2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 hour ago, Hornmatic said:

How much for a fathead wall decal? 

And a mancave with a small shitty LCD tv, two tailgate chairs, putting grass floors, and cringy written commandments at the door.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Casey and Shaun should've

Then there was 2008, that was a pretty good year; Leach really went on about em in his book

Point is, this isn't the first time in (what my old ass considers) recent memory that we've had a godlike pair of DTs

08 was pretty bad

image.thumb.png.d64d362bc50eb03af47efa4798482af8.png

Ian Boyd: What does Tiaoalii Savea bring to the Texas defense?

Johnny Nansen had an interesting challenge waiting for him in Austin as the new co-defensive coordinator for the Texas Longhorns. The team was losing an extremely valuable duo in the middle of the defense with T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy heading to the NFL Draft while their position coach Bo Davis left for the same role with the LSU Tigers.

The nose tackle position in particular is an area of concern. The two main figures at the position in 2023 were Murphy and Trill Carter, the latter of whom exited via the transfer portal. Likely replacement Ja’Maree Caldwell opted to head out to Oregon after Davis was poached, leaving Texas without a position coach or a transfer option to stabilize the interior.

No matter, Nansen had a solution in Tiaoalii Savea, a former blue chip recruit from Nevada who’d joined him at UCLA and followed him to Arizona. Now Savea comes to Texas with just the skill set to help the Horns solve for losing their impact contributors up the middle.

Scouting Savea

Savea’s stats on the year tell an intriguing story. He had 22 tackles on the year with six tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks, which is solid but not overwhelmingly dominant. The Wildcat defensive front last season had two lines and Savea typically played on the second unit and often as a 4i-technique in a 3-down front. Those are good numbers for a back-up who’d play 30 or so snaps every game but don’t necessarily convey his part in the Arizona defense.

He was rated 90.86 out of Las Vegas (Nev.) Desert Pines and was 6-foot-3, 265 pounds but now is listed at 6-foot-4, 308 after three years of college strength and conditioning. Savea doesn’t have amazing length or many pass-rush moves to speak of although he has some real burst when allowed to shoot gaps in the run game. For Arizona he was useful as a point of attack defender or slanting on blitzes who could either be hard to move or hard to keep out of the backfield as the situation might dictate. Here’s a few of his highlights against Oklahoma.

Savea is solid against a double team unless it’s pass protection in which case he’s largely a non-factor save for in the fact he’s occupying two people. It’s a win if a defense can get the protection scheme to dedicate two men to blocking Savea, he’s not particularly dangerous in the pass rush. He is very familiar with the art of slanting to deny angles and occupy blockers who are then unable to pick up blitzers. Arizona Mike linebacker Jacob Manu had 6.5 sacks on the year on those blitzes.

As Savea’s higher rate of tackles for loss indicates, he’s at his best playing 1-on-1 or (better still) on the move generating penetration into the backfield. Savea caused real problems for the Oklahoma run game and was spilling runs with penetration on a remarkably high percentage of his snaps. He’s a very stout presence when working upfield because of his combination of initial quickness and raw power.

How does he fit into the Texas defense?

Texas is in need of nose tackle to play next to Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, and Jaray Bledsoe. The scheme Texas has been playing actually makes use of penetration and quickness at nose tackle. Murphy was routinely freed up to get after teams in the A-gap and blow up schemes before they could get started by burrowing under guards and getting into the backfield.

Savea could have a similar impact although he’s not the same sort of player. As a 2i nose tackle he could command a lot of double teams with his ability to blow by guards and some of his snaps at 4i as a Wildcat suggest he won’t be totally washed away when the double team comes. He’s not terribly easy to move. It will be an adjustment for him but not totally dissimilar from what he’s done in the past and he certainly doesn’t lack the physicality or doggedness to perform in a sacrificial role.

If Savea can hold down 30 or more snaps a game as a nose it sets Texas up to continue to play and develop Aaron Bryant and Sydir Mitchell alongside him without asking them to lead the way just yet. This might also open up opportunities for Texas to explore the possibilities of slants and stunts from their tackles in the coming season. Collins is one of the better looping defensive tackles in the game and would do well coming around the edge of a Savea slant.

Inside-Texas-diagrams.jpg

If the guard chases the nose inside the protection is cooked against Collins coming around. Texas has yet to show much in the movement game up front under Pete Kwiatkowski but are likely to evolve in this direction with Davis gone and Nansen on board. Texas’ 2024 defense continues to take shape.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Is Dabo getting any heat or pressure from fans & media for Clemson no being more active in the portal? FSU already surpassed them becuz of the portal. The same could also happen with Miami.

Uh, mailbox, Jerrah Jones here. Everybody that Dabo needs to win…. is right there in that locker room. 

10 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Is Dabo getting any heat or pressure from fans & media for Clemson no being more active in the portal? FSU already surpassed them becuz of the portal. The same could also happen with Miami.

Why do you do this shit? Why do you ask questions that you already know the answer to? Questions that have been discussed over and over on multiple threads, but especially this thread. Why do you ask if Dabo and Clemson are feeling heat from the media while linking a tweet that basically criticizes Dabo and Clemson for not being more active in the portal? Why don't you just stay on Orangebloods? God you're fucking weird. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Why do you do this shit? Why do you ask questions that you already know the answer to? Questions that have been discussed over and over on multiple threads, but especially this thread. Why do you ask if Dabo and Clemson are feeling heat from the media while linking a tweet that basically criticizes Dabo and Clemson for not being more active in the portal? Why don't you just stay on Orangebloods? God you're fucking weird. 

Let's go easy on Ketch. In fairness, this page is days and weeks ahead of OB on pretty much everything. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone posted the other day that this guy has as much rep as he does because he's spent time in the Cloak Room and struck all of the right chords and got pumped up that way. I think it's fatwa time, personally, and if someone in the CR is counterbalancing that shit, they should get some fucking negs too. Rep from the CR causing threads elsewhere to get fucked up by idiots has been a problem from inception. 

fatwa away, but I just looked at his posting history and at a quick glance don't see a single post outside Football/Recruiting.  

Even the CR has some standards.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize that Jayden de Laura was a minor when he forcibly and violently raped a friend of his in a stairwell and all, but I hope that motherfucker gets ostracized from ever getting any further chances in college sports. Go get your second chance waiting tables or working construction, you piece of human shit. Motherfucker.

Yeah... this is horrible:

https://universitystar.com/24868/sports/transfer-quarterback-settles-civil-suit-stemming-from-sexual-assault-case/

Spoiler

The plaintiff, whom the case states was an acquaintance of de Laura, was going to give players of the team symbolic flower leis after the game victory at the high school. She later received a text message from de Laura asking to talk in one of the school’s parking garage staircases. 

According to the civil case, “Defendants physically overpowered her, with Jayden forcing her to fellate Defendant Kamoi by holding her head from behind and pushing it down towards Defendant Kamoi’s crotch. At the same time, Defendant Jayden then forcibly pulled down Plaintiff’s shorts, bent her over at the waist, and began penetrating Plaintiff from the rear. Plaintiff was sobbing uncontrollably in fear and anger and Defendant Jayden began choking her to gain her cooperation… After Defendant Kamoi ejaculated in her mouth, Defendant Jayden shouted, “It’s my turn.”  

The plaintiff confronted de Laura via text message after the incident about the assault and received messages admitting to the assault, according to the civil case. The plaintiff made a police report in December of 2018, showing the police the messages exchanged as proof of the assault. 

• Rage+1 9

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Someone posted the other day that this guy has as much rep as he does because he's spent time in the Cloak Room and struck all of the right chords and got pumped up that way. I think it's fatwa time, personally, and if someone in the CR is counterbalancing that shit, they should get some fucking negs too. Rep from the CR causing threads elsewhere to get fucked up by idiots has been a problem from inception. 

Maybe someone was making shit up. Maybe you are. Either way, I went all the way back through his history and don't see a single post in the Cloakroom. 

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize that Jayden de Laura was a minor when he forcibly and violently raped a friend of his in a stairwell and all, but I hope that motherfucker gets ostracized from ever getting any further chances in college sports. Go get your second chance waiting tables or working construction, you piece of human shit. Motherfucker.

Looks like you hurt one of the Cloaktard's pussies.  🥲

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

fatwa away, but I just looked at his posting history and at a quick glance don't see a single post outside Football/Recruiting.  

Even the CR has some standards.

Well, good for them, then. If the prior poster was full of shit or being sarcastic and all of that dude's rep is from the football and recruiting boards, it is the worst example of poster curation from those forums since giving Carl over 2000 rep points. Insane.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, someone said that he gets pos rep from posting on The Football Forum, not the cloak room. Specifically this exchange from the 995 thead:

image.thumb.png.2c1eaaf81b78736a0655923668d43aba.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

No, someone said that he gets pos rep from posting on The Football Forum, not the cloak room. Specifically this exchange from the 995 thead:

I don't know who it was or what thread, but someone did say it was CR rep. I remember because I checked his posting history too after that comment.

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Never noticed him in that forum. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

image.thumb.png.2c1eaaf81b78736a0655923668d43aba.png

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Never noticed him in that forum. 

I feel like someone said he was a Cloak Roomer, but they may well have just been bullshitting for humor and I misread. Also, if I juxtaposed someone saying "football forum" for "CR" in my brain, my bad. I have no qualms about impugning the stupidity of the hive mind of the CR where you guys like to hang out, but I'm not attempting to make shit up to do so.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Before we fatwa him, we should settle that Ketch co-host debate.

I thought somebody sleuthed him out as being some lackey of Ketchum versus him actually being Ketchum.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I feel like someone said he was a Cloak Roomer, but they may well have just been bullshitting for humor and I misread. Also, if I juxtaposed someone saying "football forum" for "CR" in my brain, my bad. I have no qualms about impugning the stupidity of the hive mind of the CR where you guys like to hang out, but I'm not attempting to make shit up to do so.

I thought somebody sleuthed him out as being some lackey of Ketchum versus him actually being Ketchum.

Nope. I literally made it up out of whole cloth.  But it has become quite believable. 

image.thumb.png.e2ab8e83bbb09354224b3ca6c0391150.png

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Nope. I literally made it up out of whole cloth.  But it has become quite believable. 

image.thumb.png.e2ab8e83bbb09354224b3ca6c0391150.png

No, man. I know that shit. Someone else went down the rabbit hole and actually identified the guy. It seemed pretty obvious when he wrote the post that he was correct about it. Show us the list of Obloods employees and I'll likely be able to remember which one he is. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, man. I know that shit. Someone else went down the rabbit hole and actually identified the guy. It seemed pretty obvious when he wrote the post that he was correct about it. Show us the list of Obloods employees and I'll likely be able to remember which one he is. 

Was it Keenan Womack? He's no longer associated with OB as of January 5th based on Twitter. I'm looking through their shit but there's no like.. "roster" of OB employees that I can find.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.