Justified: City Primeval

Parliament

Clement is no Boyd Crowder, or even Venus Van Damme.  Some good throw-away lines but not much real 'Justified' look and feel until the end of episode 2.  It was like a string of cliches strung together with some wat moments thrown in, like the caddy bomb clowns and the road rage out of nowhere incident.  Sandy already has the easy mark, take the money!  The defense attorney is about 40lbs past 'interesting,' hope they aren't going where it looks like they're going.

Edited by TOR
damme, son

I consider justified one of the best series ever and we rewatch it every year or so start to end.

This one is missing a lot. It’s forced in that Raylan wasn’t in the book; it was Mansell vs DPD cop Raymond Cruz. It’s lacking so much of what made Justified so perfect.
No one on this show in Detroit is a sympathetic figure. What makes the original so good is that Raylan is back home to the land, which connects everyone in Harlan. Here he is an outsider, has no connection to anyone, and there’s no interesting characters so far, just assholes.

Hopefully it gets better.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Only weak point is the daughter. She's ditractingly wooden and cliche.

The only weak point is Raylan riding around in something other than a fucking Lincoln. What's next, a straw hat from Tractor Supply?

• Hook 'Em 1

Initial thoughts:

- Raylen’s daughter is annoying AF. Mumbles her way through every line. Maybe she needs subtitles.

- I’m a big Victor Williams fan. He’s classically trained actor, and he was great on King of Queens. 

- Of course Boyd Holbrook is terrific. Kills in everything. 

- Good to have Raylen back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Adelaide Clemens was also good in the first two episodes.  I've liked her going back to Rectify.

She’s got some killer legs. I’d rather she hook up with Raylan than that obnoxious defense attorney. The blond is more like Ava, being a criminal and all that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:55 PM, TOR said:

Clement is no Boyd Crowder, or even Venus Van Damme.  Some good throw-away lines but not much real 'Justified' look and feel until the end of episode 2.  It was like a string of cliches strung together with some wat moments thrown in, like the caddy bomb clowns and the road rage out of nowhere incident.  Sandy already has the easy mark, take the money!  The defense attorney is about 40lbs past 'interesting,' hope they aren't going where it looks like they're going.

If you want a Viola Davis type, just cast Viola Davis. 

On 7/20/2023 at 7:13 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Initial thoughts:

- Raylen’s daughter is annoying AF. Mumbles her way through every line. Maybe she needs subtitles.

- I’m a big Victor Williams fan. He’s classically trained actor, and he was great on King of Queens. 

- Of course Boyd Holbrook is terrific. Kills in everything. 

- Good to have Raylen back. 

i always wanted that dude from snowfall, the uncle, do to more.  dude was a badass in that show, as a character but also as an actor.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am really wanting to love this show, especially since people be hatin on it, but I think they really really fucked up by letting Olyphant's daughter play a role. I find myself not being able to take the show seriously at all because she's so bad. I hate to hate on a young kid but it's pretty damn distracting. I dislike the villain enough. 

9 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I am really wanting to love this show, especially since people be hatin on it, but I think they really really fucked up by letting Olyphant's daughter play a role. I find myself not being able to take the show seriously at all because she's so bad. I hate to hate on a young kid but it's pretty damn distracting. I dislike the villain enough. 

She’s 20. It’s fine to say she can’t act for shit. 

I think many were relieved to see her getting on a plane, hopefully less scenes now.  If she was the best audition for that character, yeesh... As someone mentioned, the mumbling baby voice was our main issue...and the terrible acting but other than that she was fine.

Oh she definitely got Raglan’s anger and attitude.

The whole story started with Raylan taking her to a camp for kids with issues because she punched another girl and broke her nose.

And she mentioned it again in the latest episode.

“Don’t go around backstabbing me.”

“Or you’ll do what?”

“Why do you think I punched that bitch in the nose?”

That’s a Raylan/Helen/Arlo move for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

getting the same vibes as a lot of people on here.   daughter Olyphant definately didnt catch the acting gene. 

my real problem so far is the absolute level of ridiculousness of the main bad guy.  I know its a show and its got to have conflict, but having an early 30s guy* playing a certified hardass sociopath with no care for humanity, with the intelligence level of a slug, while still somehow outwitting everyone else is really bad writing 

Lets be honest, hes a terribly written part.  At no time in the history of bad guys (real or fake)  who have just calmly killed 4 people (he thought 5), who then see the cops start to surround the motel parking lot he's staying at, would just sit the fuck back on the bed and smoke waiting for them to arrest him.   At that point he knows theres a damn good chance hes going to jail for life for 5 murders.   

Hell no, he wouldnt have played super cool bad guy. No, he would have run out fhe front door or jumped out a back window and at least tried to escape an almost guaranteed life sentence. 

The only real-life bad guy I could see acting like super calm collected, "nothing can touch or bother me" kinda guy Is if he were a grown-up-in-the-business-since-7YO son of either a Russian/Albanian Mobster, or a Japanese Yakuza. And this fuck is not that hes just another piece of Detroit trash. 

Yes, there are sociopaths that dont think rules apply to them, but this clown is shown as having gunned down at least 8 people (assuming the Albanian didnt cough up some cash), while actively chasing a US Marshall and then messing with his daughter, I mean thats just terrible writing for a 6 episode arc.

At least if Boyd did something ridiculous, it was build up over more episodes and maybe several seasons

*although the dude playing him is 42 years old, so major credit to him not looking that old

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 2

The story is way off. Raylan wouldn’t be about to get down with the chunky defense attorney, crooked as she is. He’d be hooking up with Sandy. A hottie with a good heart and great legs that fell into larceny with the wrong guy.

It’s getting better but is still seriously flawed.

• Hook 'Em 2