2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Leon has had strikeout problems his whole minor league career.  I think the best you can hope for there is for him to not K at an obscene rate.

I mean- the best you can hope for is George Springer and he gets it all the way down to 20% without losing the power- through consistent incremental improvement.  That is veeeeeeeery unusual though.  Like Springer he's a pretty special athlete.  Also like Springer he hasn't played a ton of baseball (he sat for a while leaving Cuba, Covid, then injury.  Maybe he will be a late bloomer in that sense. I sort of doubt it.  Hope he can be Siri with more pop. That would be a good outcome if not best case.  Best case is Springer mas o menos.  

1 minute ago, uoftorange said:

Hoping this is the funk ender for the guys.  That and Dusty realizing Chas and Hensley need to be in the lineup.  And he should see what Salazar and Diaz (mostly Diaz) can do

Salazar can't do shit.  Everyone knows this. He is here, specifically, b/c they see him as useless roster filler and they don't want to cut down on Korey Lee's development time in AAA.  

But, Dusty gotta Dusty so of course he's going to play him and sit Diaz again. That fucking stubborn old goat is so fucking frustrating. It's like he can't follow the thread of what the organization is trying to do- and that's figure out whether or not Diaz bat is going to play and if his catcher skills are good enough to catch 50 or 60 games a year there as a backup next year.  But no, we get the Salazar experience. I was pro putting him in late and giving him a pinch hit the other day b/c I'm ALWAYS pro guys getting called up for the first time ever getting in a game ASAP so they don't end up like Moonlight Graham.  But after that he should sit on a bench and spit sunflower seeds for a month and be there for the break glass in case of emergency related to PH or PR for Maldy late in a game that the FO intended him to be.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Hoping this is the funk ender for the guys.  That and Dusty realizing Chas and Hensley need to be in the lineup.  And he should see what Salazar and Diaz (mostly Diaz) can do

He has 2 years of data to indicate McCormick should be an everyday player, yet he has taken every opportunity possible to play someone else. I’m not sure why one more game would be a tipping point. They literally have to trade guys away (Straw, Siri) or send them down (Meyers) to keep him in the lineup.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, formermav43 said:

He has 2 years of data to indicate McCormick should be an everyday player, yet he has taken every opportunity possible to play someone else. I’m not sure why one more game would be a tipping point. They literally have to trade guys away (Straw, Siri) or send them down (Meyers) to keep him in the lineup.

And even then he said- I will see that move and raise you a "dubon is JV's personal CF" in the most bizarre move I've ever heard of, truthfully. Because his arm is stronger and he can keep people from going first to third.  The guy with the lowest Whip in baseball.  And who pretty much only gives up ER through Solo HR's.  Fucking awful. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And even then he said- I will see that move and raise you a "dubon is JV's personal CF" in the most bizarre move I've ever heard of, truthfully. Because his arm is stronger and he can keep people from going first to third.  The guy with the lowest Whip in baseball.  And who pretty much only gives up ER through Solo HR's.  Fucking awful. 

And if you really want to go insane, compare their defensive metrics in CF.

• Rage+1 2

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Salazar can't do shit.  Everyone knows this. He is here, specifically, b/c they see him as useless roster filler and they don't want to cut down on Korey Lee's development time in AAA.  

But, Dusty gotta Dusty so of course he's going to play him and sit Diaz again. That fucking stubborn old goat is so fucking frustrating. It's like he can't follow the thread of what the organization is trying to do- and that's figure out whether or not Diaz bat is going to play and if his catcher skills are good enough to catch 50 or 60 games a year there as a backup next year.  But no, we get the Salazar experience. I was pro putting him in late and giving him a pinch hit the other day b/c I'm ALWAYS pro guys getting called up for the first time ever getting in a game ASAP so they don't end up like Moonlight Graham.  But after that he should sit on a bench and spit sunflower seeds for a month and be there for the break glass in case of emergency related to PH or PR for Maldy late in a game that the FO intended him to be.  

The best is Dusty starting Salazar against an LHP.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Siri is on another hot streak, it will not last, but he has had mulitple hot streaks to Meyers's one. With the ability to be an elite defensive CF with a + arm, neither of those things apply to Meyers.

27 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Nothing screams baseball like a pile of dirty snow.  Great idea they had building in a stadium without a roof.

All I can say after living up there for a summer is those people love and worship summer so much that they'd deal with freezing to death in April and being cold in May and September if they get to be outside in the sun June-August.  It's an appreciation you just can't understand unless you have seen them up there...

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I know what Julks has done in the minors, same as you. I’m not basing anything off of 16 abs. The guy is a 4A player. You like arbitrage and enjoy when the Astros are rewarded for going left when every other team goes right, especially in talent acquisition. That’s great and I get it, but this is your new AJ Reed. 

Dubon made an error last night that they turned into a hit. This is a 3 true outcomes era and you’re valuing the fact that a lightweight slaphitting bum hasn’t k’d. He didn’t k in the 7th last night, unfortunately. That GIDP sure wasn’t predictable. 

If they cut Maldonado today, they’d have a better team tomorrow. He’s going full Gurriel this year if he’s not actually going to play defense. 

Archive this one too. 

LoL your boy AAAA player Corey Julks hitting .316 so far.