USAA lost 1.3 billion dollars last year

My USAA auto insurance premiums went up 16 percent year-year-over year. I was thinking of calling and complaining but then I did some shopping around and discovered that all of the best-known companies would be charging me about the same. Mind you, I'm a dream customer: I have been with USAA for 42 years, average about 8,000 miles per year on my vehicle, have never had a moving violation, and have filed only one claim in that time, when I was 18 years old --- a spotless driving record since then.  Now I see that USAA lost money last year for the first time since it was founded 100 years ago. Not only did it lose money but it lost a ton of money, 1.3 billion dollars.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/usaa-first-loss-18076948.php

I guess I'll stick with them out of blind loyalty. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been with them for 19 years now and my insurance went up last month. I was shocked as I've never had it go up that much. So I called around and no one could beat their prices, so I'm hanging with them. They have been really good to us and we've been through two hurricanes and both times did us right.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, I don't get why USAA has been spending so much on TV ads that essentially say, "you can't have this"

They don’t care about your reaction? They want to make the <eligible customer> feel like they’d be foolish not to take advantage of their exclusive access

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I work for a carrier in Tennessee and we lost $44 million in just auto in Tennessee. The problem with that is you have to raise rates strategically or you lose too much business so we took about 3% less increase than every other carrier. I was told by someone reliable that every carrier in our state lost money last year in auto and it makes sense. Parts are increasing by the second when vendors find out there is a shortage and they mark up the cost even more because they can. I think we are on track to maybe break even at this point. 

57 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I work for a carrier in Tennessee and we lost $44 million in just auto in Tennessee. The problem with that is you have to raise rates strategically or you lose too much business so we took about 3% less increase than every other carrier. I was told by someone reliable that every carrier in our state lost money last year in auto and it makes sense. Parts are increasing by the second when vendors find out there is a shortage and they mark up the cost even more because they can. I think we are on track to maybe break even at this point. 

Add it to the list of ways inflation fucks everyone.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Incredulity said:

This is more supply chain and price gouging imo. Also, cars are more complex to repair now and I think Insurance companies haven’t been proactive with rates to combat it until now. 

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

That's literally just price gouging and profiteering for the sake of profits. The gross margin on a part shouldn't 10x just because you've got someone over a barrel

I’ve been with USAA for 20+ years. I knew I was overpaying for homeowners, but when they tried to raise my rate by 20% this year I finally caved.  I made one phone call to Allstate and they gave me the exact same coverage for 60% less.  My auto rate was competitive, but I switched both.  Clowns. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

This is more supply chain and price gouging imo. Also, cars are more complex to repair now and I think Insurance companies haven’t been proactive with rates to combat it until now. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

That's literally just price gouging and profiteering for the sake of profits. The gross margin on a part shouldn't 10x just because you've got someone over a barrel

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, a drastic increase in profits for suppliers isn't inflation, it's gouging. 

Corporate price gouging is the primary contributor to current inflation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

There is “gouging” because costs went berserk.  Costs went berserk because the government shut everything down while pumping unprecedented stimulus into the economy.

Economic chaos breeds further chaos.

This is not what happened. If costs """go berserk""" then margins don't go to the moon. If you're doing the same amount of business at the same margins on an increased cost basis, you're not going to see a massive jump in profits. But if your cost basis doesn't change but profits increase drastically, then basic algebra dictates that SOMETHING else must be driving the huge profits! And if they're not doing more business then hmmmmmmmm I wonder what else it could be...

You're right, it MUST be the gubmint!

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is not what happened. If costs """go berserk""" then margins don't go to the moon. If you're doing the same amount of business at the same margins on an increased cost basis, you're not going to see a massive jump in profits. But if your cost basis doesn't change but profits increase drastically, then basic algebra dictates that SOMETHING else must be driving the huge profits! And if they're not doing more business then hmmmmmmmm I wonder what else it could be...

You're right, it MUST be the gubmint!

1.) it wasn’t the same amount of business.  Business for everything but travel and hospitality exploded.

2.) yes, the government restricted supply and goosed demand.  I wonder what the result of would be….??

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

1.) it wasn’t the same amount of business.  Business for everything but travel and hospitality exploded.

2.) yes, the government restricted supply and goosed demand.  I wonder what the result of would be….??

So, that's the theory. The evidence, however, shows that The Primary Reason we're experiencing inflation right now is that businesses are jacking up prices for no particular reason other than Because They Can.

So people are starting not to buy things. New cars have basically all been priced at luxury levels, now, so people are starting not to buy them. But some things, like food, you can't not buy.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I have USAA and got a slight bump in my homeowners rate this year. Filled out requests for quotes at 5 different places. State Farm was 3x USAA, and all the others were 2-3x USAA. Guess I'm staying.

go get quotes from a broker 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Incredulity said:

There is “gouging” because costs went berserk.  Costs went berserk because the government shut everything down while pumping unprecedented stimulus into the economy.

Economic chaos breeds further chaos.

A lot of parts come from China so it wasn’t just here. 

13 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

How much of this is cocksuckers that just won’t put down their phones while they drive getting into more, worse collisions? It’s like 90% of drivers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

How much of this is cocksuckers that just won’t put down their phones while they drive getting into more, worse collisions? It’s like 90% of drivers. 

A lot of it. Also, manufacturers keep putting more cameras, radars and sensors on vehicles and crash frequency hasn’t really changed and crash severity has skyrocketed. The average cost of repair used to be around $2,600 4 years ago and it is now $4,000. Manufacturers are also making a lot of shit one time use thus contributing to high repair costs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Manufacturers are also making a lot of shit one time use thus contributing to high repair costs.

If it's got worse durability, then they can make more money off of selling service contracts, parts, or just entire replacements! If it's not illegal to do, they'd be stupid NOT to take advantage and exploit their customers right??

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If it's got worse durability, then they can make more money off of selling service contracts, parts, or just entire replacements! If it's not illegal to do, they'd be stupid NOT to take advantage and exploit their customers right??

Lobbyists are doing God’s work to keep this all legal it appears. 

Edited by Clintonaldo

19 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

My USAA auto insurance premiums went up 16 percent year-year-over year. I was thinking of calling and complaining but then I did some shopping around and discovered that all of the best-known companies would be charging me about the same. Mind you, I'm a dream customer: I have been with USAA for 42 years, average about 8,000 miles per year on my vehicle, have never had a moving violation, and have filed only one claim in that time, when I was 18 years old --- a spotless driving record since then.  Now I see that USAA lost money last year for the first time since it was founded 100 years ago. Not only did it lose money but it lost a ton of money, 1.3 billion dollars.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/usaa-first-loss-18076948.php

We dropped them 4 years ago when they jacked up our auto coverage bigtime, out of nowhere.

let competition work that shit out.  I don't feel an ounce of loyalty with that kind of shot across my bow.  Haven't had an auto claim in a bazillion years, so fuck me, right? Nah, I jumped in a heartbeat..

We moved to Houston several years ago for a temporary 3 year assignment. My wife handled the change of address with usaa for home insurance because I was swamped with business.

After a year it was up for renewal and I got an email notification. It was then I realized we had paid $5,200 for one year. I was not living in James Hardin’s mansion. To make a long story short, they didn’t like that we lived in a subdivision with levees. I left usaa for home insurance back then and used a broker every year since, including for my current house in Austin. USAA was always way way more expensive. Eff ‘em. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Also, manufacturers keep putting more cameras, radars and sensors on vehicles

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/driver-assistance-technologies#:~:text=Forward collision warning systems use,to prevent a potential crash.

all at the mandate or “recommendation” of the federal government.

P.S. A government “recommendation” to vehicle manufacturers isn’t the same as the government recommending you eat less salt.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Got my new GEICO bill and it literally doubled.  From $600/6 months for two 20 year old vehicles to $1200/6 months.  Absurd.  

Find a broker or pm @UTPhil2006

i thought I had good insurance and a good rate. his broker got me much better coverage at a better rate. I just emailed her, asking about reviewing my hurricane coverage 

not thread jacking, just sharing my experience

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Keep going I’m almost there 

how fucking stupid do you have to be, to be running usaa and lose 1.3 bil ?

I could put together a team of surly posters and we’d have that place running like a fine tuned machine !

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:16 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I have been with USAA for 42 years, average about 8,000 miles per year on my vehicle...and have filed only one claim in that time...

they would've lost even more money without you as a customer

I’ve kept USAA for auto and life because I haven’t found a rate with enough of a discount. Also, USAA has been fantastic when filing a claim. My only serious accident was by someone uninsured and USAA took care of everything on my end. 

As for home. USAA was way too expensive. Ditto the broker. I change every year to keep the premium down. 

I tried to go with USAA a couple of times, but I had both my kids on my policy at the time and the rate was almost double what I was currently paying. The rep said, "Yeah, USAA doesn't like teen drivers", so I never tried again. I recently switched to another company because my house rate blew up. Oklahoma usually has horrible rates due to the fucked up weather, but this was ridiculous.  

Funny enough I am at Hilton Head for a work conference and the average cost to repair  went from $3,125 in 2019 to $4,240 in 2022 and the rental average went from 13.5 days to 18.5 days. 

Edit to say this is from a body shop chain that owns 213 shops across the US. 

Edited by Clintonaldo

People don't choose USAA because they offer the lowest price. In fact, every story that I've heard is the opposite. it's for the customer service and quick claim payouts. Whether any of that is true compared to the industry average, I have no idea.

I'm with Amica. My house and car insurance went up this year more than I've ever seen it but it's still a better deal than what I've had with other carriers in the past.