2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ahaha this dude was Roach's favorite recruit ever - like the family would have him over for dinner and he'd tweet #SchagerBomb every time he scored

The coverage worked out in terms of getting four years of college in Hawaii

Free food = favorite player

• Hook 'Em 3

All the money they've committed to bags and coaches the past six seasons... Holy shit. This is exploding into an entirely different stratosphere of worst ROIs in the history of college sports.

Coming from the same bunch of dipshits that bought Eric Dickerson a gold trans am that he took to SMU.
  • Haha 1

:-))

Jordan Scruggs: "Also of note, in speaking with a separate source around lunchtime today, I was also told that Texas feels good about their chances to land UTSA EDGE Moore, as they do Deion Burks and Andrew Mukuba. Should have more on both Burks and Mukuba sometime tomorrow."

(Some academic complications with Moore, though.)

Update on UTSA EDGE transfer Trey Moore, more portal notes

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

Spoiler

— Yesterday morning I spoke with a source near UTSA redshirt sophomore EDGE transfer Trey Moore who told me that Austin, Texas was the preferred destination for the highly coveted pass rusher. I was able to speak with that source again around midnight last night and there are some new developments in the recruitment. 

I’m told that Alabama, LSU, and Texas are the three teams to watch currently. Having already been in college for three years as a redshirt sophomore, Moore’s plan is to play one season at his new college before declaring for the NFL draft, with hopes of graduating from college in December of 2024. 

Now that’s where things get tricky for Texas. Even though UTSA and Texas are both in the University of Texas system, I’m told that out of the three schools to watch, Texas is where the least amount of his credits would transfer to. 

To dumb it down in the easiest way possible, I was told that Alabama and LSU are telling Moore that they would be able to have him graduate in December like he hopes. If he went to Texas, I’m told that he wouldn’t be able to graduate in December because he wouldn't be able to transfer as many credits to Texas like he would be able to at Alabama and LSU. 

To be honest with you I’m not sure if there’s anything that Texas can do to change the circumstances for when Moore could graduate, but issues with credits for transfers is a somewhat common problem that really isn’t talked about much. 

For example around this time last year I had written three stories for Baylor to land three different players out of the portal. I had it confirmed through multiple sources that those three players had already silently committed to staff and all three were takes, but all of them backed off their pledge after learning they would have to do more than two semesters of college to graduate and all three guys only had one year of playing eligibility left so they ended up taking their talents elsewhere. 

With Baylor being a private school that has more than a handful of weird intricacies, I think they face that problem much more than schools like Texas do but I felt it was worth adding for context. 

With all of that said, I was still told to consider Texas as one of the three teams to watch alongside Alabama and LSU, but felt adding the background details on the academics was worthy of being in the story nonetheless. To continue on that, I can still see Texas overcoming this and landing a commitment from Moore regardless of the credits issue. 

Also of note, in speaking with a separate source around lunchtime today, I was also told that Texas feels good about their chances to land Moore, as they do Deion Burks and Andrew Mukuba. Should have more on both Burks and Mukuba sometime tomorrow. 

— In The Stampede earlier this week I wrote that Houston sophomore wide receiver Matthew Golden will be a name to watch for Texas if Golden decides to enter the portal. I also wrote that Golden’s chances of entering the portal will largely depend on if Houston wide receivers coach Daikiel Shorts is retained by Willie Fritz as Fritz is still in the process of putting his staff together to coach the Cougars. 

As of last night I was told that Shorts isn’t expected to be on staff with Fritz next season, and in turn I'm expecting Golden to show up in the portal by the end of the week. 

Expect Texas to be among countless other schools that will show interest in the 6-foot, 190 pounder that’s accumulated 988 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns off of 76 receptions (13 YPC) in 20 career games for the Cougars. 

Golden’s value in the return game will also make him highly coveted, as in 14 career kick return attempts he’s run back two returns for touchdowns and has totaled 437 return yards which is good enough for 31.2 yards per kick return. 

Texas has an interesting angle they could use here, as Golden was high school teammates at Klein Cain and is good friends with Texas redshirt freshman running back Jaydon Blue. 

While we're on the topic of Houston, I'm expecting the Cougars to eventually land Tulane wide receiver Chris Brazzell out of the transfer portal. Would make lots of sense with his old coaching staff now in H-Town. 

— We're exactly one week away from four-star defensive back Kobe Black announcing his commitment. With Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Oregon, and LSU rounding out the five finalists, Texas continues to be the expected landing spot. Horns247's Hank South and I still feel great about our 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions that favor Texas for Black, and I'll be on-site at Connally High School in Waco to cover Black's ceremony. 

The potential of Kobe's older brother Korie Black entering the transfer portal to serve his last year of eligibility with his younger brother has been one of the hotter topics on social media circles for Longhorns fans in the last few weeks. I've been checking in with sources about that topic, and as of right now it's not looking like they'll be at the same program next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the elder Black does appear in the portal sometime soon, but I won't be expecting the eventual landing spot to be at Texas. 

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

According to sources, 247Sports National Analyst Brian Dohn and I have learned that Duke defensive line transfer RJ Oben has locked in a Notre Dame official visit. He is expected on campus in South Bend this weekend from Dec. 8-10.

Oben is also expected to visit Florida State. The tentative plan for that trip is Dec. 15-17.

Another thing that's fun is that the type of guy Elko had at Duke is less likely to be interested in following him to Aggy

35 minutes ago, Getafix said:

:-))

Jordan Scruggs: "Also of note, in speaking with a separate source around lunchtime today, I was also told that Texas feels good about their chances to land UTSA EDGE Moore, as they do Deion Burks and Andrew Mukuba. Should have more on both Burks and Mukuba sometime tomorrow."

(Some academic complications with Moore, though.)

Reveal hidden contents

— Yesterday morning I spoke with a source near UTSA redshirt sophomore EDGE transfer Trey Moore who told me that Austin, Texas was the preferred destination for the highly coveted pass rusher. I was able to speak with that source again around midnight last night and there are some new developments in the recruitment. 

I’m told that Alabama, LSU, and Texas are the three teams to watch currently. Having already been in college for three years as a redshirt sophomore, Moore’s plan is to play one season at his new college before declaring for the NFL draft, with hopes of graduating from college in December of 2024. 

Now that’s where things get tricky for Texas. Even though UTSA and Texas are both in the University of Texas system, I’m told that out of the three schools to watch, Texas is where the least amount of his credits would transfer to. 

To dumb it down in the easiest way possible, I was told that Alabama and LSU are telling Moore that they would be able to have him graduate in December like he hopes. If he went to Texas, I’m told that he wouldn’t be able to graduate in December because he wouldn't be able to transfer as many credits to Texas like he would be able to at Alabama and LSU. 

To be honest with you I’m not sure if there’s anything that Texas can do to change the circumstances for when Moore could graduate, but issues with credits for transfers is a somewhat common problem that really isn’t talked about much. 

For example around this time last year I had written three stories for Baylor to land three different players out of the portal. I had it confirmed through multiple sources that those three players had already silently committed to staff and all three were takes, but all of them backed off their pledge after learning they would have to do more than two semesters of college to graduate and all three guys only had one year of playing eligibility left so they ended up taking their talents elsewhere. 

With Baylor being a private school that has more than a handful of weird intricacies, I think they face that problem much more than schools like Texas do but I felt it was worth adding for context. 

With all of that said, I was still told to consider Texas as one of the three teams to watch alongside Alabama and LSU, but felt adding the background details on the academics was worthy of being in the story nonetheless. To continue on that, I can still see Texas overcoming this and landing a commitment from Moore regardless of the credits issue. 

Also of note, in speaking with a separate source around lunchtime today, I was also told that Texas feels good about their chances to land Moore, as they do Deion Burks and Andrew Mukuba. Should have more on both Burks and Mukuba sometime tomorrow. 

— In The Stampede earlier this week I wrote that Houston sophomore wide receiver Matthew Golden will be a name to watch for Texas if Golden decides to enter the portal. I also wrote that Golden’s chances of entering the portal will largely depend on if Houston wide receivers coach Daikiel Shorts is retained by Willie Fritz as Fritz is still in the process of putting his staff together to coach the Cougars. 

As of last night I was told that Shorts isn’t expected to be on staff with Fritz next season, and in turn I'm expecting Golden to show up in the portal by the end of the week. 

Expect Texas to be among countless other schools that will show interest in the 6-foot, 190 pounder that’s accumulated 988 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns off of 76 receptions (13 YPC) in 20 career games for the Cougars. 

Golden’s value in the return game will also make him highly coveted, as in 14 career kick return attempts he’s run back two returns for touchdowns and has totaled 437 return yards which is good enough for 31.2 yards per kick return. 

Texas has an interesting angle they could use here, as Golden was high school teammates at Klein Cain and is good friends with Texas redshirt freshman running back Jaydon Blue. 

While we're on the topic of Houston, I'm expecting the Cougars to eventually land Tulane wide receiver Chris Brazzell out of the transfer portal. Would make lots of sense with his old coaching staff now in H-Town. 

— We're exactly one week away from four-star defensive back Kobe Black announcing his commitment. With Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Oregon, and LSU rounding out the five finalists, Texas continues to be the expected landing spot. Horns247's Hank South and I still feel great about our 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions that favor Texas for Black, and I'll be on-site at Connally High School in Waco to cover Black's ceremony. 

The potential of Kobe's older brother Korie Black entering the transfer portal to serve his last year of eligibility with his younger brother has been one of the hotter topics on social media circles for Longhorns fans in the last few weeks. I've been checking in with sources about that topic, and as of right now it's not looking like they'll be at the same program next year. I wouldn't be surprised if the elder Black does appear in the portal sometime soon, but I won't be expecting the eventual landing spot to be at Texas. 

14 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I know you all share my amazement that LSU and Bama will gladly take UTSA credits UT-Austin won't.  🙄

Seriously, us having more transfer credit difficulties with a school in the goddamn UT system than Alabama and LSU is both hilarious and sad.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

What's the scouting report on this Deion Burks guy? Had like 600 yards this year as a Jr and not much his first two years. That's all I know but sure seems odd that we offered him and not yet on Wells, Sheppard or a bunch of others.

He can fucking go

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.