2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Really like our schedule from here out. We’ve seen the standings and that we’ve played two more games than the M’s and Rangers. So we get two more off days than they do the rest of way

We get 6 off days total. Every Thursday the rest of the way. That means, after today, we have 6 games and an off day every week.

Should be able to line up the rotation pretty well and hide whoever is sucking with that while also making sure guys are getting plenty of rest. 

(my apologies to Wulaw who I’m sure covered all of this in the podcast)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Really like our schedule from here out. We’ve seen the standings and that we’ve played two more games than the M’s and Rangers. So we get two more off days than they do the rest of way

We get 6 off days total. Every Thursday the rest of the way. That means, after today, we have 6 games and an off day every week.

Should be able to line up the rotation pretty well and hide whoever is sucking with that while also making sure guys are getting plenty of rest. 

(my apologies to Wulaw who I’m sure covered all of this in the podcast)

Once we clear the rangers series our schedule is by far the easiest coming in. We will probably lose games to Toronto and Seattle over the next 2 weeks though. Toronto, especially, is playing utter trash. 
but yeah- our schedule, in terms of both teams we are playing and off days, sets us up to rape and pillage during the first 3 weeks of the month. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's sad that we might see our best lineup once or twice a week.

Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, McCormick, Diaz, Brantley, Abreu, Pena

It's sad I have to root for injuries to Maldonado and Dubon to ensure that Dusty Baker plays the best team possible to make the playoffs.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

Waiting for a mea culpa from those that were so certain that Brantley would never play again. Probably won’t happen, particularly from the two who were most vocal, as those two are very quick with the “I told you so” but extremely slow admitting when they are wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Waiting for a mea culpa from those that were so certain that Brantley would never play again. Probably won’t happen, particularly from the two who were most vocal, as those two are very quick with the “I told you so” but extremely slow admitting when they are wrong. 

Don't remember if I vocalized it on here, but I was absolutely convinced he was done.  Stoked to be wrong, and even more excited that he appears to not have lost a step.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Happy he's back, glad I am wrong. Looked good yesterday. Hopefully he can play more than not.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It was one game and he didn’t even get a hit. Let’s not start patting ourselves on the back just yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Once we clear the rangers series our schedule is by far the easiest coming in. We will probably lose games to Toronto and Seattle over the next 2 weeks though. Toronto, especially, is playing utter trash. 
but yeah- our schedule, in terms of both teams we are playing and off days, sets us up to rape and pillage during the first 3 weeks of the month. 

It seems like the team is already playing like they know it's go time.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It's sad I have to root for injuries to Maldonado and Dubon to ensure that Dusty Baker plays the best team possible to make the playoffs.

Don't know about Maldy, but without Dubon I suspect we'd now be about 5 games out. Regardless of WAR or any other metric, he's been a great asset to this point. Just need to use him smartly from here on out (which likely means we won't). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It seems like the team is already playing like they know it's go time.

I think Dusty knows it too. Yeah he’s an idiot for continuing to ride Maldy and only play Diaz in half the games, but the “scheduled rest days” for Altuve, Alvarez, and Tucker haven’t been used in a couple months. Knock on wood but I think scheduled rest days are done for the season. There’s finally a sense of urgency 

Edited by perfectchaos007

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I was calling out those that said Brantley would never play again. Did he play?

I don’t know if you are talking about me because I feel like I’ve changed my mind about 50 times on if Brantley was going to play or not, but I haven’t changed my mind on “it was an incredibly stupid signing” and I was right to criticize it from the second he signed that deal, and I also don’t think I ever meant- he’s done forever in a literal sense more in a “he’s washed and not going to be a key cog in a WS contending team” sense which, well, I’d argue we’d be better off if he never came back if the result is Diaz plays 2X a week because Diaz is a better bat then Brantley. 
so, congrats on taking a victory lap for the 7th best bat (at best) on the team coming back in time to squeeze out 23 games, probably to the teams detriment, because our manager isn’t able to optimize a 26 man roster, I guess?  
hell, maybe you weren’t talking about me. I know scraps was pretty adamant about him never playing again. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It’s only possible to see our best lineup of it’s a day Brown or France start, and then only against a RHP. So- 2 chances per week, probably 1 time actualize. I bet we see this lineup like 5 times the rest of the year, tops. 

• Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t know if you are talking about me because I feel like I’ve changed my mind about 50 times on if Brantley was going to play or not, but I haven’t changed my mind on “it was an incredibly stupid signing” and I was right to criticize it from the second he signed that deal, and I also don’t think I ever meant- he’s done forever in a literal sense more in a “he’s washed and not going to be a key cog in a WS contending team” sense which, well, I’d argue we’d be better off if he never came back if the result is Diaz plays 2X a week because Diaz is a better bat then Brantley. 
so, congrats on taking a victory lap for the 7th best bat (at best) on the team coming back in time to squeeze out 23 games, probably to the teams detriment, because our manager isn’t able to optimize a 26 man roster, I guess?  
hell, maybe you weren’t talking about me. I know scraps was pretty adamant about him never playing again. 

Honestly, this whole team (ownership on down to the bench) has had me alternating my mood between happy and sad this whole season. But player and manager performances that resemble an EKG readout can do that to a fan. Our underlying talent and health, bolstered by the recent additions of JV, Diaz and now a professional hitter from the past, have me smiling at the moment. Check back an inning, week or month from now. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I thinks it's pretty amazing we're going to get 35 or more homeruns from the catcher position.

i think it's pretty amazing that we have a 24 year old rookie catcher who's on pace to go .280 with 22 homers (pro-rate to 30+ with a full season of pa) with an .825+ ops (.525+ slg) who also has a cannon for an arm and seems generally athletic - faster than you think 1st to 3rd, and has a bagwellion ability to slide into home.  you can count the number of mlb catchers who tick those boxes on one hand and have fingers leftover.

how was every team not trying to swipe him from us at the deadline? 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Jon Singleton playing first base today. No Diaz in the lineup 

Diaz is now a once or twice a week player with Abreu and Brantley back. That’s just the way it is in the regular season. 
if we can make the postseason I’d hope that the FO sets the lineups again and we can see Diaz catching every game but Framber, and playing DH or 1B when Framber pitches, but I’m not going to hold my breath. 

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think it's pretty amazing that we have a 24 year old rookie catcher who's on pace to go .280 with 22 homers (pro-rate to 30+ with a full season of pa) with an .825+ ops (.525+ slg) who also has a cannon for an arm and seems generally athletic - faster than you think 1st to 3rd, and has a bagwellion ability to slide into home.  you can count the number of mlb catchers who tick those boxes on one hand and have fingers leftover.

how was every team not trying to swipe him from us at the deadline? 

Because we would never trade him?

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Diaz is now a once or twice a week player with Abreu and Brantley back. That’s just the way it is in the regular season. 
if we can make the postseason I’d hope that the FO sets the lineups again and we can see Diaz catching every game but Framber, and playing DH or 1B when Framber pitches, but I’m not going to hold my breath. 

You’re assuming JV loses his personal catcher in the playoffs. I guess between the 2 of them it likely makes more sense to let Framber keep Linus’ security blanket as compared to JV.

Just now, hornmpa96 said:

You’re assuming JV loses his personal catcher in the playoffs. I guess between the 2 of them it likely makes more sense to let Framber keep Linus’ security blanket as compared to JV.

Oh I’m not assuming. That’s why I said I’m not going to hold my breath. But yeah- JV rarely threw to maldy when he was here last go round. Until Castro was hurt for good. Last year JV lost his personal CF in the playoffs. Hopefully both those absurdities go by the way said if we make the playoffs this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

there's no way this is true.

he may only catch 2/6 but if that's the case, he'll dh/1b at least 2 more.  i think he's a 4.5/6 type, though it should be higher.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there's no way this is true.

he may only catch 2/6 but if that's the case, he'll dh/1b at least 2 more.  i think he's a 4.5/6 type, though it should be higher.

Fact- Dusty absolutely hates playing him at 1B and basically did it as an emergency last time Abreu was down- now Abreu is back and Diaz clearly eats third (witness today’s lineup) so there’s no AB’s for him there. 
brantley and Yordan will get the vast majority of DH time. 
my bet is that Diaz plays when he catches 1 or 2 times a week and might get an occasional dh start for Brantley against a LHP. 
If that’s not the way it goes down I will be happy, but his lack of playing time this year has been pure lunacy and we now have 2 more bats Dusty seems to like more than him in singleton and Brantley. 

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fact- Dusty absolutely hates playing him at 1B and basically did it as an emergency last time Abreu was down- now Abreu is back and Diaz clearly eats third (witness today’s lineup) so there’s no AB’s for him there. 
brantley and Yordan will get the vast majority of DH time. 
my bet is that Diaz plays when he catches 1 or 2 times a week and might get an occasional dh start for Brantley against a LHP. 
If that’s not the way it goes down I will be happy, but his lack of playing time this year has been pure lunacy and we now have 2 more bats Dusty seems to like more than him in singleton and Brantley. 

when he plays 3-4x per week this month i'm gonna go all tonytexas up in this bitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Except Dusty thinks he can't hit lefties, so . . .

I know. But Brantley is a lefty so he’s on the horns of a dilemma. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

when he plays 3-4x per week this month i'm gonna go all tonytexas up in this bitch.

Hey man- I hope you are right. I’m talking about starting btw- not pinch hitting or defensive replacement.