2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

And in time to make it back to Spring Training.

A judge on Friday ordered the conditional release of Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco while he is investigated for allegations he had a relationship with a 14-year-old girl and gave her mother a car and thousands of dollars in exchange for her consent, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The judge said Franco is allowed to leave the Dominican Republic but must return once a month to meet with authorities. He also was ordered to pay 2 million Dominican pesos ($34,000) as a type of deposit as the investigation continues.

Franco, who was expected to be released early Saturday, did not speak to reporters after the hearing ended. During a bathroom break earlier in the day, he briefly told reporters that "everything is in God's hands."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39248127/dominican-republic-judge-orders-rays-ss-wander-franco-release-investigation-continues

On 1/7/2024 at 4:43 PM, UTexasFight said:

As good a place as any to post this.

came across this organizing shit in the garage today

7C9A5C34-A9A3-48FD-ABBB-FB9A20E84822.thumb.jpeg.cca40f124baadefd683eadac1c1b006f.jpeg

I’m not about to research it, but how many dads/grandads of future MLBers are on that ballot?

I see 3 easy ones but not sure of more

Spoiler

Kessinger, Mayberry, Hundley 

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m not about to research it, but how many dads/grandads of future MLBers are on that ballot?

Hide contents

Sandy Alomar and Bobby Bonds are not the easy ones, but Don Kessinger is?  Also, Manny Mota, Matty Alou, is that Grady Sizemore's dad?

37 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Hide contents

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Sandy Alomar and Bobby Bonds are not the easy ones, but Don Kessinger is?  Also, Manny Mota, Matty Alou, is that Grady Sizemore's dad?

Yastrzemski

6 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

man, that's an awesome ballot.

funny being reminded buckner is nl.  he is immortalized as a al player.  that was such a short part of his career though. 

csb/ Will never forget.  sitting in Disch-Falk shooting the shit with some fellow season ticket holders in the row over.  Got to talking about Buckner and how his son was on the UT roster (I had no idea).  So I'm telling my Bill story from years and years ago, and we all have a laugh.  We had a several beers during an inning break out in the lot and I'm walking out of the 3b side men's room.  And I'm half in the bag, and realize my fly is down as I'm walking back to the tunnel.  I'm straddling, legs apart, barely able to stand and zipping up like you could roll a grounder between my legs without me knowing anything about it.  And I look up befuddled.  And who is there in front of me, trying to get into the pisser?  Bill Fucking Buckner.  In town to see his kid's team.  If there's a scorecard for coincidences, mail it to heaven...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Orioles to be sold to group led by David Rubenstein

John Angelos has agreed to sell the Baltimore Orioles to a group led by Carlyle Group Inc. co-founder David Rubenstein, according to multiple reports Tuesday.

The transaction reportedly values the Orioles at $1.725 billion.

Rubenstein, a Baltimore native, reportedly will take over as the team's controlling owner. He's assembled an investment team that includes Ares co-founder Michael Arougheti.

Major League Baseball still must approve the sale. Owners are scheduled to meet next week in Orlando, Florida.

A sale must be approved in a vote of at least 75% by the 30 major league teams. The sales approval process typically lasts several months.

The Angelos family has been in control of the Orioles since 1993, when Peter Angelos purchased the team for $173 million. Angelos' son John has been the team's chair and managing partner since 2020, as Peter suffers from dementia.

The Orioles recently finalized a deal with the Maryland Stadium Authority to remain at Camden Yards for the next 15 years, with a path to expand the commitment to 30 years.

Rubenstein previously had shown interest in buying the Washington Nationals.

Prior to forming Carlyle in 1987, he practiced law in Washington. From 1977-81, he was a deputy assistant for domestic policy to President Jimmy Carter. After graduating from Duke in 1970, he attended University of Chicago Law School.

The Orioles are coming off a 101-win season and their first AL East title since 2014. With young stars like Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson and another top prospect on the way in Jackson Holliday, the future looks as bright as it has in a while for a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1983.

One sore spot with fans is the club's payroll, which has remained low, and it's been another quiet offseason for the team so far. If the new ownership group is able to keep Baltimore's young core together, the Orioles could have a lengthy window of contention.

When Peter Angelos first took control of the Orioles, they had recently started playing at Camden Yards, the downtown venue that revolutionized the way baseball parks were built. The Orioles spent aggressively, at least for a little while, and won the division in 1997 with future Hall of Famers Cal Ripken, Roberto Alomar, Mike Mussina and Harold Baines.

After that, Baltimore didn't make the postseason again until 2012, when the Orioles began a renaissance under manager Buck Showalter. They eventually had to rebuild again, losing at least 108 games in 2018, 2019 and 2021 -- a streak interrupted only by the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

Even as the team posted the best record in the AL last year, there were ominous signs, such as a New York Times piece in which Angelos was quoted as saying: "When people talk about giving this player $200 million, that player $150 million, we would be so financially underwater that you'd have to raise the prices massively."

Information from The Associated Press and Field Level Media was used in this report.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39425417/reports-orioles-sold-2-private-equity-billionaires

A racist POS or several RPOSs tore down a statue of Jackie Robinson outside a little league baseball complex in Wichita. It was found, beyond repair, yesterday.

https://www.kmuw.org/news/2024-01-30/league-42s-jackie-robinson-statue-found-destroyed

A go-fund me has been organized to get it replaced and help fund the local non-profit that runs the league. I think it would be awesome if the efforts of these shitstains would backfire and serve as a springboard for even more racial harmony.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/replace-our-stolen-jackie-robinson-statue

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don’t really follow the Angelos family drama and know this is what Daddy Peter wanted, but on the surface a bit surprising to sell now with the O’s on the cusp of being a dominant team for a while. Especially with the opportunity to negotiate to build out a Battery-style district around the ballpark.

or maybe John/family figured that was going to be too hard to pull off and/or decided a ~30 year run and a ~10x return on the initial purchase price was good enough.

In any event, gotta think the AL East just got that much more stacked: a great system /roster in place and now new billionaire owner of his childhood team who looks willing to pay to keep it that way. (O’s fans just have to hope they make better decisions out of the gate than Cohen)

8 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

A racist POS or several RPOSs tore down a statue of Jackie Robinson outside a little league baseball complex in Wichita. It was found, beyond repair, yesterday.

https://www.kmuw.org/news/2024-01-30/league-42s-jackie-robinson-statue-found-destroyed

A go-fund me has been organized to get it replaced and help fund the local non-profit that runs the league. I think it would be awesome if the efforts of these shitstains would backfire and serve as a springboard for even more racial harmony.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/replace-our-stolen-jackie-robinson-statue

According to ESPN they have raised over 140K.

Fuck those thieves. Hope they get tar and feathered.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39431403/donations-pour-replace-destroyed-jackie-robinson-statue

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Jesus christ the orioles are not contenders and will collapse back to earth this year. They are in the exact same position the Marlins, Mets, Padres, and Angels have been in in recent years. Look at how those dynasties panned out.

The comp is the Astros.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Jesus christ the orioles are not contenders and will collapse back to earth this year. They are in the exact same position the Marlins, Mets, Padres, and Angels have been in in recent years. Look at how those dynasties panned out.

Remember this post going into 2023?

On 10/2/2022 at 5:59 PM, Helobious said:

Lol. You’ll be lucky to finish in 3rd place next year. 

This is exactly like when everyone thought the Marlins “turned the corner” in 2020. Promising young stars and loaded farm system. Look how great that turned out. The O’s are pretty inept and vastly overperformed this year (winning record with negative run differential). You’ll regress next year and stay in the cellar where you belong.

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

They still haven’t shown me enough to take them serious. If they’re in 2nd place or better at the all star break it’ll mean something. 

But you wanted to crown the Rays after 1 month last season