the worst trade ever or anything. The JV trade was fine, I think.

The primary problems with this team are Dusty Baker’s managing and Crane’s ineptitude while playing GM over the winter. I don’t blame Brown for failing to correct all of those things. If this coming offseason is another shitshow, if Maldy and/or Dusty is back, if it continues to be OK to play fucking horrible players every day over good players, then either Brown is an utter dipshit or he’s powerless and Crane has gone full Jerry Jones. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm now prepared to get swept this weekend and will pleasantly surprised if we aren't. I suppose we can't help whatever is ailing Tucker, but his absence only ramps up the need to field our best possible available lineup. Instead, we get this misarranged hodgepodge from the Dustinator. Of course, he knows all and will keep trying to prove it. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm now prepared to get swept this weekend and will pleasantly surprised if we aren't. I suppose we can't help whatever is ailing Tucker, but his absence only ramps up the need to field our best possible available lineup. Instead, we get this misarranged hodgepodge from the Dustinator. Of course, he knows all and will keep trying to prove it. 

The Astros may have won two world championships but we will always be Houston sports fans.

I blame the Oilers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Using that standard, no team has won anything. Only one team, however, is the the reigning world champion.

I like our chances.

I agree we're definitely in the mix. My point is that winning two titles with different rosters and managers in different competitive environments was great but has nada to do with this year's squad. We haven't consistently played at even a division-winning level thus far.

Can we? I think so, provided we get and stay healthy. But we all realize it will take much better play (and strategy) to get us there. I really hope that starts tonight, and it needs to.