2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

Me and my wife's bucket list is to see every MLB stadium.  Haven't been to see the A's yet and debating if we want to even try to go see the Coliseum in the next three years (along with Oracle Park) or just wait until they move to Vegas.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Me and my wife's bucket list is to see every MLB stadium.  Haven't been to see the A's yet and debating if we eaeantt to even try to go see the Coliseum in the next three years (along with Oracle Park) or just wait until they move to Vegas.

I saw some games there 10 years ago. Stadium sucked. And the A’s were decent then so they pulled a modest crowd. 

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Me and my wife's bucket list is to see every MLB stadium.  Haven't been to see the A's yet and debating if we want to even try to go see the Coliseum in the next three years (along with Oracle Park) or just wait until they move to Vegas.

I just hit 17 parks 2 weeks ago.   I have been to Oakland, and I would go before they move if I were yall. Like you already know you can knock out SF also.  

Oakland rules for the fact there are no lines at anything.  You miss none of the game drinking, eating or pissing because no one is there lol.  

It is worth saying you have seen that dump.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Went to see the Yanks-Angels game last night. Gotta see Ohtani and Trout when they come through. Just two ridiculously talented guys that are hard to root against. Rendon on the other hand can kick rocks.

First time seeing Volpe in person. That guy is extremely high energy in the field and on the base paths. Once he gets straightened out at the plate and adjusts to major league pitching he’s going to be hard to deal with. The Yanks have needed a guy like this for a LONG time. Hope he grows into his role and progresses well.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dodgers? Yankees?

342359074_191459157028337_85918614732221

I think either team would give up the farm for him. I would think the Dodgers would be more liable to get him, but man if he were available there is only a handful of guys who are off-limits in the entire league. Anyone not named Judge or Cole could be had to bring him to The Bronx.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

I just hit 17 parks 2 weeks ago.   I have been to Oakland, and I would go before they move if I were yall. Like you already know you can knock out SF also.  

Oakland rules for the fact there are no lines at anything.  You miss none of the game drinking, eating or pissing because no one is there lol.  

Nice.  We've been to 12 so far.  Next year is our 10 year anniversary and we are planning to do about a week long trip to So Cal and hit those 3 ballparks (planning to stay in San Diego and just drive to Angels/Dodgers).

We have a 12 x 12 scrap book that my wife makes a photo collage of pics from each stadium/game we go to and make it colored to the teams colors.  I also get a mini pennant of the team to stick in it and used to put our tickets in it, but probably won't be able to that anymore since tickets are basically off the MLB app now.

I'm waiting to hear back from my nephew that goes to Setan Hall, but we are going to hit up the 2 NY stadiums late July.  It'll be nice to have a place to stay and someone going with us that knows all the subway/bus routes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Los Angeles Angels manager Phil Nevin had never been ejected twice from the same game. Until Wednesday.

"That's a first," he said before Thursday's series finale against the New York Yankees.

In the ninth inning with the score tied at 2 on Wednesday, Mike Trout was called out on a full-count checked swing by first-base ump Will Little, stranding two.

Nevin emerged from the Angels dugout to yell and point at Little. He was tossed, but continued past the foul line to approach Little and was thrown out again by plate umpire Lance Barksdale.

Nevin said he told Barksdale he already had been tossed, "Just to let you know."

The umpire responded, "Oh, I'm sorry," according to Nevin.

Nevin went to short right field to tell Little his thoughts from up close. 

6 hours ago, Scraps said:

I have 16 parks - have not been to a new one since my son was born and the world shut-down in early 2020.

We visited O.Co in 2016 when in town for the Texas-Cal game (ugh).  We bought last minute tickets in the second deck for almost nothing and there were three other people in our section.  I do not remember the game, but I remember the guy that bought a hot dog and sat down in the corner of the section to eat it.  The stadium employee immediately stopped him and asked him to see his ticket and he ignored her and pretended he couldn't talk with the hot dog in his mouth.  The employee eventually got another employee, who got security, and by the end of the half-inning, there were a dozen guys trying to interrogate this guy sitting in an almost completely empty section of a mostly empty stadium.  He walked off at the end of the half-inning after finishing his hot dog.  I tried to buy a stuffed animal for my sister on the way out and the gift shop was basically totally empty because apparently they did not want to restock because the season was almost over.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

100% this.  It's a great place to experience baseball.  Great seats are very reasonably priced.  Parking is relatively cheap.  The weather is usually great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I have 16 parks - have not been to a new one since my son was born and the world shut-down in early 2020.

We visited O.Co in 2016 when in town for the Texas-Cal game (ugh).  We bought last minute tickets in the second deck for almost nothing and there were three other people in our section.  I do not remember the game, but I remember the guy that bought a hot dog and sat down in the corner of the section to eat it.  The stadium employee immediately stopped him and asked him to see his ticket and he ignored her and pretended he couldn't talk with the hot dog in his mouth.  The employee eventually got another employee, who got security, and by the end of the half-inning, there were a dozen guys trying to interrogate this guy sitting in an almost completely empty section of a mostly empty stadium.  He walked off at the end of the half-inning after finishing his hot dog.  I tried to buy a stuffed animal for my sister on the way out and the gift shop was basically totally empty because apparently they did not want to restock because the season was almost over.

Lol I stayed and went to the 3 Astros v A's games right after the Cal game weekend.  

10 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The stadium reminds me of something you might see in College Station.  It's turrrrible.  One positive is very short beer lines.  As in, non-existent lines.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:55 PM, Scraps said:

another installment of MadBum being a bitch

Fuck that guy and his getting his panties in a wad if a batter takes a hard cut or expresses frustration about missing a pitch, or any of about a hundred other supposed slights that seem to put sand in his vag.  Kinda glad he got DFA'd.  

18 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

100% this.  It's a great place to experience baseball.  Great seats are very reasonably priced.  Parking is relatively cheap.  The weather is usually great. 

There are no great seats in that stadium because of all the foul territory.  There aren't even any good seats.

17 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The stadium reminds me of something you might see in College Station.  It's turrrrible.  One positive is very short beer lines.  As in, non-existent lines.

It’s nothing like college station Wtf. It was way prettier before Mt Davis but still a great stadium for what it is. Easy ingress/egress thanks to BART, short lines even when we were averaging 25k attendance a game. Reasonably priced seats before COVID (not worth to see the garbage now more than once a season)

4 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

It’s nothing like college station Wtf. It was way prettier before Mt Davis but still a great stadium for what it is. Easy ingress/egress thanks to BART, short lines even when we were averaging 25k attendance a game. Reasonably priced seats before COVID (not worth to see the garbage now more than once a season)

Oakland Coliseum is a fucking boil on the buttocks of baseball.  It has nowhere near the character of really old stadiums like Fenway and Wrigley, and it doesn't have the facilities or visual appeal of newer places like Petco, MinuteMaid, etc.  It's in the shitshow middle.  The only remotely redeemable qualities are the low cost of tickets and the absence of lines.  But you get what you pay for.   

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Are you friends with people born in 1950? Who the fuck was an adult in 1968 that you hang out with on the reg

My post was a knock on the A’s organization and it’s propensity to move.

Their next move will be their 3rd in 70 years. No one else has more than 1 in that timespan (and only 5 others have done it at all during that stretch).

Year Team Arriving City Departing City
1955 A's Kansas City Philadelphia
1958 Giants San Francisco New York
1958 Dodgers Los Angeles New York
1966 Braves Atlanta Milwaukee
1968 A's Oakland Kansas City
1972 Senators/Rangers Arlington Washington
2005 Expos/Nationals Washington Montreal
~2025 A's Las Vegas Oakland

On 4/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nice.  We've been to 12 so far.  Next year is our 10 year anniversary and we are planning to do about a week long trip to So Cal and hit those 3 ballparks (planning to stay in San Diego and just drive to Angels/Dodgers).

We have a 12 x 12 scrap book that my wife makes a photo collage of pics from each stadium/game we go to and make it colored to the teams colors.  I also get a mini pennant of the team to stick in it and used to put our tickets in it, but probably won't be able to that anymore since tickets are basically off the MLB app now.

I'm waiting to hear back from my nephew that goes to Setan Hall, but we are going to hit up the 2 NY stadiums late July.  It'll be nice to have a place to stay and someone going with us that knows all the subway/bus route

Depending on the start times, you can easily take the train from SD to both Dodger Stadium and Anaheim.  The train station is in the parking lot of Anaheim Stadium.  For the Dodgers, you will need a short cab or Uber to Chavez Ravine.

• Hook 'Em 1