Dallas Stars 2023 Playoffs Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

No Miro love? I has a sad.

Seriously, great win, doing all this without Pavs too.

I didn’t hit on the top line guys because they’re all doing what we know and love. Miro’s been outrageous all season.  

Showing the young cats and old war horses some love. 

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

No Miro love? I has a sad.

Seriously, great win, doing all this without Pavs too.

I was thinking earlier about something I heard about Miro. I think it was Nill talking to Norm. They said they called Jere to ask him about Miro like they do any Finn. He's no nonsense straight up about strength and weakness. 

"Miro. He's fine. Does everything."

That's when they knew.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Evason getting completely out coached again in the playoffs. It's like he doesn't get their dirty play doesn't pan out during playoffs.

To me they're still trying to replicate the cup play of  STL a few years ago. But the league has moved on from that model. It's why we got rid of those old coaches. That style of play of great for establishing good defensive principles, it's not a good recipe for playoff success these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The winter classics should be the new unis, with the brown gloves

Agreed. I really don’t like the Victory Green sweaters. The white is better — and I wish NHL would go back to home teams wearing white.

That was a very enjoyable game. Let’s close this shit out Friday night!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Evason getting completely out coached again in the playoffs. It's like he doesn't get their dirty play doesn't pan out during playoffs.

It really doesn’t. It took a really talented guy off the ice in 27 seconds. I’m irritated we didn’t win Game 1 and close it out tonight. This team is dangerous in a hurt more players like Pavs kind of way. 

5 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

That guy needs to go make me a latte and heat up my blueberry muffin.

Taking their Norse ancestry a little too far. Was that really on the Jumbotron?

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Lol these fucking wild are desperate man doing all kinds of unnatural moves to dry and draw calls Jesus just TAKE THE FUCKING LOSS PUSSIES

It's like the TNT color announcer said in the game "Instead of constantly trying to blow someone up, maybe they should just play hockey".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, wood said:

Russo: If the Wild can’t kill penalties, they need to stop taking them

https://theathletic.com/4452573/2023/04/26/wild-marcus-foligno-penalty-russo/

Jesus, what a whiny, titty-baby article by Russo. The comments are worse. A couple of interesting numbers from the article/comments:

• The Wild are 5-13 in their last 18 home playoff games
  • Dean Evason is 17-47 in career playoff games in the WHL/AHL/NHL, going 1-12 in series in his career (one win was in the WHL)

41 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Can yall post the article for us non subscribers? 

Here ya go. I'm not a subscriber & I can see it, so I assumed everyone could. Guess once I hit enough stories viewed, I won't be able to see 'em either. I like the Athletic, but I ain't tryna pay for it.

“I’ve said this before, they take penalties, and when they do, we have to make them pay.”

That was Pete DeBoer ending his Game 4 presser Sunday night, and he certainly knew that would sting the Wild when they felt the two penalties on Marcus Foligno that cost the Wild a couple power-play goals in a two-goal loss were in the words of Foligno, “bulls—,” and “a joke.”

Well, Tuesday night, after Jake Oettinger fired a 27-save bullet for a 4-0 Game 5 win to give the Stars a 3-2 series lead, the Dallas coach placed his broken record on the turntable over and over … and over and repeated his same mantra: “Minnesota is one of the most penalized teams in the league. We knew we were going to get power plays. So the goal was to make them pay for it and we’re doing that and we’ve got to keep doing that.”

You have to hand it to DeBoer: He sure knows how to consistently needle.

The “whining,” as coach Dean Evason called it after Tuesday’s loss, has been relentless and we’ll never know for sure if it’s gotten embedded inside the heads of the 10 different refs we’ve seen in this series.

Whether DeBoer’s manipulating the zebras or not, the Wild’s lack of discipline dismantled another game Tuesday night. And whether you agree with the calls or not, there’s still no other choice for the Wild but to kill these penalties off.

Yet, for a second consecutive postseason, this team continues to be completely inept on the penalty kill, feeble on the power play and the latest display for both special teams led to a deflating defeat.

The Wild will have two days to lick their wounds before Game 6 in St. Paul on Friday night. When a best-of-seven series is tied 2-2, the winner of Game 5 holds an all-time series record of 224-61 (.786).

Now, the Wild have three times in history rallied from 3-2 deficits (2014 vs. Colorado and 2003 when they rallied from 3-1 deficits against Colorado and Vancouver), which is why defenseman Matt Dumba says, “This series isn’t over. Simple as that.”

If you were to choose the worst possible scenario to start Game 5, Foligno, who was steaming mad for what he felt were bogus penalties against him two nights earlier, was amazingly right in the middle of a mess once more.

Just 2:14 into the game, Foligno attempted an open-ice body check on Radek Faksa. However, Foligno’s right leg clanked Faksa’s right leg and the forward went down in a heap.

Refs Steve Kozari and Chris Lee conferenced and assessed a five-minute major for kneeing. They reviewed their decision and upheld the major, which comes with a game misconduct.

“A major, I don’t know,” Foligno, showered and in a black suit, said immediately after having to watch the final 57:46 in a quiet, lonely locker room. “I don’t agree with it obviously. I’m keeping my lane, and it’s unfortunate we both hit in that leg area. I wouldn’t say it’s a knee-on-knee. I hit him on the upper area. He’s rotating out of the way. I don’t move my leg at all. I stay my course. That’s how I see it.

“If you want to give me a penalty, for sure, but a five-minute and a game misconduct to throw us out of here, yeah, I just don’t agree with that.”

There’s no doubt this wasn’t a typical knee-on-knee where the assailant sticks his leg out. And it sure felt like the refs were playing the result of an injured Faksa, who returned to the bench during the major, meaning he technically didn’t miss a shift. The chance of Foligno being further disciplined by the league is miniscule.

Regardless, eight seconds into the major, Tyler Seguin — bumped onto the Stars’ first unit in place of the injured Joe Pavelski — became the first player in Stars/North Stars history and the first NHLer in 20 years to score four power-play goals in a single series.

“It took some life out of us, for sure, with everything that’s gone on and all the whining and stuff about everything,” Evason said. “We disagree with it. We don’t think he changed his path. He could’ve changed his path and probably stepped in hard. If anything, their guy changed paths. We watched it several times, he does not move. Moose does not move, doesn’t move his legs, nothing. He stays straight, he braces himself, incidental contact, two big men.

“If anything, we thought their guy moved and our guy did not.”

The Wild escaped further damage on the major when the Stars took a penalty, but the Wild faced virtually an entire game without Foligno.

Fast forward to later in the period, Jake Middleton was called for cross-checking Seguin. Seventeen seconds into that advantage Jason Robertson scored.

“We got to be smarter when to put pressure and when not to put pressure,” center Freddy Gaudreau said of the lousy PK. “They have big weapons of course. We all know that.”

This is two consecutive playoffs now where the Wild’s special teams have been an absolute disaster. Their power play went 0 for 3 Tuesday and is 4 for 20 in the series after going 4 for 24 last postseason. Their penalty kill has surrendered nine goals after giving up eight last year to the Blues.

They have given up at least one power-play goal in 10 of their past 11 playoff games.

Yes, it’s debilitating that Joel Eriksson Ek is missing, especially in the faceoff circle. But Pavelski’s absence since the second period of Game 1 should theoretically be hurting the Stars’ power play.

It hardly has, and what’s worrisome, Pavelski could be back by Game 6 or 7. Eriksson Ek? Sure doesn’t seem so.

One big reason for the lousy special teams is the Wild’s incompetence in the faceoff circle. The Stars, No. 1 in the league in this area in the regular season, entered the game ranked second in the NHL this postseason by winning 70.8 percent of their power-play draws. The Seguin and Robertson goals came seconds after Gaudreau was beaten by Jamie Benn. The Stars scoring right after faceoff wins has been a common trend all series.

“We’ve got to be better,” Gaudreau said.

The Wild also feel the Stars have been flopping all series. Ty Dellandrea and Joel Kiviranta were called for embellishment in the third period leading to four-on-fours, but the game was out of hand at that point.

Maybe Faksa, a bit of a shift disturber, embellished for the benefit of the major, maybe he didn’t. The Wild sure alluded to that after the game, and Faksa did make a fast recovery after needing help off the ice. And it sure looked like Seguin took an easy tumble when hit by Middleton before the Stars’ second goal.

“We got a couple of diving calls against them, which was maybe a little bit too late,” Evason said.

While the Stars may be literally flopping, Kirill Kaprizov is figuratively flopping.

He’s been a total no-show thus far as the Stars have defended him terrifically.

Kaprizov, who scored seven goals in six playoff games last spring, has one goal and zero assists in five games. That goal came with 48 seconds left in the first period in Game 1 on the power-play deflection.

He has no even-strength points in the series and has gone 313 minutes, and eight seconds without a point. That’s 15 consecutive periods without a point, plus 12:20 of the second overtime of Game 1.

Maybe he’s still not 100 percent from the lower-body injury sustained in March. Maybe he’s feeling the sting of those Ryan Suter cross-checks in Games 1 and 2. Whatever the reason, the Wild need Kaprizov, who has gone four games without a point for the first time in his career, and the extremely disappointing Matt Boldy, who has one goal in 11 career playoff games, desperately.

We’ve surely watched the Stars’ best players be their best players, especially Roope Hintz, who tacked on three more assists and now has a single-series franchise-record 11 points for Dallas in only five games.

It’s time for Kaprizov and Boldy to reciprocate.

“We have no doubt that our group and those guys in particular will show up in Game 6,” Evason said.

The only way the Wild will extend this series to a winner-take-all Game 7 on Sunday is if they solve Oettinger, the Lakeville native who is 3-2 with a 2.19 goals-against average and .925 save percentage. Sam Steel had a breakaway in a 0-0 game and was stopped, although Evason felt he was chopped from behind. But it was the latest example of the Wild being one-on-one with Oettinger in this series and being unable to finish.

Sure, the Wild have an amazing number of bad breaks. The four officials missed Suter playing with a puck with a high stick before Dallas’ third goal, for example, although Filip Gustavsson sure served up a juicy rebound for Mason Marchment’s goal in a second straight average game from the goaltender.

But it’s time for the Wild, 5-13 in their past 18 home playoff games, to show they actually did learn some lessons from last postseason.

They have to stay out of the box. When they take a penalty, they have to kill them.

Period.

What’s concerning is how somebody like Foligno continues to play his game as if he’s being eyeballed by the refs.

“Maybe just hit guys along the boards,” Foligno said. “You feel like you let your team down. It’s a tough feeling coming back in here by yourself and seeing your team down a man the whole game. … I feel bad for the guys. I feel bad coming all this way and you get put in a position the way we did early.”

The Wild have a lot of work to do if they plan to extend this series.

“Hopefully we can use these next couple of days to recharge and rejuvenate, get excited,” Evason said. “We didn’t have our best stuff obviously tonight for whatever reason. So in two days we expect our group to be excited, jacked to get home, win one game and see what happens in seven.”

Edited by wood

13 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Evason sure is a whiny bitch. Losery mentality leading his losery bunch of losers to the golf course on Friday night. 

yeah, I didn't have any particular opinion about the wild going into the playoffs as I generally like their team (at least the former Stars players and people like Flower) but man if they haven't turned out to be whiney bitches of the highest order. and none bigger than their weiner of a coach who looks like he's gonna combust on the bench. man he gets so red. lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Here ya go. I'm not a subscriber & I can see it, so I assumed everyone could. Guess once I hit enough stories viewed, I won't be able to see 'em either. I like the Athletic, but I ain't tryna pay for it.

So this article has

1) minnesota coach and player whining over and over 

and 

2) minnesota coach complaining about Dallas whining (and diving)

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So this article has

1) minnesota coach and player whining over and over 

and 

2) minnesota coach complaining about Dallas whining (and diving)

Yep, but I posted it more for the author's takes about them continuing to just repeat the things that are causing them to lose rather than just playing hockey and calling out the Wild's lack of discipline and just general ineptitude, and how much it's hurt them in the series. Where he talks about Pete 'whining' incessantly, yeah he can fuck right off. Where does that even come from? I haven't seen one quote from Pete that looked even a little bit like whining.

4 hours ago, wood said:

Yep, but I posted it more for the author's takes about them continuing to just repeat the things that are causing them to lose rather than just playing hockey and calling out the Wild's lack of discipline and just general ineptitude, and how much it's hurt them in the series. Where he talks about Pete 'whining' incessantly, yeah he can fuck right off. Where does that even come from? I haven't seen one quote from Pete that looked even a little bit like whining.

he keeps saying they are the most penalized team in the league which in their "Fargo logic" heads equals whining.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wood said:

Russo: If the Wild can’t kill penalties, they need to stop taking them

https://theathletic.com/4452573/2023/04/26/wild-marcus-foligno-penalty-russo/

That is a lot of crying about the officiating in a game THEY LOST BY FOUR GOALS.

Not going to wade through all of the comments, but a lot of Wild fans were complaining about Evason and Foligno being idiots.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

"It's bulls---," Foligno said. "This is playoff hockey. You go and hit a guy and it's not illegal. It's clean and you're getting called to the penalty box."

There you have it!  The definitive word on "playoff hockey" from a guy who's 0-5 in playoff series with 7 points and 70 PiM in 28 career playoff games. 

Edited by Beau Vine

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

now ESPN all in on the Wild/Fellini getting screwed

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/36299603/how-fix-officiating-stanley-cup-playoffs

what fucking horseshit.  I really hope we send these titty babies home tomorrow but gonna have to fight through the stripes.

Thanks for posting. The headline is stupid. Editors write the headlines, but the author did make an effort to balance it by getting the other side of the story from an ex-NHL ref and the Scouting the Ref website guy. Their input leans more toward the officiating generally being as good as usual and kinda takes over the story. Some of their input is actually kinda interesting and worth the read.

Edited by wood

There's more level-headedness in there, but this is the end of the article ...

The media plays a major part in driving this mindset, according to Smith.

"Bashing the officials is your cheap pop in wrestling. It's a standup comedian saying, 'Hello, Cleveland!'" Smith said. "Everybody's on your side. I mean, nobody's out there going, 'Yeah, I think the officials did really well' on a broadcast."

Jackson believes it's local media that really indoctrinates fans to criticize referees.

"What happens is any home team's fan base who watch games on a regular basis takes what's said by their broadcasters as the gospel. When you hear about conspiracy theories, it's just patently untrue many times," he said. "But that's the narrative they put forward. That whole team's fan base starts to believe it. And that's an injustice. It creates a crisis when there really isn't a crisis."

But, complaining about Stanley Cup playoff officiating is a rite of the season. A rite is defined as a "social custom or practice," i.e. something that we create.

The dirty secret about "terrible" playoff officiating is that it's part of hockey fandom. The boos, the chants, the running to social media to proclaim the puck definitely hit the stick and the NHL is definitely trying to keep certain teams from advancing ... it's all part of the Stanley Cup playoff tradition at this point.

After all, a little human error goes a long way in connecting fans emotionally with the game. It's the perfect imperfection of professional sports.

"We're in this weird space," Smith said. "How much do we need to get the call right and how much can we live with?"