10/5/2005: Astros 10 Braves 5

10/6/2004: Astros 9 Braves 3

that’s a good run of game 1s in the LDS

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, APMP said:

Fun being in the stadium. Guy in my section was definitely liquored up something good as he keep yelling at Dusty about the wrong catcher starting.

Fess up.. which one of you beautiful bastards was it?

people like that are a fucking beating and should stay home 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

10/7/2023: Astros 6 Twins 4

10/11/2022: Astros 8 Mariners 7

10/7/2021: Astros 6 ChiSox 1

10/5/2020: Astros 10 A’s 5

10/4/2019: Astros 6 Rays 2

10/5/2018: Astros 7 Indians 2

10/5/2017: Astros 10 Red Sox 2

10/8/2015: Astros 5 Royals 2

10/5/2005: Astros 10 Braves 5

10/6/2004: Astros 9 Braves 3

that’s a good run of game 1s in the LDS

still waiting on a ws g1. 

also…

• Hook 'Em 1

Has anybody seen or heard Dusty’s postgame presser? I haven’t found it yet. 

Surely a reporter would have asked why he didn’t pinch hit for Maldy in the 8th, especially after pulling Brantley out of game for a fresh runner. 

I know we all know what his horseshit answer would be, but I think every now and then an entrepid reporter will ask him a decent question. Those questions that actually have substance, and usually elicit a defensive response from him.

It doesn’t happen that often. Just hoping it did. I like when he gets asked “hard” questions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

must be nice for the nl to get the day off tomorrow.  why didn't they just stagger them from the beginning?  kinda shitty.

I’m pretty sure that’s how we got fucked in ‘98.

It was game, off day, game, off day, game.

That kind of bullshit allowed Kevin Brown to start games 1 and 3 against the Astros in a 5 game series.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

That kind of bullshit allowed Kevin Brown to start games 1 and 3 against the Astros in a 5 game series.

Yep, it was game / off / game, and Brown started games 1 & 3.  But he started Game 3 on three days rest which back then wasn't quite as big of a deal as it is today.  We started Randy Johnson in Game 1 and Game 4 so he had four days rest and lost both games.  It didn't make a shit when Biggio, Bagwell and Moises Alou go a combined 4 for 24 in those two games.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

The tbs crew talking doom and gloom for the dodgers if they lose game 1 ….

The fs1 crew only talked about the twins being in the series because they know they can score vs the Astros 

Not Big Papi though. He said the Twins are done, see you in Houston for the ALCS.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

we'll see how it goes, but this format allows strider to go in g1 and then g4 on regular rest.  jv cannot do that, nor bradish.

kershaw could, but, well, you know.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.54e49782f66fe639c480b0029ba90e64.png

Room for improvement there. But hey, a decent postseason so far for Senor October.

In other news, has anyone every tracked the record for HRs on a team's first pitch of a game, postseason or otherwise? It's almost as if we've come to expect it from Altuve, which is beyond remarkable. The only people who seem not to realize it are opposing pitchers looking to get ahead with high fastballs. 

Meanwhile, Bregman's been getting a lot of close (or closer) shaves here lately. Wonder what's up with that. Giving up a HBP right in front of Alvarez seems unwise. 

4 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Room for improvement there. But hey, a decent postseason so far for Senor October.

In other news, has anyone every tracked the record for HRs on a team's first pitch of a game, postseason or otherwise? It's almost as if we've come to expect it from Altuve, which is beyond remarkable. The only people who seem not to realize it are opposing pitchers looking to get ahead with high fastballs. 

Meanwhile, Bregman's been getting a lot of close (or closer) shaves here lately. Wonder what's up with that. Giving up a HBP right in front of Alvarez seems unwise. 

Without doing any research whatsoever, I am guessing any record pertaining to leadoff home runs is held by Ricky Henderson.  But I could be completely wrong about that.

4 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Without doing any research whatsoever, I am guessing any record pertaining to leadoff home runs is held by Ricky Henderson.  But I could be completely wrong about that.

First pitch to his team is what Altuve has proved a master of clubbing. I've never seen anything like it. 

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

First pitch to his team is what Altuve has proved a master of clubbing. I've never seen anything like it. 

So a little bit of research yields the following:

According to Baseball Reference, Ricky Henderson is indeed the leader in leadoff home runs with 81 total.  Altuve has 34 as of September 20th, 2023, which I guess means he has at least 35 now.  That would tie him with Bobby Bonds.

Then there are these tweets from Sarah Langs.

Edited by ScottS
added another tweet, and grammar
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you're stupid enough to throw a first pitch fastball for a strike to Altuve, you are probably stupid enough to put a LHRP in to face Yordan and Tucker.

I would tell my pitcher to throw a slider in the opposite batter's box because there's about a 70% chance Jose will swing at it.

7 minutes ago, runthebone said:

If you're stupid enough to throw a first pitch fastball for a strike to Altuve, you are probably stupid enough to put a LHRP in to face Yordan and Tucker.

I would tell my pitcher to throw a slider in the opposite batter's box because there's about a 70% chance Jose will swing at it.

low and away, Altuve always swings and misses 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Bigger Saturday TOOTBLAN: Gunnar Henderson's misread "steal" sign or Abreu's failed saunter into second? Two very different fails, yet both spectacularly stupid. 

If I recall, Abreu fouled a ball off this foot during his at bat and took a few minutes to recover due to discomfort… he looked okay rest of at bat, but have to think he was still in some pain and that played into his split second decision not to slide. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Halohal said:

Go Astros 

Palabra 

Dusty Baker says there is a difference in how the wind circulates when the roof is open. He added that MLB decided to open the roof without input from the Astros’ players and staff.

The roof will be open for Game 2 of the Division Series. The Astros have traditionally and defiantly preferred to have the roof closed during the postseason, but Jeremy Peña says it’s no big deal nor an advantage for either team whether the roof is open or closed.

Edited by tx 3 putt