2024 Transfer Thread - Watching victory88 & Friends Ignorantly Bawl All Over Themselves

7 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

First playoff appearance will do it

I get that, but Terry has been here for 3 years, and the DB play hasn't improved even though the talent definitely has.  

With Sark doing exit interviews with all the coaches after the season, this has to have been a topic of conversation each of the 3 years.

Now we're losing 2, if not 3+, experienced members of that room.  Hopefully the freshman class is full of Manny Muhammad and Derek Williams clones.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DixonHur said:

I get that, but Terry has been here for 3 years, and the DB play hasn't improved even though the talent definitely has.  

With Sark doing exit interviews with all the coaches after the season, this has to have been a topic of conversation each of the 3 years.

Now we're losing 2, if not 3+, experienced members of that room.  Hopefully the freshman class is full of Manny Muhammad and Derek Williams clones.

last year was a weird season.. the Run Defense was so elite it forced teams to throw.. we didn't exactly have a great pass rush, and we got picked apart, even vs not so great QBs.  I still feel there was improvement from the season before.  This season they need to keep improving or perhaps Sark makes it clear that they should entertain offers because the writing is on the wall that these performances will not cut it here

• Hook 'Em 4

I hope Sark’s sit downs with players aren’t too specific and definitive. Shit happens all the time and telling a third string or second string guy he’s going be that isn’t an ideal approach. I assume most of these portal guys just see the writing on the wall and aren’t being over influenced by bad news in a sit down. There’s honesty and integrity, but then there’s also too much information. I hope it’s not the latter. 

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

last year was a weird season.. the Run Defense was so elite it forced teams to throw.. we didn't exactly have a great pass rush, and we got picked apart, even vs not so great QBs.  I still feel there was improvement from the season before.  This season they need to keep improving or perhaps Sark makes it clear that they should entertain offers because the writing is on the wall that these performances will not cut it here

I hope you're right, regarding improvement, but to my eyes we were giving up too many easy slants and crossing routes. 

In my experience, slants are about leverage (technique) and crossing routes are about communication.  And that's just the corners/nickels...don't get me started on the safeties overrunning the play and letting WRs get behind them.

Ok, I need to calm down...breathe...ohmmm

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I hope Sark’s sit downs with players aren’t too specific and definitive. Shit happens all the time and telling a third string or second string guy he’s going be that isn’t an ideal approach. I assume most of these portal guys just see the writing on the wall and aren’t being over influenced by bad news in a sit down. There’s honesty and integrity, but then there’s also too much information. I hope it’s not the latter. 

There's a "dude we've got X amount of NIL dollars, and we're not going to spend them on you" come to Jesus moment for all of the backups.

4 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Look, I would be perfectly fine with firing one or both of the secondary coaches. But we also have to be real with ourselves, we basically started 4 safeties in the secondary last year. 

That is a feature with Terry Joseph. Same complaints from Aggies and Irish fan bases. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is a weird guy to bring this up on. I don’t think Austin Jordan needs Sark’s input to figure out he’s not starting over Jahdae Barron next fall. He’s going into year 3 with no prospect of starting or even playing much. Not that surprising he would want to transfer somewhere for playing time. This is a symptom of having a top 5 roster. UGA and Bama have guys like this transfer out regularly. After 12 years of wandering the desert, We’re finally at the point where we’re no longer taking that guy from Bama or UGA and instead have our own leaving. 

18 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Look, I would be perfectly fine with firing one or both of the secondary coaches. But we also have to be real with ourselves, we basically started 4 safeties in the secondary last year. 

Watts will be a safety at the next level and that’s where Texas wanted to move him. 

Brooks was thought to be better at safety by most coaches who recruited him. 

Taffe is Taffe. 

we played Thompson and Crawford in big games and situations. 

Williams is a pure safety prospect 

So you’re saying we’re going into Year 4 of Joseph coaching CBs with a success on the field and massive NIL resources and he’s still struggling to recruit/develop legitimate outside CBs?  Sounds like a guy who needs to go. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a weird guy to bring this up on. I don’t think Austin Jordan needs Sark’s input to figure out he’s not starting over Jahdae Barron next fall. He’s going into year 3 with no prospect of starting or even playing much. Not that surprising he would want to transfer somewhere for playing time. This is a symptom of having a top 5 roster. UGA and Bama have guys like this transfer out regularly. After 12 years of wandering the desert, We’re finally at the point where we’re no longer taking that guy from Bama or UGA and instead have our own leaving. 

So you’re saying it’s Year 3 of Joseph coaching CBs with a successful UT on the field and massive NIL resources and he’s still struggling to recruit/develop legitimate outside CBs?  Sounds like a guy who needs to go. 

Or move his ass to Safety since that's what he really wants to coach. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, D3zii said:

Or move his ass to Safety since that's what he really wants to coach. 

He’s not a good safeties coach, either. Moving around the problem doesn’t solve the problem. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s not a good safeties coach, either. Moving around the problem doesn’t solve the problem. 

At safety he has a feather in his cap. Recruited and developed a first rounder at Notre Dame. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

And put Gideon in charge of the corners?  

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9522fje1d2nuy63oidrtk2

Nah Gideon been dropping the ball since 09, Time to give him an off the field job.  Joseph is a safeties coach, that's why it never made sense when Sark hired him as a corners coach. Plus if you get rid of him im sure we take a hit in Louisiana, so gotta be smart. 

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

At safety he has a feather in his cap. Recruited and developed a first rounder at Notre Dame. 

Ok… The guy’s been a DBs coach for like 18 years. He’s never been promoted or stayed anywhere more than a few years while being related to guys who have flown through the coaching ranks. But sure, recruiting one guy who panned out in 18 years is huge. 

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

An insight as to why Joseph and/or Gideon were not replaced after the season?  

Seems Sark would have to know they are the weak links on the coaching staff.

I believe they've gotten a pass because their room was REALLY bereft of high end talent. That was the last part of the team that Sark finally started getting some talent infused into. Last season it arrived in the form of true freshman Muhammad and Williams who had to start as freshman. They also had a walkon starting at safety.

This year though I believe their excuses are all gone. Muhammad and Williams are now 2nd year starters and high end. They brought in a 3 year starter in Mukuba. Barron is back as a quality veteran starter. Upper class men with talent like Guilbeau should be ready to contribute. If this secondary looks anything like the backups looked in the spring game gotta believe there's a new secondary coach or two next spring. 

Thing is if Sark would have been willing to make the move last winter he could have had Akina as the DBs coach. Hell he almost got him as an analyst. This talent in the secondary coached by Akina would be salty and organized. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, D3zii said:

Nah Gideon been dropping the ball since 09, Time to give him an off the field job.  Joseph is a safeties coach, that's why it never made sense when Sark hired him as a corners coach. Plus if you get rid of him im sure we take a hit in Louisiana, so gotta be smart. 

I was obviously kidding, but who would coach the corners this year if Joseph was moved to safeties?  

As for Louisiana, I think his value there is overrated.  Not saying he's not a good recruiter there, but we have NIL and a winning program now.  I think the recruiting effect on of him leaving would be minimal.

In fact, it may improve if we get someone with a proven track record of development.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, D3zii said:

You guys are looking at this whole DB room situation the wrong way. Sure, it stings to lose experienced players to the portal and the ones that are here look poorly coached, but it's been awhile since we've been able to really lean into a position coach becoming a constant surlyhorns punching bag. It's been dire around here ever since Stan Drayton broke up with @golfclap and Andre Coleman got shitcanned. But now? In the words of Sam Ehlinger, "Weeeeeee're Baaaaaaack!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

As for Louisiana, I think his value there is overrated.  Not saying he's not a good recruiter there, but we have NIL and a winning program now. 

100% agree. 

Who has Joseph actually helped us secure from Louisiana? We keep hearing that fucking narrative and it is usually in the context of "Joseph is helping with player X due to his ties to the state!" followed by that player never actually landing at Texas. 

Derek Williams was 100% a financial decision. I don't care how certain people try to spin it. That was an NIL war and we won. Be proud. No shame in it. Thank those who opened their wallets. We could have ritually sacrificed both Gideon and Joseph at midfield to Bevo three hours before his announcement and it wouldn't have changed a thing with Williams. 

Only other notable player I can think of from Louisiana is Mack and Joseph's great contribution was finishing well behind both LSU and Florida. He ended up not being a take at LSU and it took Florida both completely imploding AND firing Mack's primary recruiters (both of them) including his position coach with no replacement plan in place. I'm glad to have the kid but it isn't like Joseph did anything impressive in that recruitment. Am I forgetting someone? We haven't even brought in any notable non DBs from Louisiana except Manning and if anyone tries to give Joseph an ounce of credit there they should be laughed off this site. 

I'm by no means saying Joseph is not overall a very solid recruiter. I know he is. The specific "he helps in Louisiana!" bullshit however hasn't seemed to actually matter at all. Sure as hell no reason to factor it into his ongoing employment. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You guys are looking at this whole DB room situation the wrong way. Sure, it stings to lose experienced players to the portal and the ones that are here look poorly coached, but it's been awhile since we've been able to really lean into a position coach becoming a constant surlyhorns punching bag. It's been dire around here ever since Stan Drayton broke up with @golfclap and Andre Coleman got shitcanned. But now? In the words of Sam Ehlinger, "Weeeeeee're Baaaaaaack!"

I believe @golfclap named his eldest son Drayton. 

• Haha 1

My guess would be trying to keep the coaching staff from our first CFP appearance intact and the fact that they are good recruiters, especially TJ. Perhaps they thought we just needed better talent, not coaching?

Just now, HateYouAndMyself said:

100% agree. 

Who has Joseph actually helped us secure from Louisiana? We keep hearing that fucking narrative and it is usually in the context of "Joseph is helping with player X due to his ties to the state!" followed by that player never actually landing at Texas. 

Derek Williams was 100% a financial decision. I don't care how certain people try to spin it. That was an NIL war and we won. Be proud. No shame in it. Thank those who opened their wallets. We could have ritually sacrificed both Gideon and Joseph at midfield to Bevo three hours before his announcement and it wouldn't have changed a thing with Williams. 

Only other notable player I can think of from Louisiana is Ward and Joseph's great contribution was finishing well behind both LSU and Florida. He ended up not being a take at LSU and it took Florida both completely imploding AND firing Ward's primary recruiters (both of them) including his position coach with no replacement plan in place. I'm glad to have the kid but it isn't like Joseph did anything impressive in that recruitment. Am I forgetting someone? We haven't even brought in any notable non DBs from Louisiana except Manning and if anyone tries to give Joseph an ounce of credit there they should be laughed off this site. 

I'm by no means saying Joseph is not overall a very solid recruiter. I know he is. The specific "he helps in Louisiana!" bullshit however hasn't seemed to actually matter at all. Sure as hell no reason to factor it into his ongoing employment. 

You're forgetting Tapp, Melvin Hills, and Wardell Mack. 

I won't bother trying to troll you with Arch Manning and Will Randall. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Both of them are up again in February 2025, right? 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're forgetting Tapp, Melvin Hills, and Wardell Mack. 

I won't bother trying to troll you with Arch Manning and Will Randall. 

I meant Mack when I said Ward (had a brain fart) but you got to it before I could edit it. For some reason I always want to think Wardell Mack's last name is Ward instead. Probably because I am regarded. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I think it is fair to say something is not clicking with the secondary. They have struggled consistently with switch concepts and things like leverage (spring game being the latest example). Rob B has been droning on about that stuff for basically 3 years. While I agree that the secondary was lacking in athleticism. This was not just a case of being out athleted. I believe it was Sark that came out talking about leverage in the secondary late in the season last year and we saw a change (right around the ISU game). I dont know who is responsible, but getting your secondary to understand the coverages and communicate is on the coaches. There is just far too many breakdowns happening to say it is simply a lack of speed. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Worth nothing that by the end of this window, if you showed up to spring camp unexpectedly overweight, you were eventually told this by the staff:

image.jpeg.ad9a0429ef6fa4318ebe0427fc3f0a41.jpeg

seemingly doesn't bode well for Mitchell.

Also worth noting. Michigan WR Cristian Dixon just hit the portal. Maybe the flood gates are about to open up there.

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Lol

Dang the fuck the Brocks curse really hit the fam hard 

The only way you fire Joseph is if you have a top notch tip of the spear guy ready to go.  It’s too late in the game 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Matthew Bingo GIF

probably. he checks every box. then that might be about it if we’re lucky.

You said 4-6 more in the portal.  Thoughts?  Linemen? Or wide receivers?

Looks like one option may not end in favor of the Ags.

- it seemed to be down to A&M and Auburn, for KeAndre Lambert-Smith, the Penn State WR, who was the top WR available in the portal

Some time ago ... 

image.thumb.png.566ef65bdb8b50c256857d157a45f2ca.png

The Ags are still after Sam Brown from Houston.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Looks like one option may not end in favor of the Ags.

- it seemed to be down to A&M and Auburn, for KeAndre Lambert-Smith, the Penn State WR, who was the top WR available in the portal

Some time ago ... 

image.thumb.png.566ef65bdb8b50c256857d157a45f2ca.png

The Ags are still after Sam Brown from Houston.

This dude isn’t gonna sit the bench behind the Youngstown state and ODU guy. He wants to start 

• Haha 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Watching victory88 & Friends Ignorantly Bawl All Over Themselves