2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Give me aTm fan assuming Leonard is following Elko, get excited about the prospect of him, only to have him bail for a real school and for Weigman to retire or transfer as well. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The best part of this offseason is Texas has our QB (and if Ewers come back, our backup as well). 

I love not having to covet every QB who enters the portal to come save our program. 

Buddy...if Ewers comes back that is not how it's going to work. For a number of reasons. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'll argue that most college staffs have discovered that ensuring that all 85 players are getting NIL isn't the most productive outcome for roster management. 

Wasn't the thought, early in this NIL era, that a kind of "floor" salary was a goal we were building towards? I'm happy to just throw money at TOF and let other people figure out what to do with it based on real-world experience, but I could swear I remember that being a featured part of the discussion at some point in the past.

1 minute ago, Fug said:

So should we root for Quinn to come back or leave? 

I dunno man, I'm not going to get to bent out of shape about it either way. I suppose leave, from your point of view. 

Certainly you didn't think Quinn Ewers not getting the draft grade he wanted and telling people he was thinking about returning meant he was going to return to...be a backup QB, get less reps, less chance to improve his draft status, etc. And honestly, there would be some serious shit written about Sark for choosing to do such a thing. Ewers is either going pro, coming back to start, or transferring to start. I don't have any inside information on this or anything, but I view that last option to be...really fucking unlikely. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

I took it to mean if Ewers come back we'll have Arch as the backup instead of having Arch as the starter with no backup.

But this is the recruiting board...so...

I obviously took it the other way, which could be my mistake. I suppose his next comment doesn't really clear it up either, depending on the point of view. 

If Ewers comes back he's starting, to be clear on my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I obviously took it the other way, which could be my mistake. I suppose his next comment doesn't really clear it up either, depending on the point of view. 

If Ewers comes back he's starting, to be clear on my opinion. 

Yeah, I read your info above as you thought arch would leave if Quinn came back. I think Quinn is the better option next year but don’t want to risk losing arch.

7 minutes ago, Fug said:

Yeah, I read your info above as you thought arch would leave if Quinn came back. I think Quinn is the better option next year but don’t want to risk losing arch.

I think Sark is going to have to figure out a way to manage Arch's development if Quinn comes back in a way where he won't look to leave. 

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Wasn't the thought, early in this NIL era, that a kind of "floor" salary was a goal we were building towards? I'm happy to just throw money at TOF and let other people figure out what to do with it based on real-world experience, but I could swear I remember that being a featured part of the discussion at some point in the past.

Your memory is correct. That was the thesis I started with when we wrote the original blueprint for how to weaponize NIL at Texas in July of 2021. That had plenty of help from people here and elsewhere and, absurdly, led us ultimately into TOF. 

No plan survives first battle contact, however, and good organizations learn through that experience and it feeds into the evolution of something that gets better and better. You don't always want all players sticking around and never leaving. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

I heard Texas would have interest, but that was a while back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I think Sark is going to have to figure out a way to manage Arch's development if Quinn comes back in a way where he won't look to leave. 

If Quinn comes back and Arch is not the clear backup, I think we may have problems.  But this is not something I am going to worry about as I don't get paid for such things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

If Quinn comes back and Arch is not the clear backup, I think we may have problems.  But this is not something I am going to worry about as I don't get paid for such things. 

I’m assuming Quinn comes back and starts, but we put an “Arch package” together using his athleticism to keep him on campus and engaged. Wild ass guess. 

Oh, and Maalik is gone. 

Edited by Chili dog
Maalik
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Technically, Maalik is the backup. I would expect him to portal if Quinn returns. From hearing some of the IT guys discuss it, Arch likely stays if Quinn comes back and given that Quinn can’t seem to play a whole season would probably get a few starts. 

We are on the same page here.  I just think it will be important that Arch is the clear backup going into next season.  I like Maalik, but its a crowded room with high risk management.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

We all knew Maalik would be gone the moment Arch committed. I’m glad he at least stayed this year.

Maalik is an example of the portal being good.  Dude came in, stayed 2 years, filled a role and got some film to show teams that would have some interest in him and he’ll go start somewhere for 3 years.  

Good for Maalik.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Sometimes the best ability can be availability, and somehow despite barely playing over the course of two years, Murphy has found ways to be hurt pretty consistently. I get what happened Saturday is freak accident but we are also talking about a dude who had a hurt back leading up to Houston/BYU/KSU and missed time last year because he fell off a scooter after arriving on campus with an ankle injury that cost him all of spring ball as an early enrollee. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Technically, Maalik is the backup. I would expect him to portal if Quinn returns. From hearing some of the IT guys discuss it, Arch likely stays if Quinn comes back and given that Quinn can’t seem to play a whole season would probably get a few starts. 

No one knows shit about Ewers/Manning going forward. Everyone is saying the right things. That's it. Does Ewers actually come back? If he doesn't, there isn't a mystery. If he does, have the Mannings been playing nice but in reality, that's a bridge too far and Manning is heading elsewhere? No one knows those answers but those families. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

No one knows shit about Ewers/Manning going forward. Everyone is saying the right things. That's it. Does Ewers actually come back? If he doesn't, there isn't a mystery. If he does, have the Mannings been playing nice but in reality, that's a bridge too far and Manning is heading elsewhere? No one knows those answers but those families. 

Well, crap. First world problems, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.