Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wish we had given Flagg more of a look. He's undersized but players who can actually do linebacker things without having to project from other positions are rare in this state.

Of course he's North Shore so perhaps we never had much of a chance anyway.

No.  Duncanville slept with their girlfriends or something.  No North Shore.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I don't know. Linebacker recruiting is a mystery to me this cycle.

Scott doesn't really address my concerns either way.

Maybe they are confident of using Safety's like CTJr as one..except in name only?  However if that was the approach, I would have expected a stronger push for Darius Snow.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Maybe they are confident of using Safety's like CTJr as one..except in name only?  However if that was the approach, I would have expected a stronger push for Darius Snow.

Snow might have some other mental eval-ish issues that caused Texas to pass on him.

I think there's a good chance between Thompson, JQJ and even Hullaby that we can find someone to convert to LB, but ideally you have at least one or two players in the class where minimal projection is required to keep the floor high.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Snow might have some other mental eval-ish issues that caused Texas to pass on him.

I think there's a good chance between Thompson, JQJ and even Hullaby that we can find someone to convert to LB, but ideally you have at least one or two players in the class where minimal projection is required to keep the floor high.

JQJ is going to be a stud QB, and I think Hullaby could be a great LB...except for the fact that he also has the swiss army skills to really blossom on offense.  Be it FB, HB. TE

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know. Linebacker recruiting is a mystery to me this cycle.

Scott doesn't really address my concerns either way.

Oh, just this cycle?

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

JQJ is going to be a stud QB, and I think Hullaby could be a great LB...except for the fact that he also has the swiss army skills to really blossom on offense.  Be it FB, HB. TE

I think if we end up hitting on Liebrock and Wiley and we seem to have good depth and talent at TE, then Hullaby probably makes sense moving to LB. If we look well equipped to just run with a TE for most of our offensive snaps, then we don't really need Hullaby there, even if he can excel. But I also don't really get the impression just from social media and reports that we've pitched him on a potential move to LB as part of his recruitment. Guess we'll see. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You mean referring to yourself in the third person  as " the snowstorm" migh5 be a red flag?

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe passing on the dude committed to LSU when he was all Texas was a bad idea? I don't think Orlando has a fucking clue what he's looking for at LB. It shouldn't be a scenario where the odds are lottery level in terms of finding the right fit. That's not a Texas HS thing. 

Linebacker recruiting remains a mystery to me. Orlando doesn't really seem like he has a "type" other than he wants elite speed at the Rover. Ossai fell into our laps because of Sumlin buffoonery, Floyd was a lucky break (ironic) that his support system was moving to Austin, and Gbenda is TBD but seems like he could turn into something even though we were late on the offer. Adeoye seems meh, and Byron Vaughns has been in witness protection. If Shark doesn't turn into an all league player his senior year we are in for a big step back on D.   

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Linebacker recruiting remains a mystery to me. Orlando doesn't really seem like he has a "type" other than he wants elite speed at the Rover. Ossai fell into our laps because of Sumlin buffoonery, Floyd was a lucky break (ironic) that his support system was moving to Austin, and Gbenda is TBD but seems like he could turn into something even though we were late on the offer. Adeoye seems meh, and Byron Vaughns has been in witness protection. If Shark doesn't turn into an all league player his senior year we are in for a big step back on D.   

He was a guaranteed redshirt who plays the same position as Ossai. He's got plenty of time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He was a guaranteed redshirt who plays the same position as Ossai. He's got plenty of time.

On top of what Tex said, he's also been getting rave reviews behind the scenes. Unless that's changed, I'd pump the breaks. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, texifornia said:

Boyd did a medium dive on K-State's class so far: http://sportstreatise.com/2019/06/checking-in-on-kliemans-rebuild-at-k-state/

Always go by the average and not the total. That would make it

1.) Texas

2.) OU

3.) TCU

4.) West Virginia

5.) Oklahoma State

6.) Iowa State

7.) Kansas State

8.) Baylor

9.) Texas Tech

10.) Kansas

19 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Staff is going to hit the grad transfer market next spring for another LB to bring in.  We are about two more seasons away from having a stacked LB group coming into their Jr/SR seasons.

I'd cool the jets that our LB is going to be stacked in two years, but I do think we'll continue to see JUCOs at the position. Decent grad transfers will be hard to find. 

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'd cool the jets that our LB is going to be stacked in two years, but I do think we'll continue to see JUCOs at the position. Decent grad transfers will be hard to find. 

I'm banking on the development with the players we have now. Two more seasons under Yancy and in the system (if Olrando is still here, of course).

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm banking on the development with the players we have now. Two more seasons under Yancy and in the system (if Olrando is still here, of course).

Yeah, I know you always bank on development. Doesn't change the fact that most guys don't develop and that the room is light in both young quantity and quality.

DB and WR are the groups that I think it's fair to bank on be really good in 2021. They had class of 2018 contributors and really good 2019 classes. LB doesn't fit that bill, especially with DGF's uncertainty.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

52 minutes ago, texifornia said:

A lot of people on this board have gotten so used to us having to play a ton of freshman the last 4 or 5 years that they give up on a kid if he doesn't make an impact as soon as he steps on campus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

We've had this kid up to ATX a couple times, but never offered: https://247sports.com/Player/DeSanto-Rollins-46053453/

That's not entirely true. Oscar Giles offered to be his mentor and texting friend. He's one of numerous recruits in this cycle that Oscar is mentoring in their decisions to go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

LSU got 2 DT commits today giving them 4-5.  What does this do with Roy, Guillory, and Lee?  I'd take any 3 of them.

Even they don't go to LSU, we're not winning battles for blue-chip DL in Louisiana. Some SEC school will snap them up.

And LSU is taking a large DL class this cycle.

The Roy stuff is bizarre to me. Im not too familiar with him specifically or the quantity and quality of LSU’s DT class, but when was the last time a kid ranked that high, who goes to ULab, ends up elsewhere? Dylan Moses and?

perroni and company have started to bang the Roy to aTm drum with increasing tempo. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Roy stuff is bizarre to me. Im not too familiar with him specifically or the quantity and quality of LSU’s DT class, but when was the last time a kid ranked that high, who goes to ULab, ends up elsewhere? Dylan Moses and?

perroni and company have started to bang the Roy to aTm drum with increasing tempo. 

Watch Bama for Roy 

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like a kid committed to Gundy last week, took an OV to Tech this weekend, and then was told he no longer had an offer from OKState.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma-state/Article/Myles-Price-no-longer-an-Oklahoma-State-commitment-visits-Texas-Tech-133100562/

Kinduva douchey article if you ask me.  Quoting the dictionary definition of “commitment”?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like a kid committed to Gundy last week, took an OV to Tech this weekend, and then was told he no longer had an offer from OKState.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma-state/Article/Myles-Price-no-longer-an-Oklahoma-State-commitment-visits-Texas-Tech-133100562/

He's a pretty solid recruit to pull the full no-visits move with. Everyone knows Boise State will put you in the league (Hi Adimora): https://247sports.com/Player/Myles-Price-46050101/

Edited by texifornia